Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

It stands for "okay, we gave you a token leadership position with no real power or authority, that means all the young people will vote for us now right?".

On the other hand, being "General Secretary" was also a token leadership position until Stalin made it into something right? Maybe we'll get lucky and Bernie can build it up into a de facto party leadership position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Harrow posted:

Also retweeting every thread she's ever tweeted every day.

And the thing is, I really don't know how right or wrong she is. She's right that the news media is, in large part, moving very quickly to be nicer about Trump and treating people like Steve Bannon as normal political operatives. She was correct about the extent to which Russia was at least attempting to meddle in the election--hell, even the NSA director is saying that now. And hell, these side-by-side quotes from Trump and Bannon are pretty alarming:

https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/798133651795939329

On the other hand, well, tactics that might have worked in Uzbekistan (where she covered an authoritarian regime first-hand) won't necessarily work in a country as large and diverse as the US, especially when basically everyone seems to distrust the media as it is. I don't think she's wrong that Trump wants to be seen as a strongman leader, like Putin, or that Bannon would love nothing more than to have his hands on the reins of an authoritarian state, but I'm also not sure she's correct that it's all just going to come tumbling down in weeks after Trump's inauguration, or that every single member of government and every single check and balance is just going to fold right away like she suggests.

What she does that's really infuriating is when she intimates something terrible is going on, or that people we trust are either in on it or otherwise compromised, but absolutely refuses to elaborate. Just, "ask yourself why," and nothing else. Like this one about Obama:

https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/798285377245212672

What are we supposed to make of that? "So you need to start asking why."

It's pretty normal for conspiracy people to correctly predict big established organizations acting shady in mundane ways, especially if they phrase the predictions vaguely enough, that's why people buy into conspiracy theories and other fringe bullshit. They appear to account for reality in some of the many ways that mainstream sources don't, so people figure they must know something everyone else doesn't, which means they know more than everyone else does, hence the wild fuckin' conclusions they then extrapolate from nothing at all are going to all come true. Don't take someone's word for it because they were right on one or two things any reasonably perceptive person might guess correctly, especially when they're obfuscating their reasoning with a bunch of dark insinuations and rhetorical smoke and mirrors, she needs to show her work or she's just writing dystopian fiction.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 16, 2016

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Bernie is making a speech to the American People tonight. Considering he just got appointed the head of the DNCs outreach I think we might get some good stuff.

What are we going to hear we haven't heard before? He's just going to wag his finger and tell everyone that economic anxiety and inequality are the reasons for all our problems, isn't he? Black people being executed in the street by cops and the Muslim Registration Act are okay as trades as long as white peoples kids get to go to college and have a secure future. drat, am I excited as a minority to get on board with this economic message! The economy will provide all the civil rights I deserve!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/798997246775873537

Didn't even know there was a plan to restore earmarks. Okay, then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

It stands for "okay, we gave you a token leadership position with no real power or authority, that means all the young people will vote for us now right?".

I'd agree, except a lot of the Democratic leadership are also throwing their weight behind Bernie's pick for DNC chair, including Schumer and Reid. Again, it's not a whole lot, but those are both moves towards a) wanting to keep Bernie around and b) wanting Bernie and his progressive-wing allies to save them from irrelevancy.

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Hello. I am an actual Jew. You do not have the moral authority to define antisemitism. The vast majority of American Jews are reform, and have a much more nuanced view of Israel than you are demonstrating. Please have this discussion with your Jewish friends, and if you don't have any, please make some before forming an opinion on this issue.

So... if you're not a POC you can't care about/talk about minority issues? I'm not a woman, can I not care about women's rights? Lol at the idea that only Jews can talk about antisemitism?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

fits my needs posted:

What are we going to hear we haven't heard before? He's just going to wag his finger and tell everyone that economic anxiety and inequality are the reasons for all our problems, isn't he? Black people being executed in the street by cops and the Muslim Registration Act are okay as trades as long as white peoples kids get to go to college and have a secure future. drat, am I excited as a minority to get on board with this economic message! The economy will provide all the civil rights I deserve!

Yikes

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Doredrin posted:

Investors only care about Twitter being profitable. Most people are not going to pass up a good business opportunity because of "morals" or whatever those are.

It happened.

And it isn't because of "morals", it's because they viewed it as a potential lawsuit. Or a regulatory nightmare. Or etc.

In other words, they saw it as a risk of losing a lot of money and went "no sale."

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Doredrin posted:

Investors only care about Twitter being profitable. Most people are not going to pass up a good business opportunity because of "morals" or whatever those are.

disney was one of the potential buyers that backed out and they absolutely care about morals, even if they're a bit weird about it

there's a fantastic story that i can't find right now from someone who was tasked with moderation of a disney mmo game where you could build things out of legos, who had the sisyphean task of making sure nobody built any dicks in the publicly visible areas. the funny part being that disney was 100% ready and willing to provide the cash and resources to actually build out automatic detection software as well as a manual moderation team to make sure their game was 100% dick free and safe to be played by children

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DaveWoo posted:

There should be, it would restore a major negotiating tool in Congress. :colbert:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Harsh But True posted:

So... if you're not a POC you can't care about/talk about minority issues? I'm not a woman, can I not care about women's rights? Lol at the idea that only Jews can talk about antisemitism?

Um excuse me, as an able-bodied guy you are being extremely sexist against disabled women right now and I'd like you to stop

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Venuz Patrol posted:

disney was one of the potential buyers that backed out and they absolutely care about morals, even if they're a bit weird about it

They only care about morals because being moral is part of their business model.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah it may create more governmental waste but it would restore some sort of negotiaton. gently caress I dunno.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/16/pelosi-officially-running-house-minority-leader/

so how is Pelosi clinging to power, she really have 2/3's vote?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Harsh But True posted:

wow that strawman is missing half its limbs by now

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fits my needs posted:

He might not say that. But I see you've already decided what he is going to say.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Main Paineframe posted:

As for Israel, the right-wing coalition in charge of the government is a big fan of Trump - they suspect he won't seriously care about what goes on in Palestine, and therefore they can now get away with pretty much anything they want without being pressured by America. The Israeli media - particularly Israel Hayom, which is run by Adelson - largely ignored the anti-Semitism in his campaign, so the Israeli public doesn't really know about it.

It's really interesting how the partisan lines work even internationally, such that Israeli conservatives are in denial about Bannon and his vile crew just because they are on the same side, politically. I guess Bannon has kept his attitudes at the deniable, "dog whistle" level.

All the horrible leaders of the world - Putin, Duterte etc seem to be assuming that while the cat's away, with an incompetent US president, the mice will be able to play. Probably true. I'd call it "The Axis of Assholes"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Venuz Patrol posted:

there's a fantastic story that i can't find right now from someone who was tasked with moderation of a disney mmo game where you could build things out of legos, who had the sisyphean task of making sure nobody built any dicks in the publicly visible areas. the funny part being that disney was 100% ready and willing to provide the cash and resources to actually build out automatic detection software as well as a manual moderation team to make sure their game was 100% dick free and safe to be played by children

This is amazing.

"So, what exactly were your job responsibilities at Disney?"
*thousand-yard stare*

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Venuz Patrol posted:

https://twitter.com/glassbottommeg/status/604407061380640768

[edit] More from that:

Players would hide the dongs where the filtering couldn't see, or make them only visible from one angle / make multi-part penis sculptures.

The moderation costs of LEGO Universe were a big issue in general. They wanted a creative building MMO with a promise of zero penises seen.

They actually had a huge moderation team that got a bunch of screenshots of every model, every property. Entirely whitelist-based building.

YOU could build whatever you wanted, but strangers could never see your builds until we'd had the team do a penis sweep on it.

It was all automated, but the human moderators were IIRC the single biggest cost center for LEGO Universe's operational costs. Or close to.

And "that" is why Trove/etc were able to make better building MMOs. They didn't have to worry about little kids seeing dongs. We REALLY did.

We even had an employee very nearly fired for building a penis. It was on his own property, but a kid wandered into it during a kid test.

We're talking "test operator rushed forward, blocks the monitor, slams the game closed, four alarm fire to find who built the penis" here.

After which a memo went out indicating our new absolute zero tolerance policy on building penises of any kind, anywhere, in the game.

This is all obvious, simple stuff, and is why dealing w/ COPPA (which protects kids) is so drat hard in online games. Even DEVS build dongs.

This is a roundabout way of saying "never build an online game for kids / I have no idea how Minecraft hasn't been sued over this yet"

People saying "well just allow dicks" - LEGO's brand is utterly trusted by parents. We had to uphold that trust. Which meant zero tolerance.

I'm.... relatively positive I can talk about this stuff. The agreements signed when the studio shut down had more to do with defamatio, etc.

Anyways, "all of that" is why every single successor to LEGO Universe has been small and missing build play. LEGO knows how expensive it is.

And they basically can't compete with Minecraft, because Minecraft can just shrug that entire problem off. So they've focused elsewhere.

I expect stories of the sunk costs gone into LEGO Universe are told to young LEGO execs at bed time, as cautionary tales to never try again.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 16, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DaveWoo posted:

This is bad. Earmarks are good.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it may create more governmental waste but it would restore some sort of negotiaton. gently caress I dunno.

Earmarks, fundamentally, are the reason each state sends representatives and senators - it's not just about the federal level.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Bernie???? Is that you????

Yes. And my power level is, and I say this in all honesty, YUUUGE. I think we should put a Freeze A on all student debt. We're gonna stop rate abuse by Cell providers. We are gonna cut red ribbons that keep consumers from affordable housing. We are not going to rest until the amount of compensatory pay a man or woman receives on family leave is over 9000. People, I implore you, lend me your energy, and I will fight for fifteen episodes, representing five minutes in real time, and I will not let the American people be turned into candy by the favorite creation of a grand wizard.

greatn fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 16, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Earmarks are a good thing that funds local projects and makes compromise easier. Ryan most likely doesn't want it because he knows that it would be easier for Dems to peel away GOP Reps with the promise of earmarks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's pretty normal for conspiracy people to correctly predict big established organizations acting shady in mundane ways, especially if they phrase the predictions vaguely enough, that's why people buy into conspiracy theories and other fringe bullshit. They appear to account for reality in some of the many ways that mainstream sources don't, so people figure they must know something everyone else doesn't, which means they know more than everyone else does, hence the wild fuckin' conclusions they then extrapolate from nothing at all are going to all come true. Don't take someone's word for it because they were right on one or two things any reasonably perceptive person might guess correctly, especially when they're obfuscating their reasoning with a bunch of dark insinuations and rhetorical smoke and mirrors, she needs to show her work or she's just writing dystopian fiction.

Real solid points, especially the bolded part. You're right--until she shows her work, it's not wise to follow her down the rabbit hole.

I mean, what little concrete advice she's actually given is good: organize locally, donate to groups like Planned Parenthood and the ACLU, all that stuff. But none of that requires us to dive headfirst into the whirlpool of dystopian despair she's whipping up.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

fits my needs posted:

Bernie Sanders has literally been yelling day one about the Steve Bannon appointment and has openly backed Black Lives Matter and the protesters at Standing Rock since they goddamn started

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is Pelosi good at her job? I thought she was, but this election has left me questioning things I thought I was sure about.

What would be the benefit of replacing her?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
States aren't all identical homogeneous blobs so sometimes an enormous generalized Federal institution can't appropriately aid them all. That is why you have earmarks.

The fight against earmarks was always an idiotic pandering nonsense issue that middle america morons loving loved.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Is Pelosi good at her job? I thought she was, but this election has left me questioning things I thought I was sure about.

She was a good speaker but I think there is something positive about a new face for the house dems.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Covok posted:

Yes, but now Donald owns the courts.

No, he doesn't. You guys keep saying this and it makes it look like you have no idea how the government works.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Doccers posted:

https://twitter.com/glassbottommeg/status/604407061380640768

[edit] More from that:

Players would hide the dongs where the filtering couldn't see, or make them only visible from one angle / make multi-part penis sculptures.

The moderation costs of LEGO Universe were a big issue in general. They wanted a creative building MMO with a promise of zero penises seen.

They actually had a huge moderation team that got a bunch of screenshots of every model, every property. Entirely whitelist-based building.

YOU could build whatever you wanted, but strangers could never see your builds until we'd had the team do a penis sweep on it.

It was all automated, but the human moderators were IIRC the single biggest cost center for LEGO Universe's operational costs. Or close to.

And "that" is why Trove/etc were able to make better building MMOs. They didn't have to worry about little kids seeing dongs. We REALLY did.

We even had an employee very nearly fired for building a penis. It was on his own property, but a kid wandered into it during a kid test.

We're talking "test operator rushed forward, blocks the monitor, slams the game closed, four alarm fire to find who built the penis" here.

After which a memo went out indicating our new absolute zero tolerance policy on building penises of any kind, anywhere, in the game.

This is all obvious, simple stuff, and is why dealing w/ COPPA (which protects kids) is so drat hard in online games. Even DEVS build dongs.

This is a roundabout way of saying "never build an online game for kids / I have no idea how Minecraft hasn't been sued over this yet"

People saying "well just allow dicks" - LEGO's brand is utterly trusted by parents. We had to uphold that trust. Which meant zero tolerance.

I'm.... relatively positive I can talk about this stuff. The agreements signed when the studio shut down had more to do with defamatio, etc.

Anyways, "all of that" is why every single successor to LEGO Universe has been small and missing build play. LEGO knows how expensive it is.

And they basically can't compete with Minecraft, because Minecraft can just shrug that entire problem off. So they've focused elsewhere.

I expect stories of the sunk costs gone into LEGO Universe are told to young LEGO execs at bed time, as cautionary tales to never try again.

god bless

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

He might not say that. But I see you've already decided what he is going to say.

Bernie should retire to the new lake house he bought with his wife in 90%+ lilly white Vermont and let others have a chance to speak, people that actually understand that the economy becoming better doesn't guarantee that the lives of minorities will as well.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Bernie Sanders has literally been yelling day one about the Steve Bannon appointment and has openly backed Black Lives Matter and the protesters at Standing Rock since they goddamn started

Huh, I was not aware of the Standing Rock bit.

Which would also mean he has been backing the protest since before I was aware OF THE PROTEST. :v:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

Bernie should retire to the new lake house he bought with his wife in 90%+ lilly white Vermont and let others have a chance to speak, people that actually understand that the economy becoming better doesn't guarantee that the lives of minorities will as well.

no

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

fits my needs posted:

You are dumb. He has never said this. That is not representative of his beliefs. Social justice, racism, police abuse have all been a huge part of his directed and platform since he was disrupted at Netroots 2015. After that he made a sharp turn immediately towards addressing social justice and minority rights in both his stump speeches and platform.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Venuz Patrol posted:

Online game designers talk about "time to cock", meaning variously how long it would take for a new player to make a cock that someone else can see or how long it takes from when a game starts to when someone is able to make a cock.

A previous Disney MMO, Toontown, went to great lengths to protect kids. There was no way to build anything in the world and communication was limited to predetermined chat phrases unless you exchanged codes out of game, but someone realized there were enough phrases to setup a 1:1 letter/number:phrase book. They were posted prominently on fan sites, allowing kids to exchange codes in game without ever talking out of the game.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DaveWoo posted:

Ryan continues to be cowed by the tea party

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

greatn posted:

You are dumb. He has never said this. That is not representative of his beliefs. Social justice, racism, police abuse have all been a huge part of his directed and platform since he was disrupted at Netroots 2015. After that he made a sharp turn immediately towards addressing social justice and minority rights in both his stump speeches and platform.

I know this is a bit to ask, but do you have a good article or something on the disruption being (explicitly or implicitly) the inflection point? That would be a fantastic datum in a dozen different ways in my fight for the forces of good.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

Yeah no as you just want some neoliberal to say nice platitudes to you.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

She is incredibly good at her job, and pretty much there isn't much argument that she is one of the best whips that the Democratic party has seen in a long time.

I understand the argument about needing new blood, but the Democratic party also strongly needs to stay organized as it becomes a more populist party, and she is the right person to that. For this reason alone, I still think she should be democratic minority leader for the house.

That being said, it's not safe yet to assume that she is perfectly establishment. After all, she does come from one of the most progressive districts in SF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah no as you just want some neoliberal to say nice platitudes to you.

i will do it. give me a government salary and health plan, I will say nice platitudes to that man

take it away from an actual HHS worker to pay me I don't care

• Locked thread