Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

BrownClown posted:

This is very true, and right now the Dem's are in such a lovely position that they can't afford infighting. Hence...

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/798915483735048197

It seems like there's somewhat of a message here that everyone is going to do what they do best to get this poo poo train moving in the right direction. You need Schumers to get rich people buy-in to fund campaigns and you need the progressives to get people to moving and to show up to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Battle Royale Baby posted:

Where does the party go in a presidential election where their candidate is already coming out of this with a million more votes than her opponent in growing? Hopefully, not too far. And, anyone purposefully trying advocate for some huge shift is likely someone trying to re-fight a primary they couldn’t win because their guy could not attract the diverse coalition that is the Democratic Party. If they try this coup, it’ll be beaten back, again.

Trump was a unique candidate who managed to rearrange things just enough to win a unique election. The worst thing Dems could do is overreact to this. The GOP still needs to soul search and figure out why they allowed this. If we need to do anything it’s make sure we’re turning out our base better, which has ALWAYS been a problem with Democrats.

No, we are not going to hang ourselves for not doing enough to attract racist white people with illegitimate persecution complexes. The biggest lie anyone could tell is that this was about legitimate economic anxiety. And, for people who don’t live here this stereotyping of the “Rustbelt” as some economic hellscape is ridiculous when you look at the recovery since the recession. What these voters wanted to hear was a racist, xenophobic appeal, and that is not something we could offer or ever desire to offer them.

It’s not about the economy, stupid. It’s about a group of people who routinely prize their privilege above ALL else. Period. We don’t get those voters. We don’t want to get those voters. We turn out our base and we don’t even have to worry about this.

Yes, those states that voted twice for a black man named Hussein but not Clinton surely did so entirely due to racism. There's no other possibility such as they feel abandoned and scorned by a political class that has thrown them to the wolves in the name of globalism and corporate profits.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm totally OK with a dude who knows Senate rules like the back of his hand running the Democratic opposition at this point. We're going to need to pull every loving obscure rule and trick out of the closet to even pose as a speed bump to Republicans at this point. I want to see Schumer super-gluing pennies to the goddamn floor and pulling out the script to the mothballed Home Alone TV series for prank ideas.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

AngryBooch posted:

I'm totally OK with a dude who knows Senate rules like the back of his hand running the Democratic opposition at this point. We're going to need to pull every loving obscure rule and trick out of the closet to even pose as a speed bump to Republicans at this point. I want to see Schumer super-gluing pennies to the goddamn floor and pulling out the script to the mothballed Home Alone TV series for prank ideas.

You know who was good at that?

Harry Reid :smith:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

quote:

the blow-up that caused the postponement of leadership elections from this Thursday to Nov. 30 – a decision made at the end of a tumultuous, two-hour meeting – is really about young lawmakers who are frustrated by a seniority system that limits their influence, African Americans who don’t feel like they have enough sway over Pelosi’s strategy and members from the heartland who feel that the dominance of coastal elites in the caucus has made it harder for them to connect with their constituents

For years now, there has been a problematic lack of upward mobility for younger Democrats. Consider:

The top three Democrats in leadership are 76 (Pelosi), 77 (Steny Hoyer) and 76 (Jim Clyburn). The top three Republican leaders, in contrast, are 46 (Paul Ryan), 51 (Kevin McCarthy) and 51 (Steve Scalise)

“There is broad angst in the Democratic caucus,” said Rep. Richard Neal (D-Mass.), speaking of no one in particular. “To stick with the same message over four bad election cycles is a mistake. I think part of it is that the messengers have to change.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...daily202&wpmm=1

More at the link. I'm actually surprised the WaPo is doing decent reporting about the democrat's civil war. They were the #1 democrat establishment paper during the elections. They loving loved Hillary.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LegionAreI posted:

Holy Christ those comments.

"Hey guys maybe identity politics isn't the first thing most people think about when they vote, so maybe we should incorporate economic values and think about workers more too."

"Pfft now you want us to listen to WHITE MEN exclusively, now you're the racist!"

How do these people even manage to dress themselves in the morning?

Honestly, this is an example of a very pervasive and subtle form of liberal racism. It's important for liberals to virtue signal (flying the transgender flag in front of GS headquarters, celebrating women being the CEOs of large corporations, etc.) but they don't want economic change because they are racist and they don't want to pay a single dime more in taxes or goods to support universal healthcare, or a higher minimum wage.

It makes sense. Why do Hillary-style liberals think economic justice is racism? Because they hate minorities and want them to stay in their place. In America, money is power - thus it makes sense that urban, effete Hillary supporters want to make sure blacks and Latinos stay poor. Hillary supporters love it when minorities can't pay their healthcare premiums - almost as much as they love watching them bag their groceries for a poverty wage.

They ignore poll data that SCREAMS "Blacks wants jobs. Blacks want money. Blacks want financial security." in favor of an paternal, white ideology that favors "diversity" (aka, more diversity on corporate boards) over what actually has historically lifted people up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Radbot posted:

Honestly, this is an example of a very pervasive and subtle form of liberal racism. It's important for liberals to virtue signal (flying the transgender flag in front of GS headquarters, celebrating women being the CEOs of large corporations, etc.) but they don't want economic change because they are racist and they don't want to pay a single dime more in taxes or goods to support universal healthcare, or a higher minimum wage.

It makes sense. Why do Hillary-style liberals think economic justice is racism? Because they hate minorities and want them to stay in their place. In America, money is power - thus it makes sense that urban, effete Hillary supporters want to make sure blacks and Latinos stay poor.

They ignore poll data that SCREAMS "Blacks wants jobs. Blacks want money. Blacks want financial security." in favor of an paternal, white ideology that favors "diversity" (aka, more diversity on corporate boards) over what actually has historically lifted people up.

I'm laughing at this irl and also loading up my browser

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

logikv9 posted:

I'm laughing at this irl and also loading up my browser

Why am I not surprised that your ilk laughs at liberal racism? Keep perpetuating it.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I'm also okay with Schumer. He's done alright for New York in Democratic terms, and while he might be establishment to the absolute core he also hates losing. His endorsement of Ellison shows he knows what's up and where the wind blows, and he's got connections out the butt that can be leveraged. His job is to stop Republican bullshit, while Ellison, Bernie and company can rebuild the party.

If Reid wasn't retiring I'd say the same thing about him, but maybe he'll do stuff behind the scenes. Schumer and friends are the shield wall. Let's just hope they can hold it. :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gringostar posted:

Schumer not being a colossal shithead is easily the surprise of the year for me

yes i'm including what happened last week in that

Schumer is, at his core, a jellyfish who's main goal is party success. He fully sees what way the wind is blowing and wants to get in nice and early on the 'hey guys we should listen to this Bernie guy this go around' trolly.

Which, hey, I got no problem with. That's probably a good omen for how things will shake out if he's one of the voices backing Sanders' side.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

ahh hell lets give him another chance, whadda you say? Hes been doing a pretty good job so far with the dems

Lol if you think Schumer is worried about anything.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Radbot posted:

Why am I not surprised that your ilk laughs at liberal racism? Keep perpetuating it.

lol you were like one of the few actual bernie-or-bust people who unironically went for trump. go away

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lots of angry dudes posting. reminder that you guys are the worst, and at organization meetings everyone hates when you talk

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

alright guys, now I want to hear from you, what are you thinking we can do about this election
*that one really angry guy that makes everyone uncomfortable raises his hand and everyone sighs*

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I’m just mad as hell to see Bernie bros. cynically losing this lost to try to once again steer us to their hopeless utopia. I’m not about that life. No, we are not going to back of the bus because you desire most of what Trump does only you desire it from the left. Take that poo poo and walk. It ain’t right and it sure as hell ain’t progressive.

lol

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is a pervasive and subtle liberal racism. But it mainly takes the form of downplaying conservative minorities, calling Ben Carson a token or saying somebody would only be a Republican because of internalized racism/misogyny/homophobia/etc.

Not that thing Radbot said

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i don't think radbot is necessarily wrong but he frames it in such a way that everyone immediately tunes out because christ

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Radbot posted:

It makes sense. Why do Hillary-style liberals think economic justice is racism? Because they hate minorities and want them to stay in their place. In America, money is power - thus it makes sense that urban, effete Hillary supporters want to make sure blacks and Latinos stay poor. Hillary supporters love it when minorities can't pay their healthcare premiums - almost as much as they love watching them bag their groceries for a poverty wage.

It was funny to me how hot this take was, but honestly I think we need hot takes like this to balance out the "free public college is dogwhistle racism that cost Yaas Queen the election" hot takes. Best defense is a good offense etc

We can't afford a hot-take gap

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Karl Barks posted:

alright guys, now I want to hear from you, what are you thinking we can do about this election
*that one really angry guy that makes everyone uncomfortable raises his hand and everyone sighs*

lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Radbot posted:

Sir....

Sir..

SIR!

ThisisaMcDonald'sDriveThruWindow. *catches breath* Jeezy kareezy...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Radbot posted:

THAT'S A SPICY MEATBALL

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Where does the party go in a presidential election where their candidate is already coming out of this with a million more votes than her opponent in growing? Hopefully, not too far. And, anyone purposefully trying advocate for some huge shift is likely someone trying to re-fight a primary they couldn’t win because their guy could not attract the diverse coalition that is the Democratic Party. If they try this coup, it’ll be beaten back, again.

Says the person defending a party that has managed to lose the Senate, House, Presidency, Supreme Court, most governerships, and most state congresses.

quote:

Trump was a unique candidate who managed to rearrange things just enough to win a unique election. The worst thing Dems could do is overreact to this. The GOP still needs to soul search and figure out why they allowed this.

This person says, about a Republican candidate who got roughly the same amount of votes as previous Republican candidates, while criticisizing the party that won everything and is now in control at basically all levels, telling them they need to figure out why they "allowed" that to happen.

quote:

If we need to do anything it’s make sure we’re turning out our base better, which has ALWAYS been a problem with Democrats
[...]
We turn out our base and we don’t even have to worry about this.

This person says while desperately fighting against making the major changes we need to make in order to turn out our base, especially the enormous chunk of our base the party has turned it's back on and holds in contempt when it's not actively trying to undermine them.

This is a funny post.

(I'm assuming this was one of those Jezebel comments or something?)

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Nov 16, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

or saying somebody would only be a Republican because of internalized racism/misogyny/homophobia/etc.

This doesn't only work for being a Republican, you can immediately silence any minority who disagrees with or otherwise contradicts you in any way with this tactic. It's p ironic.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Guy Goodbody posted:

Remember when Clinton tweeted "delete your account"

That was great

Remember when Clinton was pitched as the serious candidate who knew how to win elections, and idiots like me believed that?

:cry:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

There is a pervasive and subtle liberal racism. But it mainly takes the form of downplaying conservative minorities, calling Ben Carson a token or saying somebody would only be a Republican because of internalized racism/misogyny/homophobia/etc.

Not that thing Radbot said

There is also a bigotry against poor whites. The third way liberals very much believe that to fight for both social issues and economic issues is impossible. Because poor whites are racist troglydites who want to lynch blacks and burn gays.It is this thought process that leads to workers issues being ignored.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

LegionAreI posted:

I'm also okay with Schumer. He's done alright for New York in Democratic terms, and while he might be establishment to the absolute core he also hates losing. His endorsement of Ellison shows he knows what's up and where the wind blows, and he's got connections out the butt that can be leveraged. His job is to stop Republican bullshit, while Ellison, Bernie and company can rebuild the party.

If Reid wasn't retiring I'd say the same thing about him, but maybe he'll do stuff behind the scenes. Schumer and friends are the shield wall. Let's just hope they can hold it. :(

This is pretty much how I feel about things.

Schumer may not be the guy I want on the front lines fighting the fight, but he's not taking that role. He knows what's going on and was smart enough to immediately shut up and fall in line with Sanders/Warren/Ellison.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
im a big dumb idiot why is free college racist

is it just that it would serve white people more than under-served minorities?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LegionAreI posted:

I'm also okay with Schumer. He's done alright for New York in Democratic terms, and while he might be establishment to the absolute core he also hates losing.

:agreed:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When Democrats mockingly say that Republicans think Ben Carson is "one of the good ones," the Democrats are actually revealing that they think he's "one of the bad ones"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

enraged_camel posted:

Just like those who think social issues are just a distraction are socially privileged.

No one thinks this though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

This person says while desperately fighting against making the major changes we need to make in order to turn out our base, especially the enormous chunk of our base the party has turned it's back on and holds in contempt when it's not actively trying to undermine them.

This is a funny post.

I think the core of this problem as exemplified by the post you quoted is that at some point poor white people stopped being part of "our base" despite that they're not really the GOP's base either

They hear "we need to appeal to the rural poor" and think that means we want to win over Trump voters, not that we want to inspire all the hosed-over struggling people out there who stayed home this cycle because we were ignoring them completely. IE, we need to turn out our base. The fact that they're white doesn't make them not our base somehow.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Scent of Worf posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...daily202&wpmm=1

More at the link. I'm actually surprised the WaPo is doing decent reporting about the democrat's civil war. They were the #1 democrat establishment paper during the elections. They loving loved Hillary.

also you aren't a true progressive unless you have someone from the WaPo editorial board blocking you on twitter for criticisizing their favoritism one too many times (gently caress you Capehart)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enraged_camel posted:

Pro tip: the only people who don't think elections are about the economy are those who are economically privileged. And that's usually people living on the coasts.

Just like those who think social issues are just a distraction are socially privileged.

I'm not socially privileged but I think economic problems are more important than social ones. Because one affects a handful of backwards old deputies being dickheads to me for being Mexican, but the other affects my friends, family, neighbors and community across all social divides

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mrmcd posted:

Remember when Clinton was pitched as the serious candidate who knew how to win elections, and idiots like me believed that?

:cry:

You and me both. I've done a lot of reflecting over the last week and I've eaten many many slices of humble pie.

I think it's important to check our egos at the door. If you're like me, you got caught up in the train of thought that figured "I don't like Hillary as much as Bernie, but Hillary can win and Bernie probably can't." I was a massive HillBot. I was one of the ones, like many others around here, that got mad at the Bernie supporters at the Dem's Convention that kept starting poo poo and booing. I was a Bernie supporter through the primaries, but then moved on to Hillary immediately when she had the delegates.

As I reflect, I feel like I've betrayed my own ideals.

I've had to accept the fact that I was wrong. Not only was I wrong, I was pompous about it. I was part of the problem.

If you're like me, it sucks and feels lovely to go through this revelation, but I hope it's made me a better person and stronger political advocate for change.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

unwantedplatypus posted:

I've never seen a political campaign use identity politics as a bludgeon quite like Hillary's. I stopped paying attention to the election after the New York primary, but it was insane for Bernie supporters to be painted as young prejudiced white guys when that couldn't be further from the truth. He pulled ahead with the youth in nearly all demographics. He had advantage with the Native American and Arab demographics Not to mention winning one of the only minority majority states in the union.. Most of all, his policies and rhetoric were fairly inclusive of minority issues.

People can tell when you're bullshitting them, and much of the rhetoric coming from the Hillary campaign came across as insincere and mostly for political gain. Democrats have to be honest and sincere with the American people going forward

Yeah perceived insincerity was a major problem for Democrats, especially because it was underlied by a lot of actual insincerity. Not that it also wasn't a problem for Republicans that made them unable to stop Trump's nomination. Going forward, we need more realness.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

bump_fn posted:

It's not and I'm not going to attempt to understand the twisted logic that people had when they were calling Bernie's policies and his supporters racist.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

bump_fn posted:

the best I can guess is that since majority-minority primary schools already heavily underperform and most of their students already don't even graduate high school it wouldn't do them much good

which, like, that's also something that needs to be fixed, but it's much harder. free college is easy and the standard in much of the world

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Mordiceius posted:

You and me both. I've done a lot of reflecting over the last week and I've eaten many many slices of humble pie.

I think it's important to check our egos at the door. If you're like me, you got caught up in the train of thought that figured "I don't like Hillary as much as Bernie, but Hillary can win and Bernie probably can't." I was a massive HillBot. I was one of the ones, like many others around here, that got mad at the Bernie supporters at the Dem's Convention that kept starting poo poo and booing. I was a Bernie supporter through the primaries, but then moved on to Hillary immediately when she had the delegates.

As I reflect, I feel like I've betrayed my own ideals.

I've had to accept the fact that I was wrong. Not only was I wrong, I was pompous about it. I was part of the problem.

If you're like me, it sucks and feels lovely to go through this revelation, but I hope it's made me a better person and stronger political advocate for change.

could be worse

you would have permabanned yourself after taking that position

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I’m just mad as hell to see Bernie bros. cynically losing this lost to try to once again steer us to their hopeless utopia. I’m not about that life. No, we are not going to back of the bus because you desire most of what Trump does only you desire it from the left. Take that poo poo and walk. It ain’t right and it sure as hell ain’t progressive.

I'm having a hard time parsing your English, but if my understanding is correct you may need to eat poo poo and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

bump_fn posted:

Free college definitely serves POC less than white people because of underfunded public schools and the resultant lower graduation rates. Even respected universities that try real hard to recruit POC then have real issues with actually graduating them for various reasons.

The ideal thing would be to just improve both public education and make college free and more accessible, but why do that when you can do neither?

• Locked thread