Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
To harp on education a little more, if we didn't sanitize history in middle and high schools and actually taught people true history (with all the warts and bullshit it involves) we may help people as a whole avoid making the same goddamn mistakes. One of my foundational experiences was finding out how much FDR, who was and continues to be my hero, is seriously sanitized by high school history in my area. He did a whole lot of shady poo poo to save the country and it's never talked about that hard choices have to be made that people get pissed off about.

History is messy as gently caress and we need to learn those lessons in school and early so they stick. There's no point in sheltering kids from this fundamental truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Xelkelvos posted:

I have that book, and while the main ideas are right, some of the details are garbage like the East Asian discovery of the Americas being a legitimate theory that's being ignored rather than some fringe thing. Haven't read it in a while though.

Uh which one is that particularly? I am pretty sure the first people to discover America coming over from Asia and it's not a particularly controversial theory.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Feeling pretty good about the direction the dems are going in. Real shame that it took the specter of orange apocalypse to get them moving in this direction but I'll take it over them not changing.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

The Puppet Master posted:

it already did and it is called 2016

You are definitely right but I"m afraid that poo poo's gonna get even worse unless we do something about it

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Schumer is not going to save us

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

we really need to accept the reality that automation is going to render most jobs obsolete and most working hours as unnecessary

we are in a terribly uncomfortable transition period which can only go so many ways. One way towards people fighting over as many bullshit jobs as possible to construct enough income for a reasonable living. Another is to face to reality that initiatives like Universal Basic Income will be a necessity

i hope to live long enough to see the rich dragged screaming from their homes and hung from the nearest streetpoles

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

:bernpop:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

we really need to accept the reality that automation is going to render most jobs obsolete and most working hours as unnecessary

we are in a terribly uncomfortable transition period which can only go so many ways. One way towards people fighting over as many bullshit jobs as possible to construct enough income for a reasonable living. Another is to face to reality that initiatives like Universal Basic Income will be a necessity

We just need that squabbling over jobs at the low-income/low-skill level to extend into higher incomes to a point where even executive experience wouldn't amount to poo poo. Only then might we see a break towards a UBI or a MINcome. Kinda like how people care about heroin addiction when it started visibly affecting white people and the middle class.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 23 days!)

Lord of Pie posted:

My dorkass governor is trying to push computer programming super hard in high schools like that will magically make businesses relocate to loving Arkansas.

IMO they'd be better off making sure that kids graduate high school actually knowing the reading and math and poo poo they're supposed to know so they don't have to blow a year or two on remedial poo poo if they go to college. Then they can do what they actually want to do.

Quiet, moran. You wanna scare away all that SV speculative capital?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Unironically this

This seems like it would be a disaster by itself without other changes, considering individual purchasing power is already so low compared to what it used to be (largely driven by the rapid rise in price of fundamentals like food, housing, and required education) and how much pressure there already is to automate.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Nov 16, 2016

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
They seem like they're moving in the right direction but I'll remain skeptical until they start taking local politics seriously again. I'm not even that mad about the presidential race. Them treating the White House like the Alamo was inevitably going to blow up in their face. What really pisses me off is them ceding all the state legislatures and governorships in the idiotic pursuit of holding the WH forever, because those don't matter right?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

Schumer is not going to save us

I don't think there's a single person on Earth that believes he will.:ssh:

He can play a valuable role in loving with Trump and the GOP though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So what is Bernie going to tell us in his speech tonight? How we all collectively failed him and don't deserve his pity?

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Another is to face to reality that initiatives like Universal Basic Income will be a necessity

When I have time I think I will make an effort thread about left accelerationism (which is about using current political, institutional, cultural, and technological platforms to move beyond capitalism), full automation, the necessity of UBI, and post-work realities.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Uh which one is that particularly? I am pretty sure the first people to discover America coming over from Asia and it's not a particularly controversial theory.

Not regarding the land migration across the Bering, but the book references stuff from Gavin Menzies and another about Polynesian contact based on myths about meeting that are very similar.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

it would be cool if bernie walked out with hillary's head imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Feeling pretty good about the direction the dems are going in. Real shame that it took the specter of orange apocalypse to get them moving in this direction but I'll take it over them not changing.

Making Bernie do outreach and Keith Ellison the likely chair is good and all, but it won't address the ideological & organizational problems underpinning the way the Democratic party operates. We still need a massive reorganization, new staff, new candidates who actually believe in the populist direction the party needs to go. We also need rank & file to quit accepting as a necessity, the corruption which hamstrung the DNC & Clinton's campaign or the tendency to excuse it away as a "nothingburger."

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

I prefer UBI to more bullshit jobs, because UBI is elegant and efficient. "You exist, here's your money to keep existing" versus "we need to keep making up bullshit jobs and pretending they're valuable." Also UBI might help knock some sense into the mindless exaltation of work and suffering too.

Maybe silicon valley might stop bragplaining about 100 hour workweeks then which I think is a good thing for all of us because good god nobody wants to hear those guys.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Clearly what we really need to push for is more people to get educated in and then become involved in politics.

Civic education focused on the expectation that a significant number of us should at least be trying our hand at it, instead of sending all our best to other fields and leaving us with the politicians we often have to choose from instead.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Instant Sunrise posted:

also with manufacturing, a lot of it has been moved to right to work states in the south and out of the rust belt.

speaking of right to work, one of the first items on the new-new democrats agenda should be to abolish that poo poo nation wide

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

MJ12 posted:

I prefer UBI to more bullshit jobs, because UBI is elegant and efficient. "You exist, here's your money to keep existing" versus "we need to keep making up bullshit jobs and pretending they're valuable." Also UBI might help knock some sense into the mindless exaltation of work and suffering too.

Maybe silicon valley might stop bragplaining about 100 hour workweeks then which I think is a good thing for all of us because good god nobody wants to hear those guys.

There's a lot of poo poo we absolutely need production capacity for that we aren't doing and absolutely need to be doing though. A dedicated, government-led Carbon Capture industry could be an incredible make-work program with actual real benefits for the planet as a whole.

It would be expensive, but when you're spending the money employing Americans to make things better it's not exactly wasted money, right?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

There's a lot of poo poo we absolutely need production capacity for that we aren't doing and absolutely need to be doing though. A dedicated, government-led Carbon Capture industry could be an incredible make-work program with actual real benefits for the planet as a whole.

It would be expensive, but when you're spending the money employing Americans to make things better it's not exactly wasted money, right?

Sure. But there's a difference between 'jobs we need to pay people to do because they need to be done and we aren't doing them' and 'jobs for the sake of employment.'

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

it would be cool if bernie walked out with hillary's head imo

IMO nothing will change until we sacrifice DWS and Dean upon the progressives' altar, as the roads turn red with the blood of hedge fund managers and loan underwriters, as we hear the screams in the night, calling out for justice and Harambe.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Chuck Schumer will gleefully jump aboard for full Communism if he thinks that is where the political winds are blowing. As said above, the meaning of his stance doesn't really have anything to do with him specifically but rather that the party seems to understand that the election represents the end of the Clinton democrats .

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

I didn't go to college lol

IT is one of the final bastions of well paying jobs that are:
-In demand
-Dosen't require a college education
-Pays well

Which is probably why it is full of Libertarians.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

We already do all sorts of things through political economy that are of no real economic benefit whatsoever. Defense manufacturing is mostly wasted for instance, because you can't repurpose an Abrams or an F-15 for civilian use. We do it because it's strategically necessary, so why not also seek to convert the energy grid to renewables or control pollution? The assumption that we can't do anything which won't generate a profit is killing us.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I was looking up that Louis CK comment from Conan a couple of weeks before the election and drat, I hadn't realized how hard in the tank he was for Clinton. There's a bunch of stuff out there from throughout the election season. But I'll stick to the one I was looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFOkBnYGfIM

Louis CK posted:

"To me, it's really exciting to have the first mother in the White House," C.K. said. "It's not about the first woman, it's about the first mom." "What is it about a mom?" Conan asked. "Because a mother, she's got it," C.K. said. "A mother just does it. She feeds you and teaches you, she protects you, she takes care of poo poo. A father — we've had 240 years of fathers," he said. "And fathers are okay — I'm a father, you're a dad, you're a dad. A great father can give a kid 40 percent of his needs, tops." Any lousy mother, he added, "like just a not-even-trying mother, 200 percent."
So this is my feeling overall: I think if you vote for Hillary you're a grownup; if you vote for Trump you're a sucker; if you don't vote for anyone, you're an rear end in a top hat."

"Vote for Hillary if you know what's best" is the mindset that gave us Trump.

Also I'm not an MRA at all but that father/mother comment is pretty gross too.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

MJ12 posted:

There are some contemporary leftist philosopher I really admire who are thinking how to redefine the culture around work. That future society absolutely needs to have a different approach towards labor, hours of work, work ethic, and productivity in order to adapt to the coming automation revolution. This kind of thinking or rethink is actually the basis of my work at the moment.

There was this great tweet of states that have Truck Drivers as their #1 job combined with fact that automated trucking is just around the bend. Does anyone have that on hand?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

To be fair, we could just transfer a lot of the military manufacturing jobs to alternative products for the civil good rather than for tanks that wont be deployed or aircraft that wont see flight and such, but lol Military-Indsutrial complex

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

GlyphGryph posted:

This, and also some kind of return of the CCC. Our infrastructure gets Ds and Fs across the board by civil engineering surveys. Like, hundreds if not thousands of bridges are supposed to start crumbling in the next few decades iirc.

And don't get me started on the potholes folks! :rimshot:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

GlyphGryph posted:

Clearly what we really need to push for is more people to get educated in and then become involved in politics.

Civic education focused on the expectation that a significant number of us should at least be trying our hand at it, instead of sending all our best to other fields and leaving us with the politicians we often have to choose from instead.

posts like this make me want to quit what i do and get into politics but im prob gonna at least wait until i (almost certainly) move next fall

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

Thoguh posted:

I was looking up that Louis CK comment from Conan a couple of weeks before the election and drat, I hadn't realized how hard in the tank he was for Clinton. There's a bunch of stuff out there from throughout the election season. But I'll stick to the one I was looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFOkBnYGfIM

"Vote for Hillary if you know what's best" is the mindset that gave us Trump.

If you ever type the words 'I'm not an MRA but', I'd suggest just deleting your post instead.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoguh posted:

It's biotruths as feminism. Mothers are just, you know, naturally not fathers.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
also is the current thread title a joke based on The Aristocrats! because that's what it reads as

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Captain_Maclaine posted:

No, though he came close and if he hadn't blown off an interview might have gotten in after all.
loving Typical Centennial :argh:

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

There are some contemporary leftist philosophers I really admire who are thinking how to redefine the culture around work. That future society absolutely needs to have a different approach towards labor, hours of work, work ethic, and productivity in order to adapt to the coming automation revolution. This kind of thinking or rethink is actually the basis of my work at the moment.

There was this great tweet of states that have Truck Drivers as their #1 job combined with fact that automated trucking is just around the bend. Does anyone have that on hand?

found it

https://twitter.com/griph/status/796539192721506304

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

the issue is not that america does not manufacture, its that less jobs are needed to do so

Good point.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i still think about all those weird rear end emails from the DNC that were just people telling each other to gently caress off, and get hosed, etc. legit all those people are human garbage just on a personal level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Gringostar posted:

speaking of right to work, one of the first items on the new-new democrats agenda should be to abolish that poo poo nation wide

just to be clear, you mean "right to work" as in laws banning union shops, not "right to work" as in "actually at-will employment but gets confused with right to work."

• Locked thread