Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Ish, and funny story: the more likely you were to try to water down the ACA to try to save your seat, the more likely you were to lose your seat to the right

I'm starting to think the American public is, on average, worryingly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

deep web creep posted:

"Globalists"/"World Bank(ers)" have been a far-right dogwhistle for Jews for basically loving forever and you've got your head in the sand if the rise of the alt-right hasn't popularized that take.

Congratulations on not having heard about it until now, I guess, but it is absolutely a thing in far-right circles, and now more and more in even moderate conservative groups

I mean the far right and the super libertarians (who are basically far right) I agree. But in mainstream American discourse or anything near it? No.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Before Trump, I would agree with you, but now that up is down and black is white, his star is on the rise.

This is true though. Trump's rise can influence a wave of anti-semitism as well as anti-anything.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Didn't a bunch of democrats lost their seats because they voted for ACA? If that's he case, I don't think it was possible to push it any further than Obama did.

The DNC lost a lot of seats because they didn't campaign.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/obama-clinton-campaign-work-231370

Obama suggests Clinton didn't work as hard as he did

quote:

President Barack Obama didn’t quite blame his ally Hillary Clinton for causing her stunning loss to Donald Trump last week — but he chided her for not focusing on reaching out to white, non-urban voters like he did in 2008 and 2012.

Obama — about to hand off the presidency to a man whom he declared temperamentally unfit to serve — pointedly declined to endorse Clinton’s own explanation for her defeat, instead suggesting that the former secretary of state’s failure to “show up everywhere,” not just the big diverse cities she targeted in her final campaign push, proved to be her downfall.

“How we organize politically I think is something that we should spend some time thinking about. I believe that we have better ideas, but I also believe that good ideas don’t matter if people don’t hear them,” Obama told reporters Monday ahead of a foreign trip to Greece, Germany and Peru. “And one of the issues the Democrats have to be clear on is, given population distribution across the country, we have to compete everywhere. We have to show up everywhere. We have to work at a grass-roots level, something that’s been a running thread in my career.”

Obama outperformed Clinton substantially in most suburbs and in critical swing areas in the Midwest, like Michigan’s Oakland and Macomb counties.

Of the nearly 700 counties that twice sent Obama to the White House, a stunning one-third flipped to support Trump, who also won 194 of the 207 counties that voted for Obama either in 2008 or 2012.

During a candid and bittersweet post-election news conference in the White House, Obama signaled to Democrats a need to emphasize a 50-state strategy, citing his success in Iowa as an outline of an effective campaign.

“You know, I won Iowa not because the demographics dictated that I would win Iowa. It was because I spent 87 days going to every small town and fair and fish fry and VFW hall, and there were some counties where I might have lost, but maybe I lost by 20 points instead of 50 points,” Obama said. “There are some counties maybe I won that people didn’t expect because people had a chance to see you and listen to you and get a sense of who you stood for and who you were fighting for.

The Democratic Party, which is looking to name a new chairman early next year ahead of the 2018 midterms and 2020 presidential election, must try to replicate that, added Obama, who described the party’s introspection as a “healthy thing” and advocated for “new voices and new ideas.”

“The challenge for a national party is how do you dig in there and create those kinds of structures so that people have a sense of what it is that you stand for,” Obama said, stressing the difficulty of doing so with just a national press strategy. “It’s increasingly difficult to do because of the splintering of the press. And so I think the discussions that have been taking place about how do you build more grass-roots organizing, how do you build up state parties and local parties and school board elections you’re paying attention to and state rep races and city council races, that all, I think, will contribute to stronger outcomes in the future. And I’m optimistic that will happen.”

The president conveyed that optimism by recalling how Democrats rebounded from a dismal showing in 2004, when John Kerry lost his White House bid and Democratic Senate leader Tom Daschle lost reelection.

“Things change pretty rapidly, but they don’t change inevitably,” Obama said. “They change because you work for it. Nobody said democracy’s supposed to be easy. It’s hard. And in a big country like this, it probably should be hard.”

In 2004, Obama and Colorado Sen. Ken Salazar “were the only two Democrats that won nationally,” he continued. “Republicans controlled the Senate and the House. And two years later, Democrats were winning back Congress. And four years later, I was president of the United States.”

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Clinton is like 70 and Obama was 45 in 2008. No way she could have went to every home Iowa. She put in as much work as she could--she collapsed on national TV.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Obama posted:

given population distribution across the country, we have to compete everywhere. We have to show up everywhere. We have to work at a grass-roots level, something that’s been a running thread in my career.”

L O L

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Kilroy posted:

Say you've got a room full of Trump voters, like having dinner or watching a football game or something. They're all white save for like one Hispanic or something who passes the paper bag test. One of them tells a racist joke, like a really bad one too. A couple people really laugh their asses off - they liked the joke and genuinely found it funny. A few more laugh politely, and a few others shift uncomfortably in their seats.

Everyone in this room is racist. The person telling the joke of course, and the people who truly laugh obviously, but also the people who normalize this behavior and refrain from calling it out for the bullshit it is.

But, while the latter two groups are racist, they are not irredeemable. They know what's happening is wrong, but they lack the courage to say anything. You can call that a moral failing, and it is, but it is one they can work on, and they're certainly not going to be the type to vote against racial justice purely for the spite of it. We can appeal to this people on economic terms and explain both why racial justice is right and good and also how it's not about pushing them down, but lifting others up.

As for the first two groups: gently caress them and everything they stand for. There is no use talking to such people.

Conservative America is full of the first two groups. Those who defend rural America all the loving time I think often delude themselves about how big the problem is. We are not going to win these people over if we're talking about affirmative action and gay marriage, even if the economic platform might otherwise appeal to them. They're way too far up Rush Limbaugh's rear end in a top hat for us to ever reach them. But, we don't need to.

:rolleyes:

Vladimir Putin posted:

Clinton is like 70 and Obama was 45 in 2008. No way she could have went to every home Iowa. She put in as much work as she could--she collapsed on national TV.

Almost as if she lacked the stamina to be president...

tsa fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 15, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

tsa posted:

Almost as if she lacked the stamina to be president...

To be fair, anyone trying to get through a pneumonia would have done the same.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Clinton is like 70

So is Trump.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

So is Trump.

Trump knew which states he needed to win; they were the more or less only ones he could have won. Hilary, with both a higher popular vote and misleading polls, had more targets, and a lot more should-win-but-could-loses. She would have needed to put in three times the workload to have had the same effect.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Clever attempt, but you're not tricking me into watching The Young Turks. I'm too smart for that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Clever attempt, but you're not tricking me into watching The Young Turks. I'm too smart for that.

TYT is still superior to MSNBC, CNN, and pretty much anything else. They've been right on the money during the entire election season and how it would play out and why.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Hillary put way too much into Ohio and NC and was running for a blowout.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/12/the-advertising-decisions-that-helped-doom-hillary-clinton/

"The Clinton camp, meanwhile, was playing for a blowout. They aired almost 3,000 ads in Arizona, 3,600 in Iowa and nearly 10,000 in Ohio. They were hoping for a landslide-case scenario of 375 electoral votes."

Almost zero in VA, WI, and MI. They blew it, although it seems like they may have known PA was a problem.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
Was this Eichenwald article posted yet? This is the first I've seen that hints at the Republican oppo file on Bernie.

http://www.newsweek.com/myths-cost-democrats-presidential-election-521044

quote:

Here are a few tastes of what was in store for Sanders, straight out of the Republican playbook: He thinks rape is A-OK. In 1972, when he was 31, Sanders wrote a fictitious essay in which he described a woman enjoying being raped by three men. Yes, there is an explanation for it—a long, complicated one, just like the one that would make clear why the Clinton emails story was nonsense. And we all know how well that worked out.

Then there’s the fact that Sanders was on unemployment until his mid-30s, and that he stole electricity from a neighbor after failing to pay his bills, and that he co-sponsored a bill to ship Vermont’s nuclear waste to a poor Hispanic community in Texas, where it could be dumped. You can just see the words “environmental racist” on Republican billboards. And if you can’t, I already did. They were in the Republican opposition research book as a proposal on how to frame the nuclear waste issue.

Also on the list: Sanders violated campaign finance laws, criticized Clinton for supporting the 1994 crime bill that he voted for, and he voted against the Amber Alert system. His pitch for universal health care would have been used against him too, since it was tried in his home state of Vermont and collapsed due to excessive costs. Worst of all, the Republicans also had video of Sanders at a 1985 rally thrown by the leftist Sandinista government in Nicaragua where half a million people chanted, “Here, there, everywhere/the Yankee will die,’’ while President Daniel Ortega condemned “state terrorism” by America. Sanders said, on camera, supporting the Sandinistas was “patriotic.”

The Republicans had at least four other damning Sanders videos (I don’t know what they showed), and the opposition research folder was almost 2-feet thick. (The section calling him a communist with connections to Castro alone would have cost him Florida.) In other words, the belief that Sanders would have walked into the White House based on polls taken before anyone really attacked him is a delusion built on a scaffolding of political ignorance.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Obama's "majority in Congress" included a large number of blue dogs barely less conservative than the GOP itself, including at least one straight-up turncoat. He didn't have the free hand to reinvent everything that people seem to assume.

Not that I think he was a secret radical, but even if he didn't try to play ball for longer than he should have his ability to make huge changes to everything in America forever was really limited, to put it mildly.

I'd like to poke at this further. So Obama comes into office knowing that we're in for a massive shitstorm of a recession and he has a non-filibuster proof majority in Congress. Are you saying that the recovery package we got was as good as could have ever happened and that the economic malaise that followed was inevitable?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The oppo file on Trump worked super well.

Maybe all that stuff would have shafted Bernie, we'll never know. However Clinton had literally two decades of effort going into making her an unappealing candidate. Throwing that poo poo at Bernie last minute may or may not have stuck and it's clear from Trump that people are willing to overlook egregious stuff if they agree with the message.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

kaynorr posted:

I'd like to poke at this further. So Obama comes into office knowing that we're in for a massive shitstorm of a recession and he has a non-filibuster proof majority in Congress. Are you saying that the recovery package we got was as good as could have ever happened and that the economic malaise that followed was inevitable?

I dont know about that, but I'm skeptical he could ram through something orders of magnitude bigger than he did like some think. The GOP was purely obstructive all along and the blue dogs made Hillary look like Bernie so I'm pessimistic.

Basically I think he could have done somewhat better if he was more aggressive early on, but that the HISTORIC CHANCE OF RADICAL CHANGE talk is unrealistic because his majority was full of almost-Republicans who all got wiped out at the next mid terms.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Radish posted:

The oppo file on Trump worked super well.

Maybe all that stuff would have shafted Bernie, we'll never know. However Clinton had literally two decades of effort going into making her an unappealing candidate. Throwing that poo poo at Bernie last minute may or may not have stuck and it's clear from Trump that people are willing to overlook egregious stuff if they agree with the message.

I disagree with this assessment. I don't think that people overlooked all the poo poo on Trump because they agreed with him, I think it was for two other reasons:

1) There was just so much of it that it was impossible to ever really focus on any one thing, while with Clinton everyone knew about "the emails" because it was the only goddamn thing anyone would ever say about her. I have no doubt that if the Republicans had found an attack on Bernie that stuck, they'd have harped on it nonstop and made sure it stayed in the news for as long as possible.
2) Trump himself didn't really engage with most of it, which ties in with 1 because it meant that his scandals didn't stay in the public eye for long. When he did actually engage with a scandal (the Khans, Alicia Machado), it hit his poll numbers hard. Trump had the personality to just blow past most oppo like that, while Clinton and Sanders did not.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Vladimir Putin posted:

Didn't a bunch of democrats lost their seats because they voted for ACA?

It was because they were a bunch of republicans who liked racism and big business but didn't hate women or [insert here] enough. Their actual base hated them, as slowly did the other side after ACA.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah, the blue dog Democrats basically died because their constituencies decided why vote for a diet Republican when you can just vote for a Republican? Essentially they were late adopters for the realignment between Democrats and Republicans that happened after 1964 - Democrats by the standards of 40+ years earlier who finally fell off the party's rear end like a dried out Dixiecrat dingleberry.

It's kind of like how Rockefeller Republicans basically died out or just became moderate Democrats when they finally realized the GOP had gone hambananas.

e: The blue dogs also tried to run by distancing themselves from Obama while he was still really popular, which worked about as well as you'd expect.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 15, 2016

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
FYI Kurt Eichenwald is a massive idiot and that "GOP oppo book" is just a summary of information widely reported on the internet throughout the primary season.

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/795662034520199169

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Bernie wrote some peak sexual revolution fan fiction 45 years ago about sexual agency or whatever. Donald Trump was recorded saying he could grab a woman by the pussy if he wanted and that was practically yesterday. Voters don't give a poo poo, they just want someone they think will work for them.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

punk rebel ecks posted:

The DNC lost a lot of seats because they didn't campaign.
Partly. Obama campaigned on progressive causes to a great degree and was elected with a pretty clear mandate to do a lot of that stuff. He capitulated on most of it embarrassingly quickly. But yeah, for whatever reason after the success of the fifty-state strategy in 2006 and 2008, the Democratic elite stabbed Howard Dean in the back, elected Tim Kaine as chair, and proceeded to go whole hog with "let's schmooze with Wall St and focus on keeping our jobs". And now Donald Trump is President.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So which one are you? A laugher? I suspect you're a laugher.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kilroy posted:

Partly. Obama campaigned on progressive causes to a great degree and was elected with a pretty clear mandate to do a lot of that stuff. He capitulated on most of it embarrassingly quickly. But yeah, for whatever reason after the success of the fifty-state strategy in 2006 and 2008, the Democratic elite stabbed Howard Dean in the back, elected Tim Kaine as chair, and proceeded to go whole hog with "let's schmooze with Wall St and focus on keeping our jobs". And now Donald Trump is President.

Why did they stab Howard Dean in the back?

Also where did this "keep our jobs" rhetoric come from? I haven't seen this, obvious, argument brought up before. Was it in a lot of leaked emails?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why did they stab Howard Dean in the back?

Also where did this "keep our jobs" rhetoric come from? I haven't seen this, obvious, argument brought up before. Was it in a lot of leaked emails?
They turned the DNC into an organization dedicated to keeping Democratic incumbents in office and let grassroots organizing wither on the vine. And they did it just at a time when the GOP was absorbing the Democratic successes in 2006 and 2008, and trying to replicate them. The Tea Party movement is the result of that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kilroy posted:

They turned the DNC into an organization dedicated to keeping Democratic incumbents in office and let grassroots organizing wither on the vine. And they did it just at a time when the GOP was absorbing the Democratic successes in 2006 and 2008, and trying to replicate them. The Tea Party movement is the result of that.

I see. That does make sense. Any confirmation of this besides common sense? I'm hungry to read more on this, which is why I'm so curious.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. That does make sense. Any confirmation of this besides common sense? I'm hungry to read more on this, which is why I'm so curious.
I don't know about Tim Kaine's tenure especially, but under Schultz it shouldn't be hard for you to find confirmation of this. It's something even top Democrats were saying for years before the email thing finally got her thrown out on her rear end. It's hard to understate just how bad that woman was for the party.

As for the Republicans trying to replicate that success, no I don't know that they actually went out and specifically tried to do what Howard Dean did except with people who listen to Rush Limbaugh, but whether on purpose or through dumb luck that's what happened.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Having said that, I shouldn't scapegoat DWS too much. She is poo poo, but Democrats voted for her.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

this is it, all the way to the tee, he nails it perfectly

this is the most concise, succinct, accurate, and insightful analysis of what happened, and anyone who has read this guy was already predicting what happened ahead of time, which is all the proof you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JZmwQAZmak

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kilroy posted:

I don't know about Tim Kaine's tenure especially, but under Schultz it shouldn't be hard for you to find confirmation of this. It's something even top Democrats were saying for years before the email thing finally got her thrown out on her rear end. It's hard to understate just how bad that woman was for the party.

As for the Republicans trying to replicate that success, no I don't know that they actually went out and specifically tried to do what Howard Dean did except with people who listen to Rush Limbaugh, but whether on purpose or through dumb luck that's what happened.

I see. I also recall hearing how Tim Kaine only agreed to step down if he was vice president during Hillary's inevitable presidential run.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

punk rebel ecks posted:

TYT is still superior to MSNBC, CNN, and pretty much anything else. They've been right on the money during the entire election season and how it would play out and why.

TYT can be just another echo chamber. I remember Cenk was fawning over Lessig at one point. As I mentioned in the other election thread, read left economic blogs like Reich and Nakedcap. They're more apt to using examine issues more from an objective point of view with a slight left slant. Learning and examining why polices have failed the working class going to help you make the case to other liberal skeptics who are still in denial about Obama and Hillary.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CheeseSpawn posted:

TYT can be just another echo chamber. I remember Cenk was fawning over Lessig at one point. As I mentioned in the other election thread, read left economic blogs like Reich and Nakedcap. They're more apt to using examine issues more from an objective point of view with a slight left slant. Learning and examining why polices have failed the working class going to help you make the case to other liberal skeptics who are still in denial about Obama and Hillary.

Oh of course. My main source of information of why I support left leaning policies is my own research of the results of left wing policies. I just watch stuff like TYT as an easy digest of the political landscape.

They are an echo chamber, just one that happens to be closer to reality mostly due to the ideology they subscribed to.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Typical Pubbie posted:

Bernie wrote some peak sexual revolution fan fiction 45 years ago about sexual agency or whatever. Donald Trump was recorded saying he could grab a woman by the pussy if he wanted and that was practically yesterday. Voters don't give a poo poo, they just want someone they think will work for them.

That's really all it is. Voters don't give a gently caress about purity anymore, it's all WIIFM now, what's in it for me, as it should be.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, a week has finally passed and we probably get a better idea now about a few questions that were still a bit unclear to me:

What was the minority and demographic breakdown like? Got a lot of kneejerk reports that women and minorities voted evenly between trump and Hillary.

Additionally, there's also a tale of Trump winning with less votes than Romney got 4 years ago. Is it true?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mans posted:

So, a week has finally passed and we probably get a better idea now about a few questions that were still a bit unclear to me:

What was the minority and demographic breakdown like? Got a lot of kneejerk reports that women and minorities voted evenly between trump and Hillary.

Additionally, there's also a tale of Trump winning with less votes than Romney got 4 years ago. Is it true?
Trump won all demographics bigly.

(From what I can tell, he outperformed McCain and Romney with minorities, while Hillary underperformed compared to Obama. This goes for women too.)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

FYI Kurt Eichenwald is a massive idiot and that "GOP oppo book" is just a summary of information widely reported on the internet throughout the primary season.

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/795662034520199169

kurt IT guy must have never worked an actual day of IT in his life, 650k is well within (and quite low in my experence) the realm of possibility to be stored on a laptop.

Especially if the users of e-mail were curmudgeon old people who CONSTANTLY REPLAY ALL to ALL e-mails AND they store the copies locally.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

incoherent posted:

kurt IT guy must have never worked an actual day of IT in his life, 650k is well within (and quite low in my experence) the realm of possibility to be stored on a laptop.

Especially if the users of e-mail were curmudgeon old people who CONSTANTLY REPLAY ALL to ALL e-mails AND they store the copies locally.

Kurt probably just asked the question poorly

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I disagree with this assessment. I don't think that people overlooked all the poo poo on Trump because they agreed with him, I think it was for two other reasons:

1) There was just so much of it that it was impossible to ever really focus on any one thing, while with Clinton everyone knew about "the emails" because it was the only goddamn thing anyone would ever say about her. I have no doubt that if the Republicans had found an attack on Bernie that stuck, they'd have harped on it nonstop and made sure it stayed in the news for as long as possible.
2) Trump himself didn't really engage with most of it, which ties in with 1 because it meant that his scandals didn't stay in the public eye for long. When he did actually engage with a scandal (the Khans, Alicia Machado), it hit his poll numbers hard. Trump had the personality to just blow past most oppo like that, while Clinton and Sanders did not.

I suspect part of it is that Trump was seen as the non-establishment candidate, so him being bashed by the establishment media constantly may well have helped play into that rhetoric.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

MikeCrotch posted:

I suspect part of it is that Trump was seen as the non-establishment candidate, so him being bashed by the establishment media constantly may well have helped play into that rhetoric.

What do you do when criticism is evidence of bias? There's no way to break that cycle. Either you withhold criticism and legitimize what he says, or you criticize and legitimize what he says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mans posted:

It looked that way, but a lot of votes got counted really late because our elections are disorganized garbage. It ended up virtually identical.

The tally now looks like this:

T 61,251,881 C 62,413,443

R 60,933,504 O 65,915,795

Trump gained like 318,000 votes over Romney 2012. Clinton ended up 3.5 million behind Obama 2012.

e: fixed dumb math mistake.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 16, 2016

• Locked thread