Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

The previous two DLC's had at least a feature here and there I was interested in, like bikes and trams, but this one seems entirely skippable. But i'm sure there will be something like "Oh by the way all the major mods make use of some incredibly minor feature added in the DLC, so if you want to use this improved public transit mod you need bullshit disasters"

Helicopters are kinda cool I guess but yeah that's all I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

The previous two DLC's had at least a feature here and there I was interested in, like bikes and trams, but this one seems entirely skippable. But i'm sure there will be something like "Oh by the way all the major mods make use of some incredibly minor feature added in the DLC, so if you want to use this improved public transit mod you need bullshit disasters"

Eh... CO actually seems to be going out of their way to avoid things like that; major systemic changes like Night/Day or Weather get rolled out to everyone, and the building events system of Match Day seems like it was half made just for modders to take advantage of and that was totally free. They make sure that all users are running on the same version of the engine regardless of whether they have an expansion or not, it's just access to specific features are toggled off.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
If you can't click on the helicopter causing it to fall out of the sky potentially starting a blaze then I don't know what.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

The Deadly Hume posted:

If you can't click on the helicopter causing it to fall out of the sky potentially starting a blaze then I don't know what.

We need Captain Maxis to randomly save parts of the city, too!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I actually like the emergency shelters and radio broadcasting element of disasters. Unlike, say, the road cleaning/snow clearing stuff in snowfall where it was just arbitrarily giving you another building you have to build, setting up a broadcasting and shelter network will at least involve planning out traffic routes to those shelters, which plays into the part of the game with depth (the traffic system). It feels kind of pointless to save your citizens when population and income can grow so quickly, but maybe having lots of people die in horrible disasters will lead to a huge decrease in immigration in your cities and make saving people actually worthwhile.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to build a pristine utopia and then drop a nuke on it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

duffmensch posted:

We need Captain Maxis to randomly save parts of the city, too!

Only CAPTAIN HERO can save us now!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've read over the last few pages and I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling that this game lacked something. Hopefully they can improve it for a sequel or something.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The flipside though is that I started playing some tropico 5 this weekend and I really missed cities' level of traffic simulation. Now I have tasted the fruit of intersections and road hierarchies I can't go back anymore :(

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Considering picking this up, since I had a lot of fun loving around with city builders as a kid but haven't touched them in many years. My main question is how much the game's mechanics support unique or gimmick cities, e.g. if I want to make one of those terrifying pristine commuter towns / planned cities, will I be able to stamp out any trace of local industry and low-to-middle-income housing, or will I have to build something that's overall balanced and just rely on districting to create the Hank Scorpio assed parts of my city?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jenny Angel posted:

Considering picking this up, since I had a lot of fun loving around with city builders as a kid but haven't touched them in many years. My main question is how much the game's mechanics support unique or gimmick cities, e.g. if I want to make one of those terrifying pristine commuter towns / planned cities, will I be able to stamp out any trace of local industry and low-to-middle-income housing, or will I have to build something that's overall balanced and just rely on districting to create the Hank Scorpio assed parts of my city?

All your jobs and stuff has to be there on the map, but the map is really big once you've bought all the sections, especially if you use that mod that opens up all the tiles.

You can pretty easily get to a point where there are squeaky-clean suburbs where everybody commutes to an industrial hellscape located elsewhere. As for income levels, you'll mostly find that higher "level" -> bigger/nicer building, so just raise property values a lot. I don't think cims really have income brackets, but there are property values that correspond to the capacity/quality of a building.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can also go almost entirely office and have pretty much no industry if you want.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

All your jobs and stuff has to be there on the map, but the map is really big once you've bought all the sections, especially if you use that mod that opens up all the tiles.

You can pretty easily get to a point where there are squeaky-clean suburbs where everybody commutes to an industrial hellscape located elsewhere. As for income levels, you'll mostly find that higher "level" -> bigger/nicer building, so just raise property values a lot. I don't think cims really have income brackets, but there are property values that correspond to the capacity/quality of a building.

So it'd be about cranking up property values and creating lots of zones with demand for highly educated labor and none/few zones with demand for uneducated labor, got it

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Your city has a demand for industry, commercial and residential, and the game will also keep track of the education of all your citizens. Office buildings satisfy industrial demand just like factories do, but office buildings need high school and college graduates, which take a while to build up from scratch. So if you started a new city, you'd have to start off with some industry but once your education system gets going there's really nothing in the game to stop you from building a gross middle-class utopia by educating everyone and giving them office jobs.

Fair warning though, the city management doesn't have an awful lot of depth to it and the meat of the game is mostly about learning how to manage traffic.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So is there a good pack or normal buildings from the workshop I should subscribe to?

I want some variation in the homes and businesses and probably industrial buildings.

I'm on the snow map if it matters.

ColoradoCleric fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 1, 2016

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Agreed to Skylines is close but not quite there on The Definitive City-builder

Here's screenies of my current city tho

sad my up-res mod ceased to be supported several patches ago ;;

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 2, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man Musk posted:

Agreed to Skylines is close but not quite there on The Definitive City-builder

All it really needs to become definitive is true wealth/density separation, but I don't think it'd be doable to do that without creating an entirely new game.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

MikeJF posted:

All it really needs to become definitive is true wealth/density separation, but I don't think it'd be doable to do that without creating an entirely new game.

Ya, that's the observation I think is really spot on

It's just really baffling why both wealth and density would be on the same linear path like that

I guess it's still good fun since the last truly great city game was released like 15 years ago,

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man Musk posted:

It's just really baffling why both wealth and density would be on the same linear path like that

I think it was just a scope thing. Remember, when they got into this they were basically expanding on their experience with Cities in Motion and thought they'd be selling a fraction of the units they actually sold.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its also worth noting the bulk of the team's experience is in transit systems in general and not urban sociology and economics.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Well, ya. There's only 1 real lever in the game (get citizen from point A to B) and the only way it really progresses that challenge is thru density

some ideas to mix that up idk //

* make mass transit more engaging by having it be class-based (what modern metropolitan system _isn't_ characterised by class to some degree)

* some sort of region play, maybe with industry or tourism, to add a distance dimension to transit

* have a better system to make traffic flow more engaging than increasing lanes (which ultimately often does nothing since the AI is fine stacking behind a lane leaving others that go to the same place empty)

it just feels poorly designed, if mechanically fine and nice to look at

they need a better expansion strategy ~ ~ ~ ~

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I need a new computer regardless, but I am interested in finding one that can reliably run this and similar games. Am I barking up an expensive tree? Is this game worth playing?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Idiot Kicker posted:

I need a new computer regardless, but I am interested in finding one that can reliably run this and similar games. Am I barking up an expensive tree? Is this game worth playing?

Well I could play it just fine (on medium settings) on a laptop with a GeForce 525M, which is pretty low end nowadays.

And yes, it's pretty much one of the best city builders you can find.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

Well I could play it just fine (on medium settings) on a laptop with a GeForce 525M, which is pretty low end nowadays.

And yes, it's pretty much one of the best city builders you can find.

Good deal. I don't want to end up in some huge quagmire of sound cards and soldering, haha.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still haven't played since BP's metro overhaul mod was announced like 6 months ago or what ever. Apparently the hold up is mostly art.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Building my first city, I'm <6,000 people and already having traffic troubles where, uh... basically all my Industrial exports are going out via one single intersection with the highway. How can I encourage them to use alternate routes / make that intersection have a higher throughput? (Am I explaining this well enough? It's kinda hard to describe, beyond "the traffic in my city is fine, except for where it connects to the highway, which is bright red.")

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Building my first city, I'm <6,000 people and already having traffic troubles where, uh... basically all my Industrial exports are going out via one single intersection with the highway. How can I encourage them to use alternate routes / make that intersection have a higher throughput? (Am I explaining this well enough? It's kinda hard to describe, beyond "the traffic in my city is fine, except for where it connects to the highway, which is bright red.")

At 6,000:ish, I take it you have unlocked the ability to build actual highways and on-ramps? If so, now is the time you need to design your first highway on/off-ramp monstrosity with dedicated feeder lanes, cross-overs, and bypasses (for anything that doesn't actually need to use the highway). A lot of this is getting to terms with how the game handles forks in the road – which lanes are fed to where, and how traffic splits and merges between those lanes.

One thing you should probably experiment with is how you can split a 6-lane/2-way road into two bits of 3-lane highway, and how you can then split that highway into three different outgoing (or incoming) lanes for the three possible directions: left, straight ahead, and right, using single-lane ramps to direct the traffic to their destination. The other thing is to learn to space things out because a lot of this will require a fair amount of space unless you want to create a massive headache for yourself (and slow traffic due to sharp turns), and/or start overdosing on mods to bypass the restrictions on where pylons need to be placed.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
:eek:

So... all of the businesses around that current intersection... I'm guessing I should resign myself to bulldozing all those poor bastards?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yep.

Good news is, C:S has almost no penalty for bulldozing things. Just zone some more space somewhere else and people will move right over.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Also, if you suddenly find yourself in front of google maps, studying cloverleaf freeway designs, don't panic. You've just started playing C:S for real. :D

No, really — studying and copying real highway designs will help a lot. Not everything translates, doubly so since real road construction has to take cost and existing structures into consideration to a much larger extent and end up with some really odd solutions at times, but it's still good inspiration for what you should be going for.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tippis posted:

Also, if you suddenly find yourself in front of google maps, studying cloverleaf freeway designs, don't panic. You've just started playing C:S for real. :D

No, really — studying and copying real highway designs will help a lot. Not everything translates, doubly so since real road construction has to take cost and existing structures into consideration to a much larger extent and end up with some really odd solutions at times, but it's still good inspiration for what you should be going for.

I'm still trying to find a highway exit design I like. But I am lucky enough to interact with my favorite highway interchange on a fairly regular basis.

wheeeeee!

And I got to go through this fun sunken turbine a few times when I went up to Charlotte, that was fun. What a cool design. They really took advantage of the surrounding topography.

http://www.dbia.org/awards/Project%20Team%20Awards/Pages/I-485I-85-Turbine-Interchange.aspx

https://goo.gl/maps/BT8QBs1d3rt

hailthefish posted:

Yep.

Good news is, C:S has almost no penalty for bulldozing things. Just zone some more space somewhere else and people will move right over.

A Robert Moses' wet dream right there. Now there's a guy to study. A real douchebag sometimes, but drat it, he got poo poo done. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moses . Dude loved cars and parks, but hated humans.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 15, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hawt. :D

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Google pinavia interchange, build them everywhere because PRETTY.

Also, Helixed Highways because why not.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
hello my city building friends. i have come visit this thread to share a rural area of the city i am building in the hopes that you can help me Make Little rear end Great For The First Time

(click for zoom)

thanks to the magic of MSPaint i have color coded the roads so you can tell what they are (it's tough to see the lanes from that far up)

RED - interstate highway
ORANGE - local highway
BLUE (bold/thin) - major/minor local roads
GREEN (bold/thin) - major/minor industrial roads
YELLOW - public highway, private race track use (think Nürburgring)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't mean to shame and only to point out that it seems you have a lot of dicks in your asses.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any curated mod collections I should look at?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

A Robert Moses' wet dream right there. Now there's a guy to study. A real douchebag sometimes, but drat it, he got poo poo done. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moses . Dude loved cars and parks, but hated humans.

Here is a good article about how he in particular hated humans who were not white.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

zedprime posted:

I don't mean to shame and only to point out that it seems you have a lot of dicks in your asses.

haha i'm glad at least someone acknowledged the things i do when i get bored of making interchanges

then just imagine growing up on the rough streets then getting sent to Big rear end Regional High School

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Red Bones posted:

Here is a good article about how he in particular hated humans who were not white.

Yeah, like I said, a douchebag. But at least the bus service has gotten much better. I used it all around Nassau until I was 22, as I didn't feel like paying for a car. The bus took me right to the malls, college, the beach, and the train. The beach service to Jones was quite good, dropped you right in front of the concourse right at the water tower. Two bucks for a bus was better then six bucks for parking on busy days.

And that's why I make sure my Cims have good public transportation.

Gyshall posted:

Any curated mod collections I should look at?

Depends. What are you looking for?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, like I said, a douchebag. But at least the bus service has gotten much better. I used it all around Nassau until I was 22, as I didn't feel like paying for a car. The bus took me right to the malls, college, the beach, and the train. The beach service to Jones was quite good, dropped you right in front of the concourse right at the water tower. Two bucks for a bus was better then six bucks for parking on busy days.

And that's why I make sure my Cims have good public transportation.

Depends. What are you looking for?

Specifically, Quality of Life/UX improvements and adding more growables.