Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Bro Dad posted:

brett gelman is a loving dumbass, every show at adult swim (even rick and morty) has woman writers. and producers. and animators. half the loving shows on their stream are hosted by women, yet mde exists and mike lazzo said some dumb poo poo so better burn those bridges. meanwhile women purposely apply to work at williams street because its far away from the toxic chauvinism of hollywood and they're treated like actual people

also something tells me he's not gonna stop cashing checks sent by Actual Rapist Harvey Weinstein

Sounds like you have some actual inside knowledge of the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sounds like you have some actual inside knowledge of the place.

ex was an intern there (also got to go inside and see the actual fishcenter tank omg) and it was quite surprising, seriously the most equal gender ratio of any company ive ever seen. also helps there's a ton of women now trying to get into animation and williams street is one of the few places who will look at a person straight out of school.

meanwhile a friend who does audio stuff for legendary pictures showed me around and the only woman in the entire building was a receptionist

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

ex was an intern there (also got to go inside and see the actual fishcenter tank omg) and it was quite surprising, seriously the most equal gender ratio of any company ive ever seen. also helps there's a ton of women now trying to get into animation and williams street is one of the few places who will look at a person straight out of school.

meanwhile a friend who does audio stuff for legendary pictures showed me around and the only woman in the entire building was a receptionist

Interesting. Maybe Adult Swim being so friendly to women correlates to it being so good? It's interesting that a channel that focuses on such a male demographic has so many women working for it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bro Dad posted:

Well it's good to hear that bit about it was bullshit at least, that's cool poo poo.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The criticism wasn't that there are no lower-level women staff, it was that almost none of the shows were created by women.

The newest slate of over 40 shows has exactly 0 women creators.

I mean it sounds like that's not the whole story but there's still serious room for improvement, obviously.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Adult Swim brought my college radio station a poo poo load of burritos and drinks while we organizing against the university selling our daytime analog signal to the shitheads at Georgia Public Broadcasting, so I can't hate them too much. It's unfortunate about the alt right show though.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

this is making me crazy. If you like anything you see on Adult Swim – then you would like Lazzo. His sensibility is the sensibility of the block. Nothing happens without his approval, which, as maddening as that can be when you work for him, is why Adult Swim is so great. He's passionate about making this place creatively authentic, true to the voice and the vision. His life is basically Adult Swim, and golf. He is a little bit crazy, yes, but so are all creatives.

I am a woman. I have worked at Adult Swim since 2002. There are SO MANY of us here. We are strong, smart, funny, outspoken women, and absolutely, positively would not be in this building if we were mistreated. Most of us were drawn here by our love for the programming. Many of us have big roles that shape the direction and sensibility of the “network” (which is really just a block of programming), including myself.

Are there problems here? OF COURSE. Does Lazzo yell sometimes? ABSOLUTELY. Have I ever felt unwelcome here? NO. Do I have amazing benefits? YES. Have I been given every opportunity I felt like reaching for? OH MY GOD, YES. Is this an amazing place to work? YES. YES. YES. Should we make more stuff with women? YES, ABSOLUTELY.

But guys – sure, Lazzo has said some things that I don’t agree with (to be fair, taken out of context in this article). But, he absolutely is not some crazy woman-hating bully. There ARE women working here in creative roles. Women are writing our bumps and our promos. There are women in some of our writer's rooms. There have been women on our development team. There are tons of women behind the scenes, in key roles, making big decisions that influence the voice and direction of Adult Swim in a huge way. Should we do more with women? YES. But please, please stop getting all outraged over this. It’s misguided. We’re such a weird target for this anger. In terms of the entertainment industry, this place - this place is a beautiful place to be, as a woman. I have not worked elsewhere, but so many of my colleagues have, and I have heard horrible stories about the entertainment industry outside of this building. We’re in Atlanta, it feels safe here. At Williams St, it’s laughable to think that the kind of stuff that happens in LA could happen. I have never felt harassed. I have never felt like only women who look a certain way were going to succeed.

Adult Swim is a fun, free, creative environment, and quite honestly, a meritocracy, where the best idea always wins, regardless of where it comes from. I walked into this place with no experience, just a love for the programming. I was a super geek, and came in as an administrative assistant who just loved Space Ghost and Aqua Teen and Sealab and anime, (and powerpuff girls) and I was welcomed in, and my ideas were valued, and I worked hard, and I was promoted quickly.

Please stop with all the anger. More love. You guys wouldn’t be so angry if you didn’t love some of what we make here, right? Think of everything that Adult Swim has ever given you. You have Lazzo to thank for that.

(editing to go ahead and sign my name) Kim Manning, senior director of programming

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

skull mask mcgee posted:

Adult Swim brought my college radio station a poo poo load of burritos and drinks while we organizing against the university selling our daytime analog signal to the shitheads at Georgia Public Broadcasting, so I can't hate them too much. It's unfortunate about the alt right show though.

If you truly believe MDE is promoting an actual platform of alt-right and not doing some high level kaufmanesque comedy I feel bad about our future.

Just watch an episode or two. It's pure absurdist humor that happens to land on the right instead of the left.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bro Dad posted:

i've gotten to take an unofficial tour of turner and williams street and yea can confirm even from 4 years ago

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's fair to not cancel a TV show just because the Wrong People enjoy it. If the show itself is offensive, sure, cancel it. But if you think Williams Street should constantly monitor 4chan and immediately cancel any show that gets a positive reception there, you're dumb.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

skull mask mcgee posted:

(extremely woke guy voice) sounds like that telecommunications corporation did a good thing trying to keep you from putting the band in the public trust, so they can acquire it at a later date for much cheaper.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The creator is close friends with an actual aggressive racist nationalist who likes to remote-hack printers in college libraries and print hundreds of pages of nazi propaganda. There's a photo of the two of them nazi saluting. The nationalist guy used his printing pranking routine to advertise the show.

He should probably at the very least publicly denounce that.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Zikan posted:

i'm in a call for a immigrant rights organization and their explicit strategy is a general strike :stare:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bass Bottles posted:

The creator is close friends with an actual aggressive racist nationalist who likes to remote-hack printers in college libraries and print hundreds of pages of nazi propaganda. There's a photo of the two of them nazi saluting. The nationalist guy used his printing pranking routine to advertise the show.

So, you're saying he's palling around with terrorists

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

There's edgy humor (good in the right context) and the stuff his actually racist friend is doing, which is not cool or good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bass Bottles posted:

There's edgy humor (good in the right context) and the stuff his actually racist friend is doing, which is not cool or good.

But didn't Adult Swim cancel his friend's show?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

incoherent posted:

If you truly believe MDE is promoting an actual platform of alt-right and not doing some high level kaufmanesque comedy I feel bad about our future.

Just watch an episode or two. It's pure absurdist humor that happens to land on the right instead of the left.

im not gonna do that or probably even think about this show again

Al! posted:

(extremely woke guy voice) sounds like that telecommunications corporation did a good thing trying to keep you from putting the band in the public trust, so they can acquire it at a later date for much cheaper.

we're already a public university and GPB is just a grifting organization just like just about everything else in the great state of Georgia lol

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Bass Bottles posted:

His humor seems about as funny as Crowder.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

skull mask mcgee posted:

im not gonna do that or probably even think about this show again

we're already a public university and GPB is just a grifting organization just like just about everything else in the great state of Georgia lol

extremely woke guy mutters something about fcc regulations as he wanders off

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

But didn't Adult Swim cancel his friend's show?

Did his friend even have a show?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bass Bottles posted:

Did his friend even have a show?

I sure hope not!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

new gangtag spotted

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

His humor seems about as funny as Crowder.

Sign me up

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

incoherent posted:

i watched a skit and lol you are giving them an embarrassing amount of credit to invoke kaufman. it's a bad show, m8.

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks
So, I'm in MA.

For stuff like Keith Ellison for DNC chair, I'll be calling my senators (although I know Warren already seemed supportive) and reps.

For stuff like Bannon and Gaffney, is my energy better spent just contacting Republicans, in state (Baker) and out of state?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bass Bottles posted:

i also hear that he's quite a dangerous man

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I thought the Adult Swim controversy was Lazzo saying dumb poo poo like "when you introduce women into the writer's room, it creates conflict" as a reason for not having many women in high-up creative roles and then went to a Reddit AMA claiming he meant "women avoid conflict and comedy is built on conflict", which was somehow even dumber. Then people found out about MDE getting advertised in the printer-hacking nazi's newsletters.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

MDE Is based

and that :qq: moron belongs in the trash

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I've loved Million Dollar Extreme for years, since someone turned me onto their series Williamsburg Street Fashion where they make fun of the kind of people the link in the thread title is making fun of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cyUak7Lnho

Also before they had a TV show they did Doctor Manslave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IT2aKGzgrg

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Neeksy posted:

I thought the Adult Swim controversy was Lazzo saying dumb poo poo like "when you introduce women into the writer's room, it creates conflict" as a reason for not having many women in high-up creative roles and then went to a Reddit AMA claiming he meant "women avoid conflict and comedy is built on conflict", which was somehow even dumber. Then people found out about MDE getting advertised in the printer-hacking nazi's newsletters.

that was the last one. this is brett gelman suddenly becoming super-woke and saying he'll never work with adult swim ever again

which again seems a little myopic when half the guy's residuals are signed by Actual Rapist Harvey Weinstein

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

BrownClown posted:

So, I'm in MA.

For stuff like Keith Ellison for DNC chair, I'll be calling my senators (although I know Warren already seemed supportive) and reps.

For stuff like Bannon and Gaffney, is my energy better spent just contacting Republicans, in state (Baker) and out of state?

Can you call your senators and representatives? I was just going to write letters.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Bro Dad posted:

that was the last one. this is brett gelman suddenly becoming super-woke and saying he'll never work with adult swim ever again

which again seems a little myopic when half the guy's residuals are signed by Actual Rapist Harvey Weinstein

Ahh I was confusing the two as the same controversy, then. I don't know of Brett Gelman or his work, but the "bitches can't hang" stuff from Lazzo was legit lovely or at least tin-eared and dumb.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I've loved Million Dollar Extreme for years, since someone turned me onto their series Williamsburg Street Fashion where they make fun of the kind of people the link in the thread title is making fun of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cyUak7Lnho

Also before they had a TV show they did Doctor Manslave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IT2aKGzgrg

But they are making fun of them poorly. Like, ell oh ell people have weird and bad fashions and are stuck inside of their own butt. Sound effect! "What if we did that bit that Kimmel does where he talks to people on the street but then tried really hard to be like Tim and Eric with our edits and stuff?"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Neeksy posted:

Ahh I was confusing the two as the same controversy, then. I don't know of Brett Gelman or his work, but the "bitches can't hang" stuff from Lazzo was legit lovely or at least tin-eared and dumb.

i think that's his schtick now. he created adult swim and williams street from nothing so now he thinks he's lorne michaels

he was such an rear end in a top hat about cancelling metalocalypse that brendan small is no longer on speaking terms with them

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BrownClown posted:

So, I'm in MA.

Why are you posting this in the Adult Swim thread?

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Can you call your senators and representatives? I was just going to write letters.

Calling works...or so I've heard. Willing to do anything at this point, till I figure out bigger goals.

http://www.house.gov/representatives/
http://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/

Called weak-willed Paul Ryan's office today about Bannon. It went to an automated message that has a few options to leave messages about specific issues/hear his opinion on issues, and at the end, you can leave a general voicemail. Also, there's like a 1 or 2 minute time limit to the message.

Fulchrum posted:

Why are you posting this in the Adult Swim thread?

I don't have cable :( , I don't pay attention to this poo poo.

Where's my loving Rick and Morty.

BrownClown has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Nov 16, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Neeksy posted:

I thought the Adult Swim controversy was Lazzo saying dumb poo poo like "when you introduce women into the writer's room, it creates conflict" as a reason for not having many women in high-up creative roles and then went to a Reddit AMA claiming he meant "women avoid conflict and comedy is built on conflict", which was somehow even dumber.

Wow that's sad to hear.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*watches insanely late night sketch show made by the guys who make almost totally incoherent YouTube videos* this is loving alt right propaganda. when they made the sketch saying bullying is funny actually and the one where the girls got arrested for hiring non-romantic gigilos. The alt right cringe am I rite?

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

BrownClown posted:

Calling works...or so I've heard. Willing to do anything at this point, till I figure out bigger goals.

http://www.house.gov/representatives/
http://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/

I will try to get in touch with my Senators, and my representative.

Tomorrow I'm mailing letters to my states DNC reps asking them to support Keith Ellison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Zikan posted:

i'm in a call for a immigrant rights organization and their explicit strategy is a general strike :stare:

Good. I hope labor in the USA can get organized enough for this to happen. Organized labor has always been an effective weapon against the abuse of power and I see no reason this would be different under a Trump administration. It's a loving shame that organized labor has been declining in the USA (and that the decline is no accident).

Did the organization lay out anything ordinary people can do to help?

• Locked thread