Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Your elitism is showing

I think it's perfectly reasonable to opine about how moronic and uninformed most people are on an internet message board as long as you don't use it as a bedrock of political action. It's just true that people are moronic and uninformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Your elitism is showing

Maybe. I'm just being a smart-rear end. :shrug:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Monaghan posted:

Purely negative campaigns almost never work. They tried that in the midterms by saying how lovely the republicans are and vote democrats to keep them out and they got destroyed there to.

They do, just not for dems.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Your elitism is showing

You sure? I'd bet you a nickel there will be plenty of snap beneficiaries convinced obummer took their help.

It's not an entitlement program when you're an R voter, it's "help."

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LeeMajors posted:

They do, just not for dems.

Just because the Republicans promise nothing to you doesn't mean they're not promising anything.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Just because the Republicans promise nothing to you doesn't mean they're not promising anything.

Trump's campaign was insanely negative. As was W's against Kerry.

They work, but Dems have cultivated the kid gloves persona and are held to that standard at all times by the hypocritical right.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So Schumer really wan't challenged at all huh?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't just pull that example out of thin air either, CBS Sunday Morning went to COAL Country (God help them) and asked them who they voted for and why. One woman was a single mother (of like four!) who didn't vote.

I would never condescend in the real world and agree that we should try to understand, but for me the initial stage of understanding someone like her is scratching my head and making a sarcastic comment on an Internet forum.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've been seeing some people on social media talk about Joe Biden maybe being a pedophile? I pretty much block all "news" articles on Facebook, but does anyone know what the gently caress this is about?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

There was something offputting about how she'd be asked a foreign policy question during one debate and ended up answering about abortion rights instead of answering the question

or that time she responded to Donald Trump saying she was "playing the woman card" by saying "If I'm playing the woman card, then count me in" and selling "woman cards" on her campaign site

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This board really underrates how much her loss is about HER PERSONALLY and less about how the campaign was run or what issues she ran on or her messaging.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Clinton's campaign seemed very good at energizing and playing to her base but it seemed to ignore everyone else they assumed would just come out like with Obama.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

disjoe posted:

I didn't just pull that example out of thin air either, CBS Sunday Morning went to COAL Country (God help them) and asked them who they voted for and why. One woman was a single mother (of like four!) who didn't vote.

I would never condescend in the real world and agree that we should try to understand, but for me the initial stage of understanding someone like her is scratching my head and making a sarcastic comment on an Internet forum.

Did they say why she didn't vote? Did her $8/h job allow her to (Pokémon)go to the polls?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

sexism did not cost hillary the election

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

galenanorth posted:

There was something offputting about how she'd be asked a foreign policy question during one debate and ended up answering about abortion rights instead of answering the question

or that time she responded to Donald Trump saying she was "playing the woman card" by saying "If I'm playing the woman card, then count me in" and selling "woman cards" on her campaign site

Or calling Honest Abe Lincoln a two-faced political schemer lol

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

galenanorth posted:

You'll need to quote that, I remember her talking about Abortion rights when she was asked the loaded question about partial birth abortions. Not related to any of the Foreign Policy questions.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mcmagic posted:

This board really underrates how much her loss is about HER PERSONALLY and less about how the campaign was run or what issues she ran on or her messaging.

Mmmm, yes, speaking for myself it is underrated. I would have loved to see some loving fury erupt from our voters being backed by Clinton against the kinds of voters enthused for Trump on perceived ethnic cleansing promises. Never materialized.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

Mmmm, yes, speaking for myself it is underrated. I would have loved to see some loving fury erupt from our voters being backed by Clinton against the kinds of voters enthused for Trump on perceived ethnic cleansing promises. Never materialized.

Ah yes, now we're falling back on the everyone is racist argument.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Potato Salad posted:

You sure? I'd bet you a nickel there will be plenty of snap beneficiaries convinced obummer took their help.

It's not an entitlement program when you're an R voter, it's "help."

No doubt, but that wasn't what was described.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Potato Salad posted:

hillary directly avoided making anyone passionate about anything, so can you be surprised? also, she and the DNC establishment were so cocksure no-one ever really took trump seriously (hell, if her campaign did they wouldn't have positioned her to go against him in the general instead of a less dangerous GOPer like JEB!)

i wish people had taken trump a bit more seriously too though. at the very least we might've had a different, not quite as insane GOP politician in charge instead

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LeeMajors posted:

Trump's campaign was insanely negative. As was W's against Kerry.

They work, but Dems have cultivated the kid gloves persona and are held to that standard at all times by the hypocritical right.

PURELY negative campaigns don't work, negativity (done right) mostly just depresses the opposition's turnout it doesn't motivate people to vote for you - and both candidates did indeed get a low turnout, just in Trump's case not as low as more left-leaning coastal folks who didn't think economics was a big deal assumed. Have you already forgotten all of his insane grandiose promises? The wall, renegotiating with China, forcing Courier to bring all the jobs back?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 16, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crowsbeak posted:

The...part about Clinton's campaign being a wet noodle is racist?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crowsbeak posted:

And on a larger scale, this is about identity and rights. Race is a slice of the continuing struggle.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

PURELY negative campaigns don't work, negativity (done right) mostly just depresses the opposition's turnout it doesn't motivate people to vote for you - and both candidates did indeed get a low turnout. Have you already forgotten all of Trump's insane grandiose promises? The wall, renegotiating with China, forcing Courier to bring all the jobs back?

Keeping Medicare and Social security as is.

Potato Salad posted:

And on a larger scale, this is about identity and rights. Race is a slice of the continuing struggle.

Clinton didn't lose places Obama won because of racism.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Crowsbeak posted:

Keeping Medicare and Social security as is.

Trump did appeal to racists in ways Romney didn't.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

US POL December: International House of Hot Takes

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Did they say why she didn't vote? Did her $8/h job allow her to (Pokémon)go to the polls?

She's unemployed. She didn't vote because she didn't like either candidate and was really disgusted by the tone of both campaigns. Her words.

Honestly I suspect she's too busy raising her kids alone (iirc it was like four kids and they were all very young) and didn't vote because of that. If so she'd be too embarrassed/proud to admit that's the reason.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crowsbeak posted:

If you can't see the differences between the Mitt campaign and Trump's rallies, I can't help you. That, and I was not taking about outcome but messaging. You're reading into this only what you want.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

You seem really bent out of shape about this election, which is fine, but why not redirect that energy into something a little bit more productive?

If you don't want to see people like her nominated then get involved with the party. If you don't like what you're hearing from the Democrats get the gently caress in there and do what you can to guide it in a different direction. I mean do you want a pat on the back for pointing out that Clinton was a lovely candidate? Great job. Gold star. You sure are moving the needle by calling out Clinton supporters on the rear end end of the internet.

Meet up with your local party members and help figure out what you're going to do in the next 2-3 years to fix what you're identifying to be the problem.

http://asdc.democrats.org/state-parties/

I don't know how it is elsewhere but I'm finding that pretty much everyone in my local and state party is extremely open to new ideas and fresh blood. This is in Virginia and while we aren't a contested swing state in the presidential elections, we certainly are in state wide elections. They need help. They need to do some rebranding. I imagine other states are the same way right now.

Stop bitching. Go help.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

disjoe posted:

She's unemployed. She didn't vote because she didn't like either candidate and was really disgusted by the tone of both campaigns. Her words.

Honestly I suspect she's too busy raising her kids alone (iirc it was like four kids and they were all very young) and didn't vote because of that. If so she'd be too embarrassed/proud to admit that's the reason.

yeah, i can imagine why an unemployed single-mother of four might have more pressing concerns than voting

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

greatn posted:

Trump did appeal to racists in ways Romney didn't.

Romney was racist in the language of yacht-club millionaires at their whites-only country club, Trump's racist in the language of lower-middle-class salesmen yelling about Mexicans and Muslims at the bar. There's a lot more of the latter who vote, the kinds of people who find Clinton's technocratic credentials deeply moving are primed to overlook the former but not the latter, but neither boded well for the actual minorities at the business end of that rhetoric and the turnout for Trump vs. Romney reflected that.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

Isn't the idea of race effecting the campaign tied to our cultural problems as a whole and not directly linked to Clinton?

Anecdote time! Several of my friends are angry at Democrats for helping create the Black Lives Matter movement and their violent, senseless protests that are killing cops. If those drat blacks would just listen to authority and obey the law, they wouldn't get shot! And we didn't have these types of problems before Obama and the Democrats took power!

I had a long conversation with one of my friends about this and asked him if also hated George HW Bush for the '92 LA riots. We also discussed in detail the statistics about how violence against police has been dropping every year and how officers are now safer than ever but the public perception is the opposite because of the public narrative.

I don't know if I changed his mind by discussing facts (I doubt it), but that's the sentiment I see on race all over the place. Not Hillary per say, but Democratic "pussies" are blamed.

Edit: Is it "affecting" or "effecting" here? I don't know. :(
Edit2: I was directly called a pussy for voting democrat, so that's not a baseless aside.

Violator fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 16, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

I posted this in C-SPAM, but: can someone explain to me why free trade is a good thing? I keep hearing politicians harp on and on about it but it seems like something that's too abstract and disconnected to actually have much of an effect on people's lives. Why does everyone have such a boner for free trade?

from a purely economic standpoint, free trade (or, clasically, the free exercise of comparative advantage) makes those who engage in it better off over time because the market determines the most efficient use of resources and labor in meeting people's preference for goods. in reality you've got to temper this with regulations and taxation to help those who are hurt by free trade, which has often been insufficient to offset harm

also, many people (me included) see the 20th century american economy not as a steady growth of excess caused by unfettered capitalism, but as a great big fat stroke of luck. at the end of world war 2 the united states was the only industrial power which wasn't bombed to poo poo, had all of its young men killed or wounded, or some combination. so the long middle class boom of the 1950's was pretty much inevitable, and the same as winning the economic lottery, until the rest of the first world could get back on their feet. from this perspective there wasn't much the US could do in terms of trade or social policy to stop the decline, eventually we we were going to exhaust the lottery winnings, which in this case was a supremely advantageous economic position leading to high wages and robust social spending - so really the stagnation in wages since the 70's isn't so much a decline as it is a return to normal

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

On Terra Firma posted:

You seem really bent out of shape about this election, which is fine, but why not redirect that energy into something a little bit more productive?

If you don't want to see people like her nominated then get involved with the party. If you don't like what you're hearing from the Democrats get the gently caress in there and do what you can to guide it in a different direction. I mean do you want a pat on the back for pointing out that Clinton was a lovely candidate? Great job. Gold star. You sure are moving the needle by calling out Clinton supporters on the rear end end of the internet.

Meet up with your local party members and help figure out what you're going to do in the next 2-3 years to fix what you're identifying to be the problem.

http://asdc.democrats.org/state-parties/

I don't know how it is elsewhere but I'm finding that pretty much everyone in my local and state party is extremely open to new ideas and fresh blood. This is in Virginia and while we aren't a contested swing state in the presidential elections, we certainly are in state wide elections. They need help. They need to do some rebranding. I imagine other states are the same way right now.

Stop bitching. Go help.

i've already contacted my state dem party chairman advocating for keith ellison and I'm going to try and meet with someone in december with the okdems to see if i can contribute even though I live in france

i know you're trying to be helpful, but it's a little condescending that you think i haven't bothered to try to find out how i can stop this from happening again just cause i'm making GBS threads on hillary. i'll bitch and help out at the same time :)

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 16, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Schumer is replacing Reid. Welp just gently caress everything these goddamn idiots.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Hollismason posted:

Schumer is replacing Reid. Welp just gently caress everything these goddamn idiots.

hopefully he's learned his lesson considering he was backing keith ellison, but somehow i doubt it considering no-one's had the discussion yet on who should replace reid

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Condiv posted:

i sure hope so, or that we even have elections in 2020. was nearly having a panic attack again yesterday thinking about what a trump administration will be like, and i have to admit i even kinda wished the EC would go faithless to stop him and bring in clinton.

Mmm-hm

Condiv posted:

i threw my vote to gloria la riva :allears:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Here's the story on Schumer replacing Reid

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...eader/93934668/

Schumer is the worst.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Watching the left panic as their monopoly on information weakens due to the prevalence of social media is interesting. I can't count the amount of anti-facebook articles I've seen passed around this week. People I respect unironically advocating a private company to be the arbiter of people's access to the exchange of information and ideas. Scary stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i'm surprised it took one of you this long to try that :lol:

why do you think me voting for hillary in oklahoma would've shifted the election for her? oh, it couldn't have. so why should i vote for a candidate who doesn't align with me if my vote has 0% chance of helping her?

i guess the other hillary fans were just smarter than to try to shame me for voting third-party in one of the safest-red states

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 16, 2016

• Locked thread