Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Benson Cunningham posted:

Speaking of the time gem, that poo poo really confused me. When activated, does it rewind time/entropy in a local area, or across the entire universe? It seems to be local, as with the apple. So what happens if someone walks into a room and Strange rewinds time in the room to a time before they walked in? That would expel them from the room, but would they then be in the future relative to when they entered the room, or in the past about to walk into the room again?

Overall, it was OK. Nothing ground breaking, but clearly Marvel isn't going for art, they just want to push out 2 hours of entertainment and make a few hundred million.

It may not be localized to an area, but to a specific 'cause' effecting an object.

Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I would encourage you all to take the advice of both Looper and Austin Powers 3 - don't think about time travel, just have fun.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The confusing part about the apple was when he moved time forward and more bites were taken out of it. Who continued to eat the apple, and when?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lobok posted:

The confusing part about the apple was when he moved time forward and more bites were taken out of it. Who continued to eat the apple, and when?
It's like Photoshop's content-aware fill.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

By playing with time, he tapped into a timeline where he continued to eat the apple instead of playing with time.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Speaking of the time gem, that poo poo really confused me. When activated, does it rewind time/entropy in a local area, or across the entire universe? It seems to be local, as with the apple. So what happens if someone walks into a room and Strange rewinds time in the room to a time before they walked in? That would expel them from the room, but would they then be in the future relative to when they entered the room, or in the past about to walk into the room again?

It's the Time Gem, it has control of time. All of it, period. What can it do relative to manipulating time? Literally anything.

Probably suck if some total rear end in a top hat got a whole bunch of gems like that and was omnipotent, wouldn't it?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I was wondering if the apple bites were continuously being removed/put back into Strange's stomach, the ones further down the line "as if" he had eaten them or something.

Overall though I'm really not concerned about any of the mechanics involved. In fact, there's a billion more reasons than even usual to not worry about this particular timey-wimey bullshit:
- It's actively controlled by literal magic so it will always do whatever the hell the user wants it to
- It is a power mind-bogglingly beyond the usual (like all the Stones have), so if it seems like it's a little implausible that this particular effect should work, it's probably not
- The usage for the finale is inside a dimension that explicitly does not play by the normal rules of reality, especially time, so it is quite literally "anything goes, whatever". This is true for both Strange and Dormammu, as they are inside it, and of course doubly for Dormammu, who is used to it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Everyone is also amazed that Strange could manipulate the Eye, so it's best to think that it can control any and all aspects of time, and Strange was able to harness that ability precisely... almost as if he was a surgeon and the Eye was his instrument.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doctor Strange poops back and fourth.

Forever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Imagine taking a a good poo poo; the ones that feel good.

Just activate the eye. Or like a good sneeze.

"Ummm, one more time please."

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It was the first cool scene that even represented what the infinity stones can do they're building up so much. The others just variously seem to make portals/give you ambiguous strength, and lots of other stuff in their world does that already.

What would be a 'whoa' application of the soul gem, for instance? Can they make them individually interesting in the movie I wonder?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Electromax posted:

What would be a 'whoa' application of the soul gem, for instance? Can they make them individually interesting in the movie I wonder?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Electromax posted:

It was the first cool scene that even represented what the infinity stones can do they're building up so much. The others just variously seem to make portals/give you ambiguous strength, and lots of other stuff in their world does that already.

Use of the soul gem may be the first resurrection in the MCU. Allegedly Thor 3 will be about the use of it bringing Ragnarok.

My pet theory is that Death has the soul gem. Thanos has the others and goes to her to get it. Since he's both in love with and less powerful than Death, she refuses and that starts him off on The Infinity War (some of you know how well that turns out for him).

Hell, that could be the driving force behind Ragnarok. After all, they've dropped all pretence that these "standalone" movies are cinematic islands.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Doctor Strange poops back and fourth.

Forever.

Human Centipede 4d

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

My pet theory is that Death has the soul gem.

Do you think they are going to actually do the death/Thanos thing in the movies? It was a good story in a comic book but just seems like it'd be impossible to not come off as absolutely goofy as hell in a movie.

It seems like at best you could have some wordless flashback of him looking more human and being rejected by an unnamed lady and then making an angry face and fans knowing what that was. I just can not imagine them trying to do a romance subplot with the design they have settled on for the movies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do you think they are going to actually do the death/Thanos thing in the movies? It was a good story in a comic book but just seems like it'd be impossible to not come off as absolutely goofy as hell in a movie.

It seems like at best you could have some wordless flashback of him looking more human and being rejected by an unnamed lady and then making an angry face and fans knowing what that was. I just can not imagine them trying to do a romance subplot with the design they have settled on for the movies.

No, not really.
If they had the ability to go whole-hog, they'd have Death reject Thanos in favor of Deadpool.

I really doubt we are going to get a lot of Thanos characterization, despite his implied presence throughout this whole saga.
We're in the third phase now and he's only confirmed to be a main character in two movies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Marvel's going to be inspired by the first ten minutes of UP and the reveal at the end of that will be Thanos, on his knees, talking to a robe hung up on a coat rack, begging to take him back and how he'll be stronger.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

I really doubt we are going to get a lot of Thanos characterization, despite his implied presence throughout this whole saga.
We're in the third phase now and he's only confirmed to be a main character in two movies.

I actually wonder if they stole the design they had made for thanos for dormammu. Since this movie's dormammu looks pretty much nothing like the comic version but looked pretty much like what you'd imagine a powered up movie thanos would look like. Like I wonder if they worked out a design then threw it out and decided to recycle the work into this movie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In a surprising crossover, an interdimensional being who can only manifest into our universe through a screen will intercept the infinity gems and bequeath them to a group of teenagers with attitude, Thanos sends a new monster every week to try and stop them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I actually wonder if they stole the design they had made for thanos for dormammu. Since this movie's dormammu looks pretty much nothing like the comic version but looked pretty much like what you'd imagine a powered up movie thanos would look like. Like I wonder if they worked out a design then threw it out and decided to recycle the work into this movie.

I'd bet that it was coincidental considering Bendytoots played Dormammu, right?

Marvel would have to be Extra A+++ stupid to make Thanos, the most powerful recurring villain into a space cloud.

I mean, they're not making Fantastic Four over here! :haw:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

This is the most computer game movie ever. Dr. Strange savescummed saving the world! Hah!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are we starting wild speculation on the rest of Phase 3 yet?

What movies are left:
-Ant Man 2
-Guardians 2
-Thor 3
-Black Panther
-Inhumans (maybe a TV offshoot of SHIELD?)
-Spider-Man: Homecoming (with a possible sequel)
-Infinity War 1 & 2

What am I missing?
I'm very curious to see what they release between IW 1 and 2 and if it will have any significant impact.

Furthermore, Guardians 2 has been confirmed to not have any bearing on IW but I can't see how that is possible.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Inhumans the film was cancelled, replaced by Inhumans the TV show, starting next year.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

I was wondering if the apple bites were continuously being removed/put back into Strange's stomach, the ones further down the line "as if" he had eaten them or something.

I think the apple bites were more of a visual shorthand that the Eye manipulates time. If the apple just rotted there without the additional bites, we would think it was some sort of death or decay relic. I liked the effect, since it leads to him analyzing the effects and then pulling the same trick on the book to "repair" the missing page.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I got this impression too that he's not turning all of one stream of time back and forth, but effecting the flow of time to transport himself to different timlines where x is happening instead of y or x hasn't/has happened yet in y way. This is why he gets the best of Dormammu, a being that exists across and has no concept of time at all until Strange met him with the amulet.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

jivjov posted:

Inhumans the film was cancelled, replaced by Inhumans the TV show, starting next year.

So we still have a chance at Inhumanoids - The Movie?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vorgen posted:

This is the most computer game movie ever. Dr. Strange savescummed saving the world! Hah!

I think that prize still goes to Edge of Tomorrow.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

jivjov posted:

I think it's technically a miniseries from what I've read

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

achillesforever6 posted:

I think it's technically a miniseries from what I've read

Yeah; it's 8 or 10 episodes. The first two are getting an IMAX theatrical run

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

Marvel would have to be Extra A+++ stupid to make Thanos, the most powerful recurring villain into a space cloud.

He looks like winston from overwatch's purple grandpa right now. He will eventually get the gauntlet full of gems and they are gonna show him all final form at some point. "make him really big" has usually been the solution in comics media. Usually in that way where he's as big as the entire moon in one shot then iron man is half the size of his face while they talk.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The issue is now that Dormammu is more memorable and recent. No one really knows what Thanos is about. He's barely in these movies.

They should just mush the two together.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Instead he becomes super tiny and a job for The Ant-Man.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thanos is gonna be in Thor 3 waltzing out with a gen as the entire city is in smoldering ruins, bitchslapping Hulk and Thor as Loki's broken body is on a spike in the throne room.

He will hear the lamentation of their women as he grins and goes after the next gem.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He looks like winston from overwatch's purple grandpa right now. He will eventually get the gauntlet full of gems and they are gonna show him all final form at some point. "make him really big" has usually been the solution in comics media. Usually in that way where he's as big as the entire moon in one shot then iron man is half the size of his face while they talk.

I don't think he looks ape-like. He has a huge chin but otherwise he's just a giant muscular dude. I mean, he is human after all.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

I don't think he looks ape-like. He has a huge chin but otherwise he's just a giant muscular dude. I mean, he is human after all.

vs

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I know what they look like and I don't think they looks the same aside from somewhat similar skin tones.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, I know what they look like and I don't think they looks the same aside from somewhat similar skin tones.
Whoa. Are you calling Owlofcreamcheese a racist? Savage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd kinda like to see an extra dimensional being end up kinda ruined by being exposed to something that he never had a concept for but now he does. Like Dormammu never minded spending eternity in his little pocket of the multiverse because no concept of time, but oh poo poo, now he's noticing it passing. Now his eternity is feeling like an eternity. May even get desperate to get to another dimension just to be where time would pass again. Not saying they should do it here because it wouldn't work here, but it could be a fun thing to explore in a different story.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

That pic has me thinking about Thanos either himself taking the time or hiring someone to install rocket boosters on his arm rest rocks instead of just having an actual chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

mary had a little clam posted:

That pic has me thinking about Thanos either himself taking the time or hiring someone to install rocket boosters on his arm rest rocks instead of just having an actual chair.
I mean when the technology exists who wouldn't get rocket boosters for rocks for armrests?

• Locked thread