Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

What are the rules for derail bird? Can we just get any hi res toucan pic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I think it's very good that members of the military are appropriately compensated for their work and also that they are provided with retraining so they can enter another career when they leave the armed forces.

I also think a social safety net is designed in part around the idea that nobody should have to take dangerous employment out of economic necessity, so I think the military, although it provides opportunity and employment for many people with low socioeconomic status, likely doesn't qualify.

Those are my thoughts and I will refrain from arguing them further so that we don't have to overwork the poor toucans.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

NancyPants posted:

What are the rules for derail bird? Can we just get any hi res toucan pic?

It's the same bird from different angles

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

please do NOT post other birds in this thread

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
A derail about derailbird would be the best derail yet.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Sundae posted:

A meta-meta-meta-derail if you will

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sundae posted:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Droo posted:

Also, people in the US don't really pay as much tax as they think they do compared to a lot of countries. I looked up NZ taxes just out of curiosity and it looks like you guys actually do pay less - but your retirement benefits look a little smaller than social security is on average to me, military is obviously cheaper. I assume you don't have a black hole sucking money in that you call a health care industry, and your sales tax is higher than most of ours (sales tax is a state thing).

NZ embraces capitalism and neoliberalism. Although we have universal healthcare, but with waiting lists which are kind of long for some operations. Sales tax here is 15% which is more than I've ever seen when I've been in the US but we have no capital gains tax. The pension here is reasonably generous but I'm not sure how it really compares with US living costs.

We do have small military spending but then we probably only have roughly 100 soldiers operating on or near the front lines in Iraq in our "advisory and training" capacity.

Some BWM: getting bitten by a rattlesnake then being sent a bill for $153k.
https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/3dopek/user_posts_a_copy_of_his_153k_medical_bill_for_a/

5 days in hospital $1.1m
https://redditblog.com/2015/11/24/redditor-receives-1-million-dollar-hospital-charge-for-5-day-stay-with-no-surgery/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

How do we know what kind of shorebird that is to post derail bird derails about? :sweatdrop:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

86 new posts, oh boy!

Oh, it's all stupid bullshit.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Oh look! It's Therailbird!

:suicide:

I ate out today. $6.95 for a giant bowl of delicious pho. I don't worry about the 14 extra seconds of retirement I could've had, because stressing out about that would've cost me at least 15. :v:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Moneyball posted:

Derail bird, where are you?

Fighting for are freedoms in the Battle for Mosul :911:

Hopefully Captain Bird doesn't doesn't turn into this dude who managed to be homeless despite being a retired colonel with a 40K pension after racking up a bunch of debt. I feel like that part of the story was glossed over a little too quickly.

e. oh wow, the worst derails are the quickest moving ones :v:

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Droo posted:

Why don't you just drive your house to a new spot?

Lol. I did learn on Frontdoor that every house in the neighborhood was built in what is now an indoor soccer complex and was then dropped on the lots. I have a feeling it's possible.

It's actually a nice neighborhood...low crime, highly rated elementary school, 500K houses a few blocks away, a faux downtown slowly being built a 5 minute walk away. There are some beautifully done up places, a lot like ours that are reasonably maintained, and some that are white trashed out.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I used to help hospitals set up their price lists. Basically every health insurer has a super complex method to calculate what they pay hospitals. "Charges" (what the hospital asks the uninsured to pay for care) is a big part of those payments. We would use detailed models to maximize payments across all our insurers while minimizing the chance of negative news articles like the one above - the easiest way to do that is to set all of the charges to above 20% above average so we could say for any hospital stay that what we charged is in line with the area. Of course, most hospitals do that now so those charges get more and more ridiculous.

FUN FACT: The only people that would reliably pay the insane rates hospitals charge the uninsured are Mormons, I think it's against their religion to default on debt or something.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

blackmet posted:

Lol. I did learn on Frontdoor that every house in the neighborhood was built in what is now an indoor soccer complex and was then dropped on the lots. I have a feeling it's possible.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It took a lot of gull to post this in the bird de-rail thread.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Devian666 posted:

Some BWM: getting bitten by a rattlesnake then being sent a bill for $153k.
https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/3dopek/user_posts_a_copy_of_his_153k_medical_bill_for_a/

When I was a kid I was stung by a scorpion and had a bad reaction to it, so I had to spend a few hours in the emergency room and get a few shots of antivenin. It was not a particularly big deal cost-wise, at least as far as American health care expenses go.

Turns out that was because the antivenin doses were being made by one of the state universities as a public-health thing, but a while back they shut down the lab, leaving only :siren: PRIVATE ENTERPRISE :siren: to fill the gap.

The result is that something that probably cost my parents a few hundred bucks back in the day is now a solid mid-five-figure hospital bill, for the exact same course of treatment.

Arizona woman gets $80K hospital bill for treatment of scorpion sting

(Note that it's still $100/dose in Mexico.)

BWM: Getting stung by a scorpion on the wrong side of Trump's wall.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Birds with Money - Just wait till we're diamond!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
BWM: Applying for academic jobs in desirable cities instead of working in private practice in North Dakota for literally 3x the money.

Jan 11, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

BWM: Applying for academic jobs in desirable cities instead of working in private practice in North Dakota for literally 3x the money.

Work in PP for 10 years then get a job in academia or the VA when you're financially independent, a time honored tradition in rads

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

quote:

At one recent funeral for a travelling family, Matthew provided a fleet of Rolls Royces and a double decker Routemaster bus to transport the family to the service.
Once there, they wanted farmyard animals grazing outside and a red carpet laid out.

Another mother-of-three planning her funeral requested a glass coffin because she wanted it to emulate Snow White and have a fairytale theme.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...h-cash-die.html

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

A case with less ethical problems about eating the rich.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Okay but then you'd have to deal with people from North Dakota and like, see their junk and other gross doctor stuff

If I were doctoring I would do it someplace with a statistically high number of pretty fuckbois so it's less unpleasant :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

You don't actually have to buy the hearse, right? I mean just renting a rolls for like an hour isn't actually that bad if you're throwing a party you're only going to have once.

The Kestrel
Dec 16, 2013

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Depends on the state, but it unusually works out to about 2% per year. A 330k condo would be 6600 / year-ish.

Wow... That's pretty high. Property taxes for residential properties in Toronto are 0.68%.

Of course, that might have something to do with the huge property bubble here. :gonk:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Kestrel posted:

Wow... That's pretty high. Property taxes for residential properties in Toronto are 0.68%.

Of course, that might have something to do with the huge property bubble here. :gonk:

That estimate is off.

The highest property tax in U.S. is in New Jersey and it is about 2%.

The average person pays about 1.9k a year in property taxes and lots of places have an average payment that is less than 1k.

The average property tax rate in the US is 1.1% and lots of states have exceptions for certain amounts of income.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That estimate is off.

The average person pays about 1.9k a year in property taxes and lots of places have an average payment that is less than 1k.

The average property tax rate in the US is 1.1% and lots of states have exceptions for certain amounts of income.

You're only looking at statewide property taxes, which is a very poor measure because most taxing bodies are more local than the state. I'm paying 3% property tax in Texas, which doesn't have a statewide property tax at all. This isn't even particularly unusual.

Here's a look at County-level taxes, which doesn't even capture the whole picture either: http://empowertexans.com/around-texas/where-do-texans-pay-the-highest-property-taxes/

The reason why mine are so high is that I'm separately taxed by the county, the city, and the MUD. Most Texas homeowners are over 2% effective final property tax rates.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That estimate is off.

Yeah, this is simply wrong. In McHenry county in Illinois, I'm paying over 3%. That's $10k a year on a $280k house.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

baquerd posted:

Yeah, this is simply wrong. In McHenry county in Illinois, I'm paying over 3%. That's $10k a year on a $280k house.

Is that possibly the state tax before the county/city taxes?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TLG James posted:

Is that possibly the state tax before the county/city taxes?

There is no state property tax.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

That estimate is off.

Twerk from Home posted:

You're only looking at statewide property taxes, which is a very poor measure because most taxing bodies are more local than the state. I'm paying 3% property tax in Texas, which doesn't have a statewide property tax at all. This isn't even particularly unusual.

Here's a look at County-level taxes, which doesn't even capture the whole picture either: http://empowertexans.com/around-texas/where-do-texans-pay-the-highest-property-taxes/

The reason why mine are so high is that I'm separately taxed by the county, the city, and the MUD. Most Texas homeowners are over 2% effective final property tax rates.

Yeah I pay a little over 2% in austin after county, city, school district, community college, healthcare district, etc.

Last year it was more like 3% but homestead exemption kicked in this year and saved me a thousand bucks. That 2% rate is still a thousand dollars more than last year because the appraisal went up by $53000. Austin real estate is nuts right now.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 17, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I didn't even think about the county taxes. I've been blinded by only paying in Washington, D.C. and Delaware, which don't have multiple rates.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

That estimate is off.

My parents just retired from NJ to TX and their property taxes went up significantly, but at least they aren't paying state income tax.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Powerlurker posted:

My parents just retired from NJ to TX and their property taxes went up significantly, but at least they aren't paying state income tax.

Texas has no income tax but you will be paying super high property tax because that is how everything is funded.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
We have high state income tax but our total property tax is under 1%. One of the reasons buying is worth it here. The state income tax means you're probably already itemizing deductions as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004
There's no free lunch, states get your money one way or another and where the burden is most favorable to you depends completely on your personal circumstances.

• Locked thread