Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Trickjaw posted:

I thought it was Jack Nicholson, if he had been in 'of mice and men'

That makes sense. Either way, the whole episode I just think about the one guy's voice sounding vaguely familiar. Either way, I enjoyed the episode. Especially when Quark realized it was all just worthless gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm stuck in Finland, with Finnish Netflix. The only show they have on there is DS9 (which, I guess if there's only ONE show, that's the one). They have every movie except First Contact. The Beard giveth, and the Bij taketh away.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm stuck in Finland, with Finnish Netflix. The only show they have on there is DS9 (which, I guess if there's only ONE show, that's the one). They have every movie except First Contact. The Beard giveth, and the Bij taketh away.

Just lol if you don't travel everywhere with multiple 64GB USB drives for your pirated Trek .MKVs

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm the guy who knew exactly how she liked to be touched :smug:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2SbVZoGyI

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Is there any news on what the new series will be like?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

shadowvine118 posted:

Is there any news on what the new series will be like?
Not much past what's in the OP and that it's been pushed back, sadly

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
It's supposed to start filming this month and so far the only new info is some jerkoff exec at CBS said that Star Trek would only work on a streaming service and would not find an audience on broadcast TV. Not even one word about any of the cast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm genuinely surprised we haven't had a sniff of anything yet. Usually some eager little budding actor has put 'Lt. Franklin' on their resume or IMDb page by now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Evek posted:

some jerkoff exec at CBS said that Star Trek would only work on a streaming service and would not find an audience on broadcast TV

I can't even parse what this is supposed to mean, unless the exec already knows that the show is a steaming pile of trash and that airing it on free TV would just be embarrassing. What do other successful streaming-only shows (Stranger Things, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, The Man in the High Castle, etc.) have that makes them unsuited to broadcast television besides the fact that they are all really good?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The idea was that sci fi doesn't work on TV, which is weird, considering even the worst Star Trek had a handful of seasons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

WickedHate posted:

The idea was that sci fi doesn't work on TV,

Of course Sci Fi works on TV. Stargate had 10 seasons. Stargate Atlantis had 5 seasons. Farscape had 5 seasons. X-Files had 10 seasons. Sliders had 5 seasons. Battlestar Galactica had 4 seasons. The modern Doctor Who series is on it's 10th season. Fringe had 5 seasons. Falling Skies had 5 seasons.

12 Monkeys is dope as gently caress, as is Supergirl and Westworld.

WickedHate posted:

which is weird, considering even the worst Star Trek had a handful of seasons.

Exactly. DS9 (which was awesome) lasted 7 seasons, and Voyager (meh) lasted 7 seasons and Enterprise (meh x 2) lasted 4.

CBS, you dumb. You dumb as hell. This whole thing is going to be a disaster unless they really blow everybody away with the casting and start making some actual promotional material.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Drone posted:

I can't even parse what this is supposed to mean,

It's pretty much drivel when he says it, too: http://io9.gizmodo.com/despite-current-glut-of-successful-scifi-shows-cbs-exe-1788962348/amp

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

In addition to saying that the online show will get to swear and have nudity (ah, yes, that is vital to Star Trek)

Warm up your "decon gel" boys!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Game of Thrones, but with phasers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"Sci-fi doesn't work on tv these days!"

http://www.polygon.com/tv/2016/11/15/13640916/westworld-game-of-thrones-walking-dead-ratings

quote:

According to a press release from the network, Westworld has averaged 11.7 million viewers season-to-date (meaning over the course of the last seven weeks), putting it ahead of Game of Thrones and True Detective during similar times while they were in their first seasons.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I mean I guess I could soooorta see the logic that sci-fi doesn't work on broadcast television anymore, considering I'm scratching my brain to think of a show that aired on broadcast TV recently that wasn't the X-Files relaunch miniseries. Then again, I don't live in the US anymore, so it could be that there is cool stuff appearing on ABC/CBS/NBC that I don't know about.

Cable is a whole different story though. Unfortunately CBS doesn't own any cable TV stations as far as I can tell (except Showtime, and lol for TV series that air on Showtime) -- they used to, but then Viacom spun off from them and took the cable assets with it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Drone posted:

I mean I guess I could soooorta see the logic that sci-fi doesn't work on broadcast television anymore, considering I'm scratching my brain to think of a show that aired on broadcast TV recently that wasn't the X-Files relaunch miniseries. Then again, I don't live in the US anymore, so it could be that there is cool stuff appearing on ABC/CBS/NBC that I don't know about.

Cable is a whole different story though. Unfortunately CBS doesn't own any cable TV stations as far as I can tell (except Showtime, and lol for TV series that air on Showtime) -- they used to, but then Viacom spun off from them and took the cable assets with it.

For simplicity's sake, I've listed 'genre' shows, not just sci-fi.

ABC:
- Agents of SHIELD
- Once Upon a Time

CBS:
Nothing right now. Their last sci-fi show was Extant, which got cancelled last year.

NBC:
- Grimm
- Timeless
- Powerless
- Emerald City
- Midnight, Texas

The CW:
- Arrow
- Legends of Tomorrow
- Frequency
- Supergirl
- Supernatural
- The Flash
- Vampire Diaries
- The 100
- iZombie

Fox:
- The Exorcist
- Gotham
- Lucifer
- Sleepy Hollow
- Wayward Pines

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I would define Person of Interest as at least on the border of scifi, given that by the end the metaplot was all about a war between two omniscient AI to determine who's going to rule the world. And that was successful on CBS for five seasons.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Honestly that list is far too large. I fail to see how superhero shows can and should count as sci-fi. Now if the conversation were just about "fantastic fiction" or a sci-fantasy umbrella, it'd be different.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CBS doesn't know what to do with a show that isn't a terrible bland comedy or a procedural

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Drone posted:

Honestly that list is far too large. I fail to see how superhero shows can and should count as sci-fi.

They're science fiction. They're not space opera but they are science fiction.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's interesting is as of the end of Sept, National Amusements was urging CBS and Viacom to merge again. If that happens, TV Star Trek and movie Star Trek will be reunited again.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Drone posted:

Honestly that list is far too large. I fail to see how superhero shows can and should count as sci-fi. Now if the conversation were just about "fantastic fiction" or a sci-fantasy umbrella, it'd be different.

I would argue Supergirl is SciFi due to aliens and Legends of Tomorrow is SciFi due to time travel.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Uninspired trek Episodes: "Operation - Ameliorate!"

"For the world is fallow and I've touched the rye"

"The Bad Day machine"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

"Where a Few Other Men Went Before"
"The Partially-Clothed Time"
"The Village on the Edge of Sometime"
"Spock's Spleen"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Balance of Beams
The Room with an Unlocked Door
David in the Dark

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Let That Be Your Last Butterfinger

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Gary's Stepchildren
Tomorrow is Thursday
The Ant Trap

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hello at Farpoint
Some of the OK Things
The Inside Lamp
The Fracas at AR-112

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Subpar Okona

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drone posted:

The Subpar Okona

Cheating, that's the actual episode.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

This Morning's Enterprise

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This Morning's Enterprise

With Picard and Judy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What Are Big Booty Bitches Are Made Of?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The_Doctor posted:

With Picard and Judy.

Or Richard and Geordi.

I chuckled

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Riker and Geordi surely

anyway

Twine of Command

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
TNG 6x15: "Twain of Command"
Mark Twain finds himself aboard the Enterprise again, but this time the crew is absent and the ship is adrift! Can Twain save the Enterprise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TNG 6x15: "Twain of Command"
Mark Twain finds himself aboard the Enterprise again, but this time the crew is absent and the ship is adrift! Can Twain save the Enterprise?

Hah! Hoo! Heh!