Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It'd be cool to have someone apply for a job in the Trump administration so we could have a mole inside that tells us everything that's occurring in that cesspool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
You can run on any platform you want if people like you and you'll win.

I hope the Democrats run some charming motherfucker on a good platform, but the key to winning is the charming motherfucker part.

Like, if Obama's 60+% approval came from policy at all, then Clinton was openly the continuation of that, and her platform was totally in line with that, so she should have coasted.

Instead her approval going into the election from Gallup was...

wait for it...

40%

America just personally hates her guts and thinks Obama is a cool dude.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Covok posted:

How can it only be a week from the election and the administration is already wracked with in-fighting and Trump is being forced to move across the aisle and beg Democrats for recommendations of which Republicans to hire?

I suspect reports of infighting are overblown. Given there is a fascist reactionary voter's dream team of picks so far, I don't see any reason as of yet to think there will be much contention over moderate or leftist picks by virtue of there being few to none. We will see in a few months.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mustached Demon posted:

By the way, SNAP's the single greatest ROI of any government expenditure.

*waggle hand* I know which analysis you're referring to but I'd say a few other things beat it (lead paint and piping replacement!).

General point is correct though and I'd love to see a sort of General Minimum Snap if we can't get a minimum income.

Edit: also I sent in an application for the Trump administration yesterday through their very, very stupid website. :v: I think my favorite part was "some jobs may require Senate confirmation, like ambassadorships".

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/asnoel/status/796240238406410240

:laugh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Nice to see that the scum at AIPAC and Sheldon Adelson are out there with oppo dumps against Keith Ellison.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

disjoe posted:

She's unemployed. She didn't vote because she didn't like either candidate and was really disgusted by the tone of both campaigns. Her words.

Honestly I suspect she's too busy raising her kids alone (iirc it was like four kids and they were all very young) and didn't vote because of that. If so she'd be too embarrassed/proud to admit that's the reason.

Uh yea. Why the hell would we ever loom down on someone like this jfc

She has to monitor 4 children at all times. She's probably been abused as well.

America is truly hosed until we can figure out how we can convincingly help people like this out.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Mahoning posted:

Why shouldn't they? The NY Times and Fox News get to decide what is fit for public consumption.....why shouldn't a for-profit do whatever the gently caress they want with regards to information on THEIR website?

But they choose not to. Hmmmm

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah this is why I wonder if America might end up with a Sulla.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

:yikes:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

There are going to be disappointed. The President in the head of the armed forces.

mcmagic posted:

Nice to see that the scum at AIPAC and Sheldon Adelson are out there with oppo dumps against Keith Ellison.

Source?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yea. I'm pretty sure.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

mcmagic posted:

AIPAC seems predictably strangely silent on Steve Bannon.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Do these generals understand what the meaning of commander in chief means

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Can you blame them?

Trump: So it's time to take the fight to ISIS, we're gonna invade Turkey!
General: Turkey?
Trump: Yeah, Putin told me that's where they are. Secret ISIS he said.
General: You remember how you withdrew from NATO and then called the Israeli PM a "kike"?
Trump: So?
General: Yeah, well seeing as we have no refueling stations in Europe or the middle east anymore, and we're down to the third wave of the draft after we invaded Iran and Iraq at the same time, I'm not sure how it's going to happen.
Trump: We still got nukes?
General: *reaches for katana*

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

accidental double post.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Covok posted:

There are going to be disappointed. The President in the head of the armed forces.

Source?

https://thinkprogress.org/the-growing-smear-campaign-against-keith-ellison-233e16fab864

greatn posted:

AIPAC seems predictably strangely silent on Steve Bannon.

Right Wing Jews (there aren't many of them and they are probably the worst group of people in america) hate progressive jews MUCH more than the KKK and white supremacists.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I give it three days till NYT wonks are reprinting their 2011 bits about how historically the military is the great bastion of Egypt's democracy and the coup is a victory for the people but with the country name swapped

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

It'd be cool to have someone apply for a job in the Trump administration so we could have a mole inside that tells us everything that's occurring in that cesspool

Trump has proposed having hires sign non disclosure agreements.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Covok posted:

How can it only be a week from the election and the administration is already wracked with in-fighting and Trump is being forced to move across the aisle and beg Democrats for recommendations of which Republicans to hire?

What? Is Trump asking Democrats which Republicans to appoint?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shifty Pony posted:

There are a whole bunch of reasons but one of the fundamental reasons is that trade lets things be done where people are the "best" and most efficient at doing them so people get the best quality for the lowest prices. Growing vegetables in upstate NY during December is possible but growing asparagus in Peru and shipping it is cheaper and results in better tasting product. The best mines for an ore are most likely nowhere near where the best foundries are located or where the most skilled machinists live so instead of trying to run a foundry where electricity is expensive and then have a lovely product made by someone who doesn't entirely know what they are doing (and is slowed down by having to wait for other materials), it is much better to have the mine ship the ore to the foundry located next to cheap hydro power, which then ships the metal to the machinists who make the highest quality thing in the shortest time.

And on average that is pretty much how it works out. The major problem is that the returns are not spread evenly. The saved money goes into price decreases for the end users and returns on capital investment for investors, and not to those people who now find themselves jobless because the local mineral deposit was of lower purity than one in Argentina. Even if you did attempt to help (we effectively don't), money gets reallocated must easier and faster than you could ever hope to retrain or move the people who it leaves behind.

Whoops we destroyed the planet for all future generations but at least we made our stock holders really rich :downs:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Mustached Demon posted:

By the way, SNAP's the single greatest ROI of any government expenditure.

I'm not sure how this fails to resonate with the right, given their obsession with fiscal efficiency.

How can people be so loving obsessed with who deserves what that they'll shoot themselves in the foot by cutting the most beneficial public services, just to make sure that someone who doesn't 'deserve help' won't get it?

I mean, never mind the nettle patch of trying to determine who deserves something....

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Whoops we destroyed the planet for all future generations but at least we made our stock holders really rich :downs:

the invisible hand of the free market will lift us out of the oceans

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Right Wing Jews (there aren't many of them and they are probably the worst group of people in america) hate progressive jews MUCH more than the KKK and white supremacists.

It's almost like politics trumps ethnicity sometimes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/AP/status/798929829596987392

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Well technically orders can be refused if the order giver is ordering something illegal or is clearly out of his mind.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

zxqv8 posted:

the nettle patch of trying to determine who deserves something....

I'll take "The Left" for 400 Alex

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

On the hilariously off chance he's actually convicted I can already guarantee Trump's first pardon.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

703 posted:

Signed up to get info in VA and all I got was an email saying "let's send Tim Kane a virtual thank you card w/ your name on it!" and "please donate money". Great.

One of the best ways to get involved is to attend meetings of your local Democratic Club. Or, if you don't have local clubs in Virginia you can contact your county-level Democratic Party and they should have local meetings once a month. This represents the bottom rung of the party system and is (in my opinion) the best way to meet people who can point you in the right direction. The state parties I've found tend to be larger and more impersonal.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

zxqv8 posted:

I'm not sure how this fails to resonate with the right, given their obsession with fiscal efficiency.

How can people be so loving obsessed with who deserves what that they'll shoot themselves in the foot by cutting the most beneficial public services, just to make sure that someone who doesn't 'deserve help' won't get it?

I mean, never mind the nettle patch of trying to determine who deserves something....

They aren't particularly concerned with efficiency, they're obsessed with 'waste', which is a radically different thing. It doesn't matter if you're super efficient about doing something they don't care about; and the most aggressive budget-slasher still within the GOP's overton window is still totally cool with the F-22.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the invisible hand of the free market will lift us out of the oceans

The invisible hand of the markets is what powers evolution. Having been boxed out of the ocean markets by voracious predators, the mutant land whales moved onto the shores to find new opportunities and tap new innovative market disruptors.

zxqv8 posted:

lol fiscal efficiency. The right wing in the US doesn't care about fiscal efficiency, they care about dismantling the social safety net.

For the regular humans that want to dismantle it because of "fraud" it's for the same reason they want to beat up someone that pretended to be poor to get $5 from them: they feel tricked. That's it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

deathbysnusnu posted:

On the hilariously off chance he's actually convicted I can already guarantee Trump's first pardon.

Presidential Pardons cannot be used for these types of convictions. It can only be used when someone breaks federal law. You can't be pardoned by the President for violating state laws.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mcmagic posted:

https://thinkprogress.org/the-growing-smear-campaign-against-keith-ellison-233e16fab864

Well, we were expecting this, really.

We will see how it plays out.

In the worst case scenario, Trump repealing the ACA and medicare will lead to all his supporters dying of disease and poor medical coverage in 4 years so we'll win by default.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Hollismason posted:

Presidential Pardons cannot be used for these types of convictions. It can only be used when someone breaks federal law. You can't be pardoned by the President for violating state laws.

I checked with the AG. He said it was constitutional, the most constitutional. He's been pardoned, ok! Bigly!

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Uh, I'm not sure if this is a funny anecdote or the early stages of a coup d'etat.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hollismason posted:

yeah but the Trump Administration is going to run on Wile E. Coyote physics and he doesn't know that

Covok
May 27, 2013

Squinty posted:

Uh, I'm not sure if this is a funny anecdote or the early stages of a coup d'etat.

A funny anecdoate, hopefully.

Otherwise, all my doom saying will be true and we will be under a military dictatorship.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Squinty posted:

As much as I am seriously entertaining whether military dictatorship might be preferable to Trump, it wouldn't happen for the same reason the coup in Turkey failed. The generals may be anti Trump, but everyone who would actually pick up a rifle is MAGA full stop.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Squinty posted:

That's fine we proven we can't handle making choices, the military can't do any worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

but it's the other guy who's a fascist we swear

• Locked thread