Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I want to try a single malt scotch and Tomatin 12 year seems to be the only offering at my liquor store in my price range. Worth the $30?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rock My Socks! posted:

I want to try a single malt scotch and Tomatin 12 year seems to be the only offering at my liquor store in my price range. Worth the $30?

Yeah, one of the more under-appreciated malts imo.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tomatin is fantastic for what you pay for it. Very light Speyside malt, nice buttery rum nose and a sweet taste.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What single malt (not super smokey) would you buy for $100 or less right now?

edit: bought a bottle of Glengoyne 21

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 12, 2016

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Yeah, one of the more under-appreciated malts imo.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Tomatin is fantastic for what you pay for it. Very light Speyside malt, nice buttery rum nose and a sweet taste.

Thanks! Picked up a bottle and thououghly enjoying it :)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

After becoming a grad student and having my income to cost of living ratio savagely curtailed, I've been trying out American bourbons rather than Scotch whiskys.

Got a Journeyman Distillery's Buggy Whip Wheat half off and it was surprisingly flavorful for being a very clean, very sweet American whiskey.

B+ would recommend.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

After becoming a grad student and having my income to cost of living ratio savagely curtailed, I've been trying out American bourbons rather than Scotch whiskys.

Got a Journeyman Distillery's Buggy Whip Wheat half off and it was surprisingly flavorful for being a very clean, very sweet American whiskey.

B+ would recommend.

If you happen to be near SW Michigan you should really head to Three Oaks and check the place out sometime. They've got quite a variety there and you can get sample flights to try them all out.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Frohike999 posted:

If you happen to be near SW Michigan you should really head to Three Oaks and check the place out sometime. They've got quite a variety there and you can get sample flights to try them all out.

Seconding this. Journeyman's is a cool place, and most of their liquor is good with a few great ones. Their gin is one of my favorites.

It's a fun place, but I haven't checked it out since Staymaker opened up. I really need to make a trip back out there.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
My OH was in the states for work (we're in Europe) so I asked her to pick up some rye whiskey in the airport. She got me Jack Daniels single barrel rye. Anyone tried this / have an opinion?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
She (rather the DF shop employee who helped her) chose poorly.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

saltyslug posted:

My OH was in the states for work (we're in Europe) so I asked her to pick up some rye whiskey in the airport. She got me Jack Daniels single barrel rye. Anyone tried this / have an opinion?

:(

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I should expand by saying it's probably one of a Jack Daniels' better offerings, but it's just not as good an introduction to rye as Whistle Pig or Jefferson's Straight Rye would be.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Talking of Rye's, what's people's opinion on Pikesville?

Not the cheaper one, but the 6 year 110 proof?

Is it worth the money, if not what would you get instead?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I'm not a huge bourbon aficionado. I'm more into beers. When I do drink whiskeys my go to is Makers. If I'm feeling fancy it's Angels Envy or on occasion single barrel Four Roses. Anyway, a beer friend is trying to make some money and offered me 3/5 a bottle of Elija Craig 18yr single barrel for $100. Is this worth picking up? What does it compare to. The only other most expensive 'prestigious' thing I've had was a pour of 23 ORVW which had absolutely no burn to it and was amazing. Guess I'm asking is it worth picking up and enjoying?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

sterster posted:

So I'm not a huge bourbon aficionado. I'm more into beers. When I do drink whiskeys my go to is Makers. If I'm feeling fancy it's Angels Envy or on occasion single barrel Four Roses. Anyway, a beer friend is trying to make some money and offered me 3/5 a bottle of Elija Craig 18yr single barrel for $100. Is this worth picking up? What does it compare to. The only other most expensive 'prestigious' thing I've had was a pour of 23 ORVW which had absolutely no burn to it and was amazing. Guess I'm asking is it worth picking up and enjoying?

The EC18 isn't as good as bottles from about 10 years ago, but it's still good. $100 isn't a bad price either.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Last time I had EC18 was about 6-7 years ago, it was spent, over aged.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Jamsta posted:

Talking of Rye's, what's people's opinion on Pikesville?

Not the cheaper one, but the 6 year 110 proof?

Is it worth the money, if not what would you get instead?

That's the one I posted about a week or so ago.

It's pretty great, definitely worth it.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I just picked up some famous grouse on recommendation from an employee at the liquor store I go to. Haven't tried it yet, but wanted to know the 's opinion on it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Invisible Ted posted:

Famous Grouse but wanted to know the 's opinion on it.

Good stuff drink now. Yum. Share.

Edit: 3/4 through a bottle as well

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Invisible Ted posted:

I just picked up some famous grouse on recommendation from an employee at the liquor store I go to. Haven't tried it yet, but wanted to know the 's opinion on it.

One of the better cheap scotch blends

I prefer Monkey Shoulder though for a few bucks more

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Knucklebear posted:

That's the one I posted about a week or so ago.

It's pretty great, definitely worth it.

Incredible. I must have scrolled past, I even used search. Glad you rated it, I'll keep an eye out for it at a good price. Cheers

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Deceptive Thinker posted:

One of the better cheap scotch blends

I prefer Monkey Shoulder though for a few bucks more

I literally just finished a bottle of Monkey shoulder a few days ago, it's excellent for the price.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Literal trip report:

Driving across nowhere country Wisconsin today I happened to stop at a gas station that turned out to be also a Polish restaurant and import market. Browsing the unfamiliar liquor shelf with my phone out for reviews I ended up picking out a bottle of 5-Star brand Armenian brandy for 25% off the price you'd get on the internet.

Dry for a brandy, tastes like raisin and oak with a little bit of citrus zest and a toasted nut finish. Also I swear to god it smells like butter and maple syrup. Definitely a different flavor profile from the round, fruity American brandy I've had.

Solid A would shop at weird ethnic gas station again. Other people might deduct points for not being a whiskey.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 20, 2016

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
So, odd question. I'm usually much more a bourbon guy, but while visiting my in-laws abroad we came across bottles of Macallan Double Cask 12 on sale for half what it is in the states, and as it seems (based on two minutes of googling) to be well received and worth it at that price, I grabbed a half dozen bottles. Is this actually a decent whisky, or did I just load up on a bunch of Christmas gifts to foist onto coworkers?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Both? It's certainly drinkable, but it's also not incredible. I'd suggest cracking open a bottle and seeing how you like it, giving you the option of keeping the lot or giving away the rest. :shrug:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's a very decent whisky, how much did you pay for it?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

spankmeister posted:

It's a very decent whisky, how much did you pay for it?

About $39 a bottle, the liquor in Mexico seems to be pretty dirt cheap, but I've yet to find someplace with much of a selection beyond Sam's Club, and my in-laws aren't too eager to to find a liquor store being that they very staunchly don't drink (which is also the reason I'm waiting to get home before popping open a bottle).

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I'm going to be visiting the Nikka Yoichi distillery next week. Any recommendations on what to get?

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Is there an actual taste-able difference between whiskey and bourbon?

I'm starting to get annoyed at the categorization. For instance, if I ask a bartender for a suggestion and he asks "whiskey or bourbon?" The question feels asinine. I just want to taste something nice, bro.

More info: I usually am in the mood for rye or wheat or spice or smoke or some kind of fancy-pants barrel proof (etc). I've never paid much attention to whether I'm drinking whiskey or bourbon.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 3, 2016

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

baby puzzle posted:

Is there an actual taste-able difference between whiskey and bourbon?

I'm starting to get annoyed at the categorization. For instance, if I ask a bartender for a suggestion and he asks "whiskey or bourbon?" The question feels asinine. I just want to taste something nice, bro.

More info: I usually am in the mood for rye or wheat or spice or smoke or some kind of fancy-pants barrel proof (etc). I've never paid much attention to whether I'm drinking whiskey or bourbon.

Bourbon IS a type of whiskey so whatever bartender you're talking to isn't well-informed
Rye (often a component IN bourbon) gets you the spiciness
Islay scotch will have the smoke

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Bourbon IS a type of whiskey so whatever bartender you're talking to isn't well-informed

Agreed. Whiskey/whisky is a superset, and there are a load of different subtypes. Bourbon, Scotch, Irish, rye, Canadian, Japanese, and so on are all whisk[e]y, but there is enormous variation between those types and even within each of them.

A bunch of the types have specific legal requirements associated with the name. Bourbon, for example, must be made from a grist of 51% or more corn, must be distilled in the US, must be aged in new charred oak barrels, and a number of other requirements. Rye whiskey is similar, but must be 51% or more rye (in the US, anyway - other rules might apply in other places). And all of the region-specific types have their own rules, first among them that they must be distilled in the named country - you can't make Scotch whisky in Ireland, and you can't make Irish whiskey in Scotland - but with additional strictures as well.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Also, plenty of things labeled just as "whiskey" for various reasons can still be good at the price point or great overall.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Like Fireball. :stare:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kidsafe posted:

Like Fireball. :stare:
Fireball is a national treasure :colbert:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

nervana posted:

I'm going to be visiting the Nikka Yoichi distillery next week. Any recommendations on what to get?

Go to the have-to-pay tasting area after you finish the swill at the end of the tour, and pay whatever they're asking to try the Yoichi 20. I think it was 1300 yen when I was there at the beginning of the year. It is worth every yen and more besides.

For the best experience, order a taste of the Yoichi 10 at the same time (700 yen I think) and try it before the 20.

I got home seriously considering selling my soul for a bottle of the 20.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone else really like Old Grandad 114? The smell alone is loving amazing

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

I almost grabbed one a while back when I was in the US, but grabbed something else instead. I like Old Granddad 100 as a great mixer ( and it's $32 in Canada when it shows up) or occasional sipper. The guy I was with also waffled on it, but heard that it was a pretty solid buy for the price.

Zarkboy
Apr 11, 2006

Brimming with excitingly bad ideas.

Rock My Socks! posted:

Anyone else really like Old Grandad 114? The smell alone is loving amazing

Hell yes. It's an outstanding bourbon for the price. It's versatile in a range of cocktails, and pretty easy to sip neat or with a splash of water.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Hate to be that guy but 114 is getting discontinued so stock up while you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So Saturday morning, a local liquor store is having their rare bourbon allocation sale. They'll have 185 bottles across the below varieties (no sense in how much of each, just 185 total). It's one bottle per transaction, and you can get back in line if needed. We will be there about 5-7 hours before opening to get in line. I already have a bottle of Pappy 20 that my wife got me for our wedding, and it's 2/3rds full, so another isn't the highest priority. What should be my goals? I'm thinking WL Weller, Bartherhouse and George Stagg.

Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year
Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year
Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 Year
Rip Van Winkle 10 Year
William LaRue Weller
Thomas Handy 15 Year Sazerac Rye
George T Stagg 15 Year Barrel Proof
Eagle Rare 17 Year
Barterhouse Orphan Barrel 20 Year
Yamazaki 12 Year Japanese Single Malt
Weller Antique 107
Elijah Craig 18 Year