Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Railroad track makes (supposedly) an ok anvil, if you tip it vertical, stake it to a good log and put it over something stout. You're not going to get a lot of work area though. One thing to consider though, just because there's a bunch of poo poo on the ground at your local track yard doesn't mean it's free. Picking spikes off of the ground at tracks could be an awkward conversation with the railway police that ends in unfavorable outcomes.

e: pay attention to slung blade

Pimblor fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Yooper posted:

If you are where I think you are, head down to Coplans on Saturday morning and browse through the steel pile. You're likely to find a chunk of steel that meets your needs. You'll get it for scrap price which is some ridiculously low value right now. Just beware you might get an alloy of steel that you can't touch without carbide tooling.

Barring all of that PM me and I'll try and track you down a cut off.

You seem to know EXACTLY where I'm at :v:

I've been meaning to get over there for a steel drum too.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I've posted this about five times in this thread now, but if you're going to use rail for an anvil (don't. Do what Ambrose said.) then check the OP, there's a good example of the correct way to mount it for the best effect.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
A day later than I said, but this is what I was working on (dice bag for a table-top gamer):

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gray Stormy posted:

You seem to know EXACTLY where I'm at :v:

I've been meaning to get over there for a steel drum too.

If you need a "nicer" barrel let me know. I just got a shipment in that are European sizing with locking lids. They're cool looking barrels, at least as far as barrels go.

I lurk in TFR and saw you mention our area a few times before.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

armorer posted:

A day later than I said, but this is what I was working on (dice bag for a table-top gamer):

that's a hella swank dice bag, dang, good work

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Thanks! I ended up going over the blackened background with a fine point permanent marker to even out the color a bit. The gun blue did work though in general, and would have been fine for the thin line sections. The large open area was a bit less evenly black than I wanted though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When looking to buy an anvil, don't neglect Craigslist. They're out there. Lots of barn finds and anvils that have been used as yard decoration that have lots of surface rust and maybe some pitting, but if you can get one for two hundred bucks ish, it'll probably be fine as a starter anvil.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
I wouldn't go with a track anvil either if I didn't already have one(dad gave me mine when I was about 10). If you want one go find where they're doing work on the local railroad and ask is your best bet. You can bolt a foot or so across the end of a heavy bench and I find it useful for things like minor adjustments on sheet metal, straightening up short bits of scrap rod and other light work. Honestly it mostly just gets used to chock stuff against so it doesn't go off the end of the bench, and support the long end of things hanging out the vice.

They are handy for that sort of stuff so if you can get a chunk for free it might be worth it but otherwise just go to a scrapyard and buy a large chunk of steel.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
4 hours in to cleaning my bench so I can move my shop setup to my new job. 8 years of chips and tools is a lot of poo poo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What brand of welders do you guys prefer?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ones not made in china.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What brand of welders do you guys prefer?

Whichever kind you find in welding shops near you. Which means they are both high quality and serviceable.

For the US this typically means red or blue welders.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
For europe, kemppi, esab, fronius.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Hobart are made by Miller, just using lower quality parts. Any of the big three (Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart) will be good. Dealer support is pretty important, support your LWS and they'll usually reward you with discounts.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Brand doesn't matter as long as it was made before WW2. Those fuckers were built to last.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Respek for turning a cane into a socially-acceptable bludgeon, but if youve got a cane with a secret compartment and you don't actively use it to stash your weed and/or a bespoke contouring flask, you are loving up
Oh, it's still got that in the stick itself. The coarse-threaded pokey bit at the bottom of the handle had a cork on it when I got it, so there was probably a flask in there originally, I've replaced it with a stash box made from a bit of 1/2" copper pipe capped with .45-70 cases for now.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
lol excellent

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I wanna get some really compact sharpening/honing solutions to keep in my toolbox at school for fine-tuning lathe bits and mills and such. I think the smartest thing is to pick up some of that 3M adhesive-backed honing film- couple bucks per sheet to replace a whole bunch of expensive n bulky stones, sure, absolutely.
Question is, what's a good substrate to stick the film to? Glass would perform great but it'll get broken really fast in a toolbox. Wood's too soft and water will make it fucky, plastics -might- be fine but again they're soft. I think some pre-ground tool steel flats might be the best idea, I'm just concerned that they'll be prone to deforming if dropped unless they're thick enough that they're prohibitively-heavy to be dragging around all the time.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I wanna get some really compact sharpening/honing solutions to keep in my toolbox at school for fine-tuning lathe bits and mills and such. I think the smartest thing is to pick up some of that 3M adhesive-backed honing film- couple bucks per sheet to replace a whole bunch of expensive n bulky stones, sure, absolutely.
Question is, what's a good substrate to stick the film to? Glass would perform great but it'll get broken really fast in a toolbox. Wood's too soft and water will make it fucky, plastics -might- be fine but again they're soft. I think some pre-ground tool steel flats might be the best idea, I'm just concerned that they'll be prone to deforming if dropped unless they're thick enough that they're prohibitively-heavy to be dragging around all the time.

Superfinishing tape has tensile strength like whoa, get it in strip form and make a couple rollers to pull it tight dental floss style.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Thick polycarbonate should do you and not be too heavy or "soft"

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Yeah, Lexan is the way to go. I made a razor strop/hone with a bit of denim glued to the glass from an unused picture frame, that went poorly (i.e., it broke, but luckily the fabric glued to it kept the pieces together), v2.0 was on a bit of Lexan, it works great (except the melted-on handle broke off).

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Nice, my dad's been hoarding a 3/8" or so sheet of Lexan for years, I can deffo beg a 2" or so strip off the end to chop into individual plates.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i think i'm actually gonna grab a set of lil paddle diamond hones from Lee Valley (A-D), they're a lot better-suited for the tooling n cutter touch-ups I'd really be using them for, price is pretty good, and I can live with it being harder to sharpen knives with em in the tradeoff. Scary sharpening on lexan can wait.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I have a few sets of those. Decent things. I got mine from Busy Bee I think.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I love hearing about someone else's monumental fuckups. Two retired machinists came in today to set up our new (to us) shear and giant bandsaw. Someone tried unloading a big ol' CNC laser cutter by sliding it down a ramp into position. It tumbled. Then they tried flipping it over with a couple forklifts. It was apparently, uh.... unusuable.

I think AvE? got a bridgeport mill and slid it down a ramp to get it into place? I remember being uncomfortable watching that video. I can't imagine watching the couple hundred thousand dollar laser cutter tumble.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've slid small machines (bridgeport, surface grinder, OD grinder) off of forklift forks and even that felt sketchy. I couldn't imagine doing anything of any size.

We purchased a brand new grinder, had a massive forklift unload it, spent a week setting it up, leveling it, vibe damping all of the pads, basically making it a big beautiful cell. The sales rep, and the grinder rep both showed for the initial fire up. We hit the power. Boom. Blew the fuses on the rail. We put in new fuses. Boom blow those too. It was at that point we realized that the spindle was seized in the housing. It was the first of a very long string of terrible design discoveries. Had we been sharp we'd have had the forklift come back and load it onto another truck. After that I had to design and program a new CNC system, then the dressing system went to hell, then the angular slides seized up as there was no oiling, etc. etc. To top it all off the service and parts department is so terrible that I can't even get replacement parts for it. So now we machine them all ourselves, scrape them in, and hope the machine base doesn't crack.

Long story, short, if a machine costs 50% less than the cheapest competitor, run. Fast.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rotten Cookies posted:

I love hearing about someone else's monumental fuckups. Two retired machinists came in today to set up our new (to us) shear and giant bandsaw. Someone tried unloading a big ol' CNC laser cutter by sliding it down a ramp into position. It tumbled. Then they tried flipping it over with a couple forklifts. It was apparently, uh.... unusuable.

I think AvE? got a bridgeport mill and slid it down a ramp to get it into place? I remember being uncomfortable watching that video. I can't imagine watching the couple hundred thousand dollar laser cutter tumble.

Lol. Did it break the floor?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Rotten Cookies posted:

Everybody who works with big machinery i showed that AvE video to immediately started flop-sweating and unconsciously fiddling with their business cards looking for a rigger, it ruled

theres a point in the video where all you can hear is the I-beams he's sliding the thing on groaning from the strain and him stress-panting, its v disconcerting

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 16, 2016

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

We've got a broken machine that we use to train customers on machine service. The crane they were using to unload it from the truck tipped over since it didn't have enough counterweight. Half a million dollars goes tumbling down.

Let's just say there's a reason our customers sign off on the machines before they're unloaded, and are responsible for providing rigging.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm getting a reputation around the office as "that guy who fixes metal" which I'm kind of only half enthusiastic for.

Usually because it means getting jobs like this plant stand. I don't mind fixing stuff, but it kind of bothers me that anyone would want to save one of these *made in China by Filipino slave labour abominations that I paid twenty bucks for at the local greenhouse garage sale*.

I mean, look at this thing. 3/8 x 1/16(at best) strap iron, shittastical welds, and you can just see the misery of the poor person who assembled it. The top shelf broke because it's a cantilever with absolutely no support, and the paper thin weld bead finally rusted through the paint and snapped off. I ground it down, made a scroll to match the other ones on the other shelves as a support gusset and welded it back together. Guy was happy with it so I guess I did ok, but it feels wrong to prolong this thing's insufferable existence.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, did you charge a reasonable fee for your work? Or are you letting your co-workers scam a hundred bucks of labor off of you for free, which makes their desire to fix garbage metal objects more understandable.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Place I work rented a 70 ton Liebherr boom crane and operators for twelve hours just to unload a centerless grinder off the truck.

Also I hope somebody sends AvE a set of toe jacks for christmas those are the greatest thing ever

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 1, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, did you charge a reasonable fee for your work? Or are you letting your co-workers scam a hundred bucks of labor off of you for free, which makes their desire to fix garbage metal objects more understandable.

I charged him ten bucks for materials and supplies. The half an hour of time it took to fix would have cost triple the original purchase price, I assume.

So yes I am because I'm far too generous with my time.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

Place I work rented a 70 ton Liebherr boom crane and operators for twelve hours just to unload a centerless grinder off the truck.

Also I hope somebody sends AvE a set of toe jacks for christmas those are the greatest thing ever

Hello there fellow centerless grinder dude.

What kind of machine did you buy? It's rare I run into someone who knows what they are, let alone buys one.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
walking through the parking lot to start my shift and i realize i'm standing in a fuckton of coolant. interesting.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Yooper posted:

Hello there fellow centerless grinder dude.

What kind of machine did you buy? It's rare I run into someone who knows what they are, let alone buys one.

I'm an ex-lathe guy who somehow got turned into a controls electrician, they just put me on this to unwire the control cabinets on the two old rear end Cincinattis that had to move out of the way and osmose as much millwright knowledge as possible from the contractors. New baby is a Mikrosa M400, from what I've seen of the other one they already have it is a 95% uptime through-feeding 24/7 beast.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm an ex-lathe guy who somehow got turned into a controls electrician, they just put me on this to unwire the control cabinets on the two old rear end Cincinattis that had to move out of the way and osmose as much millwright knowledge as possible from the contractors. New baby is a Mikrosa M400, from what I've seen of the other one they already have it is a 95% uptime through-feeding 24/7 beast.

That's one hell of a Swiss machine. The only one nicer would be a custom Junkers. We run a fleet of cinci's that do nothing but infeed. We've never even attempted through-feed. Have fun with it!

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I have an old bench motor with a tapered Jacobs chuck mounted on it.
I want to remove the chuck so I can retrofit it to be a buffing machine.
What's the best way to remove a tapered chuck. I'm not sure where to find those taper removal wedges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ebay.ca has some for $20 or maybe you could grind down a tuning fork or something