Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

mcmagic posted:

Is there anyone on that list that isn't completely reprehensible?

Which position is this for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Boy I can't wait until Msulims also have to wear a special badge after being added to our national registry. Truly we are moving in to a new era of American prosperity. :godwinning:

Agnosticnixie posted:

At this point uspol saying there won't be a draft is making me entertain the possibility that they'll reinstate it.

Also, no he won't be impeached. That's about as much wishful thinking as electors going faithless.

At the rate this trainwreck is going I'm going to be seriously stunned if this election doesn't set a record for faithless electors. It won't change the outcome (because that'd spark nationwide riots and violence at the very least) but so many people are watching this all in utter horror.

Is it even possible to deny Trump's requests for things like Kushner to get security clearance? Like there's zero reason any government agency would trust that guy, especially with how loving obvious it is he's using his position as Trumps son-in-law to conduct a political purge of Fat Reek and his cohorts.

readingatwork posted:

Obama could have disbanded the whole thing in 08 but he didn't. Instead he doubled down and codified it into law and as a result an orange lunatic now has the keys to every piece of personal information in existence.

So yeah, gently caress Obama.

Not unilaterally he couldn't and there is zero chance he'd have gotten the Dem-controlled congress to pass a law doing it either because plenty of Dems want that poo poo in place.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which position is this for?

Supreme Court

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is it even possible to deny Trump's requests for things like Kushner to get security clearance? Like there's zero reason any government agency would trust that guy, especially with how loving obvious it is he's using his position as Trumps son-in-law to conduct a political purge of Fat Reek and his cohorts.

No. The classification system exists by the authority and for the convenience of the president. He decides who gets what clearances, either personally or via the administrative process; the president could give you personally a top secret clearance tomorrow and there's nothing anyone could do about it (except impeachment).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Quorum posted:

No. The classification system exists by the authority and for the convenience of the president. He decides who gets what clearances, either personally or via the administrative process; the president could give you personally a top secret clearance tomorrow and there's nothing anyone could do about it (except impeachment).

Trump Security Briefings, now on sale!

Only 1,999,999 USD for all of America's secrets.

Just send your ambassador to the White House with a briefcase of unmark bills and you too can own a Trump brand security briefing!

Remember, if it doesn't help you topple the American nation, it isn't Trump brand.

----Donald Trump once he realizes he is allowed to give out security clearance to anyone he wants for any reason

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Welp, looks like the Republican Legislative Strategy is to pass a giant omnibus reconciliation bill very quickly. The bill will be filibuster proof because it is a budget reconciliation vote and it will have so many components that it will be difficult to attack any specific aspect. It will also include a 2-year time bomb that will end Obamacare, but not until after the 2018 elections.

I love those kinds of tactics, practically admitting people will hate what they're planning but good luck getting voters to care.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Covok posted:

Trump Security Briefings, now on sale!

Only 1,999,999 USD for all of America's secrets.

Just send your ambassador to the White House with a briefcase of unmark bills and you too can own a Trump brand security briefing!

Remember, if it doesn't help you topple the American nation, it isn't Trump brand.

----Donald Trump once he realizes he is allowed to give out security clearance to anyone he wants for any reason

Top Secret clearance granted to everyone who bought one of these

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Welp, looks like the Republican Legislative Strategy is to pass a giant omnibus reconciliation bill very quickly. The bill will be filibuster proof because it is a budget reconciliation vote and it will have so many components that it will be difficult to attack any specific aspect. It will also include a 2-year time bomb that will end Obamacare, but not until after the 2018 elections.

Sauce?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, just lol at Diane Sykes being on the list. She is a dark horse candidate for the most horrifying nominee ever.

She was a Scott Walker disciple in Wisconsin and has a terrible greatest hits list.

- Ruled that customers have no right to appeal or be reimbursed for being wrongfully charged thousands of dollars by Time Warner Cable because they entered into a voluntary contract to pay whatever the company decides for a service.

- Ruled that anti-gay organizations are entitled to federal funds, even when they violate the 14th amendment and federal anti-discrimination laws, because being gay is not "an intrinsic part of a person" and denying taxpayer money to anti-gay groups is a violation of free speech because they were condemning gay conduct rather than gay people, since gay people cannot actually exist as a class under the law.

- Ruled that a non-English speaking person can be jailed and is ineligible to appeal the case because he waived his rights to the police without a translator present. The fact that he did not speak English does not change the fact that he agreed to the statement to waive his rights in English.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Btw, the republican alternative to the ACA is "gently caress You, Die In The Street If You Can't Afford It! We Can? What? You Can't Because Globalism Took Your Factory Job Away? DIE! Die, And Decrease The Surplus Population!"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Could a president be impeached for leaking state secrets?

Also, what newspapers do you guys recommend subscribing to?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bernie Sanders is now the "Chair of Outreach" for the Senate Democrats, and also the top Democrat (even though he's technically still serving as an independent Senator) on the Senate Budget Committee. Elizabeth Warren is Vice Chair of Outreach.

These "Outreach" chairs are new positions and I'm guessing it basically stands for being Chair of the "Please Save Us, Bernie!" program.

Covok
May 27, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

A little known newspaper called "Briebet." It is the only newspaper legally allowed to be read in Trump's America. Reading any other newspaper is punishable by death according to the Banon laws of the Trump administration.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Harrow posted:

Bernie Sanders is now the "Chair of Outreach" for the Senate Democrats, and also the top Democrat (even though he's technically still serving as an independent Senator) on the Senate Budget Committee. Elizabeth Warren is Vice Chair of Outreach.

These "Outreach" chairs are new positions and I'm guessing it basically stands for being Chair of the "Please Save Us, Bernie!" program.

I'd rather see Bernie head the DSCC. Very worried about who that is going to be.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

A president can be impeached for blowing his nose. The Constitution does not define "high crimes and misdemeanors."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SeANMcBAY posted:

A President can be impeached for any reason. The Constitution doesn't require that you actually charge them with any specific crime.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

If you want a physical newspaper, the Washington Post has done better political reporting this cycle than the New York Times, I think.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A President can be impeached for any reason. The Constitution doesn't require that you actually charge them with any specific crime.

Impeachment is not going to be the way to go to stop Trump.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Condiv posted:

:laffo: at the centrists going "buh... buh... but the voters!" over the patriot act of all things. you know why people don't turnout? it's cause you're all too scared to actually stand for anything

look if you believe there is any facet of the US government more widely beloved than the NSA and TSA, you're just out of touch with the American people, man

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mcmagic posted:

Impeachment is not going to be the way to go to stop Trump.

I agree, I was just answering the guy's question about what is required for impeachment.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Really America? A national registry? Really ?? You're really going allow them to place the groundwork for an actual nazi style registry and database? Really?

Like, isn't that one of those things that is so dangerous people ought to completely swamp the streets in protest over it?!

Isn't this like one of those things that crosses a line so red that it basically is the first step to ending American ideals as a concept?!

Like, I'm not naive, obviously the NSA and FBI already keep a list of some sort, but the fact that it's so blatant and in your face and that people will take it sitting down is really frightening.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 16, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Al-Saqr posted:

Really America? A national registry? Really ?? You're really going allow them to place the groundwork for an actual nazi style registry and database? Really?

Isn't this like one of those things that crosses a line so red that it basically is the first step to ending American ideals as a concept?!

Nah, you just call it an extremist registry and insist that it is because they are terrorists and not because they are Muslim.

Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim.

Boom. 55% support for it.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Like, isn't that one of those things that is so dangerous people ought to completely swamp the streets in protest over it?!

Like, I'm not naive, obviously the NSA and FBI already keep a list of some sort, but the fact that it's so blatant and in your face and that people will take it sitting down is really frightening.

Hey, Trump isn't even in office yet give it some time.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Where did you get this?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Where did you get this?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/repeal-and-delay-the-republican-plan-to-destroy-obamacare.html

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ha, you think Americans have ideal. Americans are simply a collection of neurons, muscles, and chemicals which undergo action/reaction responses to outside stimuli.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

I know people who are against a gun registry database "because 2nd Amendment" who will gladly take this poo poo lying down because they don't think the 1st Amendment is as important (at least, I'd assume a registry that specifically applies to only one religion would violate the 1st Amendment in theory). It's sickening.

Of course since this only seems to apply to immigrants I guess the Constitution doesn't protect them :smith:

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Quorum posted:

Friend, saying "this is the primary problem, all others are secondary" inherently minimizes them, which we cannot do.

:allears: I'm a contact period and early-colonial period historian, tell me more about how I'm "extremely ignorant" of history. Economic factors have always been key, and divide-and-rule was the original reason for creating the distinction between indentured servitude and slavery. But the point is that modern racism has long since become independent of that calculating decision; it is now its own force, which while closely related with economic injustice, is also not caused by it.

You seriously just said that yes divide and rule was the original reason for creating white privilege but then say it's not the cause of it... You do realize that is a direct contradiction. I agree that racism has become so ingrained in our culture that simply eliminating economic inequity will not instantly eradicate it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is in fact economic inequity is in fact the original cause of it.

Also you are fooling yourself if you think for a moment that racism has "long since become independent of that calculating decision" they didn't call it "the southern strategy" because it was incidental to their strategy., Republican's don't sound the dog whistles at the highest volume out of ignorance. It drat well is still a huge part of their strategy of control just see this election where Trump and his supporters ran on an almost pure nativist platform which is deeply rooted in racism.

Quorum posted:

I am not advocating for ignoring economic imbalances, literally the opposite, why fall back on attacking that point? Literally my entire argument is that you cannot reduce pluralism or economic justice to a sub-plank of the other because that will inevitably lead to failure.

The problem is that is literally what the establishment Democratic policy has been doing at least since Clinton, pay lip service to minority causes to get the bleeding heart and minority votes, while supporting policies that encourage and even worsen economic inequity.

Also your initial argument works both ways if you believe it. By focusing primarily on "identity" politics the Democrats have been inherently minimizing the significance of the economic inequities. Further it creates additional divides inside the left as each micro-interest group jockeys and competes for attention and taking umbrage when they feel that their grievances are taking a back seat to the grievances of another minority group because in the end the most important cause for anyone is the one that affects them the most directly.

While I totally get that, the political reality is that the enemy (I was going to say the rich and powerful but realized that was redundant) can not be defeated by a divided left, the left needs to be united and as long as each interest group are fighting amongst themselves for the focus of the movement we're going to continue to lose.

It's called divide and conquer for a reason, look in this thread at the infighting between the different factions each pointing fingers and trying to assign blame to different out groups. "it was the black people not showing up" "It was white women not voting their interest" "it was the Berniebro's attacking Clinton" etc etc ad infinitum.

Also I am in no way calling for ignoring or minimizing social inequities and injustice, however one does need to prioritize. Our true enemy, the enemy of all including oppressed minorities are the rich , the powerful who use that power to keep us all fighting amongst ourselves for the scraps they allow to fall from their table of plenty. To achieve lasting progress on social justice that enemy has to be defeated and we'll never be able to do it as long as we're bickering among ourselves.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'm going to say it, every member of the Jewish American community who lets this registry happen without resistance or immediate condemnation because of trumps support of Israel really ought to hang themselves in loving shame. Because they're easily going to be next if this type of precendent happens.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

I really don't think this will happen.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm going to say it, every Jewish American person who lets this registry happen without resistance because of trumps support of Israel really ought to hang themselves in loving shame.

Jewish people tend to vote Democrat, so don't start getting weird about that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

Jewish people tend to vote Democrat, so don't start getting weird about that.

I'm talking about shitbags like David Horowitz.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm talking about shitbags like David Horowitz.

Jewish conservatives have been OK with the apartheid state in Israel for a while now. No big shock that they think the model could work in the USA, too.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Israel is all onboard as they are already moving to legalize the illegal settlements built on Palestinian land under the Trump administration. I think they figure since his daughter and grandchildren are Jewish he is going to be a stalwart ally.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Wow, that went from 0 to anti-semitic surprisingly fast.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

How is calling hypocrites like David Horowitz complete assholes anti Semitic? What it's anti Semitic to point out the loving dangerous precedent he's helping support right now and how it will be an extreme danger to all minorities?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mcmagic posted:

I really don't think this will happen.

On what basis?

On one hand, I read Trump's campaign promises. On the other?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Perhaps to posters sitting on the sidelines waiting to jump on any "no, you're the racist because..." opportunity that presents itself.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Potato Salad posted:

On what basis?

On one hand, I read Trump's campaign promises. On the other?

Senate filibuster, courts, 1st, 4th, and 5th amendments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Israel is not Judaism, try again.

• Locked thread