Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is there a CSPAM thread where I can bitch about how my wife's mother is a dumb religious zealot that reads Breitbart?

Edit: also ed balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Is it actually impossible to do manufacturing in the US nowadays? I assume the primary problem is that countries with no worker protection laws, minimum wages, etc, can produce products for far cheaper by spending less on labor. The only way I could see to "fix" this problem would be to impose tariffs on products from countries where this occurs, with the promise to lift said tariffs when said countries enact worker protections, but that only helps native industries compete within the country, not internationally.

Also this causes trade wars, doesn't it?

Tell me why I'm and idiot and how economics is bullshit black magic.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

Is there a CSPAM thread where I can bitch about how my wife's mother is a dumb religious zealot that reads Breitbart?

Anyone who posts a thread like that, historically, has been tragically murdered by Hillary Clinton in a US embassy, so pls stay safe if u post it :ohdear:

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

can everyone shut up about STEM now?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

I'm totally OK with a dude who knows Senate rules like the back of his hand running the Democratic opposition at this point. We're going to need to pull every loving obscure rule and trick out of the closet to even pose as a speed bump to Republicans at this point. I want to see Schumer super-gluing pennies to the goddamn floor and pulling out the script to the mothballed Home Alone TV series for prank ideas.

Yup. Institutional knowledge is an extremely valuable thing, and it's absolutely what the Dems need right now. Schumer said he would try to use the filibuster sparingly; I expect that means he's going to pull enough procedural tricks that it won't even come to the filibuster.

Time for McConnell to get a taste of his own medicine.:getin:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mordiceius posted:

There's always the chat thread, yo.

Concordat posted:

Is it actually impossible to do manufacturing in the US nowadays? I assume the primary problem is that countries with no worker protection laws, minimum wages, etc, can produce products for far cheaper by spending less on labor. The only way I could see to "fix" this problem would be to impose tariffs on products from countries where this occurs, with the promise to lift said tariffs when said countries enact worker protections, but that only helps native industries compete within the country, not internationally.

We actually still manufacture a lot in this country, it's just that a lot of what remains is much more automated than it was during the heyday of labor-intensive manufacturing. I mean yeah there's not a lot of incentives for amoral shitbag fuckers companies to build more here when they can go to places with weaker/non-existent labor protections or wage requirements, but it's not like we don't still make a lot of stuff here.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Concordat posted:

the issue is not that america does not manufacture, its that less jobs are needed to do so

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Concordat posted:

Yea this is gonna be like where donald trump invents obamacare again by starting from "pre-existing conditions are ok" and having to use a mandate to pay for the higher cost to insure said ppl, and then having to use a subsidy to justify the mandate,

except with cspam deriving Maoist-third-worldism again after concluding that free capitalist trade is incompatibile with global human rights :getin:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Concordat posted:

Germany does plenty of manufacturing
They also have very strong union traditions

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Al! posted:

hitler

Didn't Hitler go to art school?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

the issue is not that america does not manufacture, its that less jobs are needed to do so

I'm sure this trend will in no way have utterly catastrophic results sometime down the line

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I could imagine Schumer sees the progressive rumblings in a similar vein as the tea party movement post the 2008 election. He knows that his best bet is to get on board early and fully because we all saw what happened to establishment republicans in 2010 that tried to stand against the tea party.

But it doesn't matter what his personal motivations are or what his personal beliefs are so long as he falls in line.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MaxxBot posted:

I've always thought the "STEM shortage" was a myth pushed by Silicon Valley sociopaths who are mad they they can't pay coders 30k/yr to work for 80 hours a week. Are there any STEM fields that legitimately have a shortage of workers to fill positions?

in civil engineering it's been seen for long enough to be a path to a solidly middle class career wherever you might go that we have enough new graduates to be extremely choosey for intern/junior engineer new hires

so right now you need a masters to be picked up fresh

tho a few years experience acquired while you were still in school is almost as good so you'd better have had some time to work weird inconsistent hours and not needed to work a real job to support yourself at the same time

e: i also hear the exact same thing about electrical and aerospace is all but impossible for jobs now and lol forever at chemical since they're hiring those people as straightup chemists now apparently

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

AHungryRobot posted:

I'm sure this trend will in no way have utterly catastrophic results sometime down the line

It's only catastrophic if the capitalist class refuses to share its plenty.

So yes, it will.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

schumer really missed his calling as a creepy mortician

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ThndrShk2k posted:

Didn't Hitler go to art school?

No, though he came close and if he hadn't blown off an interview might have gotten in after all.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mordiceius posted:

I could imagine Schumer sees the progressive rumblings in a similar vein as the tea party movement post the 2008 election. He knows that his best bet is to get on board early and fully because we all saw what happened to establishment republicans in 2010 that tried to stand against the tea party.

But it doesn't matter what his personal motivations are or what his personal beliefs are so long as he falls in line.

yeah schumer jumping anoard the progressive change is a good sign regardless of his reasons for doing so. it is the most encouragong sign that progressives are the future of the party.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mordiceius posted:

Chuck Schumer: [Nite Crewishly] "Yoo duuuuudes, progressives! You guys! The best of the mess, I brought some beer fam, lets knock some back and chill innit :q:"

Democrat Thread: [Day Crewishly] "Chuck..mate....it's 10 in the morning and we're at work trying to figure out how best to lead the democrats into a progressive future."

[Schumer sulks and slinks away]

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

when you have the most popular politician in america its a good idea to use him

Bernie sanders is like the trusty, sharp and shiny tool you can always rely on, in a drawer full of lovely rusty tools that no one wants to use. And the american people have A LOT of work to do.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Captain_Maclaine posted:

No, though he came close and if he hadn't blown off an interview might have gotten in after all.

iirc the main criticism of his portfolio is that his work was technically competent but that he no inspiration whatsoever

dude could only make motel art

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MJ12 posted:

Book recommendation for all of you:

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen. It's a good read and also very very enlightening on just how hosed our history classes are. If you don't want to/can't afford to buy it, apparently archive.org has a full text copy:

https://archive.org/stream/LiesMyTeacherToldMe/Lies%20My%20Teacher%20Told%20Me_djvu.txt

I have that book, and while the main ideas are right, some of the details are garbage like the East Asian discovery of the Americas being a legitimate theory that's being ignored rather than some fringe thing. Haven't read it in a while though.

Concordat posted:

Manufacturing can and is done in the US (I work at a cosmetics manufacturer for example). You've hit part of the reason that it's not done here and that's cost. The cost spent on shipping across an ocean or two is cheaper than the labor and capital costs that would be needed here for certain products. The other is time, assuming that the product doesn't need to be used/consumed in the next several weeks. There may be other factors I'm missing like worker protections, but that's also a cost thing at the end of the day.

Lactose Is Wack posted:

can everyone shut up about STEM now?

No.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its really good to me, that bernie is going to lead outreach.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

in nite crew terms: the capitalists(mods) are hoarding all the money(grimes music videos) and won't share them (they've locked the video adding thing for non mods). if they'r enot careful everyone will revolt (leave the chat room)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

okay i've apparently posted this in the wrong thread but it still applies

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Schumer is not going to save us

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

iirc the main criticism of his portfolio is that his work was technically competent but that he no inspiration whatsoever

If he was born a decade earlier, his work would have gotten him in. Sadly modern art was the name of the game by that time period.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

They didn't think he had much of a command of human figures either, and noted he might be better suited to, say, architectural design. No wonder he and Speer got on as well as they did.

Missingnoleader posted:

If he was born a decade earlier, his work would have gotten him in. Sadly modern art was the name of the game by that time period.

It's hardly an accident that, later on, he loathed modern art and went out of his way to drive them out of Germany's art world. Many prominent German modernists had at least some of their work featured in the Entarte Kunstausstellung in 1937, which to Hitler's embarrassment was much more popular than the Große Deutsche Kunstausstellung which featured the classical stuff he liked, and which ran at the same time.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Nov 16, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Concordat posted:

I think there's a mistaken assumption here that floor workers make up the bulk of the costs of running a factory. Other considerations can trump those - America still makes an awful lot, after all, and automation has kept us quite competitive. We could conceivably produce considerably more as an alternative to just not having these jobs at all, and there's lots of reasons to do it.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Karl Barks posted:

in nite crew terms: the capitalists(mods) are hoarding all the money(grimes music videos) and won't share them (they've locked the video adding thing for non mods). if they'r enot careful everyone will revolt (leave the chat room)

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

My dorkass governor is trying to push computer programming super hard in high schools like that will magically make businesses relocate to loving Arkansas.

IMO they'd be better off making sure that kids graduate high school actually knowing the reading and math and poo poo they're supposed to know so they don't have to blow a year or two on remedial poo poo if they go to college. Then they can do what they actually want to do.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Atrocious Joe posted:

He doesn't have to save us, he just needs to get the gently caress out of the way of the people who will. And all signs point to him doing just that.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Einstein clearly went to college because he's the Marine that punched out the effete atheist liberal professor.

And I guess I can throw in my stupid two cents on the STEM/Lib Arts holy war while I'm here, since I'm a biologist and process engineer by trade. IMO you need a balance of both schools of thought to be successful. Knowing the mechanics of something without the theory leads to unimaginative work and people who can't adapt to new situations. Likewise, you can have the greatest idea in the world but if you can't execute, it ain't worth poo poo. In short, something something South Park joke. Bad post.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
also with manufacturing, a lot of it has been moved to right to work states in the south and out of the rust belt.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I have that book, and while the main ideas are right, some of the details are garbage like the East Asian discovery of the Americas being a legitimate theory that's being ignored rather than some fringe thing. Haven't read it in a while though.

Cross out that section and scribble in something about inuit/eskimo tribes crossing the Bering strait post ice age but pre European contact

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

we really need to accept the reality that automation is going to render most jobs obsolete and most working hours as unnecessary

we are in a terribly uncomfortable transition period which can only go so many ways. One way towards people fighting over as many bullshit jobs as possible to construct enough income for a reasonable living. Another is to face to reality that initiatives like Universal Basic Income will be a necessity

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

AHungryRobot posted:

it already did and it is called 2016

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

of course he isn't, he's the lackey of the old guard who turns to the side of good when the evil empire begins to fracture. bernie is going to save us all. check out my patreon for more sweet political fanfiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Unironically this

• Locked thread