Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Zero One posted:

How can I hire college kids at minimum wage for my park?

Build it and they'll come.

Works for almost everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

Doh004 posted:

The beta is drastically different from the Alpha.

I'm discussing Parkitect which is in Alpha right now.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Planet Coaster just pushed a 2.2GB update on Steam with no accompanying post, is that the final release or are they just squeezing in one more beta update before the full game launches?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Was wondering the same.

I also kind of miss the old RCT3 bit where you can make buildings, facades, rides, &c. and then load them in to your actual, live park.

I suppose I could create a save game just for that purpose and save them as blueprints.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

Beta Update 6

Oh yes, you read that right... another patch has been released fellow coaster fans! This update is about 2.3GB, so ready those internet-pipes.

Below are the changes.

Stability improvements.
Audio mix pass.
Tuned texture streaming system.

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated and welcome!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I played the first scenario (pirate land) and it was easy to get the gold 3 stars on it. Loaded up the second scenario and am constantly broke and hemorrhaging money and I don't know what I did differently to be spending so much. I didn't even get to build a coaster before I was in the negative. Had to take out a loan to buy trash bins because my park was littered in garbage after 20 minutes of playing.

Love this game. Played RCT1 & 2 for hundreds of hours, didn't have a great computer to really enjoy RCT3 and mostly didn't care for the 3d rendering stuff, but I adore this game so far.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
How did you get the second scenario to unlock? I completed all the objectives on the first pirate scenario but the second one is still locked for me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mister Bates posted:

How did you get the second scenario to unlock? I completed all the objectives on the first pirate scenario but the second one is still locked for me.

I think he's talking about the second set of missions, that take place in the desert with the monolith. I think everything else will be locked until release.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I really like the bit at the end of the launch trailer where the guy gives the creation over to the lady. :3:

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The monolith scenario is designed to be fiscally challenging. You have a huge loan drawing equally large monthly payments and what rides you start with are constantly breaking (I think it might also apply the low reliability to new rides).

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

HopperUK posted:

I really like the bit at the end of the launch trailer where the guy gives the creation over to the lady. :3:

For some weird reason, this brought a tear to my eye. It happened when the lady sat down and looked at the camera for a second. Pretty good stuff.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That trailer works because it feels like it was put together by people who "get" what a theme park, and by proxy a theme park simulator, can make you feel like.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Good Dog posted:

I played the first scenario (pirate land) and it was easy to get the gold 3 stars on it. Loaded up the second scenario and am constantly broke and hemorrhaging money and I don't know what I did differently to be spending so much. I didn't even get to build a coaster before I was in the negative. Had to take out a loan to buy trash bins because my park was littered in garbage after 20 minutes of playing.

Love this game. Played RCT1 & 2 for hundreds of hours, didn't have a great computer to really enjoy RCT3 and mostly didn't care for the 3d rendering stuff, but I adore this game so far.

More debt is the answer. Take a ton of debt originally and you can balloon your earnings.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I've been following the development of Planet Coaster for a while now and I've been getting a huge Cities: Skylines vibe from it:

* Beautiful graphics
* Ridiculous level of customisation
* A management sim as shallow as a piss in a car park

I'm just not sure I can bring myself to buy it just yet because I know the lack of financial challenge will bother me and I'll probably spend several hours tweaking the RGB values of a bench. I hope to hear some good news about the money side of things.

I will deffo buy it when people have been filling out the workshop for a while though. I reckon the thing I will enjoy most is downloading other people's parks and exploring them :allears:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Arcland posted:

More debt is the answer. Take a ton of debt originally and you can balloon your earnings.

Pretty much. Take out the other loans to get a ton more cash, reduce your payments per month, and build a a coaster that people love. Get a mechanic dedicated to it, and you'll still be making a ton of cash even with breakdowns as long as the mechanic sticks to it. My trick was getting work rosters with two rides rather close and setting inspection times to ten minutes, it kept the rides up more often than not. Every time they broke down the mechanic was nearby to get it sorted.

On a completely random note, I want to share a tidbit of information I learned. Employees can ride transport rides to get to other sections of your park. I had a a section that you could only get to by train, then hired a janitor to keep it clean. I later found him wandering the main area of the park.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I kinda wish they'd make scenery a little bit cheaper in Challenge Mode. I'm having to leave most of my park barren and gradually backfill it with scenery as I save up extra cash, because making the building facades and rock formations and stuff I want is going to cost as much money as building an entire coaster would.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

People keep saying PlanCo has shallow management, but how is it shallow compared to the Roller Coaster Tycoon series? You've got staff management, you've got income from admission/rides/concessions, research, loans, dealing with customer happiness. What is it missing that RCT had? Maybe I'm forgetting something that the RCT series had, I haven't really played it extensively in many, many years.

I guess it lacks some quality of life stuff like being able to set prices of every shop of a given type in one click, but all it really seems to be missing is a shitton of challenging scenarios. Maybe some economic balancing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

People keep saying PlanCo has shallow management, but how is it shallow compared to the Roller Coaster Tycoon series? You've got staff management, you've got income from admission/rides/concessions, research, loans, dealing with customer happiness. What is it missing that RCT had? Maybe I'm forgetting something that the RCT series had, I haven't really played it extensively in many, many years.

Well in PlanCo's defense, RCT was pretty shallow. I can't speak for 2 or 3, but in RCT1 there were a whole bunch of "correct" financial decisions, like Always Advertise, Always charge per ride, Always take out gigantic loans, etc. Also the guests all had the same threshold for what they considered affordable, so as soon as your £5.40 coaster stopped taking guests you could drop it to £5.30 and they'd all come flooding back.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well in PlanCo's defense, RCT was pretty shallow. I can't speak for 2 or 3, but in RCT1 there were a whole bunch of "correct" financial decisions, like Always Advertise, Always charge per ride, Always take out gigantic loans, etc. Also the guests all had the same threshold for what they considered affordable, so as soon as your £5.40 coaster stopped taking guests you could drop it to £5.30 and they'd all come flooding back.

I'm noticing less of the 'perfect pricing' in Planet Coaster. Sometimes, the top two thoughts for one of my rides is 'Wow, this is so cheap!' mixed with 'Wow, I'm not spending that much to go on this ride'. So I suppose it's been fun finding the right mix of prices. Sometimes shops and facitiles make little in a month, sometimes they make a lot, but I'm starting to make better use of 'missed sales' to mean I should train my vendor so they can serve people faster. I don't think the management is very shallow, at least.

Mister Bates posted:

I kinda wish they'd make scenery a little bit cheaper in Challenge Mode. I'm having to leave most of my park barren and gradually backfill it with scenery as I save up extra cash, because making the building facades and rock formations and stuff I want is going to cost as much money as building an entire coaster would.
I have no idea how you have this problem, my challenge park is comfortably sitting at $100,000 that I have no idea how to spend. Admittedly, this was mostly gotten before the re-balance patch. I'd say start with flat rides with some simple scenery, and some shops, take out a loan for a big coaster, then after building it, open it up and fill in the scenery as the coaster makes you money.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I'm sure there's a RCT flowchart that always ends in "build another shuttle loop".

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm building my first PC in, like, 15 years in no small part due to this game.

Glad to hear that, at minimum, it isn't a pile of poo poo (looking at you RCTW).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Oh lord the monolith mission is annoying. The rides break down way too quick. Even with mechanics assigned to zones, 2 or 3 rides will break down in a short period of time, making the whole thing a headache.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I've been following the development of Planet Coaster for a while now and I've been getting a huge Cities: Skylines vibe from it:

* Beautiful graphics
* Ridiculous level of customisation
* A management sim as shallow as a piss in a car park

I'm just not sure I can bring myself to buy it just yet because I know the lack of financial challenge will bother me and I'll probably spend several hours tweaking the RGB values of a bench. I hope to hear some good news about the money side of things.

I will deffo buy it when people have been filling out the workshop for a while though. I reckon the thing I will enjoy most is downloading other people's parks and exploring them :allears:

I don't think the management is "as shallow as a piss in a car park". My thoughts on the management simulation side:

1. Most of the financial and management features were brought into alpha 3 and beta (some were around from the start, but obfuscated). This, accompanied with the extensive creative options the game gives led many people to think that the game was very shallow on that side.

2. The simulation in the game is very deep as far as your parkmaking affects the guests and your overall profitability of your park. It is also heavily visualized though. Frontier decided to bake into the guest brain some of those effects as animations, and instead of throwing speech bubbles around the game lets you simply zoom in and see how the guests are doing and feeling in real time, thus identifying potential problems with your park. All guests are complete agents, nothing is abstracted. This leads to some interesting conundrums as far as park congestion, staff allocation/patrols, placement of scenery as a profitability boosts for multiple earning spots etc are concerned.
At the same time, this means less spreadsheets and numbers to directly view and crunch. This may give to some the impression of shallower management gameplay.

3. The current management simulation needs some QoL tweaks for micromanagement, as well as some balancing passes. Both affect how players view the overall simulation.

4. The game is poised to come out with 12 campaign scenarios (some of them pretty hard), and three challenge mode difficulties on 5 different map types. To boost management gameplay Frontier has to release more scenarios after launch, and also give us the opportunity to make our own scenarios and maps, and share them via the workshop. This will add a lot to the games' longevity imo. The good thing is that they seem to be listening to what the community wants, so I hope that bring those features in, sooner rather than later.

5. In the end, this is a theme park game. The RCT games were never dwarf fortress or prison architect or Capitalism II or Harpoon Classic etc etc, those games always tended to depend on the creative aspects of making your park, as opposed to normalizing imagination through heavy-handed and repeatable management design tenets. I do think that Frontier has a lot more that they can do to make the game a true CMS, but I also think they are on a good path already.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zero One posted:

How can I hire college kids at minimum wage for my park?

You should be able to pay your workers in beer to get them to test-ride your deathtraps.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dali Parton posted:

Oh lord the monolith mission is annoying. The rides break down way too quick. Even with mechanics assigned to zones, 2 or 3 rides will break down in a short period of time, making the whole thing a headache.

I had 2 mechanics assigned to 3 flat rides (each of them taking 2 on their roster), with every ride on 10 minute inspections and they still broke down an awful lot. They key for me was shop income, since they don't break down. Two big shopping plazas/food courts and ATMs everywhere with inflated prices, until I had enough to build a decent coaster.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 17, 2016

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Looking at the workshop, it does not seem to support "real" modding, i.e. no new assets/props?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

GhostDog posted:

Looking at the workshop, it does not seem to support "real" modding, i.e. no new assets/props?

All assets in the workshop are constructed via the in-game building process. At least for now, the game does not have custom modding, only "UGC in the box".

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah that is the one thing RCTW has over PC.

Although I believe the first custom asset added to RCTW was Chief Beef. :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Well it's out. 1.0 patch is ~400 megs. All the scenarios are ready to play. Some bug fixes and stuff but I think that's it. I won't have time to check until later on, but I hope they integrated some more prefabs.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

And the game is live. Grab it if you have it.

It’s here! Planet Coaster has officially launched!

Today, on November 17, 2016, Planet Coaster is officially released! Adding to the beta update earlier this week, the released game comes with all 12 Scenarios and more general balancing and fixes, as well as Steam Achievements and Trading Cards.

We’ve hit so many milestones over the past months, and it’s been a long way from concept to finish, so let’s quickly recap some of the highlights:

At the heart of the game are the park guests. Everything you do, whether it’s management or creativity-based, now has an impact on each individual crowd member. Each of them have their own simulated preferences and needs to ultimately affect gameplay, and new, advanced crowd simulation and path-finding algorithms help with the logistics of guest flow around your park.

Authenticity is key – a huge amount of research and development went into all aspects of the game, something especially noticeable in coasters. For example, the system which automatically designs the correct support structures for wooden and hybrid coaster had to be built with a new rendering pipeline, with so many pieces being on screen at once.

In fact the attention to detail and development effort that goes into each ride, coaster, guest and scenery piece from a technical, visual and audio point of view is an order of magnitude more than any previous coaster park game we’ve worked on.

Piece-by-piece construction gives you the opportunity to build anything and everything you’ve ever dreamed of. Change your parks by theming your areas, create buildings in every style, or add (animated) scenery and customised audio to entertain your guests and up your park and scenery ratings. The unprecedented control and customisation means that you can truly get super creative or be more focused on sophisticated finance and management; whatever suits you as an individual player.

The technology underpinning the game is both advanced and highly useable. The 3D voxel landscape gives terrain that’s completely in your control, the lighting engine ensures that everything you create in your park instantly becomes a seamless part of the whole dynamic lighting environment, and you can now create your own dark rides with full creative control of triggering ride events, lights and audio.

Every single aspect and element of Planet Coaster has been carefully selected and designed to work in conjunction with every other one as an integrated whole.

The tight integration with Steam Workshop has a front end that puts your friends to the fore. It enables creators to share and receive credit for their original designs, and also allows those of us who want to use these fantastic creations to download that content and enhance their parks with those existing blueprints.

It has been a fantastic experience for us at Frontier to have the opportunity to create a new game which we hope sets a new quality bar for a genre loved by so many people – no team could have been better suited to the task or more passionate. It’s taken a blend of the team’s expertise and experience, talent, and deep connection with the community; and for that we must thank you all.
First and foremost, we want to thank the developers for their incredible hard work, passion, and dedication to the project. Everyone at Frontier has contributed to Planet Coaster in one way or another; a true team effort and shared love for the game from the start. Programmers, animators, producers, sound team, designers, artists, QA, publishing team, engine wizards, support team, video editors, and all you other experts: you’re awesome, well done. #FrontierFam

We also want to give a massive shoutout to our forum mods, content creators, and master builders. Thank you for keeping the community an overwhelmingly positive place, where everyone has a voice but no one feels unwelcome. Thank you for making videos or streaming the game, showing it off to your viewers, and spreading the word across your community. Thank you for challenging yourselves and creating the most intricate buildings, for using shapes and items in ways even the devs couldn’t have thought of, and for pushing your creativity to the limit.

Last but not least: thank you. Thanks to every single member of this amazing community for your ongoing support, invaluable feedback, and enthusiasm about Planet Coaster. In the end, this game is for you, the players. You have helped shape the game in so many ways, inspired the devs with your ideas and suggestions, and humbled us with your shared passion for the game. We are honoured to have a community like this one. So thank you for joining us on this crazy and ever-evolving rollercoaster ride!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Cool videos showing how they recorded the authentic sounds for the game-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGYhbuS8Nzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-LKZHJHiG4

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It looks pretty as hell and if it has management at least as much as RCT 1 + 2 then that's good enough.

Alright take my money dammit.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Also, a pretty cool first review! 70/100!

http://www.pcgamer.com/planet-coaster-review/

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 17, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dante80 posted:

quote:

The paths are real fussbudgets too. Every ride needs an entrance queue and an exit, both connected to the main path, and more than once I've designed a coaster only to realise the fiddly queue won't connect and I need to go back and edit the original path again.

whatta scrub

quote:

Regular error messages say toilets are inaccessible from the main entrance path if I do anything slightly unusual with their placement, even though guests use them just fine.

that could get annoying though but I assume that's something that will get ironed out and I'm still gonna buy the game anyway bc it looks awesome.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Was it a pre built bathroom? They have entrances on both sides; if the reviewer put it next to the path, the other side probably has no path to it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The difficulty in making large plazas remains my largest bugbear about the game.

Eagerly awaiting the workshop to fill up with props and shops since I'm overwhelmed by the choices.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The difficulty in making large plazas remains my largest bugbear about the game.

Eagerly awaiting the workshop to fill up with props and shops since I'm overwhelmed by the choices.

Do the people still get confused when there is a large plaza making small width pathways the optimal thing to do?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
To make large plazas you have to switch to grid mode. Which bears its own limitations like being elevation locked and connecting a grid mode path to a freeform path can be wonky at times.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Dante80 posted:

If this got a 70, RCTW has to get like a 30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Someone please make THE DEVASTATOR from Mr Show