Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

shouldn't 152mm artillery rounds pulverize a building? the pictures make it look like a bunch of kids threw some rocks at the windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

He didn't challenge Putin though, he challenged the military-security block. This is a fight between the different towers of the Kremlin for the remaining sources of money, not because of a challenge to the rotten system itself.
Fair enough. Either way, I do not think that prison is entirely off the table here. Inside fight or not, with the upcoming election it can beneficial for Putin to persecute him properly just for the ratings.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Fushigi Yuugi fansub posted:

shouldn't 152mm artillery rounds pulverize a building? the pictures make it look like a bunch of kids threw some rocks at the windows.
Yeah these seem to be just broken windows from the artillery hitting nearby houses, based on some Twitter searching.

Here's a random photo of WW2 152mm shell damage from our very own EE:

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 15, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It's unclear if the school in particular was targeted. Bunch of shells fell in the general area over night, damaging the school and couple of homes in the area. No direct hits or casualties that I can find of.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I'm seeing sandbags in windows so I wonder how much of the school was still being used for that purpose. ]

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I'm seeing sandbags in windows so I wonder how much of the school was still being used for that purpose. ]
157 active pupils, it's the only school in the general area. Due to that, it will continue to operate despite shelling. I imagine the sandbags are there since the school has been a victim of a shelling at least thrice in past two years.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Who wants some good news?

Reforms in Ukraine are being carried out and enjoy some success, albeit woefully insufficient still.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
That's great... they better step it up before Trump takes over, and works us out of any Russian sanctions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ulyukaev case getting interesting. Putin is deciding about relieving him from duty, while Peskov has said that his arrest is not related to the Bashneft' deal of 2009. The prosecutor appointed to the Ulyukaev's case is the same one who led the case against Navalnyi brothers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely some good progress, though the picture on the ground is still not too rosy. I guess this was last year but also there was some improvement on LGBT rights. They should also do something with healthcare (not just procurement) - nominally it's free, but in practice not so much.

Has anyone seen any updates about the EU visa free travel? Apparently this just kind of... died out, the last I heard was that there were supposed to be some proposals or discussions in Sept/Oct and then nothing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Definitely some good progress, though the picture on the ground is still not too rosy. I guess this was last year but also there was some improvement on LGBT rights. They should also do something with healthcare (not just procurement) - nominally it's free, but in practice not so much.

Has anyone seen any updates about the EU visa free travel? Apparently this just kind of... died out, the last I heard was that there were supposed to be some proposals or discussions in Sept/Oct and then nothing.
EU backed the visa-free travel agreement in the end of September, so now all the states need to agree on the details. The major slowdown hides in the killswitch desired by France and Germany, nobody can quite agree about some nebulous mechanism to somehow to some extent restrict visa-free travel in the event of sharp immigration increase. That is what has killed visa-free travel for Georgia as well.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

I see several chipped bricks at the height where the broken windows are and nowhere else on the structure so it looks like it took no direct impacts but was hit by shrapnel.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:laffo: Estonian company Raihan Group is organising direct bus trips from Tallin to Latvian alcohol shops in Valka and Ainaži.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

alex314 posted:

Trump victory has done a number on polish currency: within days USD-PLN went from 3,90 to 4,10. It's not like I wanted to buy any of those fancy-schmancy electronic gadgets for christmas..

Thanks Trump!

loving hell. I wanted to buy a watch on ebay. :( Should have pulled the trigger when I first saw it

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 16, 2016

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:laffo: Estonian company Raihan Group is organising direct bus trips from Tallin to Latvian alcohol shops in Valka and Ainaži.

When my unit returned from a military exercise in Lithuania we had to dress up in civvies. I figured it was for some super secret operational secrecy reasons, but the actual reason... : )

It helped that we were traveling with our own bus and not a truck.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:rip: Ulyukaev got fired by Putin.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Does Estonia have super-high alcohol tax or something?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

In Czech Republic some idiots proposed to make defamation of president a crime.

Similar nonsense to artificially increase "dignity" of a state institution was proposed in Slovak Republic, where ruling coalition wants to limit maximum time of MPs speeches in the plenary debate and prohibit use of audio, video and audio-video equipment in debates. Which is according to the president unconstitutional bullying.

I guess some people believe that respect for political institutions can be improved by prohibiting disprespect, because not being vulgar kleptomaniacs is too hard.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 16, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Unsurprisingly, those idiots were mainly the commies:

KSČM: 27 for (82% of them)
ANO: 15 for (32%)
ČSSD: 15 for (30%)
Úsvit: 7 for (50%)

steinrokkan posted:

They do now, apparently! All the real Nordic countries used to go there to stock up on cheap booze but they started increasing the taxes starting in 2015 IIRC.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

EU backed the visa-free travel agreement in the end of September, so now all the states need to agree on the details. The major slowdown hides in the killswitch desired by France and Germany, nobody can quite agree about some nebulous mechanism to somehow to some extent restrict visa-free travel in the event of sharp immigration increase. That is what has killed visa-free travel for Georgia as well.
Thanks! Is there a convenient way to track progress on this and other issues EU is working on? With all the emphasis on transparency there has to be some official page for this stuff, but I usually end up finding just random articles that you don't know if they're representing the latest situation or not.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

They have significantly higher excise duties than Latvia. In euros:
  • Wine/fermented stuff <=6% - 100 litres - 48.55 EE/64 LV/0 EU minimum
  • Wine/fermented stuff >6% - 100 litres - 111.98 EE/82 LV/0 EU minimum
  • Beer - per each 1% of alcohol by volume in 100 litres - 8.3 EE/4.8* LV/1.87 EU minimum
  • Intermediate products - 100 litres - 239.12 EE/135** LV/45 EU minimum
  • Other alcohol - 100 litres of ethanol - 2172 EE/1500 LV/550 EU minimum
*Excise duty on beer can't be lower than 8.6 EUR per 100 litres regardless of alcohol content. Beer made in small local breweries has 50% smaller excise duty for first 1000 cubic metres of beer made each calendar year. Breweries still have to adhere to 8.6 EUR minimum.
**Our law differentiates between <=15% and 15<x<=22%, 82 EUR for the former, and 135 EUR for the latter.

Hence, Estonians frequently shop for alcohol in Latvia.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 16, 2016

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

They do now, apparently! All the real Nordic countries used to go there to stock up on cheap booze but they started increasing the taxes starting in 2015 IIRC.
The previous government planned to increase alcohol excises every year. I guess that's one reason why they are previous : )

I'm pretty sure it won't go up any more now.

Though it's still cheaper than in Nordics, they will save even more money now by traveling to Latvian border.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks! Is there a convenient way to track progress on this and other issues EU is working on? With all the emphasis on transparency there has to be some official page for this stuff, but I usually end up finding just random articles that you don't know if they're representing the latest situation or not.
When stuff is set in paper, you can find them on EUR-Lex. When it is being talked about, you can usually try to find it on European Parliament website, but the searching functionality there is rather unwieldy. Unwieldy enough that you have to know what you're looking for, essentially. Say, Ukrainian visa exemption vote is here.

There you can also find the immigration kill switch bit:

quote:

The decision to grant the visa free regime to Ukraine should not be postponed until the establishment of the monitoring mechanism. The visa free regime should be granted now, however, with a reservation that the suspension mechanism will be automatically introduced as soon as its modalities are elaborated.

But you'll still have to go to news to find out that it's German/French pressure to do so, or to generally find out about these things without reading mountains of pampered legal boilerplate.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't Estonia the country that so desperately wishes to join the Nordic countries club?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

jonnypeh posted:

The previous government planned to increase alcohol excises every year. I guess that's one reason why they are previous : )

I'm pretty sure it won't go up any more now.

Though it's still cheaper than in Nordics, they will save even more money now by traveling to Latvian border.

getting cheap vodka just becomes too time consuming if we have to first take a ferry to Tallinn and then a bus to Latvia

this is the reason why we need the Helsinki-Tallinn bullet train tunnel

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Isn't Estonia the country that so desperately wishes to join the Nordic countries club?
Yes, fringe Eastern European nations such as Baltics, Poland, or Czech Republic, are desperately seeking to reform the popular perception about them by not being labelled as Eastern European.

Edit: In other news, Russian parliament has accepted regulation to fine MPs for poor attendance. 1/6th of [monthly] salary per a missed session.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 16, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Sorry but when your country's name is literally "East-onia", you can't avoid being an Eastern country. Try rebranding yourself as Nordonia and we'll talk.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

North Poleland :poland:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Don't fret, soon it's gonna be Lower St. Petersburgia

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pierogi posted:

Don't fret, soon it's gonna be Lower St. Petersburgia

I'm over here bashing the fash and now the commies are coming fuckin' 'ell

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

dex_sda posted:

I'm over here bashing the fash and now the commies are coming fuckin' 'ell

Oh no, they're the fash too friend, keep bashing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Russia is completely withdrawing from the ICC in The Hague. Looks like the court actually doing its job and investigating Russia's involvement in eastern Ukraine and Georgia in 2008 hurt their feelings, so now they don't want to play anymore. Rumor has it that Russian diplomats left an upper-decker in the toilet, when they left.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/16/russia-withdraws-signature-from-iccs-founding-statute/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:eyepop: Ulyukaev scandal might escalate into arrest of Dvorkovich.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, fringe Eastern European nations such as Baltics, Poland, or Czech Republic, are desperately seeking to reform the popular perception about them by not being labelled as Eastern European.

I always thought that at least Poland and the Czech Republic belong to Central Europe together with us here in Germany (and Austria and Switzerland).

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hmmm, Yes Poland definitely belongs with Germany.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I always thought that at least Poland and the Czech Republic belong to Central Europe together with us here in Germany (and Austria and Switzerland).

Geographically we're central Europe, but politically and culturally we're very much EE. Our democracy is still unstable and underdeveloped and our values are much closer to Russia's than Germany's (unfortunately). The Czechs I think are much closer to Germany than we are (they don't seem to freak out nearly as much about gay people, secularism, feminism, etc..) so maybe you can have them. :)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah that Czech Republic bit was mostly to tease Czech posters a bit, I remember having somewhat fierce discussions on this some time ago. Central Euorpe is basically just Czech Republic. Maybe Slovenia too, but is slightly stretching it I think.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Really only sense in which Central Europe makes sense is as the German-influenced area. The Czech Republic has much more culturally common with Bavaria or Austria than with Russia - as for Poland, I will defer to Pale Horse's judgment, but it's interesting that since the Polish nation has been relocated West of its original territory, it is undeniably occupying land that has material history tied to Germany and the Habsburgs.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Torrannor posted:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah that Czech Republic bit was mostly to tease Czech posters a bit, I remember having somewhat fierce discussions on this some time ago. Central Euorpe is basically just Czech Republic. Maybe Slovenia too, but is slightly stretching it I think.
I was about to ask why you two keep calling it the Czech Republic but Czechia hasn't caught on there either..

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 16, 2016

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol Czechia sounds like the Czech Republic's little sister or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

I was about to ask why you two why you keep calling it the Czech Republic but Czechia hasn't caught on there either..
Don't look at me, I have not problems calling Čehija Чехия.