Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well, we went out and pushed the button. Beep beep I'm a jeep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thronde posted:

Congrats! Love the color.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Thronde posted:

Dead serious, the first thing you need to buy is delrin hinge inserts.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Dead serious, the first thing you need to buy is delrin hinge inserts.

Nevermind, googled it and found my own answer. Good call. I take it stock door pins are no beuno?

Thronde fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 12, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're ok for a very short period of time, then they become horrible and near impossible to remove. I rendered a socket unusable by smashing it with a hammer to drive the old inserts out. My Jeep was just over 3 years old. About a year later I removed my doors and almost threw the drat thing in the air because it slid out of the hinge so easily. Replace them before they corrode into place.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Also if you plan on driving this Jeep in unlit areas after dark, consider replacing the headlights. That was the #1 improvement on mine, hands-down.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
The local Jeep club had a section in today's Veteran's day parade. So here's 29 Wranglers and my Commando :D

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Rubbed the side of my immaculate ZJ against the boss's month-old Audi the other day. Wrecked my door and front wing, wrecked much more on his. Happily I have a "Spares" ZJ in the drive. loving hell, those doors are heavy to swap over.
They get heavier as it rains harder, gets windier, and you are doing it with no help. But the spare door now closes! Yay! A coat of paint and it'll be even better than before.
His Audi won't, though. Whoops!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ohnonotme posted:

Rubbed the side of my immaculate ZJ against the boss's month-old Audi the other day. Wrecked my door and front wing, wrecked much more on his. Happily I have a "Spares" ZJ in the drive. loving hell, those doors are heavy to swap over.
They get heavier as it rains harder, gets windier, and you are doing it with no help. But the spare door now closes! Yay! A coat of paint and it'll be even better than before.
His Audi won't, though. Whoops!

I love that you apply the "immaculate" adjective to the ZJ, and not the Audi. :lol:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Jeep news has been kinda slow lately but hopefully I'll have more time soon to work on these dumb bricks.

I don't remember if I posted this but this ZJ Grand Waggy looked REALLY mint to me so I had to snap a pic of it.

Last topless day of the season :allears:

I went on a super fun off roading trip a couple weekends ago.

Ace gave me a couple of these tail light rock guards. I think they look pretty swank on my YJ.

Here's my girlfriend's cat:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I entered my commando in the annual Veteran's day parade yesterday.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What's a good source for a new or gently used seat for a 94 xj 2 door? The welds in mine are all broken and the junkyards around here have nothing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of seats...

Drivers seat was effectively stuck full back. Fine for me but no good for the wife. Since good used drivers rails cost a lot more than passenger, I decided to fix it instead of replacing the whole base. Used the Two Men One Garage ( :scax: ) kit.

A few tips on the job:
A set of roll pin punches is a must have.
When the seat is stuck full back, I hope you've got a flex head 15mm ratcheting wrench. Without that there's no way that seat would have come out without perhaps drilling the bolts from underneath or just mangling the seat track.
The screw drives will go in upside down... as photographed above :downs:
You can fully remove one roll pin but the other there's no way thanks to the seat lift mechanism. Cut it and get another 1/4" diameter, 1.5" roll pin from Home Depot. Hell, grab two since you'll sacrifice one when you put a track in upside down!

Also, my seat is developing a crack around one of the mounts where it bolts to the track. It doesn't rock or anything yet but now I want to learn to weld so I can booger it back together.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
My 99 XJ did something really loving weird a couple days ago.

Doing about 60 down a straight flat road the engine stalled for at most two seconds and fired right back up and didn't happen again. Only info I could gather quickly is that all the gauges went to 0 and no dummy lights were on and then it came back to life as if it never happened. Its as if the whole Jeep lost power for a brief second. Did a quick test with a multimeter and I'm pushing ~14.1v to the battery at idle. The dash gauge as well as an aftermarket gauge I installed read at 14v on the nose. I'm going to clean the battery terminals as they're kind of lovely and replace them if they're brittle when i remove them.

Anything else I should look at? Pretty sure it's electrical if anything if it killed all the power to the dash.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

DAT RAM posted:

Doing about 60 down a straight flat road the engine stalled for at most two seconds and fired right back up and didn't happen again. Only info I could gather quickly is that all the gauges went to 0 and no dummy lights were on and then it came back to life as if it never happened. Its as if the whole Jeep lost power for a brief second. Did a quick test with a multimeter and I'm pushing ~14.1v to the battery at idle. The dash gauge as well as an aftermarket gauge I installed read at 14v on the nose. I'm going to clean the battery terminals as they're kind of lovely and replace them if they're brittle when i remove them.

Anything else I should look at? Pretty sure it's electrical if anything if it killed all the power to the dash.

How tight is your battery? I once had a customers car that would randomly die out in the same fashion. Turned out the battery was loose and would slide make contact and cause the car to freak the gently caress out and shut down. Re secured the battery and we were skookum. Id check the battery terminals and see if it looks like they have made contact with anything.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

DAT RAM posted:

Definitely clean your battery contacts, and maybe put on some nice new brass terminals. Clean/wirebrush the ground(s). Otherwise it sounds a lot like the symptoms I had recently when my ignition switch started dying. I would suspect this if it continues to happen with more frequency and finally results in a no fuel+no spark condition.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
No ideas about the seat, then? I found some great ZJ seats, but the problem is that the rails on my current seat are super skinny, so as to fit into the unique bracketry of this jeep. Are there adapter plates sold anywhere?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Definitely clean your battery contacts, and maybe put on some nice new brass terminals. Clean/wirebrush the ground(s). Otherwise it sounds a lot like the symptoms I had recently when my ignition switch started dying. I would suspect this if it continues to happen with more frequency and finally results in a no fuel+no spark condition.

That makes sense. Mentally I was thinking either a battery terminal or ground that's loose or corroded or the ignition switch is having issues.

I can pull the key out regardless of what position it is in so it definitely could be related :v:

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

DAT RAM posted:

That makes sense. Mentally I was thinking either a battery terminal or ground that's loose or corroded or the ignition switch is having issues.

I can pull the key out regardless of what position it is in so it definitely could be related :v:

That is normal. I mean, it means there's a worn piece in your ignition but mine has done it since I got it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

DAT RAM posted:

Just to clarify, I mean the ignition switch located down the steering column under the dash, not the ignition/key cylinder. The switch is what moves when you rotate the key, and tells the relays what to power ie fuel pump/distributor etc. If it fails those things won't get power.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Just to clarify, I mean the ignition switch located down the steering column under the dash, not the ignition/key cylinder. The switch is what moves when you rotate the key, and tells the relays what to power ie fuel pump/distributor etc. If it fails those things won't get power.

Ah okay. Never had to mess with that on any car before so it's new territory.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Feeding my XJ preoccupation with my cousin's old Jeep.

:circlefap:1994 UPCOUNTRY PACKAGE WITH FACTORY TIRE CARRIER AND TOW GROUP OH JESUS:circlefap:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

OneOverZero posted:

Feeding my XJ preoccupation with my cousin's old Jeep.

:circlefap:1994 UPCOUNTRY PACKAGE WITH FACTORY TIRE CARRIER AND TOW GROUP OH JESUS:circlefap:

YESSSS

I need to see that interior.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Sandbagger SA posted:

YESSSS

I need to see that interior.
Grody Sport-level standard. :v:

And because I'm in a region covered up with late-model lifted Tacomas with Teflon-coated fake beadlocks and Tennessee-tilt coal rollers with HAMMER DOWN SOUTHERN CHARM stickers, here are two photos of a compact unibody pickup truck doing actual pickup truck poo poo.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No ideas about the seat, then? I found some great ZJ seats, but the problem is that the rails on my current seat are super skinny, so as to fit into the unique bracketry of this jeep. Are there adapter plates sold anywhere?

The driver side seat is super shagged out in my XJ - I actually took it apart and tried to reconstruct it with some good foam but the lovely plastic base mold is split and basically the whole thing needs to be replaced. I've never seen one in a junkyard that wasn't disgustingly trashed beyond belief, and getting them rebuilt/reupholstered is crazy expensive (rebuilding the bench seat for our 2004 Tacoma work truck was $800) so I'm just living with it until I want to spend cash on one of these.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

OneOverZero posted:

Grody Sport-level standard. :v:

I expected faux leather and wood grain. Oh well v:v:v

That MJ makes me miss mine. Stupid fires.

I may have to get another one some day to be a farm truck.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Sandbagger SA posted:

I expected faux leather and wood grain. Oh well v:v:v

That MJ makes me miss mine. Stupid fires.

I may have to get another one some day to be a farm truck.
oh, from a Country? This just has the UpCountry suspension. If it were both, I'd poo poo myself.
I do rock the Briarwood (non-leather Country/Limited stuff) dash, door panels, and buckets in the Comanche, though. :boom:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Those pics make me miss my '92 XJ Sport so much.

Are JK takeoff wheels a better plan than trying to find something that would look ok on my WJ? Also, if I got JK wheels, what kind of tire pressure sensors would I need, I assume still WJ?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

OneOverZero posted:

oh, from a Country? This just has the UpCountry suspension. If it were both, I'd poo poo myself.
I do rock the Briarwood (non-leather Country/Limited stuff) dash, door panels, and buckets in the Comanche, though. :boom:

yasss I miss that dash bezel. It's a clump of melty plastic now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gileadexile posted:

Those pics make me miss my '92 XJ Sport so much.

Are JK takeoff wheels a better plan than trying to find something that would look ok on my WJ? Also, if I got JK wheels, what kind of tire pressure sensors would I need, I assume still WJ?

As I understand it, the different sensors are usually just different frequencies. So you'd need whatever matches the WJ, yeah...or get the TPMS disabled. I assume there's something like an AEV Procal (or maybe that's compatible) that'll let you set your own tire size and disable TPMS.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Correct, you'll need WJ TPMS sensors since the JK (and just about every post-WJ Jeep) use a different protocol. They'll still fit the JK wheels no problem.

I think fully disabling TPMS might mean finding an EVIC that doesn't have it, though?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not necessarily...YMMV because I don't know the ins and outs of EVIC since my JK Sport has the base cluster (ie doesn't tell you WHICH wheel is low, only that there's one that is), but I've never heard of any issues even with the Saharas or Sport S JKs that have had the system disabled with a Procal.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Goon recommendations for LED Headlight assemblies? The internet has a metric fuckton but having experienced opinions would go a long way in that department. Also, delrin hinge inserts I want TMC brand or whatever I assume?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thronde posted:

Goon recommendations for LED Headlight assemblies? The internet has a metric fuckton but having experienced opinions would go a long way in that department. Also, delrin hinge inserts I want TMC brand or whatever I assume?

Love my Truck Lites as do a few other goons, you've also got JW Speaker and hordes of chinese knockoffs as well.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Thronde posted:

These right here. Reasonable price, easy install, and worlds better than the stock lights.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Not necessarily...YMMV because I don't know the ins and outs of EVIC since my JK Sport has the base cluster (ie doesn't tell you WHICH wheel is low, only that there's one that is), but I've never heard of any issues even with the Saharas or Sport S JKs that have had the system disabled with a Procal.

WJs and JKs differ pretty heavily on the electronic bits, though. As far as I'm aware the TPMS hardware for the WJ is contained entirely in the EVIC.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TotalLossBrain posted:

These right here. Reasonable price, easy install, and worlds better than the stock lights.

I wish those had glass lenses. I'd worry about scratching up an expensive headlight like that.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I flat tow my YJ behind my F150 with a tow bar like this:

While I haven't had an issue with braking before, I am wondering - Is there a way to set up the jeep to work with my F150's trailer brake system?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^The lights or the actual brakes?

IOwnCalculus posted:

WJs and JKs differ pretty heavily on the electronic bits, though. As far as I'm aware the TPMS hardware for the WJ is contained entirely in the EVIC.

I don't know how the JK handles it, honestly. I'm confident it's discussed to death on jeepforum and similar, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I flat tow my YJ behind my F150 with a tow bar like this:

While I haven't had an issue with braking before, I am wondering - Is there a way to set up the jeep to work with my F150's trailer brake system?
http://www.brakebuddy.com/