Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mystery Prize posted:

That sucks, dude. I've learned to always have rCorr handy even after Slime, because Caustic Shrikes (and to a lesser extent Yellow Draconians) are loving terrifying.

I always do Depths before Slime so caustic shrikes aren't an issue (though I dread the day a dev decides they should spawn in Dis). Its still nice to have rCorr due to the occasional enemy corrosion (rust devils mostly) but this is the first time I've straight up died because I neglected it after Slime.

I need to readjust my mental state when it comes to Zot:1-4. I'm so used to teleports being an easy bail out even when you come across the really nasty Zot vaults. Now that the orb effect applies to all of Zot, the whole place is way more deadly. Doesn't help that I keep forgetting about that change until I've been sitting for a few turns waiting for a tele to go off, wondering why it hasn't occurred already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

edit: nevermind!

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 16, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

LogicNinja posted:

Scrolled past this, did a double take, scrolled back up, started applauding. A+ 11/10.

Chill orc?
Chimneyspawn?
The Snowing One?
Yredelemnul to Tim Burton.
Beoghoho
Chris Muna
Jinglebells Jiyva
Trognog
Sleighbriados

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Poison Mushroom posted:

I lost a really good TrMo^F because I forgot I was carrying a wand of heal wounds. And a potion of haste. And my god abilities. And scrolls of teleport.

:bang:

420 slam tab every loving turn

also can we please revert whatever change was made that made shafts appear everywhere? They are a death sentence for early characters and it's not really fun running around trying to find an upstair if you haven't had the luck to find Mapping yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

tote up a bags posted:

420 slam tab every loving turn
Playing Tormof the Second now, and so far, I have found...

Two book stores and a robe of the archmagi.

:negative:

code:
You die...
Fedhas appreciates your contribution to the ecosystem.
I gotta admit, I loving snorted.

Lot of OOD monsters that game, though. Teleportitis didn't help, either.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 16, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Gozag corpse gold should always go directly into your pocket. Ever since the change to the gold aura there's been no reason for it to drop on the floor and the game directly pockets any gold that would be lost to deep water/lava, so having to pick up the gold just adds a bit of extra tedium. Scooping up all the gold after every fight is easier than old corpse 'p'urifying but you have to do it for every encounter and it becomes a huge hassle any time something blocks your autoexplore and you don't want to hang around to kill everything like abyss or pan.

Hell, just give Gozag a passive money vacuum ability and autopocket all gold in your LoS. Thematic and convenient!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
with exams over, i wanted to get a win on the board nice and quick in classic fashion. so after losing a bunch of promising berserkers to situations i should know how to avoid by now, i went off the rails and tried something a little different.

https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/Ark/morgue-Ark-20161116-123211.txt
code:
Ark the Grand Master (level 27, 246/246 HPs)
             Began as a Pale Draconian Monk on Nov 16, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 05:58:12 (67862 turns).

Ark the Grand Master (Pale Draconian Monk)         Turns: 67862, Time: 05:58:13

Health: 246/246    AC: 19    Str: 30    XL:     27
Magic:  33/33      EV: 36    Int: 38    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   5355       SH:  0    Dex: 33    Spells: 6 memorised, 15 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis +      - Unarmed
rCold  . . .      Gourm    .    (armour unavailable)
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    (no shield)
rPois  +          Spirit   .    F - +2 hat {SInv}
rElec  +          Reflect  .    O - +0 cloak of the Barracuda {*Slow MR+++ Int+4 Stlth+}
rCorr  .          Harm     .    f - +2 pair of gloves
MR     +++++      Clarity  +    (no boots)
Stlth  +++....... NoTele   +    K - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
                                M - ring "Adew Lut" {*Tele rElec rF++ Dex-3 SInv}
                                Z - ring "Satu" {-Tele +Fly rPois Int+4}
my first win with a draconian, monk, or chei! quite frankly, i can't believe i've never used chei before. the power...

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

also can we please revert whatever change was made that made shafts appear everywhere? They are a death sentence for early characters and it's not really fun running around trying to find an upstair if you haven't had the luck to find Mapping yet.

I actually disagree. I think getting shafted, and then having to desperately search for the quickest path to an upstair, is a fun and interesting thing.

Then again, i also think getting abyssed is a fun mechanic, so maybe I'm just weird.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The moral behind crawl really is true: to be strong you really gotta take it easy

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Darox posted:

Gozag corpse gold should always go directly into your pocket. Ever since the change to the gold aura there's been no reason for it to drop on the floor and the game directly pockets any gold that would be lost to deep water/lava, so having to pick up the gold just adds a bit of extra tedium. Scooping up all the gold after every fight is easier than old corpse 'p'urifying but you have to do it for every encounter and it becomes a huge hassle any time something blocks your autoexplore and you don't want to hang around to kill everything like abyss or pan.

Hell, just give Gozag a passive money vacuum ability and autopocket all gold in your LoS. Thematic and convenient!

I like this idea very much.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

rj54x posted:

I actually disagree. I think getting shafted, and then having to desperately search for the quickest path to an upstair, is a fun and interesting thing.

Then again, i also think getting abyssed is a fun mechanic, so maybe I'm just weird.

The Abyss exists in a weird gray area where if you're too weak it's a death sentence, too strong and it's boring. Getting banished at about XL 17-21 is the ideal zone of good encounters.
Maybe if you're below a certain level, Altars to Lugonu should show up super frequently, and have wrath be reduced if you switch inside the Abyss.

Shafts are good after about XL 6 and never stop being exciting.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Allow Dith shadow to attack diagonally and reach.

Why was only attacking orthogonally a thing it was deliberately designed to do before now :lol:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
A pretension that you don't cast a long shadow and ignores that throwing and casting had no such issues? Yeah, that was a dumb and unspoken limitation.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Floodkiller posted:

Why was only attacking orthogonally a thing it was deliberately designed to do before now :lol:

begging the question

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

begging the question
Sorry, I read this line and the commit name and assumed:
code:
return dist < 2 || (dist <= 2 && you.reach_range() != REACH_NONE);
I guess I should blame Crawlcode instead, then?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there anything more delightful then being chased by bees and then realizing "oh wait, I have like seven lig potions"? Because Termof the third is making fantastic use of lig potions. (Which is delightful from a thematic perspective.)

Also
code:
o - the +3 hat of Pondering (worn) {ponderous, MR+ MP+10 Int+5}
I shouldn't. I really, really shouldn't. But I'm going to, until I find another hat, at least. (It's only my second pip of MR, so I kind of need it.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I give up.

How do you do Shoals as someone who breathes and doesn't fly? Now that I can't stand on doors to not get killed by water nymphs my success rate with non-Gargoyles is unpleasantly low (though I haven't really played any significant amount since the last tournament, which isn't helping). What are the tricks? There's got to be something I'm missing, because I can't believe that one of the four Lair areas is just this much harder than Swamp/Spider/Snake.

I'm sure it's not too bad if you're a good player, but I have like four lifetime wins in versions more recent than 0.10 and I'm just not, so whenever I see Shoals I just kind of sigh and expect to die, even if I put it off.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 16, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Prism posted:

I give up.

How do you do Shoals as someone who breathes and doesn't fly? Now that I can't stand on doors to not get killed by water nymphs my success rate with non-Gargoyles is unpleasantly low (though I haven't really played any significant amount since the last tournament, which isn't helping). What are the tricks? There's got to be something I'm missing, because I can't believe that one of the four Lair areas is just this much harder than Swamp/Spider/Snake.
Bring at least one of the following, but as many as you can manage:
- Absurd MR
- Lots of potions of flight and/or an evocable source of flight with a decent Evocations
- A good shield and/or amulet of Reflection
- If you're really ballsy, a chokepoint and lig potions
- Necromutation(??? maybe, I've never played full Necro)
- Lots of scrolls of fog and a hella good stairdance game
- Worship Fedhas and \[T]/ Praise the Sun(light)!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 16, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Prism posted:

I give up.

I'm sure it's not too bad if you're a good player, but I have like four lifetime wins in versions more recent than 0.10 and I'm just not, so whenever I see Shoals I just kind of sigh and expect to die, even if I put it off.

Shoals is still the most awful Lair branch to get, even if you are 'good'. Some tricks:
-A lot of Shoals enemies are weaker inland vs near the water, so drag them over to even footing
-Don't be afraid to use consumables/god powers when you see something that you don't know if you can deal, like water nymphs or merfolk avatars
-Leave Shoals:4 for later as long as possible, always. It is so much more dangerous than any other Lair branch ending by a mile
-Always let enemies come to you, don't reveal more spaces moving to them (good advice for the rest of the game as well)

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Enemies in Shoals (including the branch-specific uniques) that see invisible:
Water Nymph, Merfolk Aquamancer

The most valuable thing to have in shoals is a pathological level of separation anxiety concerning stairs.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Speaking of that stair pathos, a good way to avoid more trouble than you would think is to simply dive the shoals. It's not that likely you would teleport to safety, you're more likely to get screwed, given the lack of corridors, let alone the chance of stranding. Oddly enough, I've found it easier to clear on the way up than the way down. Maybe because I have twice as many floors to retreat to.

Also, sometimes you can disintegrate a little cubbyhole to hide in. It's not much, but it helps, kinda like the abyss.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Prism posted:

I give up.

Stair dance, be careful about aggro'ing the whole floor, and be careful about nymphs and sirens and then aquamancers and gladiators and javilineers. The bottom of shoals is only dangerous if you manage to not clean up around the vaults and then get swarmed by the nasty stuff in there and out. Use the pillars or rock walls to your advantage and just pull manageable amounts at a time. Alligator turtles are surprisingly dangerous. Sea snakes will poison the gently caress out of you if you're not careful. Never fight in the water if you don't have to and don't let enemies sit in the water safely either if you can pull them to dry land. Poison cloud fumigates quite nicely.

The Shoals loot generally sucks, I can't remember the last time something good showed up there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sometimes Donald spawns with a shield of reflection? :shrug:

(Probably only relevant if you're large).

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I FRICKING HATE GUARDIAN SERPENTS SO MUCH!

I had a TeAE of Sif going, 3rd streak, tons of tourney points for the combo and win. 33 int, archmagi, OOD, fireball, freezing cloud, bolt of fire, you name it. Just looking for anything with rElec so I can mem chain lightning.

Snake 3 I clear and clear from the stairs and I finally go into this vaulty looking room. There's a spawn with 2 anaconas and a guardian serpent so I fireball it.

Mambas and 2 more guardian serpents come running from the rest of a very small unexplored space along with more naga including a mage and a shock serpent.

I get one serpent but now I have 2 guys blinking everything in the room on top of me every turn. If I'd found rElec I would have had chain lightning been fine. Only a few hundred gp short of a stack of acquirements that would have amost certainly netted me a staff of air.

Running into that many fast creatures at once with guardian serpents, who are ALSO fast, is just brutal. Almost got away with fcloud but a guardian serpent moved and hit me for 25 points.

I'm so angry right now. Was on the path to a really good tourney score with the TeAE and the streak. Just lost another promising one running into a yaktaur pack pre-lair.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Poison Mushroom posted:

Sometimes Donald spawns with a shield of reflection? :shrug:

(Probably only relevant if you're large).
He spawns with one half the time, iirc.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
New record for the most damage I've taken from an orc warrior.

Probably because I was &%$*ING ASLEEP. D8 vaults with dream sheep and a hydra are really fair:
code:
        3261 araganzar the Carver (level 9, -13/49 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Elf Chaos Knight on Nov 16, 2016.

Mangled by an orc warrior
             ... wielding a +0 scimitar
              (52 damage)

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Invis/flight pots and evocables and fog scrolls are good for shoals, reflection amulets also. Stair dancing and changing stairs often helps, but careful to attract the whole level at once. Save shoals for 2nd rune. Use buffs on 4th. Invisible!

I am Otis fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 16, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I've never had trouble with Shoals??? It's really not that bad.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'll always do it second unless I'm a formicid with a large shield. Though when you are a Fo with a shield/amulet of reflection and a crossbow its hilariously easy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Shoals is literally impossible as a chei character, I've found (though I'm bad at chei in general)

e: My general ranking of the branches in terms of difficulty, easiest to hardest:

Spider with rPois
Shoals with water traversal
Swamp with a good plan for hydras
Snake
Shoals without water traversal
Swamp with a bad plan for hydras
Spider without rPois

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 16, 2016

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Speleothing posted:

I've never had trouble with Shoals??? It's really not that bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Shoals is the hardest lair branch unless you have invis, in which case Snake is the hardest.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

Sorry, I read this line and the commit name and assumed:
code:
return dist < 2 || (dist <= 2 && you.reach_range() != REACH_NONE);
I guess I should blame Crawlcode instead, then?

Yeah, I think the current behaviour is what that line of code was *intended* to do - they just called the wrong function to calculate "dist".

e: lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, I think the current behaviour is what that line of code was *intended* to do - they just called the wrong function to calculate "dist".

e: lol

I'm glad that now both diagonals and the Very Special case are now addressed.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
there's a known bug involving a rakshasa with a battleaxe cleaving multiple enemies, somehow getting damaged midway through, triggering its 'defensive illusion', creating two illusions nearby and swapping with one of them, leaving it out of range of the original remaining cleaving targets, crashing the game.

crawl is good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

there's a known bug involving a rakshasa with a battleaxe cleaving multiple enemies, somehow getting damaged midway through, triggering its 'defensive illusion', creating two illusions nearby and swapping with one of them, leaving it out of range of the original remaining cleaving targets, crashing the game.

crawl is good

So what you're saying is don't be a demonspawn with demonic ally and spiny and fight a rakshasa with an axe?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Shoals is a lot easier if you separate everything as much as possible. If you get brutally owned in shoals it's probably because you got stuck in water and swarmed. If not for the terrain, snake would always be significantly harder than shoals.

Araganzar posted:

I FRICKING HATE GUARDIAN SERPENTS SO MUCH!

I had a TeAE of Sif going, 3rd streak, tons of tourney points for the combo and win. 33 int, archmagi, OOD, fireball, freezing cloud, bolt of fire, you name it. Just looking for anything with rElec so I can mem chain lightning.
I found your problem. Even with high power chain lightning self damage has trouble breaking into double digits. You don't need rElec for it in the same way you do for ball lightning. Chain lightning is good regardless, it's just extra amazing with a staff of air.

Darox fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 16, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What're the breakpoints for weapon-independent skills?

Like, I know with most weapon skills, the breakpoints are '1.0' and 'mindelay', and Spellcasting's is "Spel * Int >= multiple of 50" for spell hunger, etc.

What about fighting, or dodging, or stealth? Do I really need to break out the calculator every time, or are there other reasonable rule of thumb options? Armor = current armor's encumbrance rating?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

A wand of flame has a good chance of breaking LoS mesmerization. If you think shoals is going to be hairy you want to back and find one to bring with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Poison Mushroom posted:

What're the breakpoints for weapon-independent skills?

Like, I know with most weapon skills, the breakpoints are '1.0' and 'mindelay', and Spellcasting's is "Spel * Int >= multiple of 50" for spell hunger, etc.

What about fighting, or dodging, or stealth? Do I really need to break out the calculator every time, or are there other reasonable rule of thumb options? Armor = current armor's encumbrance rating?

I like kicking around 20 as a good number to hit in AC/EV (or both!) if I'm a melee tabber or somebody who's going to be in melee range in general around the early midgame. Train Dodging/Armour to reach that amount, adjust where necessary. Fighting is solely based on how much HP you're comfortable with having, ~100 mid-Lair is typical for a fightmans in my case. Stealth is generally ignored unless doing a stabby dude or an early Abyss, in which case throw investment into it until some arbitrary pip is reached. It's purely subjective what you need in these skills.

• Locked thread