Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah that's what all my advanced stats exams were like. 3-4 problems, 75 minutes to do them. Points taken off for wrong components only - if you hosed up on step 2 out of 10 and got the wrong answer it didn't matter, because you did the work properly you just had the wrong number in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vasudus posted:

Yeah that's what all my advanced stats exams were like. 3-4 problems, 75 minutes to do them. Points taken off for wrong components only - if you hosed up on step 2 out of 10 and got the wrong answer it didn't matter, because you did the work properly you just had the wrong number in the process.

Partial credit has been my saving grace on a LOT of poo poo this semester.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

TBeats posted:

Partial credit has been my saving grace on a LOT of poo poo this semester.

My brother had a calc class at Embry Riddle years ago with a professor that had been a Navy test pilot, the class was entirely students in the pilot program. They were graded for doing the steps, but if the answer was wrong, they could write "Seems wrong, ballpark answer should be closer to X" and if the work had been done close to correct and the ballpark was ok, they'd get 9 out of 10 points, because the professor figured that it was more important for the engineering students to understand it than the pilots

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Error carried forward is what my math/physics profs called it. That way if you flub a number early you still get credit in the end.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Rutgers posts a lot of good videos on YouTube for accounting that have helped me better understand a lot of the concepts.

One of the reasons I've been so successful in past accounting courses is because I would go to my class and then usually sit in on another section of the same class on the same day. That would help cement what the professor was teaching.

Unfortunately intermediate here, a school with less than 1000 undergrads, is where most students decide they don't want to do it anymore, so there's only one section. Using the Rutgers YouTube channel has replaced me taking the same class twice in a day.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah. Basic math and excel formulas are easy for me but as soon as you get into analytic geometry, I start to clam up. gently caress even algebra. Quit throwing letters with numbers!

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Looks like I'm probably gonna have to re-take this loving microbio course on my own dime to meet the prereq minimums for UW's bachelors PA program, probably after I manage to get to an actual big boy school that also offers Genetics and Biochem.

Random question: Anyone know poo poo about foreign language immersion courses, like the "spend a summer in Barcelona learning Spanish" kind of thing? I'm assuming there's some extra hoops to deal with on the Post-9/11 end because of the international poo poo, but I've got no idea how to even approach researching reputable programs/organizations.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Looks like I'm probably gonna have to re-take this loving microbio course on my own dime to meet the prereq minimums for UW's bachelors PA program, probably after I manage to get to an actual big boy school that also offers Genetics and Biochem.

Random question: Anyone know poo poo about foreign language immersion courses, like the "spend a summer in Barcelona learning Spanish" kind of thing? I'm assuming there's some extra hoops to deal with on the Post-9/11 end because of the international poo poo, but I've got no idea how to even approach researching reputable programs/organizations.

I tried to do this for my gap year between my post-bac pre-med program ending and starting medical school, and it didn't work out for a two reasons. The first was it was nearly impossible to find a program that was set up and accredited to properly take the GI bill payments, or even knew what it was, unless they were a US University, in which case you had to be an enrolled/degree-seeking student. The second was that I wasn't able to find one where I would have been able to fly back to the country during interview season. I know there is a US university set up as an emersion program in like, New Hampshire or something, but I remember being past the enrollment window for it, and that's not nearly as fun anyways. Ultimately I ended up just getting a research job and taking a few extra upper division biology electives, and that turned out to be really really helpful (particularly Immunobiology, but also some advanced genetics and microbiology stuff). The higher division stuff carried over really well into my first year classes.

EDIT: If you ever need help with medical science poo poo feel free to PM me. When I was a corpsman all the doctors were always down to teach me all the time, and I always dreamed that when I was a doctor I could pay that forward, but just lol at the idea of rejoining military at this point, so maybe I can at least help another vet out as a medical student.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 16, 2016

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Are you in school right now? your registrar and whoever runs the abroad program should be able to answer all those questions pretty easily. afaik all the programs will be under your university's name with regard to reputation.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So my video editing professor said that it was OK if I did my final project in the Grand Theft Auto V in game editor. So...I get to play video games for two weeks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I will say that one thing I like about graduate school is not having to do any more of that double spaced bullshit. Just good, honest, God-fearing single spacing.

Having to put stuff in IEEE formatting kind of blows, though. Fortunately my final paper for this class is just a whitepaper.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I always had to do things in double space, because that's what the American Sociological Association uses. Bulk of my papers were written like journal articles too, perhaps on the hope that one of us wouldn't produce unpublishable garbage. Joke's on them, though.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Double spaced work is easier to write feeeback on and makes sense for that reason.

Similarly lawyers are taught to double space after the end of a sentence/period and makes their poo poo look incredibly weird.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hate group projects so loving much. My teammates are all idiots, they don't take advice about things I'm more qualified to have opinions on than they are, and their work ethic sucks.

Yesterday they blew 15 minutes discussing how Ouija boards were totally real. I'm going to be so happy to never see these fucks again.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've got thanksgiving week to learn multivariable calc. Its a class where the only grade that counts is the final and after two weeks I couldn't stand the professor or the fact that it was a m/w/f 50 minute class that meant I had to drive the half an hour to school and then back.

Unfortunately i'll be busy flirting with bridesmaids at my friends wedding that i'm flying out for all week, so I don't think i'm going to be learning much math... I'm so bad at priorities.

I also have to write a paper about "Triumph of the Will" for my modern western history class. :godwinning: My professor for that class is also insufferable, and sternly tried to convince me that Triumph of the will wasn't racist since "it only mentioned race once." Like no, you made us sit here and watch the whole drat two hour slog that is that stupid movie, why are you defending nazi's in retrospect of all the poo poo they've done that we now know they did!?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Casimir Radon posted:

I hate group projects so loving much. My teammates are all idiots, they don't take advice about things I'm more qualified to have opinions on than they are, and their work ethic sucks.

Yesterday they blew 15 minutes discussing how Ouija boards were totally real. I'm going to be so happy to never see these fucks again.

15 minutes?!?!?!? If you hate them so much why don't you just be "that guy" and say lets do our work? Atleast you'd be showing some initiative, shipmate.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

TheQuietWilds posted:

I tried to do this for my gap year between my post-bac pre-med program ending and starting medical school, and it didn't work out for a two reasons. The first was it was nearly impossible to find a program that was set up and accredited to properly take the GI bill payments, or even knew what it was, unless they were a US University, in which case you had to be an enrolled/degree-seeking student. The second was that I wasn't able to find one where I would have been able to fly back to the country during interview season. I know there is a US university set up as an emersion program in like, New Hampshire or something, but I remember being past the enrollment window for it, and that's not nearly as fun anyways. Ultimately I ended up just getting a research job and taking a few extra upper division biology electives, and that turned out to be really really helpful (particularly Immunobiology, but also some advanced genetics and microbiology stuff). The higher division stuff carried over really well into my first year classes.

EDIT: If you ever need help with medical science poo poo feel free to PM me. When I was a corpsman all the doctors were always down to teach me all the time, and I always dreamed that when I was a doctor I could pay that forward, but just lol at the idea of rejoining military at this point, so maybe I can at least help another vet out as a medical student.

I'm pretty much just filling in the blanks for prereqs and pad my GPA to get out of the hole 16-19 year old me put myself in, since this loving school doesn't want to give me a break on poo poo from 9 loving years ago. Probably going to wait until my GPA floats somewhere above "godawful" so I can transfer to a 4-year and take the more involved/difficult bio courses. So I figure I can burn a summer doing some rad poo poo in Barcelona (not just drinking and womanizing), maybe pick up some Spanish and satisfy the language requirements.

I'll definitely keep your offer in mind when I start getting into the really hairy poo poo. Microbio isn't actually bad, kind of like a half-remembered song being played just outside my hearing, but the professor is breathtakingly bad at explaining some of the more involved poo poo like the whole section on immune response.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Are you in school right now? your registrar and whoever runs the abroad program should be able to answer all those questions pretty easily. afaik all the programs will be under your university's name with regard to reputation.

That's actually not a terrible idea. Probably going to have to hope for some tenuously affiliated poo poo with a big boy school, but at least this gives me a starting point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

15 minutes?!?!?!? If you hate them so much why don't you just be "that guy" and say lets do our work? Atleast you'd be showing some initiative, shipmate.
Because being mean to them is only going to come back on me in peer evaluations, and they're fragile babies. In a few weels I'll hopefully never have to see them again.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Because being mean to them is only going to come back on me in peer evaluations, and they're fragile babies. In a few weels I'll hopefully never have to see them again.

I feel your pain. A lot of the leadership has defaulted onto me for a slew of reasons and having dead weight like that just absolutely loving sucks.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

I'll definitely keep your offer in mind when I start getting into the really hairy poo poo. Microbio isn't actually bad, kind of like a half-remembered song being played just outside my hearing, but the professor is breathtakingly bad at explaining some of the more involved poo poo like the whole section on immune response.

Just to give your professor the benefit of the doubt, immunology is batshit complicated and probably one of the hardest things to teach. We are actually studying it right now and you basically have to understand everything before you can actually understand anything, if that makes sense. You've just got to start wading into it with an acceptance that you're going to have to take a pile of things on faith until you learn about it later.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
SO was asking about getting her Master's in Public Health. That sounds expensive, frustrating and like it will take 12 years or so to pay for itself

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

SO was asking about getting her Master's in Public Health. That sounds expensive, frustrating and like it will take 12 years or so to pay for itself

Depends on where she gets it. MPH from Hopkins or Harvard is like instant high paying position for NGOs, consulting companies, or state government.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psydude posted:

Depends on where she gets it. MPH from Hopkins or Harvard is like instant high paying position for NGOs, consulting companies, or state government.

University of Arizona

It's like a diploma mill but without the efficiency

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If she gets it in epidemiology she'll never be unemployed, at least around the DC area.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

This is probably a sign that you're miserable to work with and will be a bad fit for the modern workplace.

- The Assholes Who Think Group Work in College is a Good Idea

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
As an aspiring student veteran (got 6 months of active duty left before EAOS) perhaps this question is appropriate for this thread. Forgive me if not. My question is in regard to the risk in partaking the in the recreational use of marijuana after detachment. Is there any possibility of getting tested for drugs after EAOS? Technically my contract continues for another four years, but in an inactive reserve status where I would only have to muster in case of some major conflict (WWIII scale). Will getting high jeopardize my benefits?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Your benefits are awarded to you upon successful discharge from active duty.

The only thing that drugs could gently caress up is that if you have a drug conviction on your record, you're ineligible for financial aid (student loans and grants) but that's it. Once you get that DD214 the GI Bill is yours to have.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also if you plan to get a job that requires maintaining a clearance, don't do drugs. Other than that no one cares.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Vasudus posted:

Your benefits are awarded to you upon successful discharge from active duty.

The only thing that drugs could gently caress up is that if you have a drug conviction on your record, you're ineligible for financial aid (student loans and grants) but that's it. Once you get that DD214 the GI Bill is yours to have.

:stare:

Does this apply to convictions that I obtained before enlistment? (I had a waiver to get in)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Dick Bastardly posted:

:stare:

Does this apply to convictions that I obtained before enlistment? (I had a waiver to get in)

Is it true that drug convictions might affect my ability to get federal student aid?

Yes; your eligibility might be suspended if the offense occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, or work-study). When you complete the FAFSA, you will be asked whether you had a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid. If the answer is yes, you will be provided a worksheet to help you determine whether your conviction affects your eligibility for federal student aid.

If your eligibility for federal student aid has been suspended due to a drug conviction, you can regain eligibility early by successfully completing an approved drug rehabilitation program or by passing two unannounced drug tests administered by an approved drug rehabilitation program. If you regain eligibility during the award year, notify your financial aid office immediately so you can get any aid you’re eligible for.

If you are convicted of a drug-related offense after you submit the FAFSA, you might lose eligibility for federal student aid, and you might be liable for returning any financial aid you received during a period of ineligibility.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
*whew*

Ok, that means I'm in the clear. I don't intend to partake in any state in which it is still illegal, and highly doubt the feds will waste resources on arresting me in states where it is legal, I should be totally fine. Thanks!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In the current administration that means you pretty much have to get slammed with an intent to distribute. I don't know what it'll mean next year.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
The next administration ought to be full of surprises but lets hope the brutal crack down on state's rights to govern themselves in certain matters isn't one of them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Has nothing to do with states rights, FAFSA is a federal thing. Before Obama stopped the DEA from cracking down on totally legal dispensaries people were getting arrested and charged at the federal level.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Right, but my point was that I really hope Trump's administration has a mind to leave certain issues to state government vice federal involvement. Although Trump's appointment of Jeff Sessions as Attorney General does not bode well for the cannabis industry.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I understand that FAFSA is a federally regulated program/entity, but I shouldn't have any qualm with them as my offense did not occur whilst drawing federal aid.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dick Bastardly posted:

Right, but my point was that I really hope

Just gonna stop you right there and say this is the election season to abandon all hope. poo poo's hosed yo.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

bird food bathtub posted:

Just gonna stop you right there and say this is the election season to abandon all hope. poo poo's hosed yo.

Dude, please. I need all the positivity I can get. :ohdear:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

I've got thanksgiving week to learn multivariable calc. Its a class where the only grade that counts is the final and after two weeks I couldn't stand the professor or the fact that it was a m/w/f 50 minute class that meant I had to drive the half an hour to school and then back.

Hello me,

Only I'm more of the "need to ace the last couple quizzes to rescue my grade" variety.

At least multivariable calc isn't that bad, unlike differential equations where if I missed a class I wouldn't have a clue wtf was going on calc is somewhat intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yall are putting a lot of faith in a president that can get vetoed on some poo poo. The head of the senate has pretty much been "yeah, not a whole lot he is saying is not gonna happen."

The Obama bill for Federal agencies to stop arresting people on federal levels is a heroic step forward but it stops right there until another democrat steps into office. Especially since our new attorney general is pretty much the exact dude who started the goddamn prohibition in the first place.

• Locked thread