Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
The tent was p. :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Watching a bunch of old episodes, i've got to say the india special is still the worst episode they've ever done. It's just really bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know about worst episode but it's the worst Special. It seemed like the most by the numbers scripted bore fest of any of the specials. The banners being ripped up by the train was definitely a low point for the show.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I skip most of the specials, to be honest. Especially the India and middle East one.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

SpannerX posted:

I skip most of the specials, to be honest. Especially the India and middle East one.

Jesus.

Like I understand the India special but other than that they're all basically high points of the show.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know about worst episode but it's the worst Special. It seemed like the most by the numbers scripted bore fest of any of the specials. The banners being ripped up by the train was definitely a low point for the show.

No way, the cricket match later on was. The banners were no more contrived than the "sponsor decals" on the race cars.

PS watch the middle east special, its up there with the best top gear IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMRCDdRwAgY

(i often think of how many of the soldiers and children on-screen in this episode later went on to be ISIS members)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

SpannerX posted:

When I watch Top Gear I skip right to SIARPC and then shut it off when Jeremy starts the lap footage

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

When I watch Top Gear I skip right to SIARPC and then shut it off when Jeremy starts the lap footage

I have a VLC plugin that scans the soundtrack for variations on phrases like "you have a new movie out just now...". It then loops that 30 second bit for the duration of the show. When the specials are out, I prefer to just go online and browse banner ads.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Middle east had good and bad parts but it was badass they even did it. Depressing that damascus was leveled after they filmed there.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

Ola posted:

I have a VLC plugin that scans the soundtrack for variations on phrases like "you have a new movie out just now...". It then loops that 30 second bit for the duration of the show. When the specials are out, I prefer to just go online and browse banner ads.

I record every show and painstakingly remove every frame and replace the audio with David Sedaris readings on NPR.*

Do enjoy David Sedaris, but I can't think of anything LESS car oriented than him.

E: Goddamn Google Keyboard, LEARN MY SWIPES.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 5, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I insert an opaque watermark of Chris Evans in the middle of the picture.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

hopterque posted:

Jesus.

Like I understand the India special but other than that they're all basically high points of the show.

I've seen them too many times and can sit through them any more. Sorry to offend. I will watch the Vietnam special though, it is my favourite ep.

Edit: this just showed up in my podcast feed clarkson and may interview by auto blog.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 5, 2016

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Whether I get tickets or not I'm going to make my way over to wherever the tent appears.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You mean if it actually does rise out of the mists and isn't a figment of your imagination?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Secret leaked photos of vehicles the Grand Tour drove at the Ivalo test track in Finland:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mustache Ride posted:

You mean if it actually does rise out of the mists and isn't a figment of your imagination?

Stigadoon

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

Sormus posted:

Secret leaked photos of vehicles the Grand Tour drove at the Ivalo test track in Finland:

I didn't know they made Volvos in Finland, too!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I insert an opaque watermark of Chris Evans in the middle of the picture.

:discourse:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Also once a year I put a picture of a scenic and exotic place up on my screen and listen to Jessica as skatted by an a capella group on loop for two hours

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Also once a year I put a picture of a scenic and exotic place up on my screen and listen to Jessica as skatted by an a capella group on loop for two hours

IOC please ban this sick filth

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Mustache Ride posted:

Brigahoon

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's going to be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P54yQW3NLl4

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So is Ben Collins now the test driver in TGT, or not? When the video first came up, people said it was old material from Top Gear, but the three keep reposting it in the context of TGT on Youtube.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah, it's from the live shows, and the youtube accounts named after the three that have popped up recently aren't them. Someone's just reposting outtakes, DVD extras and stuff. At least I'm pretty sure that's what's happening.

For reference, May and Hammond's genuine accounts are JM's unemployment tube and Richard Hammond is bored, and there's only very little on them (but it's actually not bad).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The three now have official Facebook accounts. As My Lovely Horse said, those "Richard Hammond" and "James May" youtube channels are not official. You can tell when it's official because it's a new video of them talking about The Grand Tour or it's an ad for The Grand Tour. They aren't going to post anything about old Top Gear.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwxRoPv3-vw

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The Grand Tour has gone all-out advertising at the LA Auto Show this year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So is someone making a new thread or what

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So is someone making a new thread or what

Why? It's been the Jeremy Clarkson/James may thread for the past year. Why change now?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

If you really want you can rename the thread, but I have a feeling people will still just be calling it Top Gear for awhile.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It'll be New Old Top Gear vs. Real Top Gear

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo is going down again!

quote:

An airport worker kept Jeremy Clarkson off a UK-bound flight because of a Top Gear special, it has been reported.
The ex-Top Gear host claimed Stuttgart Airport worker Manuel Pereira had said he was from Argentina as he stopped him boarding a flight in Germany on Monday.
Top Gear's Argentina special prompted protests over a car number plate that appeared to refer to the Falklands War.
A spokesman for Stuttgart Airport told the BBC Mr Clarkson and his team had missed several calls for their flight.
He said that the other passengers had already boarded, and added: "Due to airline policy after a certain time of absence the luggage will be removed from the aircraft and the missing passengers will be withdrawn from the passenger list.
"From this point there is no chance for boarding, even if the passengers show up
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37997211

Not sure who to believe here. On one hand, it's possible that Clarkson just missed the boarding, but it's also possible that some butthurt Argentinian made things more difficult for them, and it only makes sense that a German official would support him :godwin:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

sounds like the sort of poo poo that happens to normal people every day in airports and nobody gives a gently caress about. people that work in airports can be loving cunts and take power trips because you can't react without "poo poo going down". I am ignoring this story on principle.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

https://twitter.com/thegrandtour/status/798890620408336384

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Qmass posted:

sounds like the sort of poo poo that happens to normal people every day in airports and nobody gives a gently caress about. people that work in airports can be loving cunts and take power trips because you can't react without "poo poo going down". I am ignoring this story on principle.

Seems much more likely that Clarkson was the actual rear end in a top hat, as usual.

quote:

A Reutlingen police spokesman said it was "not comprehensible" to link the furore with Clarkson's inability to board a plane at Stuttgart Airport.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Happy to see that but still annoyed that it's even news or that it's still partially restricted. This is a show being paid for, produced, and distributed by an internet company using the internet. There was never a good (for consumers, not for useless middlemen) reason to have any regional limitations at all. The assumption for modern digitally distributed content should be a simultaneous worldwide release.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

wolrah posted:

Happy to see that but still annoyed that it's even news or that it's still partially restricted. This is a show being paid for, produced, and distributed by an internet company using the internet. There was never a good (for consumers, not for useless middlemen) reason to have any regional limitations at all. The assumption for modern digitally distributed content should be a simultaneous worldwide release.

It's hard, even for Amazon, to launch a hugely popular, 4k show (so a ton of bandwidth needed) around the world, especially in places where prime video isn't available (so they don't have infrastructure available). I'm sure they'd rather launch it simultaneously, but at some point, if the stuff isn't ready, you just have to go.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Amazon being on the internet doesn't get it out of complying with music licensing and other legal agreements that are different in each country/region.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel very lucky here in Germany, all things and particularly our ridiculous music licensing habits considered.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Direct link to the Amazon mailing list here, in case you live somewhere else like HoldenFan3000 and myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

poo poo is going down again!

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37997211

Not sure who to believe here. On one hand, it's possible that Clarkson just missed the boarding, but it's also possible that some butthurt Argentinian made things more difficult for them, and it only makes sense that a German official would support him :godwin:

You have hurt the feelings of the Argentine people. Argentine people's glass heart is too weak to undertake criticism.