Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
Here's some rumors just for fun.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/rumour_nintendo_switch_will_have_super_mario_and_skyrim_at_launch_splatoon_coming_as_pack-in

Mario posted:

The title will apparently feature a 3D open world hub from which different worlds can be selected, with multiple objectives to complete in each, much like Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy. This may seem obvious, but we share this information to specify that this will not be a Super Mario 3D World-style game where the action is in 3D, but each stage is a linear path designed to be completed a single time.

The multiplayer teased in the trailer will be a co-op version of the main game, with both players able to work together toward objectives, but with a form of tether to keep the players from going too far from each other. Player two's gameplay will not hold player one back from progress, but player two can be the one to complete an objective and be shown as receiving the level end reward. A screen will then show how much of the progress toward that success was down to each player, like how many red coins each player collected in a red coin stage.

Splatoon posted:

A big part of the push for this will be a 1 vs 1 mode where two players on separate Switches can fight over a map, switching their weapon of choice at will mid-game. Nintendo expects the short match nature of Splatoon to translate well to handheld multiplayer, in that players need only commit a few minutes to a full multiplayer match.

There are also plans to add additional single player content to the game, and for the Switch version of the game to have a similar free content output schedule to the one the Wii U version of the game enjoyed.

:argh: posted:

Finally, LPVG has reinforced reports that Zelda: Breath of the Wild will miss the Switch launch. The site says that the Wii U version will also come later than March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finally Mario leaps on the Knuckles Chaotix bandwagon

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why do people think Super Mario Galaxy is closer to Mario 64 than 3D world. All of its levels are about going over a linear path to get to an end goal point, it's just a shine instead of a flagpole.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

greatn posted:

Why do people think Super Mario Galaxy is closer to Mario 64 than 3D world. All of its levels are about going over a linear path to get to an end goal point, it's just a shine instead of a flagpole.

there is no time limit maybe? you had a health bar?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

greatn posted:

I'd agree there. As much as I enjoyed Galaxy, I remember at the time being bummed that it wasn't exploration based and was mainly linear.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They pretty much fleshed out the difference with Galaxy 2, where they removed the nearly-pointless hub world and didn't disguise the fact that the courses were a series of obstacles rather than little worlds to be explored (except throwback galaxy, sorta, kinda).

I miss being just tossed into a landscape and having to guess what to do.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Omnikin posted:

How do you trust a shipping company with a few hundred dollars of desired electronics?

Is this a real question? People order thousands of dollars of stuff online all the loving time. Amazon covers you if something is broken. Any loving retailer would.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

zolthorg posted:

yeah there are a lot of morons who outright refused to use the gyro controls and got slaughtered online and lost interest in like a weekq

A+ Rank without ever using gyro controls, thank you very much.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

ddogflex posted:

Is this a real question? People order thousands of dollars of stuff online all the loving time. Amazon covers you if something is broken. Any loving retailer would.

gently caress broken, poo poo gets stolen all the time

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just had a revelation about Mario and Luigi but I don't know if the thread can handle it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Waiting for Switch

Spellman
May 31, 2011

greatn posted:

1) No time limit. Not saying the time limit is extraordinarily limiting in 3D World, but if your play style was to find every nook and cranny, time and practice every wall jump, and just examine beauty, you were allowed. It builds atmosphere rather than just burst arcade gameplay.

2) The original Galaxy typically marked advancement in the level with Lumas or launch stars. So it was very clear where to go next. But many of the planetoids were open concept with Starbits, coins and bonus rooms that were completely optional, but you could do. You might have to get a key, or search around an underwater cave, or do a maze. It was very obvious which levels were based linearly like Bowser's Castle, and Reactor, and which weren't. You'd have NPCs who would talk about finding a secret cave so you'd have to go find it yourself.

I mean saying a flag and the star are the same, so the games are the same — it's like are all platformers the same? Now Galaxy 2 really did push towards one destination, oftentimes one solution. But OG Galaxy had a balance.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Omnikin posted:

gently caress broken, poo poo gets stolen all the time

Have it shipped somewhere it won't be sitting on a porch? E.g. work, or a family member who is home during the day it's expected.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm actually not bothered by Zelda. I have the Wii U ports of Windwaker and TP that I haven't done anything with yet. Mario is my favourite Nintendo IP, bar none, so I'm happy to hear that they are launching with that, hopefully in a bundle. I tend to prefer the 3D World play style to that of Mario 64, but I'm still happy.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's been a while since I last preordered a console. If you're in the UK whereabouts is most reliable for it?

Since when do they have electricity in Yorkshire? I'm from Staffordshire and they just got it Tuesday last.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I do think that BotW missing release will be bad for the Switch: it's the one game everyone has been expecting for about three years now, they played it up to amazing success at this year's E3 and having it seemed to be delayed to launch with the NX got many people interested. I'm sure a ton of people, myself included, will be impressed with the new Mario and everything they show in two months, but BotW has more buzz going.

Still, better to delay a game that's eventually good than release one that'll always be bad and all that.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

splatoon is the perfect release game for the switch because you switch between a kid and a squid

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I won't buy a Switch till Zelda is out t b h

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

El Burbo posted:

me too op

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Does anyone else's phone autocorrect the word Switch to have a capital S all the time now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's even weirder is that afterwards it makes the snap/clicking sound and goes into a completely inoffensive upbeat jazzy song.

I'm not complaining, but it definitely caught me off guard the first few times it happened.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Mercury Crusader posted:

"There hasn't been a good Nintendo game since that one game I liked when I was 12 years old." - some 30+ year old goon that thinks Fallout 4 is good probably

* 35 year old man who still feels cool whenever a game has an M rating *

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

greatn posted:

Oh, today is Miyamoto-san's 64th birthday. (i swyped my keyboard for Miyamoto and it automatically Corvettes it to Miyamoto-san, which is fine by me)

Yup! Happy Birthday Miyamoto!

and me!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm a loving weirdo who watches reaction videos on certain things when I'm bored enough. Saw a few Switch videos with people discussing it and almost all of them either straight up said "gently caress splatoon nobody gives a poo poo" or "I gave it a try and it's not a bad game, but I really don't think I care enough to touch it again."

Makes me wonder how big Splatoon actually is in the west and how much people would care if it was a pack-in. (I don't really buy that but eh)

It's a bit of an oddity amongst FPS games. Thematically, design-wise and by tone, it's so far off from your CoDs and Dooms that it's bound to be shunned by people who are used to gritty manly man army shooters. In essence, gamer bros. Remember, the inklings are according to the director 14 years old. Are they ready to play as one?

That said, Splatoon captures that same sense of fun old school FPS had in the day. And that's enough for me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
More rhymin'
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/nov/16/nintendo-switchs-price-may-have-already-been-leaked/

summary: $250 maybe

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

A+ Rank without ever using gyro controls, thank you very much.

There are plenty of people in the world who can swim faster than me and have no arms, but I still highly recommend that you use your arms if you want to swim fast.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yup! Happy Birthday Miyamoto!

and me!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Why the gently caress won't one of these people leak the Animal Crossing title that we know must be in development?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Reggie will probably be at Geoff's Game Awards next month like always. I hope he presents something. Maybe present an award.

Not the second to last award on this list though. Not that one. That's be...awk-wwward

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pokemon Uranium shouldn't be on that list, it's really dumb and bad.

AM2R would be cool though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

greatn posted:

Pokemon Uranium shouldn't be on that list, it's really dumb and bad.

AM2R would be cool though.

I like that it's there solely because the picture for it is the thumbnail of some lets play of it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

El Burbo posted:

Yup. Wasn't this the WiiU thread title? Will it be the switch thread title?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That list of influential social gamer category is also pretty dire.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Pokemon Uranium is really not good, so I don't understand it being on that list.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Electromax posted:

Waiting for Switch

This one is hosed-up looking for some reason

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks buddy.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
While I was at Florida I met a guy outside the CityWalk who said he'd only buy a Switch for Zelda and then once he was done he would immediately sell both

He was quite the character

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I'll buy a Switch right away. I'll buy it Zelda be damned

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

While I was at Florida I met a guy outside the CityWalk who said he'd only buy a Switch for Zelda and then once he was done he would immediately sell both

He was quite the character

Jokes on him. You never finish Breath of the Wild.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Reiley posted:

This one is hosed-up looking for some reason

Looks like it's nearest-neighbour scaled by a non-integer factor, so some pixels end up different widths/heights than others, and many are even rectangular instead of square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
And no luck on NES Clasics at Walmart.com today once again...

Jesus christ, how loving stupid is this company to not make enough of them?

• Locked thread