Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It's pretty cool that they're just letting random nobodies send a resume to the Department of Defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm not going to apply for a White House job because even if I got in, which I wouldn't put past them, I doubt they'd secure travel arrangements or a place to live, and I probably wouldn't even end up getting paid

Probably because you wouldn't do a good job. /s

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

Obama was prepared to win. Trump didn't even know he had to hire them.

People had already paid for Hillary's positions.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm not applying because my job owns and allows me to post between sciencing all night.

Also yeah I probably make more here and CoL is laughable compared to DC.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Found where I want to work

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

You're right, we should continue to let the rural poor spiral into decay while opioids destroy their town and they become increasingly ossified and removed from interaction with people of different viewpoints and lifestyles, so they can rot in a stew of hate-speech radio and :foxnews:

Serious question, would you be perfectly fine with the government designating your town, the very property you live on, as this newfangled sanctuary for the rural poor? Keep in mind, your property and the property of everyone in your town whose location are deemed rural poor sanctuaries will probably have to be torn down to build public housing, as large scale public housing would handle the larger population.

Where is your pound of flesh in all of this?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wonder if I can get away with claiming to be a Polar Bear in my Cover Letter.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
lol

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/798687446384918529

maybe Trump will just say "gently caress it" and keep Obama's entire White House staff around

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait are they seriously considering Lewandowski to be RNC Chair what???

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HorseRenoir posted:

lol

maybe Trump will just say "gently caress it" and keep Obama's entire White House staff around

Maybe they will just keep Obama on as Interim President and go home for four years

Joke's on Paul Ryan, Trump was the REAL four more years of Obama

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

HorseRenoir posted:

It's pretty cool that they're just letting random nobodies send a resume to the Department of Defense

Why would they prohibit that? My agency puts out online applications for the head of our division, which has a 0.001% chance of being hired from the outside, but you never know what superstar may appear (or may have left to come back) and good transparent governance would allow the public to see the open position and the qualifications required.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
How could electors not go faithless if this Who's On First? skit of a presidential cabinet goes on for four more weeks? I mean, at some point it is going to have to become clear that the executive under Trump simply will not function, right?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

HorseRenoir posted:

lol

It be Funny if Obama becomes Trumps cos.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zachack posted:

Why would they prohibit that? My agency puts out online applications for the head of our division, which has a 0.001% chance of being hired from the outside, but you never know what superstar may appear (or may have left to come back) and good transparent governance would allow the public to see the open position and the qualifications required.

You excited for the next four years of environment protectin'?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I think we found Chris Christie's new position.

"Hi this is Chris Christie, hr manager for the Trump administration, I regret to inform you that we have decided to no longer pursue your candidacy for Polar Bear Man, us and Russia. Thank for your time."

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Having Federal government experience can only help in a future run for office, right?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zero chance of it happening but it would be funnier than hell if it was just a continuous cacophony of Trump transition anecdotes until it ends up the electors didn't actually vote him in on Dec. 19.

I mean good god, where do you find these chucklefucks. Even the epitome of the Rise of the Common Man, good ol' Jackson had less of a clusterfuck thus far.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fidel Castronaut posted:

How could electors not go faithless if this Who's On First? skit of a presidential cabinet goes on for four more weeks? I mean, at some point it is going to have to become clear that the executive under Trump simply will not function, right?

As full of "that'll never happen" poo poo happening this year has been and as much as an elector revolt would be the perfect cherry on top to this whole thing, there's a reason there's only been a tiny fraction of electors who have ever gone faithless and only once did it ever change the outcome of the EC vote, that was for Van Buren's VP, and the Senate basically appointed the guy anyway. There are a lot of reasons one would think would weigh on the conscience of an elector, such as the significant popular vote difference, the remarkable unpreparedness of Trump, the poo poo he's promised to do with regard to foreign non-trade policy, the look on Lewandowski's face, etc. However, we have entire branches of government which refuse to buckle to eliminating gridlock through rule changes because of the clear implication of breaking tradition. That isn't even a question of precedent. It's the inertia of tradition, in addition to state law (which may yet be unconstitutional in a challenge but we don't know) penalizing faithless electors. Hillary may be able to put together a highly competent, if thoroughly status-quo-as-gently caress, cabinet in 72 hours flat and hell it would presumably be the best structural thing for the country but it's literally the Rubicon of American political society. Once you start eroding the legitimacy of the process, that poo poo is irreversible. The safest thing to do, then, is to let Trump break everything for four years and say "at least he was who we were pledged to" and hope this country atones.

No joke thougj faithless electors installing Hillary would be loving hilarious for the emotional whiplash alone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mustached Demon posted:

I think we found Chris Christie's new position.

"Hi this is Chris Christie, hr manager for the Trump administration, I regret to inform you that we have decided to no longer pursue your candidacy for Polar Bear Man, us and Russia. Thank for your time."

Apparently its just boring stuff and no actual polar bears work on the commission

quote:

On October 22, 2015, the U.S.-Russia Polar Bear Commission (Commission), established under the Agreement Between the Government of the United States and the Government of the Russian Federation on the Conservation and Management of the Alaska-Chukotka Polar Bear Population, unanimously agreed to maintain the annual taking limit adopted in 2010 for the Alaska-Chukotka polar bear population. In 2010, the Commission established an annual taking limit on the number of bears that may be removed from this population as a result of human activities, such as bears taken for subsistence purposes and in defense of human life. This annual taking limit, which corresponds with the annual sustainable harvest level for this population, is 58 polar bears per year, of which no more than 19 will be females. Under the Agreement, the annual taking limit is to be shared equally between the United States of America and the Russian Federation.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Apparently its just boring stuff and no actual polar bears work on the commission

It's a job under Trump where you work with the Russians. That pays double, right?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

greatn posted:

I see all these positions and "contact your congressman" shares for complaining about Bannon, but does anyone think one single solitary Republican gives one single solitary poo poo how many liberals call and complain to them? Like what is even the loving point?

This is a post facts world just lie about being an ardent republican

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like let's be honest, the first elector to go faithless is probably going to swing from a lamppost at this point.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hollismason posted:

That's under Obama. Under Trump you're responsible for herding polar bears into Putin's backyard wrestling pit.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Agnosticnixie posted:

Like let's be honest, the first elector to go faithless is probably going to swing from a lamppost at this point.

Is that dude from washington state still gonna vote for Trump because he's gonna be rewarded with a pipeline personally routed through his back yard.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Boring? It is a competition between the two superpowers on who can kill the most polar beers.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Comedy option: electoral voters make Jill Stein the next president.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bip Roberts posted:

Is that dude from washington state still gonna vote for Trump because he's gonna be rewarded with a pipeline personally routed through his back yard.

He and his friend are still not voting for Hillary, no. But at least they are trying to convince Trump electors to vote for someone else, to throw it into the House! (Because they are idiots who don't know how the House votes)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BernieLomax posted:

Boring? It is a competition between the two superpowers on who can kill the most polar beers.

There's no way Russia is not totally loving us over on the Polar bear limit.

"No you go ahead and take the last one " *bulldozes over mass grave of polar bears*

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

There's no way Russia is not totally loving us over on the Polar bear limit.

"No you go ahead and take the last one " *bulldozes over mass grave of polar bears*

Our Nation could have afforded, and can afford now, the steps necessary to close the polar bear gap.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

In reality this dumpster fire of a transition will be portrayed as "see! The system doesn't work!"

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
President Trump is going to go and get all the polar bears.

fake edit: It'll be yuge.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If we can share Polar Bears we can share a world.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fidel Castronaut posted:

have you considered that nothing matters?

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Kilroy posted:

have you considered that nothing matters?

I have considered that this is quickly becoming a tired catchphrase in a world where some Muslim women are going without their hijab out of fear of being assaulted.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I have considered that this is quickly becoming a tired catchphrase in a world where some Muslim women are going without their hijab out of fear of being assaulted.

It sure is going to be a good four years watching people joke about a Trump presidency instead of figuring out how we can fix it.

Go find your local party office. Volunteer. Even if it's not with the Dems just loving go outside and I dunno be a force for good and help people somehow. There will be those that absolutely need the help and support of others. Go foster kittens if that's all you can handle.

http://asdc.democrats.org/state-parties/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Remember that after January 20, we will be one terror attack from white nationalists being able to claim emergency powers. Reichstag 2.0 is unquestionably a possibility in the next 4 years if they really want it to be. So yeah, it is critical to act if you can.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Okay look you're both quite correct in that the number of lethally important issues we have to contend with in this country has gone up about a million percent in the last week. I was trying to add a bit of levity but I guess it didn't come across that way. If I was normalizing Trump then that was not my intention and please continue to call it out when people do that, as you just did.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Remember that after January 20, we will be one terror attack from white nationalists being able to claim emergency powers. Reichstag 2.0 is unquestionably a possibility in the next 4 years if they really want it to be. So yeah, it is critical to act if you can.

That's true but…if they declared emergency powers, what then? They're not going to have any staff

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hollismason posted:

So everything I'm reading is saying the transition team is a flaming hot mess of terribleness , that Kushner Trumps son in law is purging the ranks of anyone even connected to Christie and that there's basically no Republicans willing to take key positions in the administration for fear of just abject failure the administration will be.

Kushner (or should I say (((Kushner)))?) is also the reason Bannon is senior consultant and strategist and not Chief of Staff. Priebus getting the job was his maneuvering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So, does anyone think Donna Brazile might resign before March 1 so Democrats can get started sooner on fixing their party? I know it's "only" 3 1/2 months away but the Democrats don't have 3 1/2 months if they want a shot at the House in 2018, to say nothing of the Senate.

• Locked thread