Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I was in a dumb COP at the bottom of a pretty steep valley, so ridgelines to shoot down into the COP in every direction. Just the absolute lowest ground because Army or whatever. Anyway a cool thing they did was set up rockets on time delay up in the hills and a day later or whatever they'd cook off and slam into the base or nearby or whatever. We only ever figured this out because we had a snowstorm / freeze out of nowhere and my buddy tripped on patrol and rolled down a hill and as he was climbing out of the snow realized he was wrapped up in some wires, which caused everyone to collectively poo poo themselves. We called EOD out and they uncovered the whole thing and anyway it was kind of funny that were dumping $Texas amounts of ordnance at the mountains every time we got hit when in reality the dudes that did it were probably long gone.

I thought this was common knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Oh yeah they did the mortar in the Hilux thing too and I'm a little sketchy on the details but I guess it happened enough that someone cleared an Apache to blow up the truck but it was the wrong truck and instead of mortars it was filled with doctors? I was at a different COP when this went down but it didn't do much for our ~Afghan partnerships~

Half the loving country was at any given time having a wedding, funeral, shura, or working in a hospital.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zeris posted:

Half the loving country was at any given time having a wedding, funeral, shura, or working in a hospital.

A target rich environment

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i stayed in balad for a couple weeks for medical training and we got mortared daily. kinda hard to care when it's PT uniforms on base and a 24 hour px, pizza hut, burger king, movie theater and two swimming pools.

at speicher we were mortared probably a couple times a month and we were 100% full battle rattle w/ pro mask strapped to you outside of your LSA, thanks to the rainbow warriors of 42nd inf running it

Yeah, I lived in that area. It wasn't pleasant. Also it got lit up a bunch while I was there. Hit some CHUs when some guys were on leave. Had a bullet fall into the roof of another chu. poo poo fell from the sky there. It wigs me out. The first time it was close, I kinda froze. Like, a deer or something.

I got some PTSD and poo poo from there but most of what hosed me up was Haiti. I loving hated Balad and would have traded with a poo poo FOB any day. I was a single dude who wanted to gently caress poo poo up. It's like living next to a resort. If you haven't experienced the traffic or bullshit in a town like that, it is the worst.

Also, Air Force wore the Pts and had no weapons. Didn't stop my unit from making me wear my poo poo and lug around a loving 203 back and goddamn forth.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Soulex posted:

Yeah, I lived in that area. It wasn't pleasant. Also it got lit up a bunch while I was there. Hit some CHUs when some guys were on leave. Had a bullet fall into the roof of another chu. poo poo fell from the sky there. It wigs me out. The first time it was close, I kinda froze. Like, a deer or something.

I got some PTSD and poo poo from there but most of what hosed me up was Haiti. I loving hated Balad and would have traded with a poo poo FOB any day. I was a single dude who wanted to gently caress poo poo up. It's like living next to a resort. If you haven't experienced the traffic or bullshit in a town like that, it is the worst.

Also, Air Force wore the Pts and had no weapons. Didn't stop my unit from making me wear my poo poo and lug around a loving 203 back and goddamn forth.

yeah. I went to Gabe after the training for the remainder of my deployment and it was a million times better

at Speicher our LSA was right on the flight line, after a month of off and on mortar attacks they just told us to stay in our chus since people only used the bunkers to piss in when they didnt feel like walking

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We had Air Force construction guys on our cop building a toc and fusion cell (I still don't know what the gently caress a fusion cell is) and some nice rear end digs for the CO and 1sgt (but don't worry our tents got concrete slabs so that we didn't have to walk on gravel anymore!).

Anyway those guys were Rambo as gently caress whenever ANYTHING happened. Small arms from like a click away? GEAR UP!!!!!!!!!! They ran so fast to guard posts ready to pop some rounds off. It would've been motivating if it wasn't such a stupid overreaction.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

TBeats posted:

(I still don't know what the gently caress a fusion cell is)
I betcha the "FOB Mayor" has an idea.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah I worked with some AF construction dudes and they moved tactically from building to building on the FOB.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A fusion cell is the part of the unit that deals with the different classes. Like Class V (ammo) was in the fusion cell and had to sometime coordinate with Class VIII (transportation?) etc. putting them all in one area is smart and prevents gently caress ups.

So a TOC for Logistics

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Pesticide20 posted:

poo poo, it was daily the first time I was at Shank. We still did the 173d Brigade run despite that.

I didn't spend much time at Shank but it seemed like it was a Small Base trying its absolute hardest to be a Big Stupid Base.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Soulex posted:

A fusion cell is the part of the unit that deals with the different classes. Like Class V (ammo) was in the fusion cell and had to sometime coordinate with Class VIII (transportation?) etc. putting them all in one area is smart and prevents gently caress ups.

So a TOC for Logistics

The whole fusion cell idea comes from realizing most people are too retarded to do the whole "who else needs to know?" thing during the course of their normal duties, so everyone is forced to sit in a fusion cell room (or 24/7 mIRC their fusion cell LIASON) and deal with an additional abstracted layer of communication, including BUBs/CUBs and all of the stupid periodic meetings that prevent secret-keeping retards from accomplishing their goal of making the entire deployed force miserable and undersupplied. At a cost, of course, of making the entire deployed force miserable and overly busy preparing slides for meetings.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

iKon posted:

I didn't spend much time at Shank but it seemed like it was a Small Base trying its absolute hardest to be a Big Stupid Base.

IIRC, there was usually a general officer lurking there for whatever reason.

One of my dudes was there on a layover for a convoy and was in the bathroom taking a poo poo when a rocket dudded off the top of the trailer.

e: Shank was also literally surrounded on all sides by mountains, which no doubt contributed to its daily rocket precipitation.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 16, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Zeris posted:

The whole fusion cell idea comes from realizing most people are too retarded to do the whole "who else needs to know?" thing during the course of their normal duties, so everyone is forced to sit in a fusion cell room (or 24/7 mIRC their fusion cell LIASON) and deal with an additional abstracted layer of communication, including BUBs/CUBs and all of the stupid periodic meetings that prevent secret-keeping retards from accomplishing their goal of making the entire deployed force miserable and undersupplied. At a cost, of course, of making the entire deployed force miserable and overly busy preparing slides for meetings.

We were command sized so the craziest things we had to do were shift changes. I guess that's the benefit of a 300 person unit where one of them is a general.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

psydude posted:

IIRC, there was usually a general officer lurking there for whatever reason.

McChrystal's legacy as the ISAF commander is up for debate, but I don't disagree with his notion that general officers should've done solid 3-4 year tours of the country as a PCS assignment.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. That and I think contractors as liaisons between armed forces and township maybe could have helped to prevent the whole "I know we just got to know each other but your country sucks and this jackass next to me got the short straw so here you go!"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wtf, there's a Green Beans at National Airport in DC. I thought that was one of those companies that sprang up exclusively to make money from BAF and KAF.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A lot of connecting flights. Los Angeles to Kandahar

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

iKon posted:

I got to be there on two different deployments and yes, it absolutely was.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Spent most of my deployment at Lagman which was eerily quiet. Big base niceties like a real full time shopette, decent cafeteria, and it was the movement hub for all air ops in Zabul.

Never got poo poo at or hit once which was disconcerting in a way because Smart and Apache got hit nearly weekly with some bullshit on just the other side of the city. You could see Apache from my building easily.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Is it opsec to mention which base I'm at in SW Asia while I'm mob'd

Looking to talk to any goons who went where I'm at and had anything interesting to talk about

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Ace of Baes posted:

We got mortared semi-regularly, but the only hit they ever got just ended up killing a handful of ANA.

That's how it goes. Only kill I can remember from IDF were when Dumbasses killed a Bangladeshi who cleaned our toilets who just wanted to send money home to his 12 brothers and sisters

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Is it opsec to mention which base I'm at in SW Asia while I'm mob'd

Looking to talk to any goons who went where I'm at and had anything interesting to talk about

I was the opsec manager over this past deployment and my general rule of thumb is that if you have to ask, it is.

Use official channels like .mil emails with encryption/digital signatures when talking about that stuff just to save yourself from any heartache, so that way you can at least validate who you're talking to has a need to know.

This has been my giving a gently caress army care post.

V/R,
Wasabi the J, SGT SMDFTB

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

psydude posted:

Yeah I worked with some AF construction dudes and they moved tactically from building to building on the FOB.

This is par for the course with the AF. I'm sure they went home and claimed they were Real American Heroes too

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

This is par for the course with the AF. I'm sure they went home and claimed they were Real American Heroes too

I'm not trying to knock anyone's service, but I have noticed a trend where the people who are the loudest about Benjamin Ghazi, invading Iran, and deploying ground troops to Syria to fight ISIS were all in the airforce or navy from like 1993-1997.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

I'm not trying to knock anyone's service, but I have noticed a trend where the people who are the loudest about Benjamin Ghazi, invading Iran, and deploying ground troops to Syria to fight ISIS were all in the airforce or navy from like 1993-1997.

That or somehow managed to not deploy to a combat zone during the GWOT.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

psydude posted:

all my anecdotes support this as well

this seems to especially apply to people who have an E/O-"car"-B which is always some modded Wrangler with "US COMBAT VETERAN" decals, plus an ARCOM sticker and Calvin pissing on an ISIS flag.

i could see getting some purple heart plates because i think you don't have to pay out of pocket for the registration fee? that's nice

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm the opposite but most of my friends are army combat vets from the GWOT. Only two that I served with that I can think of off the top of my head have common sense about political stuff. They are also the only two I talk to regularly.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My political views are limited. I gives a gently caress about republican or democrat. I care about getting my dick sucked

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Soulex posted:

My political views are limited. I gives a gently caress about republican or democrat. I care about getting my dick sucked

Finally, a platform I can get from behind.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
So a brief update on my correspondence situation:

The first letter I got was from one of my senators. It briefly offered condolences over the death of my wife and then they copy/pasted their standard form letter saying that they'll forward my information to the VA and ask them to give my case further consideration. I shot back an e-mail saying "why didn't you read my letter and why didn't you at least try to make it less obvious that you didn't read my letter?"

Two weeks later, I called his local office and explained what happened and ask that someone get back to me. The next day I received an email that was the exact same form letter I got before, except with "U.S. Department of the Army" in place of "Department of Veterans Affairs."

A week later, I post on my representative's Facebook page a rather angry message saying that clearly he's too busy running for reelection to help his constituents.

The next day I got an email from his veterans service representative and I had to explain that no, I'm not having issues with benefits, the whole thing is just a shitshow. I tactfully decided not to include a bitter "clearly you haven't read my letter" remark. He promised he'd pass my message along to the army.

A couple days later, I received a response from someone in the Secretary of the Army's office. After a brief "sorry for your loss" statement, it launched into a boilerplate "suicide prevention is something we take seriously" spiel. Page two was very very brief.

quote:

Your heart-felt letter highlighted significant areas that we will evaluate and target as our processes evolve to address the emerging needs of the force. Additionally, your letter has been forwarded to the Fort George Meade RAPIDS Office and Casualty Assistance Center to address your concerns regarding the lack of service and information provided to you by Fort Meade after the death of your wife.

Please be assured that there is no greater priority for the Army than the safety, well-being, and care of our Soldiers, their Families, and our Army Civilians. Thank you for the service and sacrifices of both you and SGT (NOT MY WIFE'S loving NAME, rear end in a top hat) to our Nation.

I wrote a letter directed to this specific individual saying "your letter sums up the problems that I have with the Army: You don't care." So we'll see how that goes.

About a week later, I got a phone call from a staffer at my other senator's office. I explained that, basically, I want the Army to make changes so this doesn't happen anymore and brought up the letter I'd received from the Secretary of the Army's office. I'm probably just pissing into the wind.

Finally, I took a hail mary when I saw that SMA Dailey has a Twitter account now and on Saturday I sent a tweet saying I sent his office a letter at the end of September about how the Army failed me and my wife and that I'm still waiting for a reply. Yesterday I got a direct message with the email address of his PAO, so I sent him an email telling him that DA civilians suck and the Army needs to take steps to keep anyone from living the farce I've been put through.

At this point, my expectations are so low that "response that isn't a form letter" would be a victory to me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We need a lifetime movie

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:stare:

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

McNally it really sucks your dad can't get VA benefits or whatever

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Goddam, dude, that ain't right.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
This is when you use the Washington Post's secure Dropbox thing and give them your story. You tried, burn them down now.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

McNally it really sucks your dad can't get VA benefits or whatever

Is that what the issue is? I can't be bothered to remember.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Vasudus posted:

This is when you use the Washington Post's secure Dropbox thing and give them your story. You tried, burn them down now.

gently caress them and watch this bitch burn

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Sorry McNally no one actually gives a gently caress veterans living or dead, see the thread title

maybe you can drive around and look for someone with a green light on their porch they might help, I don't know

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Vasudus posted:

This, Unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Second on the Post. Its time to sent everything to the media. Let them run with it. Watch the world burn.

• Locked thread