Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My ex-housemate loves FIFA and told me they were different but they all looked the same to me, but then he said that about my Musou games so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhTLDV9qPZ4

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So, funny story: for like, days, every time someone talked about Tyranny, I was getting it confused with Agony. Aka Lighting engine, textures, and particle effects: the game.

I realized awhile back that Tyranny wasn't the game I was thinking of, but I couldn't remember the name Agony. Agony looks dope.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah if you're going to be a nerd, don't be one of those "lol sportsball" nerds

Not that anyone here was tending towards that, just consider it a general word of warning. I'm speaking from experience

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When I was a teen, I said to my dad and brother, "How can you care about the Super Bowl :rolleyes:" while crafting a Magic the Gathering deck for the upcoming Constructed tournament

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I still have trouble caring about the Super Bowl after winning 2 consecutive fantasy football leagues in my office. Baseball on the other hand is my sportsball of choice. Slow and meandering and nothing going on most of the time just like the new Final Fantasy.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'd like to take a moment to tell y'all about my favorite Skyrim mod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWwQpjlt3Hw

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
How did you get an early copy of Barkley 2 :mad:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah if you're going to be a nerd, don't be one of those "lol sportsball" nerds

Not that anyone here was tending towards that, just consider it a general word of warning. I'm speaking from experience

Sports are rad, especially college football, but mundane sports videogames always looked like the most boring thing to me

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you are making a sports video game where nothing is catching on fire you can go straight to hell.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Golf games are good imo tho I prefer unrealistic ones or ones that are realistic enough but with unrealistic settings

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

world of funko pop

They look like better pops to me too

Better tho

Still not a big fan of the design but eh nbd

drat funko pops are ugly and lazy as gently caress

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Snak posted:

This morning I was talking to a coworker and said that "Bloodborne is probably the best game ever made" and he said "ehhhhhhh FIFA2015 was really special"

But he has an xbone, so he's never played Bloodborne.

I hope you screamed at him and called him "not a true gamer"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I keep seeing this ad pop up on the forums

It is for someone's youtube channel, but their video page makes me not want to ever watch any of their things

Yeesh

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Turns out the lovely quality image of half naked anime girls situated around a sign saying "Sassy and Opinionated" leads to an terrible youtube channel "explaining" things.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I have little trouble imagining the proprietor of that channel being into Shadman's art.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wanna know if it was someone spending the cash to try to make fun of them or if that person legit was trying to get views via SA and thought people would love their vids and opinions on 4chan

I wanna assume the latter but who knows anymore

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wanna know if it was someone spending the cash to try to make fun of them or if that person legit was trying to get views via SA and thought people would love their vids and opinions on 4chan

I wanna assume the latter but who knows anymore

I'd say it was the former but really both theories are pretty bad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I have little trouble imagining the proprietor of that channel being into Shadman's art.

I didn't know who that was so I looked it up and man, what a goon

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Those thumbnails still aren't as obnoxious as the ones for "TheSkylanderBoy AndGirl" tho

Those are probably the most obnoxious thumbnails I've seen on youtube imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
idk, those are still less immediately repulsive to me than bad cartoon versions of lets players

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

FirstAidKite posted:

Golf games are good imo tho I prefer unrealistic ones or ones that are realistic enough but with unrealistic settings
Yeah, Super Stickman Golf 3 is great and has all kinds of wacky shenaningas in it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Looper posted:

idk, those are still less immediately repulsive to me than bad cartoon versions of lets players

I despise those thumbnails that are just a cartoon version of the let's player doing the dreamworks face, especially if it's a minecraft version of them. I wish there was a way to block them so they didn't show up as recommended videos on my own youtube videos because I don't want to be responsible for people watching them

this is just awful

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

this is just awful

And yet not as bad as Sassy and Opinionated's "Gamergate Explained" thumbnail.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

this is just awful

It's gonna be sorta kinda funny when skylanders dies off and his kids grows out of it. The guy who runs that channel has 833 vids alone of just him doing skylanders stuff (idk how many vids his other non-skylanders accounts have) and idk how I'd feel if a good portion of my childhood was filmed and put online by my dad attempting to be really funny but just coming off as cringeworthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EniJHgfHdQc

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

judge a man not by his words, but his youtube thumbnails - Voltaire 1755

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

judge a man not by his words, but his youtube thumbnails - Voltaire 1755

Good point, let me just open up "4chan Explained"

E: It's terrible. He's just upset SJWs took over 4chan or something.

That was 9 minutes of 4chan history and how it's all poo poo now and it's nothing like it's "golden years".

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 16, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If 4chan's golden years were compressed into a minted coin, it'd be the kind that bends when you bite into it

The trollface face would be on the heads side

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

If 4chan's golden years were compressed into a minted coin, it'd be the kind that bends when you bite into it

The trollface face would be on the heads side

Yes but can you really compress poo poo into a coin?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Looper posted:

Sports are rad, especially college football, but mundane sports videogames always looked like the most boring thing to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOIDOxryUao

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Golden Goat posted:

Yes but can you really compress poo poo into a coin?

Hmm... Maybe.

I've been posting progress updates for my game thing in the amateur game dev thread there, since there aren't many good places to just post in-progress pics etc. Mostly it's good feedback but a lot of the time people are also just shitposting for no reason, which is a shame.

I've been working on improving the frames around the screen so it doesn't look so flat. I think it's going well compared to how it used to look. The player can change the scanline opacity in increments of 10%, where 0% is just turning that layer off. I personally don't like the scanlines but they're a neat little aesthetic quirk for people who might want it.

I also doodled/wrote up like 30 different kinds of enemies with different ways of attacking so those will be fun to make into sprites sometime.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 16, 2016

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Christopher Christopher Christopher CHRISTOPHER

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
CONGRATULATIONS
YOU'VE BEEN
DRAFTED

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Making sprites is my least favorite part of farting around with game design. I'm gonna make a deeply engaging RPG with an innovative combat and leveling system, and everything will be represented by geometric shapes.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

HENRY HENRY'S GOT NEXT!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FirstAidKite posted:

Those thumbnails still aren't as obnoxious as the ones for "TheSkylanderBoy AndGirl" tho

Those are probably the most obnoxious thumbnails I've seen on youtube imo
It's easy to see these as way more hosed up since they're aimed at kids... then you realize the Sassy & Opinionated videos are too :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMxJK7h0LuC2if5vpgJePdA/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperbFailBlog/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY2XX8xuoTD6HN4IT-skRkw/videos

And then there are all these weird hosed up channels full of Disney/Superhero characters singing nursery rhymes and children's songs that appear to be generated by skynet or something... wtf

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 16, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Making sprites is my least favorite part of farting around with game design. I'm gonna make a deeply engaging RPG with an innovative combat and leveling system, and everything will be represented by geometric shapes.

tbh I think making art for it has been my favorite part so far. But sticking with a real low resolution has actually helped me a bit because I don't have to do much to get good looking patterns/textures.

That's why the little player guy is only like 24x24 pixels large. I can draw what basically equates to random dithering and some lines and boom that's all I need to do for him to be wearing miscellaneous clothing. Also he's only got 3 sprites, as opposed to that skeleton enemy which has like 12 sprites spread over 30 animation frames.

edit: The trouble will come when I start putting in different armor for the player to buy and wear, because then I will have to be much more creative with the teeny tiny space I gave myself.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

tbh I think making art for it has been my favorite part so far. But sticking with a real low resolution has actually helped me a bit because I don't have to do much to get good looking patterns/textures.

That's why the little player guy is only like 24x24 pixels large. I can draw what basically equates to random dithering and some lines and boom that's all I need to do for him to be wearing miscellaneous clothing. Also he's only got 3 sprites, as opposed to that skeleton enemy which has like 12 sprites spread over 30 animation frames.

The sorta doll shape of your models is cute. If you have no weapons does he headbutt the skeletons?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks. Cute-ish is what I'm going for with the general aesthetic. The player can't actually be unarmed at the moment but I might make an "unequip all my stuff" wardrobe in the home that leaves you unarmed until you re-equip something. A headbutt would work, maybe I'll make him do a little kick or something (since he has no arms).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Those sprites look awesome.

Please make a running animation where he gallops.

• Locked thread