Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Come to think, would it be worth it to spend the mythril to draw on the Keeper's Choice 1 set to guarantee access to Ramza's Grand Armor? It seems like putting in Exdeath and Ramza has helped me to improve on my hone quantity, and thus at this point all I'm really missing is a medica. For reference, I swapped them in for Fran/Red XIII, and besides needing to give Mako Might to Exdeath instead of Gordon my setup was doing relatively well aside from the several AoEs that Grand Cross can't block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What are the top tier BSB's that we have access to? I have Wakka, Fang and Butz. Haven't used Butz's much yet but Wakka is great for the breakdowns and I've never not had Fang's up since the initial attack causes Imperil:Wind. I know Cecil, Zidane and Greg are up there, any others to hope for?

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

drat this ultimate +++ is actually kinda tough, wish i would have drew for some good black magic weapons now

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Off the top of my head, the top 5, no particular order, are Vaan, Firion, Ashe, Maria and Eiko.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I feel like asking what the top end of Bursts is sort of like asking what the best pie is.

Sure, you can make legitimate arguments for some pies being better than others, and overall some pies are more popular, but they're all so good.

I guess Tiny Bee is your mincemeat pie or something, by that logic. Maybe plain custard?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

tiny bee would be the whipped cream pies clowns toss at each other, at no point intended for actual consumption

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Tiny Bee is actually perfectly fine if you're not comparing it to true healing BSBs or to second/third generation DPS BSBs. Comparing it to other very early BSBs shows that it's unexciting but fine. It lets you run Yuna as a pure summoner on a mage team, stretching out her hones and letting her help a little (emphasis on little) with healing if things get really rough.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
didnt have much problems with Leviathan, but he is a big dum dum poopy head

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Zurai posted:

Tiny Bee is actually perfectly fine if you're not comparing it to true healing BSBs or to second/third generation DPS BSBs. Comparing it to other very early BSBs shows that it's unexciting but fine. It lets you run Yuna as a pure summoner on a mage team, stretching out her hones and letting her help a little (emphasis on little) with healing if things get really rough.

Put it another way; It's Magitek Missile strapped to a 20% Mag buff, a self Haste, and the ability to spam 8/9ths power two hit Meteors that won't trigger basically any Counter effects ever. On a magic gun, which isn't really the best magic gear.

I mean, if you're comparing it to SSBs, it still looks really good.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What are the top tier BSB's that we have access to? I have Wakka, Fang and Butz. Haven't used Butz's much yet but Wakka is great for the breakdowns and I've never not had Fang's up since the initial attack causes Imperil:Wind. I know Cecil, Zidane and Greg are up there, any others to hope for?

Right now I would list the top BSBs as something like: Vaan, Firion, Maria, Ashe, Eiko, Vanille, and Celes. Others like Tyro and Faris have the potential to be really great too.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I rejiggered things in my party, and for the most part this group is capable of weathering Necrophobe's damage output during phase 2. The problem, however, is that I failed the DPS race and ended up in phase 3 with perhaps 50K HP still left to be dealt. What should I then try doing to improve things in this regard? One thought I had was to shelve the party for now, give Ramza my Platinum Shield and both copies of Banishing Strike, farm up a few RMs (such as Holy Might, Secrets of the Qu, or One-Eyed General), and strip off the KO-resist gear in favor of more stat buffs.

Edit: Or I could find a place to sub in Basch for his corresponding Apocalypse Shield buff.

KnoxZone posted:

Right now I would list the top BSBs as something like: Vaan, Firion, Maria, Ashe, Eiko, Vanille, and Celes. Others like Tyro and Faris have the potential to be really great too.
Don't forget Serah.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 16, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Serah's is "standard en-element mage BSB".

Those are all pretty good, and there's only a few in Global right now, but Serah's still isn't any better(or for that matter, worse) than Vivi's.

Though it is more noticeable just because no one likes Mote Ifrit.

The reason Ashe and Maria get mentions is because Ashe's straight up does more damage than normal(and self-heals on top of that), while Maria's self-buffs mag and, with enough magic, does more damage than normal for one of those.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Considering Nightmare Guardian is an awful, terrible design trainwreck of a battle what does a Shove That Gimmick Up Its Mouth setup look like with no Reunion?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Another thing with Ashe's is that her BSB relic is a +Lightning armor, so if you're willing to take the bulk hit and slight magic hit out of realm (which you probably should, given that she can self-heal) it adds even more power to her BSB.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah, I sorta skimmed that(because value of relic as a package with the Burst is somewhat of a subjective thing), but Vivi's staff is +fire.

So Proof of Existance tends to get hype due to being a one stop shop for burning wreckage. You can even get +fire gear 100% of the time out of Keeper 2 for a double strengthen.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SageAcrin posted:

Yeah, I sorta skimmed that(because value of relic as a package with the Burst is somewhat of a subjective thing), but Vivi's staff is +fire.

So Proof of Existance tends to get hype due to being a one stop shop for burning wreckage. You can even get +fire gear 100% of the time out of Keeper 2 for a double strengthen.

You lose significantly more magic by using an out of realm weapon than an out of realm armor, though.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

NGDBSS posted:

Come to think, would it be worth it to spend the mythril to draw on the Keeper's Choice 1 set to guarantee access to Ramza's Grand Armor? It seems like putting in Exdeath and Ramza has helped me to improve on my hone quantity, and thus at this point all I'm really missing is a medica.

Tailwind is percentage based, I think, so it's a decent stopgap if you don't have a stronger medica. It's handy mostly because it's on Ramza.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Nightmare Necrophobe down and mastered

Team:
PCecil (LV90) | Pride of the Red Wings | Excalibur (FF4)/Thunder Gloves/Thief's Stole | Lifesiphon R4/Saint Cross R3 (BSB: Paladin Force)
Tyro (LV95) | Dr. Mog's Teachings | Sentinel's Grimoire+++/Crystal Helm+++/Squall's Necklace | Lifesiphon R4/Carbuncle R3 (SBs: Sentinel's Grimoire, Keeper's Tome)
Faris (LV80) | Secrets of the Qu | Soul Sabre++/Armguard/Victory Pendant | Mental Breakdown R3/Armor Breakdown R3 (SB: Sea Lord's Barrage)
Ramza (LV87) | Mako Might | Icebrand+++ (FF5)/Edincoat/Aries | Power Breakdown R4/Magic Breakdown R4 (SBs: Shout, Tailwind)
Rosa (LV75) | Battleforged | Artemis Bow/Healer's Robe/Gigas Armlet | Shellga R1/Wrath R4 (SSB: Divine Heal)

RW: Shout

This one took lots of retries and team reconfigurations to get right, and even then on the successful run I was basically bonedry on ability uses by the end and Tyro died at the very end when Necrophobe made it to the last phase of the fight and blew him up with Nightmare Flare before his last HP went away.

Thank GOD I had both Tailwind and Divine Heal for that fight, all those AOE heals were a blessing to have.

And yeah all 4 guardians kind of sucked for different reasons: Leviathan because of the fact he's in FF3 and my FF3 RS may as well not exist, Rubicante...in theory would have been thanks to the cloak but he never used it once, Jenova DEATH due to how hard and fast it hit right off the bat, and the FF12 one just due to the sheer amount of AOE spam towards the end of the fight.

Now to keep stockpiling mythril for the FF3 event.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

You lose significantly more magic by using an out of realm weapon than an out of realm armor, though.

And it's not as good of a Burst, either!

Dusk's Decree is so good. :allears:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Tailwind is percentage based, I think, so it's a decent stopgap if you don't have a stronger medica. It's handy mostly because it's on Ramza.
the real power of 40% medicas is letting your white mage carry something other than a medica.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I already have Faris, Bartz, Rinoa, Cloud and Ramza's BSBs, so hopefully I won't pull any of those. Well, Ramza and Rinoa's wouldn't be bad since I could combine them, but I'd still rather get something new.

Leviathan was terrible, since I have no petrify resist accessories. I also completely screwed up the first fight, accidentally keeping Faris in the back row so she was dealing garbage damage, and forgetting to wear water resist accessories on top of that. I won, but I didn't master it, so I had to do it again. It went much better the second time, didn't even petrify anyone (though I gave Selphie Esuna just in case).

Since I'm behind on Nightmares, I just did Quadruple Foul today, and it went very well. Being able to stack Maria's Song/Shout was a huge help, and so was someone saying what to do in plain English. The official Reddit guide explained the barriers and stated what stat to lower which got me confused, so someone going "Hey use Power on top and Armor on bottom, then Magic on top and Mental on bottom the second time" was appreciated.

I guess now I need to figure out how to take on the Tonberries.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
btw, the 12 boss is easily the worst of the lot

Another stupid as gently caress RNG fight where you basically lost if Break works on someone, while being tanky as poo poo and absurdly fast(getting 3-4 turns before even getting anything up isnt retarded at all, nope.)

SomeKindofVerb
Jan 12, 2010
Hey guys, I grabbed this back near the start and then my phone died and I forgot about my ages... I'm slowly building up my roster and 5*s and the like, but I was just wondering if it's worth spending the 1 Mythril to restore my stamina to burn through the now hundreds of story missions? Is the extra stamina I'll have more or less useful in the long run than the 5*s I'd be pulling quicker?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

SomeKindofVerb posted:

Hey guys, I grabbed this back near the start and then my phone died and I forgot about my ages... I'm slowly building up my roster and 5*s and the like, but I was just wondering if it's worth spending the 1 Mythril to restore my stamina to burn through the now hundreds of story missions? Is the extra stamina I'll have more or less useful in the long run than the 5*s I'd be pulling quicker?

Buying stamina is basically never worth it, as I understand. And it's never ever worth it for regular story missions that aren't going anywhere.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

SomeKindofVerb posted:

Mythril for stamina is never worth it before you have ~160 stamina, and even then is only worth it during limited time events you want to grind like orbfest. Just do em slow and steady.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

SomeKindofVerb posted:

I'm going to be the dissenting opinion and say I burned a bunch of mythril to do story dungeons early on, and I don't regret it. I was having fun grinding the story dungeons, so I kept buying stamina refreshes up until I hit ~90 max stamina, at which point I had enough to keep playing as much as I wanted to each day.

Having higher max stamina means you get more stamina every day when it recharges overnight, which is going to add up over time; it also means that when you do buy stamina refreshes during an orbfest (like the one supposedly coming up next month), you get more bang for your buck. Plus it's the only way to keep playing the game if you're having fun but you're out of stamina.

As long as you're only spending mythril to run dungeons that give you mythril (which is every story dungeon), you're going to come out net positive on mythril, too. I realize this is a limited resource that eventually runs dry, but it takes a long drat time for that to happen. I've been grinding story dungeons since I started a couple months ago and I'm still only about 75% done.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I never noticed how in the nightmare dungeon menus it mistakenly puts the word "Rounds" in place of "Difficulty". So it's telling me there are 160 rounds in some of these boss fights.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
That guaranteed BSB draw :stare:

I already have Paladin Cecil, Faris (x2), Celes, Lightning, Terra, and Eiko and I'm still 100% pulling on that. What a deal!

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
BSSB draw comes during Kain 1 doesnt it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My only BSBs so far are Yuna's and Rinoa's. It'd be nice to get a physical one but I'm assuming my march towards OP mage meta will continue

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

U-DO Burger posted:

My only BSBs so far are Yuna's and Rinoa's. It'd be nice to get a physical one but I'm assuming my march towards OP mage meta will continue

If you get the Artemis Bow II, embrace the mage meta and laugh at anyone who dares not resist/null Earth.

And then try your hardest to start whaling out for anything with potential Imperil Earths.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

KnoxZone posted:

As an owner of Faris' BSB and a lover of Faris, I'm still going to say that BSB is overhyped. The difference between full break and full BD is pretty minimal, and the burst commands are basically bog-standard breakdowns. And in any event you want your breaks up ASAP in the fight, so you pretty much need to give her a SB RM. There are only two of those and one RW, so bringing Shout/Wall/Stacking Debuff (like Vaan's)/Some other utility SB is often more important to me than Faris' Burst. If you've got a great mage BSB, you often want to give one of them a SB RM as well, since it can take a long time for mages without Support 4 to get their SBs going.

There are ways to handle it, like bringing your own Full Break and breakdowns until you build up gauge, but then she's really not offering much over a standard damage SSB. Or you can give her Wrath to try and get her SB gauge up as quickly as possible, but then you're probably screwing up your boostga on her and nerfing her damage terribly.

If I don't have other good SB options I really want to bring I'll still use her and her burst because I like her, but as a BSB it's not that hot. IMO.

Edit:

Shoenin posted:

BSSB draw comes during Kain 1 doesnt it

Yeah, both FFIV banners should still be around, and the first FFIII banner should be up before the LD goes live. I'm guessing the FFIV items will be on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FFIII items aren't. They are probably expecting the OK banner to be a big draw, and it only goes up 1 day before the Lucky Draw.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 17, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Artemis Bow II

How many 5* Artemis Bows are there even? There's at least three, if I'm remembering it right...

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Kawalimus posted:

Half price or full price it's a go for me. I have 4 BSBs, one Keeper's Tome I rarely use, and one of them is Excalibur IV which grows dated. Hope I get one of those four-rainbows.

Don't use Tyro a lot or do you already have SG? Since I don't have SG natively I use Keeper's Tome always so I don't need to worry about slotting either protectga or shellga, and the extra bit of mitigation is always nice.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AweStriker posted:

How many 5* Artemis Bows are there even? There's at least three, if I'm remembering it right...

There's three: FF2 (Meteor XIV), FF4 (Divine Heal) and FF5 (Beryl Serpent). There's also three Yoichi Bows in FF3, 5, and 12.

There's also six Defenders - 5* in FF2, 9, 12, and Tactics, 4* in FF1, and 3* in FF4.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Changed my RW to Maria BSB, geared for FFXIII dungeons.

FRiend code: 2edR

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Maria's Meteor XIV is actually not an artemis bow at all, but the Rune-Graven Bow :eng101:

Speaking of which, if I have that, is it worth throwing a pull at Kain 1 for a chance at Rydia BSB or Yang's Imperil Earth?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Zebia posted:

Don't use Tyro a lot or do you already have SG? Since I don't have SG natively I use Keeper's Tome always so I don't need to worry about slotting either protectga or shellga, and the extra bit of mitigation is always nice.

Yeah I already had SG. Funny enough, I drew twice on that banner(BSB banner 3) because I wanted Wutai Headband. I said to myself "You know, I bet since I'm not really after Keeper's Tome at all, I'll wind up pulling it". Sure enough, on my first one that's what came out, with a Seifer Coat. Then on my second pull I got Dreamstage. So I quit after that. But of course when I was trying for a down-banner item, I get two headliners.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Schwartzcough posted:

As an owner of Faris' BSB and a lover of Faris, I'm still going to say that BSB is overhyped. The difference between full break and full BD is pretty minimal, and the burst commands are basically bog-standard breakdowns. And in any event you want your breaks up ASAP in the fight, so you pretty much need to give her a SB RM. There are only two of those and one RW, so bringing Shout/Wall/Stacking Debuff (like Vaan's)/Some other utility SB is often more important to me than Faris' Burst. If you've got a great mage BSB, you often want to give one of them a SB RM as well, since it can take a long time for mages without Support 4 to get their SBs going.

There are ways to handle it, like bringing your own Full Break and breakdowns until you build up gauge, but then she's really not offering much over a standard damage SSB. Or you can give her Wrath to try and get her SB gauge up as quickly as possible, but then you're probably screwing up your boostga on her and nerfing her damage terribly.

If I don't have other good SB options I really want to bring I'll still use her and her burst because I like her, but as a BSB isn't not that hot. IMO.

The BSB is a little underwhelming but it works as a solid full breakdown midway through the fight (probably when Ramza is shouting again) - and it also does a sizable chunk of damage that I can totally see underestimated. I have her fully sphered up and she's probably my favourite team member just from how flexible she can be built; breakdowns, machinist statuses, aoe full break, and heavy damage with sapphire shot/thief's raid/mug bloodlust. It's more that it's an alright BSB on an amazing character, rather than some other examples where it's an excellent BSB on a mediocre character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Maria's Meteor XIV is actually not an artemis bow at all, but the Rune-Graven Bow :eng101:

Speaking of which, if I have that, is it worth throwing a pull at Kain 1 for a chance at Rydia BSB or Yang's Imperil Earth?

Oops, right, the Artemis bow was her thunder faithga. :shobon:

I don't think even an Imperil Earth would justify bringing Yang; he's pretty not-very-good. Then again, Meteor Crash would be all he needs, so :shrug:

• Locked thread