Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

It's not really quantifiable in the terms that you are seeking. The device is just a flat out joy to use. I've pretty much stopped using my tablets (including Pixel C) because the experience doesn't click as well.

I can't say "It does x better. It launches z program faster." It just gets out of the way and works.

This. It's hard to describe. You just do things and they just happen. I didn't think my Note 7 was slow by any means, but the Pixel XL is still better in use, somehow. Everything's faster, smoother, and it's just enough to be noticeable everywhere. It feels like how a smartphone should, and everything else feels like it's pretending. This sort of thing must be why people use iPhones, if the experience is similar at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
My Pixel XL was quite hot during/after the initial setup and data migration (65GB approx) but hasn't been so much as warm since.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google shipped my Daydream last Thursday without any kind of tracking. When asked, support told me it's because I chose "saver shipping". I pointed out that there are no shipping options for the UK but that I'm glad to hear they cheaped out on shipping for my £70 device! I have to wait another two days, apparently, because that's the delivery estimate according to Google. What mysterious mail service are they using that takes a week to turn up? Muppets.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Femur posted:

What's the budget phone of choice nowadays? the Moto g4? I am currently back on my Moto X(2013) and it's noticeably slower than the nexus 6 I was using. I've been researching today, and it seem kinda deciding on a g4 play, or maybe a good deal on a used Nexus 6p.

I would buy the Pixel, but I really like the concept of bezel-less phones that are suppose to come out next year, so I want to hold out paying for a flagship until those come out.

I'm not sure about the G4 Play since it's a lower specced phone but I have the regular G4 and really like it. Big screen, good battery, and hasn't slowed down on me at all doing the usual phone things.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Okay my phone cooled off after a while last night and has been behaving pretty well tonight. I just came over from iOS after a year. Had the Nexus 6 and Xperia Z3C up until a iPhone SE and 6S+. Some initial Pixel impressions:

- Android still feels all over the place in terms of UI. The back and menu buttons range from burger or settings buttons in the top right to slide out menus on the left side.

- The keyboard feels miles away from how responsive the iOS keyboard is. I am adjusting to a smaller screen but I feel like it's not registering a lot of my touches or I'm mistyping. Being able to swipe to type is great though, I've definitely missed that.

- The phone gets warm at some weird times. This morning I was just watching a youtube video and felt it get warm. I've got small hands so it's not like I'm hugging the thing.

- Left my phone unplugged overnight and it lost 0% which is incredible. Hoping standby time stays as impressive as that. I will mention that usage time I was able to watch the battery % dwindle on its own, but I'll reserve the verdict of that for later once my usage goes to more normal day to day stuff.

- The camera is beautiful and video is great as well. I don't think I'll do too much 4K stuff but even the 1080p video I shot looked great, EIS works super well too but at times looks kind of weird with how it compensates.

I'm excited to use this phone more. It's super good looking and having Quick Charge is great, picked up an extra charger and bunch of Anker cables to keep as backups.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to prevent Android from wiping all of my notifications when my phone reboots?

I keep all the Google Keep notifications in my notification area and I don't get rid of them until they are complete. However, if my battery dies or my phone needs to be rebooted or something, all my notifications are gone. Is there any way to prevent that (aside from not letting my battery die or rebooting)?

This is kind of a difficult thing to search the internet for, so I I can't find other people online having a resolution.

Thanks!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

Okay my phone cooled off after a while last night and has been behaving pretty well tonight. I just came over from iOS after a year. Had the Nexus 6 and Xperia Z3C up until a iPhone SE and 6S+. Some initial Pixel impressions:

- Android still feels all over the place in terms of UI. The back and menu buttons range from burger or settings buttons in the top right to slide out menus on the left side.

- The keyboard feels miles away from how responsive the iOS keyboard is. I am adjusting to a smaller screen but I feel like it's not registering a lot of my touches or I'm mistyping. Being able to swipe to type is great though, I've definitely missed that.

- The phone gets warm at some weird times. This morning I was just watching a youtube video and felt it get warm. I've got small hands so it's not like I'm hugging the thing.

- Left my phone unplugged overnight and it lost 0% which is incredible. Hoping standby time stays as impressive as that. I will mention that usage time I was able to watch the battery % dwindle on its own, but I'll reserve the verdict of that for later once my usage goes to more normal day to day stuff.

- The camera is beautiful and video is great as well. I don't think I'll do too much 4K stuff but even the 1080p video I shot looked great, EIS works super well too but at times looks kind of weird with how it compensates.

I'm excited to use this phone more. It's super good looking and having Quick Charge is great, picked up an extra charger and bunch of Anker cables to keep as backups.

For keyboard, I have been a fan of Flesky for ages now as even though it doesn't do conventional swipe, it does use swipe motions to do backspace, space, and punctuation/word corrections. Once you get the hang of it it is really fast and hard to go back to a normal keyboard once using it.

Also all the Android Heating up talk post Android N when not gaming can partially be the way the device no longer does the whole compiling of all the installed apps at first boot or app install anymore, now it does it when it is sleeping while plugged in or when the app is first run which might make the phone heat up upon first use (compiling all the main apps that make up android) and when sleeping for some people. YouTube shouldn't be getting warm so thats an oddity.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EdEddnEddy posted:

For keyboard, I have been a fan of Flesky for ages now as even though it doesn't do conventional swipe, it does use swipe motions to do backspace, space, and punctuation/word corrections. Once you get the hang of it it is really fast and hard to go back to a normal keyboard once using it.

Also all the Android Heating up talk post Android N when not gaming can partially be the way the device no longer does the whole compiling of all the installed apps at first boot or app install anymore, now it does it when it is sleeping while plugged in or when the app is first run which might make the phone heat up upon first use (compiling all the main apps that make up android) and when sleeping for some people. YouTube shouldn't be getting warm so thats an oddity.

Is Fleksy the one that has the invisible keyboard?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

As far as keyboards go when transitioning from iOS, I ended up disabling haptics and opting instead for sound. The haptic feedback never seemed in sync with what my fingers were actually doing (which, either it's imperceptible to most or it's psychosomatic, one more likely than the other), but I don't have the same issue with the audio response.
But also yes, iOS still has the best feeling keyboard and also the worst autocorrect in human history.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

But also yes, iOS still has the best feeling keyboard

Disagree, I had to use an iOS device for a month at work and I found it was so inferior to the Google Keyboard on Android it wasn't even close. It all comes down to preference, there's no "best".

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Funny, the default keyboard for the Google Pixel is one of the reasons I heavily considered switching to it from iOS :v: Different strokes, I guess.

Speaking of which, the Pixel I ordered a week ago suddenly change to shipped. Should be here by monday :toot: I'll have to check out that Flesky keyboard though, looking at the store page it looks really nifty. The concept of being able to customize even your keyboard is super weird and new to me as an iOS user.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just a warning on Fleksy, everything points to it having being abandoned

I still use it myself and love it, but it might just stop working one day after a major OS update

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is Fleksy the one that has the invisible keyboard?

It has the option, yes.

Also Abandoned? It hasn't been updated since April so I wonder what the heck happened. It still works fine on 7.0 on my Nexus, but haven't tested it on 7.1 yet. It still works fine for me currently.

Their site is practically dead so I wonder what happened. :( Going back to normal keyboards is like learning how to type all over again.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

As far as keyboards go when transitioning from iOS, I ended up disabling haptics and opting instead for sound. The haptic feedback never seemed in sync with what my fingers were actually doing (which, either it's imperceptible to most or it's psychosomatic, one more likely than the other), but I don't have the same issue with the audio response.
But also yes, iOS still has the best feeling keyboard and also the worst autocorrect in human history.

This is pretty much my opinion as well, and has been for a few years now. There is just something off with Android's responsiveness when it comes to typing that iOS just nails.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Google Keyboard fails to recognise 'you're', 'we're' and other contractions as autocorrect suggestions; however 'ain't' is A-OK. Yes I could put them in the user dictionary, but what the hell.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

spincube posted:

Google Keyboard fails to recognise 'you're', 'we're' and other contractions as autocorrect suggestions; however 'ain't' is A-OK. Yes I could put them in the user dictionary, but what the hell.

Check your localization settings. Is it set to "en-US-southern"?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

spincube posted:

It definitely does for me.

As for the Google Keyboard vs iOS I think it depends on which one you've used more. I do find that switching on key borders helps for some reason (although it doesn't actually change the touch targets I feel like it's easier to hit the right key)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Today I learned there are actually people who don't use Swiftkey

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

spincube posted:

Uhhh mine definitely does. I can post a screenshot if you don't believe me!!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Syrinxx posted:

It seems like basically the same thing as Google's keyboard

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

spincube posted:

SwiftKey chooses the wrong we're vs were constantly. Like every time I type it out, it chooses whether to add the apostrophe incorrectly.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Syrinxx posted:

I think people who use Swiftkey are a holdover from when the stock keyboard was trash? I've never felt a need to try out a different keyboard.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

They both feel good to type on but I find SwiftKeys predictions/autocorrect to be better.

I don't expect that to stay that way given how good Google is at machine learning.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Yeah, I used to use Swype/Swiftkey, but why bother now when the stock keyboard, after some getting used to is as good, or close to it. One fewer thing to janitor.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

spincube posted:

Does for me.

Syrinxx posted:

I used to use swiftkey. Then the default keyboard got better so I use it now.

I used fleksy briefly, but only for a few days before it annoyed me enough to go back to swiftkey.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

RZA Encryption posted:

Check your localization settings. Is it set to "en-US-southern"?

...currently set to en-GB/'use system settings' everywhere I can see. Screenshot: (excuse the Twilight filter, counting down 'til Night Mode)

Hitting [space] leaves it as 'Youre', instead of correcting to 'You're'.

[e] comedy Ain't example, for comparison:

Google make my brain stupid :downs:

spincube fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 16, 2016

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Syrinxx posted:

Yeah if anyone hasn't tried Swiftkey recently give it a shot again. They added neural network text prediction a few months back and it's incredible.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Today I had the auto-rotate feature break on my Nexus 6p. Followed the threads advice and hit it against my desk. Voila, auto-rotate works again. Thanks thread!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

Today I had the auto-rotate feature break on my Nexus 6p. Followed the threads advice and hit it against my desk. Voila, auto-rotate works again. Thanks thread!

I am surprised you didn't suck it or blow it first.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I wanted to share a pretty picture from my s7 edge. :shobon:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

I think people who use Swiftkey are a holdover from when the stock keyboard was trash? I've never felt a need to try out a different keyboard.

Definitely.

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, I used to use Swype/Swiftkey, but why bother now when the stock keyboard, after some getting used to is as good, or close to it. One fewer thing to janitor.

At this point, little things like the punctuation being in different spots (and being able to long press on any letter to use 26 symbols without going to a second screen) and being able to resize the keyboard to be smaller add up to me not wanting to switch.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Kii keyboard is back in the playstore.

Swiftkey and Swype always seemed funky compared to Kii's speed and customizations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also Abandoned? It hasn't been updated since April so I wonder what the heck happened. It still works fine on 7.0 on my Nexus, but haven't tested it on 7.1 yet. It still works fine for me currently.

Their site is practically dead so I wonder what happened. :( Going back to normal keyboards is like learning how to type all over again.
They were acquired by Pinterest in June and are supposed to open source "some components" of Fleksy at some point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

I wanted to share a pretty picture from my s7 edge. :shobon:

Very nice, here is a night photo from my Pixel XL

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Anyone use 8Pen? I was obsessed with it before I got a smartphone, and when I finally got one, I was too old for that poo poo.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Very nice, here is a night photo from my Pixel XL

:monocle:

Is that auto or manual? That's insanely sharp and clear for a night shot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It would have to be auto. Manual isn't as good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

:monocle:

Is that auto or manual? That's insanely sharp and clear for a night shot.

Auto, HDR+ set to on. The only editing I did was cropping the sides, the buildings off to each side of the legislature aren't very attractive in this framing.

This is the British Columbia Parliament building in Victoria Canada btw

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Pixel XL camera really is something, when you consider that it's retaining that much image definition despite the horrifying tire cover being lit up by my headlights and should by all means be washed out beyond all recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been using Nexus phones for 3 years now and I still haven't gotten used to the default keyboard. It's the one thing I still prefer with iOS.