Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Jedi425 posted:

Also, I know when you recruit a character you already have, you get an egg. What do you get when you obtain an MC you already have or have used? Also an egg, or do you get an MC lode?

Greater Egg for MC, Major Egg for MC2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is it worth pulling on this Nightmare draw if I've already got Platinum Sword, Aevis Killer, Iga Blade, Sirius Sidearms, and All-Rounder? That's a decent number of potential dupes, but there's also a shot at Sentinel's Grimoire, Artemis Bow, and a few other relics that I wouldn't mind pulling.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is it worth pulling on this Nightmare draw if I've already got Platinum Sword, Aevis Killer, Iga Blade, Sirius Sidearms, and All-Rounder? That's a decent number of potential dupes, but there's also a shot at Sentinel's Grimoire, Artemis Bow, and a few other relics that I wouldn't mind pulling.

I wouldn't. Not only do you have all those Dupes but this is still a Nightmare banner with terrible Unique SBs like Wakka's Official Ball. Plus it's full price, not half off.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Honestly I don't think anyone should pull on this nightmare banner; Keeper's Choice 2 is pretty much strictly superior for newbies, and anyone else should really be saving for the parade of great banners coming up soon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Your party can probably do the Ultimate and maybe the U+ assuming you have a decent assortment of 4* abilities crafted. Just bring wall as your RW and try to stack as many breakdowns as you can with mist overload + defense and power/magic breakdown. With that and the buff you get from Celes BSB you'll probably be putting out enough damage to kill them before both walls run out.

I tried it with magic breakdown and shellga and I got destroyed by the first dualcast. Of course, I forgot to mention that I have almost no XIII gear to speak of.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Didn't even notice it was full price, screw that then. Definitely rather spend a full-cost pull on OK / Minfilia or a Fest banner.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I tried it with magic breakdown and shellga and I got destroyed by the first dualcast. Of course, I forgot to mention that I have almost no XIII gear to speak of.

that's the nastiest one - if you survive it you get a bit of a breather until the boss loops back around. you might even want to use the defend command.

still, no Full Break is a bit of a missing puzzle piece. another 15 levels wouldn't hurt either.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Jedi425 posted:

So here is where I'm at:

I have Cloud's OSB (which owns, I love breaking 9999), Faris' Beryl Serpent (I don't even remember where I got that drat Bow, but once I saw people talking about it in here I remembered I had a bow for her), and Ramza's Shout. Auron is there for hitting things with Greg's BSB katana and Yuna's my healer/protect/shell monkey.

So far, my plan is to get Greg in his upcoming banner, level him and swap him for Auron eventually, so I can use that BSB. I have 4* Fire/Lightning/Ice magic, Prot/Shell,Cure-agas, Power/Magic Breakdown, one Lifesiphon (currently riding on Ramza), and I could put Drawtaliate on Auron if I wanted to. Aside from getting more levels/MCII lodes (duh), what should I be focusing on? Based on what I'm reading and what I already have, the next couple of banners (the Support nightmare and the Revenge bosses) aren't worth the mythril, right? I don't have a Sentinel's Grimoire, but I can RW that. I'm nowhere near the point where I can level up a shitload of people, I'm just trying to get an A-team for like, U+ fights. I know I'm hosed for things like the Nightmares without more characters leveled.

Also, I know when you recruit a character you already have, you get an egg. What do you get when you obtain an MC you already have or have used? Also an egg, or do you get an MC lode?

RMs! Pretty much key at your stage now, you really want to be able to open a fight with Shout and Beryl Serpent for hard content.

What level is your Tyro? It's worth blowing 3 MCII lodes on Cloud, Ramza and Tyro if you need - do you have any spare? If you only have one, prioritise Cloud.

Double break Cloud + Tyro, do the Shinra Cargo Ship elite with Cloud, win, get cloud's RM2 (Soldier Counter), then grind 2-stamina dungeons with Tyro, Ramza and Cloud in your party until you have Mako Might, Dr Mog's Teachings and Battleforged.

Also, you are by no means hosed for nightmares, you could definitely do them. You should, too, because that right there is a goldmine of major orbs, which you can use for whatever you need. It's Cid Missions you are hosed for, but that's absolute endgame content at the moment so don't worry about it. Most people don't.

Inge fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 16, 2016

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Going forward, it's hard to justify pulling on the themed Nightmare banners now when your "guaranteed 5*" could still be a landmine like Healing Grimoire. At least when they were half price it felt more worth it to roll the dice. Except for the time I pulled 2 Healing Grimoires on the same lucky draw.

I do like how the select screen on each Nightmare has swapped out the word "Difficulty" for "Rounds". 20 Stamina, 130 Rounds... um

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

That threw me off, at first I thought they had changed up the format of the newest Nightmare bosses and made it a really long gauntlet or something? Seems like an odd term to replace "Difficulty" with. What was wrong with "difficulty"?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

That threw me off, at first I thought they had changed up the format of the newest Nightmare bosses and made it a really long gauntlet or something? Seems like an odd term to replace "Difficulty" with. What was wrong with "difficulty"?

I think it was a typo or otherwise a general unintended fuckup. Like someone didn't understand what number went where.

Either that, or potentially Multiplayer Raids (and/or Torment dungeons) use the same picture layout and nobody thought about consequences in replacing files.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Nightmare Necrophobe is a tough nut. I would recommend anyone fighting him to bring magic lure or something like a vaan bsb rw, cause his flare was hitting for over 3k in phase two with only two barriers active.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
I like to live dangerously, so I did an 11 pull on the crapshoot nightmare banner.

Canopus AMPs and Crystal Comb. Magic Dodge Boostga and thing that stacks with Boostga? Sounds good to me.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If I've managed to collect all extant characters thus far, do I need to care about keeping any more Souls of a Hero? Similarly, do I need to care about keeping any generic MCs when I collect all of the personalized ones?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

NGDBSS posted:

If I've managed to collect all extant characters thus far, do I need to care about keeping any more Souls of a Hero? Similarly, do I need to care about keeping any generic MCs when I collect all of the personalized ones?

Just keep a handful, exchange the rest.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

NGDBSS posted:

No and No. Any new characters will be introduced in an event along with their MC1 and 2s.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SageAcrin posted:

Thing about Sheepsong(as a beginner thing); Hastega+Heavy Regen alone is a pretty solid Soul Break.

So you don't necessarily haaaave to heavily leverage the magic thing(though, it does make going heavily magic early much more attractive), because it's just plain good no matter what.

One thing about Mage teams and beginner hones is that the standard advice in that regard is a bit outdated. You need a bit more of a baseline (you can't cover your lack of protect/shell/breaks with wall, for DU, you still need some way to cover trash), but in the era of VERY GOOD Mage burst RW's, having two mages with synergy weapons and sheepsong means you don't actually need many honed spells of your own for most content.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NGDBSS posted:

Only if you foresee yourself taking several weeks off for some reason and missing new intros. And even then, you'll get enough souls to catch up super quickly on returning.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

With the new Nightmare dungeons mc2 Lode, I'm up to 7, with 8 mc2s left to unlock. Then they can start collecting dust like the hero Soul's/mc1 lodes I'm too lazy to exchange for eggs :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NGDBSS posted:

This made me check- I've got 46 Soul of Heroes and 45 MC1 lodes. Mmm, that's a lot of greater growth eggs, but I think I'll just wait and see how big the pile grows.

Also, the Leviathan fight was a pain in the rear end. He was getting two turns (four attacks) in before I even took a single action, and that's without haste. He was petrifying people through petrify-resist accessories. He was a big jerk. Comparatively all the other gatekeeper bosses were easy; haven't tried Necrophobe yet.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

CaptainPsyko posted:

One thing about Mage teams and beginner hones is that the standard advice in that regard is a bit outdated. You need a bit more of a baseline (you can't cover your lack of protect/shell/breaks with wall, for DU, you still need some way to cover trash), but in the era of VERY GOOD Mage burst RW's, having two mages with synergy weapons and sheepsong means you don't actually need many honed spells of your own for most content.

Yeah, I get by surprisingly well with my low tier Faithga, Krile's OTHER SSB, and Dagger of Resolve.

Some good things to target for an early mage team(that I wish someone had told me to look at); Ruin(is basically mage Double Cut), Comet(is better version of the same), Drain(A little weak for 3* but heals you, is actually very very good for 3*, unlike its 4* counterpart-which sees tons of use-is only like 10% weaker than other 3* spells instead of like 30%), 2* Drake(Dirt cheap AoE, if you happen to have a Summoner there's worse things early on. Then again, since you tend to get a fair deal of Summon Orbs/Greater Orbs if you get any at all, you may as well go for a 3* instead, they're not much more expensive and are very solid staples.), Water line(Watera is the strongest 2* IIRC, Waterga casts a bit faster than most 3*s, the cost is that they build a bit less SB gauge, but it's so minor that you'll never notice.).

Also, randomly; Screw Leviathan. I'm going to have to be more cautious with this batch of Nightmares, I hate wasting stamina, but I was not expecting "130" to actually mean "slightly frail 160". No, I don't usually expect enemies weaker than Ultimates to be packing attacks that do 800 through Shellga/Wall, can be doubleacted, are on a boss with Haste, and that goes so fast with Haste that it was able to act before the Dispel I cued up during its double act animation where it cast Haste.

I mean, I full medaled it after bringing in Dispel and Shellga, but I was kinda floored. I expected breaks+wall to be enough. Probably would have been if I ever lived to get Breaks+Wall up...

Edit: Oh, the others aren't as (relatively) bad? That's good to hear.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

FF3 Leviathan has always been kind of an rear end in a top hat, hasn't he? The random petrification is annoying. Ultra Cure can't come soon enough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Alxprit posted:

FF3 Leviathan has always been kind of an rear end in a top hat, hasn't he? The random petrification is annoying. Ultra Cure can't come soon enough.

You can Drawtaliate, but popping a Reflect on him before he takes his first turn is very annoying since he doesn't have any charge time for his moves. But yeah, he's ever been a fun fight.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So, fun note a fellow goon just found out when trying to beat Nightmare Evrae:

The lenses use Explosion after any Instant KO move, not just Raise. If you intend on bringing Selphie BSB to make life easier, pop it before phase 2, not during.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I still need to do Nightmare Evraltana. First attempt I took a Strange Vision RW to the lens phase, but when it did enough straight damage to wipe everything they all exploded and wiped the party which... doesn't seem quite right. Although neither of the White Magic nightmares is likely well-designed, having it break this easily is a bad sign...

e: yes I am the above mentioned person.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Good ol' FF3 Leviathan being randomly harder than most Ultimate bosses. :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Phew, that was a tricky one! It is NOT easy keeping track of all the timers and which timers go to which barrier and who has the breakdown to turn off the right barriers while balancing his offense/defense and keeping up mitigation and buffs... Especially when you're color blind and it's not easy to tell which aura is which.

Runic put in a lot of work, not just mitigating damage but actually allowing me to not run out of hones. Of course, by the end he started picking people off one by one and I was seconds away from losing mastery, so a magic blink might be better... Still, even with shellga and SG and runic I was taking a lot of damage and almost died in phase 2, if I didn't get a lucky string of single-target attacks that got runic'd.

Anyway, glad that's done.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Inge posted:

RMs! Pretty much key at your stage now, you really want to be able to open a fight with Shout and Beryl Serpent for hard content.

What level is your Tyro? It's worth blowing 3 MCII lodes on Cloud, Ramza and Tyro if you need - do you have any spare? If you only have one, prioritise Cloud.

Double break Cloud + Tyro, do the Shinra Cargo Ship elite with Cloud, win, get cloud's RM2 (Soldier Counter), then grind 2-stamina dungeons with Tyro, Ramza and Cloud in your party until you have Mako Might, Dr Mog's Teachings and Battleforged.

Also, you are by no means hosed for nightmares, you could definitely do them. You should, too, because that right there is a goldmine of major orbs, which you can use for whatever you need. It's Cid Missions you are hosed for, but that's absolute endgame content at the moment so don't worry about it. Most people don't.

I had one MCII lode (somehow, I mastered the Behemoth FFXIII fight, I don't even know how) , so I dropped it on Cloud. Thanks for this, I didn't even know there were RMs that let you start with a bar of soul break. That makes all the talk of using Shout for everything make way more sense. With any luck, I can scrape up another MCII soon.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

AweStriker posted:

I still need to do Nightmare Evraltana. First attempt I took a Strange Vision RW to the lens phase, but when it did enough straight damage to wipe everything they all exploded and wiped the party which... doesn't seem quite right. Although neither of the White Magic nightmares is likely well-designed, having it break this easily is a bad sign...

e: yes I am the above mentioned person.
Don't forget we've got other (offensive) White Mage BSBs now. Minwu's works well as a Hastega if you need one and Heavy Regen to get rid of Poison.

Jedi425 posted:

I had one MCII lode (somehow, I mastered the Behemoth FFXIII fight, I don't even know how) , so I dropped it on Cloud. Thanks for this, I didn't even know there were RMs that let you start with a bar of soul break. That makes all the talk of using Shout for everything make way more sense. With any luck, I can scrape up another MCII soon.

A good MCII to aim for is the FFX boss in the Curada Nightmare.

It's a pure damage check, because the whole gimmick behind the boss is if you Berserk it, all it does is spam a %HP attack, which means it can't kill you while berserked.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

pichupal posted:

Don't forget we've got other (offensive) White Mage BSBs now. Minwu's works well as a Hastega if you need one and Heavy Regen to get rid of Poison.

Aerith's is also a good option - should 2HKO the mirrors while healing your party at the same time. It doesn't have an offensive command though.

All four guardians were pretty annoying this time round. Leviathan and Jenova were really fast, Rubicante still has his cloak, and Vinusakar starts off alright but really starts ramping up the speed down the road, but honestly he's the easiest of the four.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I guess I should have asked which of Fran's supers you had. If you have the traitor's bow, mist overload is a better version of full break as a soul break. Did you take a sentinel's grimoire or stoneskin II RW with you? You pretty much need to get that up and shell asap before the boss attacks if possible. Wall is your lifeline in the Ultimate fights especially with lvl 65 characters and no synergy. With only shellga and magic breakdown you will most definitely die.

Also if you haven't you should probably get either tyro or cloud or preferably both of them up to 65 and grind out their record materia. Specifically mako might and dr. mog's teachings will give you a whole soul break bar at the start of the fight so that people like aeris can do party heals if needed and someone can get their buff/debuff soul break out right at the start.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Still whacking away at Necrophobe, but it's definitely a doozy. My lack of native Shout is definitely hurting me, as having to RW it means I can't RW Grand Cross or Sentinel's Grimoire. I might actually go and pop Multi Break onto Tyro; it won't affect the barriers, but it will weaken their damage and a string of 4 AoEs or a Flare on a weakened character means somebody's gonna die.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Weirdly enough I didn't have much trouble at all with Leviathan. He never petrified anyone even though I only have one accessory that resists it and forgot to equip it anyway. Ashe's BSB wrecked him pretty good, and I just have Gilgamesh spamming Banishing Strike every turn, which usually made him waste his turns putting Reflect and / or Haste back on himself instead of doing anything dangerous. No wall, but with Full Break + Shellga + Magic Breakdown, his Tsunami was doing like 500 damage, so nothing too scary.

This probably means that I'm going to spend tomorrow getting viciously swirlied by the other bosses for this dungeon that everyone is saying are easier.

I still have a ton of Nightmare stuff to finish, in general. That Gargoyle fight in particular seems really annoying, and I'm really not looking forward to Mandragoras / Gigases. Probably can't even come close to finishing those with where I'm at so far. drat game just give me a wall so I can RW something more useful :argh:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

There is way too much going on in the newest Nightmare and it's really hard to figure out what the gently caress is going on and why do I need a loving spreadsheet to remember which character is doomed by which barrier and aaaaaa :supaburn:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

There is way too much going on in the newest Nightmare and it's really hard to figure out what the gently caress is going on and why do I need a loving spreadsheet to remember which character is doomed by which barrier and aaaaaa :supaburn:

Just remember that the front barriers are offensive, back barriers are defensive. Top barriers are physical, bottom barriers are magical.

For those bringing Carbuncle for this fight, just pointing out that it seems like Flare from the barriers can't be reflected. You'll eat 4k from them with only Shellga up.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Don't the Nightmare lucky draws eventually become 'always SSB or better' at some point?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Just barely missed out on Mastery - if he had hit anyone other than Tyro with Nightmare Flare, I'd have gotten Mastery, since the other three had Magic Blink up. At least now I know it can be done, it's just very tricky with quite a bit of RNG.

I'll have another go at him in a while, but I need a break from that for a bit.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Welp, I went with my heart and just yolo pulled on the XI banner again and picked up Shantotto's Lightning Chain SB so I guess pulling Kain's BSB way back when I started is finally gonna pay off.

Have to actually inventory any other Lightning stuff I can potentially throw on a team too, if only to see how big it can get when you really try to go after that chain.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just remember that the front barriers are offensive, back barriers are defensive. Top barriers are physical, bottom barriers are magical.

For those bringing Carbuncle for this fight, just pointing out that it seems like Flare from the barriers can't be reflected. You'll eat 4k from them with only Shellga up.

Flare absolutely respects Reflect. Nightmare Flare doesn't, however (phase 3). You're supposed to kill him before he gets to Phase 3, because Nightmare Flare is his only move and it's essentially "kill one character per turn".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zurai posted:

Flare absolutely respects Reflect. Nightmare Flare doesn't, however (phase 3). You're supposed to kill him before he gets to Phase 3, because Nightmare Flare is his only move and it's essentially "kill one character per turn".

Necrophobe's Flare respects it, but not the Barriers' version (specifically, the lower left Barrier has some form of Flare that cuts through Reflect).

Mastery run went much smoother anyway, ended up with only Larsa dead (seconds before Tyro would have gotten Keeper's Tome up again). Had Vaan bring Northern Cross for some extra damage in place of Magic Breakdown. Even managed a couple turns with all four Dooms up.

• Locked thread