Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Both my VWs have just one 11mm each. The beetle, it's the distributor clamp bolt. The bus, it's the clutch pressure plate bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
JIS standard goes 10,12,14,17 while other standards are generally 10,13,15,18 for m6, 8, 10, 12 respectively. Nothing more annoying than a non-jis bolt on a Japanese car and needing a different size wrench.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Have you heard about my good friend KTM and their love of mixing 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, and 27+ all over their bikes. Most bolts have the option of using a torx driver inside of the hex. Woefully undersized tor the given torque.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah but KTMs are designed to pre-loosen the bolts over the course of normal riding so that when the maintenance interval comes up, they're already removed. Another time-saving feature from the brand that's Ready To Race (tm)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Horrible mechanical design failure

Ultra-minimal

Ultra-useless

Literally everything is wrong

http://schneidersarto.com/wrench-aesthetics/

For a moment I thought the stupid roman numerals were actually a cut all the way through the steel stock crudely mutilated by a hipster with waterjet access tool, thereby weakening it and creating stress risers, but looking closer it seems it's just a marking of sorts.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
I think they're just a very trendy way of adjusting the level on a washing machine personally. In fact I'm completely sure that the only time the "designer" has seen a wrench is the crappy stamped flat spanners that come with a washing machine.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

jamal posted:

JIS standard goes 10,12,14,17 while other standards are generally 10,13,15,18 for m6, 8, 10, 12 respectively. Nothing more annoying than a non-jis bolt on a Japanese car and needing a different size wrench.

Just you work on something like a Vermeer brush/wood chipper. The company that made the engine, is different from the company that made the cutting wheel, is different from the company that made the clutch assembly. They're all in metric, but different standards. The recent body and frame work is all in metric, but with flange head bolts, so they're a size down, except when you have to replace one with a bolt from the bin, and so now the next guy needs two sockets just to take off a cover.

And then the trailer assembly is "Proudly Made in AMERICA!" and so of course it uses goddamn SAE.:bang:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

I want to fill that guy's rear end in a top hat with his lovely wrenches.
A suitable punishment would be to lock him in a room with a disassembled engine until he's reassembled it. His only tools are his own lovely wrenches.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Both my VWs have just one 11mm each. The beetle, it's the distributor clamp bolt. The bus, it's the clutch pressure plate bolts.

I sometimes wonder about what thought process went '10mm isn't quite strong enough and 12mm is just a little too big, so let's use an 11mm here and to hell with the logistical implications'

Design tolerances can't be that close, surely.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In fact, on the rest of the car, it's either 10mm or 13mm. I think with the simpler metallurgy of WWII versus today, they were probably like "if it's something two hands could hold together under load, use an m6/10mm head. If it needs more, we don't know how lovely the metal will be, so do an m8/13mm. Anything larger is an m10/17mm because whoa mama that could be something like the four engine bolts or we need beefy threads for the oil pan bolt. Three fasteners, DONE."

But, Hans, the clutch needs something bigger than M6 and a 13mm head won't fit!

Okay, fine, one 11mm bolt set but THAT'S FINAL.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

JIS is the worst, though.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 16, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Platystemon posted:

JIS is the worst standards organisation.

drat them and their weird phillips screwdrivers! :argh:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm going to market a 10mm pack of tools that contains shallow and deep sockets, wrenches, and 1/4 - 3/8 drive adapters for less than the sum of its parts.

Also a 10mm socket pack that contains nothing but ten of the loving things.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There should be a store where you can just go in and scoop them into a bag. 1/2 a pound of 10mm sockets, 1/4 pound of 13mm sockets, and a box of #2 robertson screwdriver bits.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I plan on selling them by the register in impulse buy bins and stands.

"Do YOU know where your last 10mm is?"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bend posted:

I think they're just a very trendy way of adjusting the level on a washing machine personally. In fact I'm completely sure that the only time the "designer" has seen a wrench is the crappy stamped flat spanners that come with a washing machine.

Those things are great! I had one for a trike I built for my 3 year old that I was convinced was specifically designed so that the mouth of the wrench started opening up when you tightened the bolt up enough. It was like it gave you a simple torque spec.

not really it was just a stamped piece of pot metal crap

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm going to market a 10mm pack of tools that contains shallow and deep sockets, wrenches, and 1/4 - 3/8 drive adapters for less than the sum of its parts.

Also a 10mm socket pack that contains nothing but ten of the loving things.

You joke, but it's a hell of a good idea.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Powershift posted:

There should be a store where you can just go in and scoop them into a bag. 1/2 a pound of 10mm sockets, 1/4 pound of 13mm sockets, and a box of #2 robertson screwdriver bits.

This is my favorite idea, like Lego store pick-a-part bins but with a significantly more substantial undercurrent of rage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The ghetto used tools store Slung and I go to has socket bulk bins just like that. Their 10mm pail is always empty though.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Saab 9-5s (and 9-3s?) Have exactly two 11mm bolts on the car and they hold the flywheel/flexplate inspection cover on which is such an unimportant purpose I can only assume someone accidentally ordered a million units of the bolts and they had to find a way to use them.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

DefaultPeanut posted:

Have you heard about my good friend KTM and their love of mixing 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, and 27+ all over their bikes. Most bolts have the option of using a torx driver inside of the hex. Woefully undersized tor the given torque.

Thanks, I was sitting here thinking drat I know I use odd sockets on something? Oh yeah tearing apart half of my 990 Adventure to just change the oil.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

spog posted:

I sometimes wonder about what thought process went '10mm isn't quite strong enough and 12mm is just a little too big, so let's use an 11mm here and to hell with the logistical implications'

Design tolerances can't be that close, surely.

11mm is near enough to 7/16", maybe they started out US but changed to metric.

Actually a lot of inch wrenches also fit metric, see here. Round to the nearest mm, and given the windage in wrenches, they're cross-compatible, even more so with a six-point socket. :psyduck:

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

jamal posted:

standards are generally 10,13,15,18 for m6, 8, 10, 12 respectively.

The European standard is actually M5 - 8 mm, M6 - 10 mm, M8 - 13 mm, M10 - 17 mm, M12 -19 mm etc.

Brakeline connections, bleed valves etc. are often intentionally 7, 9, 11, 14 etc. to make them less likely to be tampered with.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

A suitable punishment would be to lock him in a room with a disassembled engine until he's reassembled it. His only tools are his own lovely wrenches.

The best part is most of the engines I build would basically have bolts in locations where his wrenches will not fit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

The best part is most of the engines I build would basically have bolts in locations where his wrenches will not fit.

You have a VAG product. You're lucky wrenches fit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I can teardown my motor with basic tools other than the 500 ft. Lb torqued crank bolt.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's no winning for him, even the paint-by-numbers Honda D engines have recessed bolts on the timing belt cover. Hell, he wouldn't even be able to change the air filter or access the throttle body because those are 8mm bolts

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

drat them and their weird phillips screwdrivers! :argh:

Pozidriv isn't even the worst of it. There's another variant that is also incompatible because it has only two extra slots instead of four.

Outside of vehicles, be wary of Robertson vs Square drive too. They are different and if you've ever wondered why you burn through so many Robertson bits it's because you're run afoul of that. Robertson has a taper, square drive does not.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Fermented Tinal posted:

Pozidriv isn't even the worst of it.

Pozidrive is one of the good ones. It's Phillips that's the work of the devil. Also JIS, at least in this part of the world. The design may be good (or at least better than Phillips since it doesn't cam out), but since I don't have any JIS drivers I have to use Phillips, and therefore always end up loving up the screws. No, I'll never learn.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
All fasteners are terrible.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

ionn posted:

Pozidrive is one of the good ones. It's Phillips that's the work of the devil. Also JIS, at least in this part of the world. The design may be good (or at least better than Phillips since it doesn't cam out), but since I don't have any JIS drivers I have to use Phillips, and therefore always end up loving up the screws. No, I'll never learn.

Vessel makes affordable JIS compatible screwdrivers, I don't know what the pricing is like for you though.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Pretty sure that back in the day when US car companies changed over from SAE to mm, all they did was convert the SAE sizes they were using to mm rounding up, then gave their current car designs to an intern to do a quick copy/paste job. Which explains not only the commonly used sizes in US cars, but why you still find the occasional SAE bolt - the intern missed a few because fuckit, its not like he was getting paid to do the job.

Also pretty sure that the reason a lot of cheaper metric tool sets are missing sizes in because they're just running metric sizing dies over the SAE tools of roughly the same size, purposely skipping the metric sizes in between two SAE sizes because be damned if they're going to design and produce two or three extra wrenches for tool kits built down to a cost, not up to a quality.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

rndmnmbr posted:

Pretty sure that back in the day when US car companies changed over from SAE to mm, all they did was convert the SAE sizes they were using to mm rounding up, then gave their current car designs to an intern to do a quick copy/paste job. Which explains not only the commonly used sizes in US cars, but why you still find the occasional SAE bolt - the intern missed a few because fuckit, its not like he was getting paid to do the job.

Also pretty sure that the reason a lot of cheaper metric tool sets are missing sizes in because they're just running metric sizing dies over the SAE tools of roughly the same size, purposely skipping the metric sizes in between two SAE sizes because be damned if they're going to design and produce two or three extra wrenches for tool kits built down to a cost, not up to a quality.

Post BMW Rover went with imperial threads on a metric head. its unfucking believable.

GM/Ford of the 80s/90s would litter imperial/metrique on everything. For instance bell housing bolts would be 3 imperial, 2 metric.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I don't know what this guy smacked into but it doesn't look good for that hubcap or the missing bolt

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Those aren't bolts. It's a cheap lovely plastic cover.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

I picked up a dewalt bit kit on clearance a while ago, and aside from the right side of that plastic case being 3/4 full of #2 bits, they also included a little tic-tac container full of #2 bits. I guess they know the struggle.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

rndmnmbr posted:

I think it's actually the opposite of that. Why give you a 16mm and a 5/8" socket, when they can just give you the 5/8"?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Those aren't bolts. It's a cheap lovely plastic cover.

Reminds me of a 90s ford truck

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Look at all the kickstarter projects under the Design category. It's just teeming with useless wankery but because they have look m i n i m a l i s t people are falling over each other because it looks like good design.

I just remembered this:

Want to you use your wireless mouse while it's charging?

gently caress you buy another one

OH, God, that one so pissed me off. I KNOW Apple can do better. Put the goddamned charge port where a cable would go on a wired mouse, you muppets. Is that so difficult to conceptualize? That was just sheer... well, not stupid. Arrogance, maybe? Condescending? "You'll buy it anyway, because: Apple."
To be fair, it will charge enough to last several hours in 15 minutes, and I only have to charge mine like once a month (at work.)

Then they go and remove all the ports we've been using for the last 5 years from the MacBook Pros...

Oh, and those artsy wrenches are dumb. You can make wrenches look cool and still be, you know, functional. Why doesn't anyone make wrenches with round bodies, so they don't hurt your palms? I thought the Craftsman twisted wrenches were useful, since you typically push against them perpindicular to the direction of the wrench opening.

Deteriorata posted:

Supposedly it can get a 9-hour charge in about 2 minutes, so it's not as big of a deal as it seems. If your mouse dies, plug it in and go to the bathroom. It'll be good to go when you get back.

This.

Fermented Tinal posted:

But they could've handled it a lot differently.

Hell, even creatively. Like, make it so you press down a little hard on the back and it pops up 5mm to reveal a usb port. Use mouse as normal until charged and then unplug and press the case back down.

See, that would be kinda cool.

What they did was lazy.

But also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Raluek posted:

I think it's actually the opposite of that. Why give you a 16mm and a 5/8" socket, when they can just give you the 5/8"?

Personally, I use sae sockets and wrenches so infrequently compared to metric that I dumped them all into my "poo poo tools I never use" box.