Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Horrible mechanical design failure

Ultra-minimal

Ultra-useless

Literally everything is wrong

http://schneidersarto.com/wrench-aesthetics/

How do good people die and this fucker is allowed to continue living?

Can't wait for his ultra-minimal screwdriver that's a loose tip from a dollar store ratcheting screwdriver with some sandpaper and barbed wire wrapped around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The only tool here

Is the designer :grin:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

No. 6 posted:

The only tool here

Is the designer :grin:

Well technically those are tools. They are a quick and efficient way of communicating to the viewer that their designer is a stupid fuckstick.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Are there really prople c asking for a designer tools like that? Wouldn't anybody v with those hobbies v either be rich enough to pay b someone else or know enough to have v actual tools?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Deteriorata posted:

The only aesthetics for a tool is how well it does the job it's designed to do. Tools that aren't designed to be used aren't tools.

Oh god this. Because the most important thing for a tool is how it looks and not, you know, how it functions.

BAD DESIGN :argh: It seriously looks like someone looked at a wrench and figured out all the ways to make it useless:

-5mm thick so it hurts your palm
-120mm long so you can barely grip it
-60mm wide so the smallest wrench has needlessly bulky jaws
-No taper so good luck using it on a fastener that doesn't have loads of clearance around it
-ROMAN NUMERALS? That will look great for a SAE set
-No hole for a lanyard/keyring/hook so I guess I'm supposed to stack them like Jenga

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
better order a few extra Xs

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

Are there really prople c asking for a designer tools like that? Wouldn't anybody v with those hobbies v either be rich enough to pay b someone else or know enough to have v actual tools?

These "tools" only need a usb-c plug...

I wanna see Joe Dildo use those on a modern European or Japanese car.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 16, 2016

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

ExplodingSims posted:

Look at all the kickstarter projects under the Design category. It's just teeming with useless wankery but because they have look m i n i m a l i s t people are falling over each other because it looks like good design.

I just remembered this:

Want to you use your wireless mouse while it's charging?

gently caress you buy another one

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 16, 2016

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Ultra-minimal

Ultra-useless

We've done it, folks. We have achieved artisinal wrenches.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Forcing the designer to use his own tools is the best punishment I can think of.

E:

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I just remembered this:

I think the ultimate goal here was to keep users from leaving the mouse plugged in 24/7, because that would spoil the designer's vision. If it were actually for safety it would be a pretty elegant solution, but you'd expect this mouse to have a built-in overcharge protection circuit already.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 16, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Look at all the kickstarter projects under the Design category. It's just teeming with useless wankery but because they have look m i n i m a l i s t people are falling over each other because it looks like good design.

I just remembered this:

I mean, I've seen all sorts f poo poo on there, this is still just mind boggling though, I can't imagine a market for them.

But hey in a few months well be saying President Donald Trump so I guess anything is possible!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Each of those fuckers would weigh over 1/4lb

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I just remembered this:

loving apple man, not even once.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

I mean, I've seen all sorts f poo poo on there, this is still just mind boggling though, I can't imagine a market for them.

But hey in a few months well be saying President Donald Trump so I guess anything is possible!

Difference is that people actively want Donald Trump. This poo poo is just shat out by committee.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Ultra-minimal

Ultra-useless

My hands hurt looking at these. One of my major pet peeves is sharp tool handles.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

iwentdoodie posted:

This race is totally reusable right

This one only had about 2000 or so miles on it. Timkin, even.

That's the first and last time I trade beer for a friend to press in a new bearing.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CommieGIR posted:

My hands hurt looking at these. One of my major pet peeves is sharp tool handles.

Click the link, they're just a little too small for the model's hands, which look like an average man's hand. Now imagine a wrench that is too wide to get anywhere, too short to grip, too short to provide adequate leverage, and that also has harsh angles that dig into your hands.

Congratulations on your industrial design award, everyone who has to touch the wrench hates you

E: This is on the bottom of their homepage

quote:

Sometimes the solution is worse than the problem.

At least they tried using the stuff they designed...

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 16, 2016

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The Door Frame posted:

Click the link, they're just a little too small for the model's hands, which look like an average man's hand. Now imagine a wrench that is too wide to get anywhere, too short to grip, too short to provide adequate leverage, and that also has harsh angles that dig into your hands.

Congratulations on your industrial design award, everyone who has to touch the wrench hates you

They look like an award, actually. The stack of them look like what would be given out as a tool design award. It's useless as an actual tool but would look good welded to a plaque, maybe.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
An award makes sense, but I'm convinced that they're just some industrial designer's art project that his professor liked enough that he added them directly to his portfolio. I see no way to purchase them on the site, and the fact that they don't have a real case to keep them in makes me hope that they're not supposed to be used

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wrench-aesthetics#/

Thankfully it failed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You know for something going for a e s t h e t i c, the weird size difference between his X and V sure doesn't help

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

This one only had about 2000 or so miles on it. Timkin, even.

That's the first and last time I trade beer for a friend to press in a new bearing.
Improper installation, be it technique or general handling, account for the vast majority of premature bearing failures in my experience.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrChips posted:

You know for something going for a e s t h e t i c, the weird size difference between his X and V sure doesn't help

naw man, see, the X and V have the same angle, that makes it look good. That's how fonts work, right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slidebite posted:

Improper installation, be it technique or general handling, account for the vast majority of premature bearing failures in my experience.

Yeah I figured it was an installation issue. It was making some odd noises up to the failure. I'd get a random clicking here and there that made me think CV joint... then one night got a horrific grinding that shook the car pretty violently. Pulled over immediately, my boss picked me up so we could finish my delivery (was doing pizza delivery at the time), got it towed home, went back to just clicking after the tow. I still limped it very slowly to my mechanic the next day.

The outer CV joint boot on that side had been ripped for a long time, with the CV joint making a lot of racket, so both myself and my longtime mechanic (NOT the one who installed the bearing) figured it was the CV joint. Slapped a new half shaft in, and ... click... click... GRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINDclickclickGRINDclick... so out came the bearing puller.

IIRC he hit me with his actual cost for parts (axle, wheel bearing, seals), and the labor for the bearing. He let me off really light on that, but he was just as interested in finding out what the hell was going on as I was. Plus I "helped" (by sweeping up the mess that the exploding bearing made).

He said he'd never seen anything like it. And I know it was a quality bearing - Timkin. I'm not sure what brand went back in (it came from O'Reilly's), but it never made noise again.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If it came from oreillys, it was either master pro (in house poop) or National, which aren't bad.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Are you sure it wasn't a Timken bearing? Perhaps the misspelling is indicative of a Chinese bearing...

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The size of those wrenches is what kills me. 10-15mm seems like such an odd spread.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

honda whisperer posted:

The size of those wrenches is what kills me. 10-15mm seems like such an odd spread.

I've never seen an 11mm bolt on a car. I've met 10,12,14,17,19 on Japanese, and 8,10,13,15,18 on Fords (maybe other American cars?). And that's all my experience.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

And it's lightning, not usb-c, and the usb cable appears to be lightning to usb-a? What is this, lenovo?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I've never seen an 11mm bolt on a car. I've met 10,12,14,17,19 on Japanese, and 8,10,13,15,18 on Fords (maybe other American cars?). And that's all my experience.

They exist on Audi's :smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure I've used an 11mm socket on my BMW.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

And it's lightning, not usb-c, and the usb cable appears to be lightning to usb-a? What is this, lenovo?

Those mice came out years ago, before USB-c.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Crustashio posted:

better order a few extra Xs

Today while working on my truck, I suffered from the curse of the missing 10mm wrench.

Worst part is there should be two of them for exactly this scenario.

Ordering 20.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I think I've used the most weird size metric stuff in German cars. It's been a while though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I just remembered this:

Supposedly it can get a 9-hour charge in about 2 minutes, so it's not as big of a deal as it seems. If your mouse dies, plug it in and go to the bathroom. It'll be good to go when you get back.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
But they could've handled it a lot differently.

Hell, even creatively. Like, make it so you press down a little hard on the back and it pops up 5mm to reveal a usb port. Use mouse as normal until charged and then unplug and press the case back down.

See, that would be kinda cool.

What they did was lazy.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure I've used an 11mm socket on my BMW.

honda whisperer posted:

I think I've used the most weird size metric stuff in German cars. It's been a while though.

Can confirm. Every size metric bolt imaginable will be on a BMW, and some weirder ones show up on VAG's

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Until I got the Porsche, I don't think I ever used an odd number socket on any of my Japanese cars since I was a kid, with the exception of 17mm and 19mm. 8, 10, 12, 14 probably were 90% of the fasteners. Now I run into 13 and 15 very commonly and have to actually think about it grabbing a socket/wrench now.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Audi loving loves 11, 13 and 15 and triple square. Makes me miss Japanese cars where a bag of 10mm sockets will get you about 70% of the way to disassembling the entire car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Literally the only Snap-on wrench I own is an 11mm one that I found two years ago. I think I've used it once. I don't even remember on what, just being all excited that I finally got to actually use it.