Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

There's the general lack of shields in the beginning classes (I believe a total of 1 class gets one?)

In comparison, I still remember Geop's initial reaction to the Dark Souls 1 character creation screen, along the lines of "So I've noticed even the mage has a shield. Should I take it as a hint?" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Trojan Kaiju posted:

This game is also the start of something brought up in the HBomberguy video, in which you can't always get away by just being out of range (though sometimes you can), because certain enemies, like that starting ogre and the ironclad knights, advance before attacking if you are just out of range. It's not a universal design decision but it's notable, especially since those 2 enemies were specifically shown off in promotional material due to the ways that they reacted to common Souls tactics.

They added in things that encouraged you to go shieldless, I know, but they also added in a bunch of stuff to punish it, too- like the enemies that delay their attacks and track you forever, so you really need to dodge an attack at the exact right time. In practice I always found that the game didn't so much encourage offense as it just punished everything.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 14, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Sum Gai posted:

They added in things that encouraged you to go shieldless, I know, but they also added in a bunch of stuff to punish it, too- like the enemies that delay their attacks and track you forever, so you really need to dodge an attack at the exact right time. In practice I always found that the game didn't so much encourage offense as it just punished everything.

Enemy attack tracking was one thing that really pissed me off about this one. They don't do it any less in Dark Souls 3, mind you, but at least in that game they had animations for doing a 180 in the middle of an attack to swing behind them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The enemy tracking was more a response to people fishing for backstabs in Dark Souls 1 than it is a way to counter dodging. Dark Souls 1 becomes a billion times easier if you stay close to an enemy, dodge it once and then backstab it. It's a near guaranteed win against 90% of the humanoid type enemies and even some non-humanoid enemies in that game. It's just that the tracking implementation in Dark Souls 2 wasn't very good as it made it very hard to read enemy movements sometimes.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Goonther, the Hands of Shield

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The real DARK Souls starts here.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Don't listen to them Geop, do it like me and don't light any sconces, you don't need them at all!

I was dumb and thought torches were useless.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Gotta hand it to you, you found that shield faster than I did.

I can't really come to grips with the fact that you don't have enough strength to wield it though.

I am glad you remained palm and didn't kill that bug though.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Sum Gai posted:

so you really need to dodge an attack at the exact right time.

As opposed to dodging at the wrong time.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
I'm currently on part 18, where Geop gets the binoculars, so sorry if it's already been mentioned:
Geop, you might want to turn off depth of field. It makes the game look like poo poo, especially if you're using the binoculars. The bluriness is (mostly) DoF's fault, it's not texturing.

On:

Off:

PC version, but I'm guessing it's the same on consoles.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The Gutter is imo a good, idealized version of both Blighttown and Tomb of the Giants in terms of gameplay. But I also stopped using a shield about half an hour into the game so I was way more comfortable keeping a torch up forever

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so does anything happen if you light all the sconces in the gutter?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

double nine posted:

in this gutter, yes

but actually *finding* all the sconces, though

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

scamtank posted:

in this gutter, yes

That's why i asked. I tried finding all of them and went through the entire gutter over and over but never got anything.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

double nine posted:

That's why i asked. I tried finding all of them and went through the entire gutter over and over but never got anything.

There are certain easily missable side areas with sconces. I have only managed to do it once because there is always one i miss.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I have to say, Squint does a very good Duke impression.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

scamtank posted:

in this gutter, yes

It's easier to see the side areas and paths and things you could fall on from above if you had more light with you.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
You totally want to light all torches here in Scholar edition, because it does a thing.

Of course doing that is a goddamn nightmare, unless you already know the level pretty well.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Fire is your friend in the Gutter.

Also lighting sconces in this game was a must for me; I thought it made the world look way prettier.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Attestant posted:

You totally want to light all torches here in Scholar edition, because it does a thing.

Of course doing that is a goddamn nightmare, unless you already know the level pretty well.

The one torch they added to the long rope that goes from one end to the other is very missable, and on my first try the thing ended up in the abyss. :(

It's a shame that it's almost impossible to get invasions in the Gutter (and in general), because all the different routes and shortcuts makes it a very intense area to pvp in.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Psychedelicatessen posted:

It's a shame that it's almost impossible to get invasions in the Gutter (and in general), because all the different routes and shortcuts makes it a very intense area to pvp in.

The one time I got invaded there, I was at the first bonfire and the invader spawned on the other side of the chasm. I just sat there and watched him flail around for two or three minutes until he finally fell off an edge and died.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The Gutter is pretty bad to be an invader in. The host can be a real pain to find, he may randomly fall off somewhere, there are plenty of one way segments you can accidentally go down to, and the statues hate even you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crush the statues with your mighty torch, Geop.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
It's painful watching geop bow down harmless bugs, but I guess I can give him a pass since he skipped the bonfire and was far away. Most of the danger in the gutter is gravity instead of the enemies, except for one specific attack by the hollows. I think the move Geop got hit by that chunked him for half his HP was the 2h R2 equivalent for those dudes. The problem is all their other attacks are pretty slow, too, even though the others don't do nearly as much damage. The hard hitting move I think is a wind up to a thrust attack. I was surprised too, because they have what looks like broken swords for weapons. Later on you can get swarmed by a lot of them and have low room to maneuver, so it's pretty easy to get dogpiled by these dudes and it's hard to see what enemy is doing what attack in the dark.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

sckye posted:

I'm currently on part 18, where Geop gets the binoculars, so sorry if it's already been mentioned:
Geop, you might want to turn off depth of field. It makes the game look like poo poo, especially if you're using the binoculars. The bluriness is (mostly) DoF's fault, it's not texturing.

On:

Off:

PC version, but I'm guessing it's the same on consoles.
Unless I'm missing a secret options window, the PS4 definitely won't let me disable graphical effects :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cory in the Blouse posted:

It's painful watching geop bow down harmless bugs, but I guess I can give him a pass since he skipped the bonfire and was far away. Most of the danger in the gutter is gravity instead of the enemies, except for one specific attack by the hollows. I think the move Geop got hit by that chunked him for half his HP was the 2h R2 equivalent for those dudes. The problem is all their other attacks are pretty slow, too, even though the others don't do nearly as much damage. The hard hitting move I think is a wind up to a thrust attack. I was surprised too, because they have what looks like broken swords for weapons. Later on you can get swarmed by a lot of them and have low room to maneuver, so it's pretty easy to get dogpiled by these dudes and it's hard to see what enemy is doing what attack in the dark.
That's not it - the enemy that hit him hard actually had a sword, and something that's also pretty hard to see without a torch (mhm) is that it is covered in a dark aura. That's where the damage is coming from. The pitiful no-damage hollows are unarmed.

Gutter is my favourite area in DS2. So much to explore, torches to light, it is dense in a way a lot of the other corridor-levels aren't...and it's just dark enough to be atmospheric without being too dark to come off as obnoxious.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
I'm going to say that I prefer Valley of Defilement and Blighttown over the Gutter. The poison and general assholery made the first two very frustrating, but without it I thought Gutter is just boring.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I want to add to all this Gutter talk that there may still be a way to get back to the first bonfire. I know for certain that when Geop was on the bridges that was the case. In any case there were some areas that were missed during this video.

Keeping a lit torch with you helps you see all kinds of things and it also may cast a shadow on one other weird and not really documented game mechanic that Geop has just barely missed in previous areas.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Laputanmachine posted:

I want to add to all this Gutter talk that there may still be a way to get back to the first bonfire. I know for certain that when Geop was on the bridges that was the case. In any case there were some areas that were missed during this video.

Keeping a lit torch with you helps you see all kinds of things and it also may cast a shadow on one other weird and not really documented game mechanic that Geop has just barely missed in previous areas.
it may be easier just to go through the rat boss bonfire and "restart" the area for that.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Geop posted:

Unless I'm missing a secret options window, the PS4 definitely won't let me disable graphical effects :v:

That's unfortunate. Oh well, no big deal.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
The Goonther knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is (whichever is greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation. The Geop uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the Goonther from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, and arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position that it wasn't, and it follows that the position that it was, is now the position that it isn't.

In the event that the position that it is in is not the position that it wasn't, the system has acquired a variation, the variation being the difference between where the Goonther is, and where it wasn't. If variation is considered to be a significant factor, it too may be corrected by the Geop. However, the Goonther must also know where it was.

The Goonther's guidance scenario works as follows. Because a variation has modified some of the information the missile has obtained, it is not sure just where it is. However, it is sure where it isn't, within reason, and it knows where it was. It now subtracts where it should be from where it wasn't, or vice-versa, and by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of where it shouldn't be, and where it was, it is able to obtain the deviation and its variation, which is called error.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

As long as shields exist, Goonther will never know

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Kuvo posted:

The Goonther knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is (whichever is greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation. The Geop uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the Goonther from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, and arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position that it wasn't, and it follows that the position that it was, is now the position that it isn't.

In the event that the position that it is in is not the position that it wasn't, the system has acquired a variation, the variation being the difference between where the Goonther is, and where it wasn't. If variation is considered to be a significant factor, it too may be corrected by the Geop. However, the Goonther must also know where it was.

The Goonther's guidance scenario works as follows. Because a variation has modified some of the information the missile has obtained, it is not sure just where it is. However, it is sure where it isn't, within reason, and it knows where it was. It now subtracts where it should be from where it wasn't, or vice-versa, and by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of where it shouldn't be, and where it was, it is able to obtain the deviation and its variation, which is called error.

*Opens up Wolfram Alpha.*

*furious typing with occasional AH HAHS! and EUREKAs*

This math checks out

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Blighttown felt vibrant and lived-in, and had wonderful atmosphere and scenery. The Gutter feels empty and suspended in a pit of blackness. I do not like The Gutter.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The ghosts work really well in the Gutter. Obviously the darkness makes them stand out more, but with all the sconces and such they seem to be busying themselves more often.

Also I am a sucker for lighting all the lights in videogames. It's just very satisfying. That and purifying the environment type mechanics.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

They should have put those gross swollen nutsack ghouls from the Shaded Woods in the Gutter rather than regular hollows. Although, the ones that have swords and hit like a truck are an excellent trap.

I'm so-so on the area. The torch-lighting gimmick is actually really fun, and there are a few wonderfully unsettling asides, like the big bug that won't hurt you (but absolutely terrified me the first time I went through, no poo poo), but...I dunno. Blighttown is actually really entertaining in it's utter cruelty, and the Valley of Defilement, while monumentally sadistic in a not-actually-fun way, was superbly disgusting yet felt the most like a real habitation in a profoundly sad state of being; a deep-south bayou shantytown from hell. The only thing missing was some hideous wretch strumming a banjo.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I really enjoy The Gutter because it also reminds me of some bits of DS1 where I thought "oh well I guess I'm as deep as I'm gonna go in the world". Then you find a new pit, which you head down.

And it keeps. On. Going. :staredog:

As handy as bonfire warping is in this game, I think it ruins some of the isolation that DS1 gave, particularly nearing Blighttown.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kuvo, I hope you guide Geop to a piece of armor in the gutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Pretty sure the wicked eye shield was one of the shield design contest winners.

• Locked thread