Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

made an amateur mistake over here and changed my amazon order to deliver to work instead of home and now it says it won't arrive until tuesday of next week guess I'm canceling my physical order and going digital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're in Australia, Big W's going to have the new Pokemon games for $46AU if you want to save a bit of money.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dehry posted:

The review embargo is lifting for Sun and Moon if you're completely avoiding anything about the game.

They're pretty standard Pokemon reviews and probably won't tell you anything new if you're already familiar with the series. Then again, the games are pretty samey and don't change that much.

If any of you didn't like the past Pokemon games for whatever reasons, I doubt Sun and Moon will change your mind.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dr. Fetus posted:

They're pretty standard Pokemon reviews and probably won't tell you anything new if you're already familiar with the series. Then again, the games are pretty samey and don't change that much.

If any of you didn't like the past Pokemon games for whatever reasons, I doubt Sun and Moon will change your mind.

While it's not entirely groundbreaking I'd say Sun/Moon shakes the formula up quite a bit though? Or at least that's the impression I got as someone who's only really stuck to the trailers and that's about it.

Like them ditching Gyms and instead having you photograph pokemon instead and other things seems kinda big. I don't even know what the end-game is as they're apparently still building the league while the adventure is going on.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
Getting rid of HMs is a really big deal for me. Most Pokémon games get a bit tedious near the end when you have to shuffle pokémon in and out of your party in order to progress the game, and you're pretty much forced to have a flying type and a water type on your team because fly and surf are impossible to live without. Now I can just catch whatever I want and just enjoy the game.

On top of that the game has, as far as I can tell from the demo, great new pokémon designs, some interesting type combinations and interesting villains for once. I'm sure it's not going to appeal to people who don't like the series, but as a fan, it's the first Pokémon game in a long time that feels like something special.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm sure this has been asked and answered but gently caress Nintendo makes this way more confusing than it needs to be...

A friend just bought a 3DSXL that came preinstalled with VC Mario World. He wants to put a bigger SD card in it. What's he need to do to transfer the game to the new card?

It seems like plugging the old card into a computer, copying everything off of it, and copying everything onto the new card is moving his save file but not the actual game.

I've offered my 3DS but I'm not sure if sticking his old SD card into my DS and doing a wireless system transfer to his DS with the new card is going to do what we want (and I don't want to gently caress up any of my saves, if that's a concern).

Does he need to call Nintendo and request an NNID/System transfer (even though he's using the same 3DS hardware)?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He can already just redownload the game whenever he wants. If it's transferring his save that's really all he needs.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

greatn posted:

He can already just redownload the game whenever he wants. If it's transferring his save that's really all he needs.

Awesome, I was hoping it'd be that easy. Since it came preinstalled I wasn't sure if the game would be properly tied to his NNID. I'll tell him to create an NNID, copy the save, put in the new card and redownload the game. Thanks!

E: Worked, thanks again! ^^

Lawen fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 15, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've beat the whole thing so it's hard to think stuff I would want to say would be major spoilers...So I'll let Pokemon.com do it.

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/the-rite-of-the-island-challenge/

Unless you want to break down the story into "The trainer defeats the bad guys after getting a starter pokemon," this is a very different experience.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The HMs are the biggest deal for me too. I hated having two of my slots filled by HM slaves since I refused to teach HMs to my party Pokemon.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm still trying to untrain myself from pressing X then the Pokemon Menu even after a week.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Completely unrelated, the top screen on my 3DSXL went out. How much is a replacement from Nintendo, and is it worth trying to do it myself?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Is 7th Dragon any good in scratching that Persona itch?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

its literally nothing like persona

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

its literally nothing like persona

It's a turn-based RPG where you spend some time trying to bang your teammates and the rest defending against some sort of existential threat by crawling through dungeons. How is it not like Persona?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SweetBro posted:

It's a turn-based RPG where you spend some time trying to bang your teammates

???

Your whole party is blank slates you create. Are you mixing this up with Dragon Quest or something?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

???

Your whole party is blank slates you create. Are you mixing this up with Dragon Quest or something?

No, I just read over one of the descriptions and it said "When your team needs a break between dungeons, make time for side quests, base building, dating, and a cat café."

Since it's obvious that this isn't the case based on people's responses does anyone have a recommendation for a game that has good pacing split between dungeon crawling, interacting with interesting characters, and some sort of arbitrary stat building bullshit?

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 16, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah uhh, the dates happen between complete blank slates that you create and a couple of NPCs. It's also like miniscule compared to how Persona handles it.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah uhh, the dates happen between complete blank slates that you create and a couple of NPCs. It's also like miniscule compared to how Persona handles it.

That's completely loving retarded. Why would I care if two characters bang if there is no saucy drama surrounding it?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
use your imagination

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

SweetBro posted:

Since it's obvious that this isn't the case based on people's responses does anyone have a recommendation for a game that has good pacing split between dungeon crawling, interacting with interesting characters, and some sort of arbitrary stat building bullshit?
If you have a WiiU, Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

If not...uhhh, maybe Bravely Default/Bravely Second? It's more Final Fantasy than Persona gameplay-wise (but with a lot of modern QOL improvements, like being able to shut off random encounters), but the characters are pretty great.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SweetBro posted:

That's completely loving retarded. Why would I care if two characters bang if there is no saucy drama surrounding it?

This game was made in Japan after all, land of Guy Who Brings Body Pillows On Dates

Try the demo, if it's still available. I like Persona games a lot, but I was over this game within 20 minutes. It's super tropey.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

interrodactyl posted:

Completely unrelated, the top screen on my 3DSXL went out. How much is a replacement from Nintendo, and is it worth trying to do it myself?

Needed my n3DSXL replacing and it cost £77.50 in the UK, it took just under a month from send-off to return. If you have an older 3ds and not a `'new'` one it's not worth it. The screens themselves are pretty cheap on ebay if you want to do it yourself, but apparently it's fairly fiddly.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
7th Dragon is great if you're looking for a easier, more linear Etrian game with flashier battles and 100x more anime. It's also one of my favorite series from the PSP so I'm looking forward to trying out the 3DS one.

Also just started Fire Emblem and I love how the faux old-timey way they talk makes them sound like guys trying to LARP.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Fetus posted:

You're telling me you can create and date your own custom waifu?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Nintendo is banhammering people who pirated Sun and Moon. Blocking them from estore and internet.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Good. Not that it'll matter to them, but good.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

So far it seems the bans are only if they foolishly tried to use its online services

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

El Burbo posted:

So far it seems the bans are only if they foolishly tried to use its online services

It's not even that. It's probably because they used online services before street date. You can play pretty much any other pirated game online without any bans.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Beastie posted:

Nintendo is banhammering people who pirated Sun and Moon. Blocking them from estore and internet.

I wish there were more dodos around here so I could read the inevitable "Nintendo bricked my 3DS for like no reason, gently caress em, I'm gonna sue" posts.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The ones directed at Blizzard for banning hackers were delightful. 14 year old Anon fanboys threatening action was just too much.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Beastie posted:

Are the bans permanent?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I believe they are for the accounts and the Ds.

http://kotaku.com/players-who-pirated-pokemon-sun-and-moon-say-nintendo-i-1789039343

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Are the bans permanent?

Nope, just a slap on the wrist 15 day ban.

Not that a lot of the offenders know that. :laugh:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Really, 15 days? Not that Kotaku is the paragon of journalism but their article (and the grabs from the ds') do not indicate the length of the ban.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nobody that pirated the game actually needs eshop access, so good job Nintendo I guess

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Beastie posted:

Really, 15 days? Not that Kotaku is the paragon of journalism but their article (and the grabs from the ds') do not indicate the length of the ban.

The error code indicates the type of ban, and the length.

It's gonna have to be temporary because this hits everyone that went online, including people who got their copies because a store broke street date. And I guess reviewers who were dumb enough to not follow directions.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Nobody that pirated the game actually needs eshop access, so good job Nintendo I guess

Does it also block the Freeshop thing? (I doubt it.)

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

enojy posted:

I wish there were more dodos around here so I could read the inevitable "Nintendo bricked my 3DS for like no reason, gently caress em, I'm gonna sue" posts.

The amount of "Good" posts I've seen concerning this news have been reassuring.

I guess it's a statement on how different the console/handheld mindsets can be versus ones for PC/mobile.

I mean I'm also gonna guess the ones that are having fits right now are pretty young and maybe don't have an understanding of how the walled-off ecosystems generally operate.

They don't remember the time Serebii got caught red handed reporting on their own experience with a bug they assumed was in all retail copies in Black/White that only happened to people who pirated the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dont pirate new games, imo