Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

The Puppet Master posted:

There are some contemporary leftist philosopher I really admire who are thinking how to redefine the culture around work. That future society absolutely needs to have a different approach towards labor, hours of work, work ethic, and productivity in order to adapt to the coming automation revolution. This kind of thinking or rethink is actually the basis of my work at the moment.

There was this great tweet of states that have Truck Drivers as their #1 job combined with fact that automated trucking is just around the bend. Does anyone have that on hand?

Could you name these guys? I agree with this sentiment and if they can express it better than I can I would love to learn from their writings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Karl Barks posted:

i still think about all those weird rear end emails from the DNC that were just people telling each other to gently caress off, and get hosed, etc. legit all those people are human garbage just on a personal level

gently caress off/get hosed

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Instant Sunrise posted:

just to be clear, you mean "right to work" as in laws banning union shops, not "right to work" as in "actually at-will employment but gets confused with right to work."

because either way i agree

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Instant Sunrise posted:

just to be clear, you mean "right to work" as in laws banning union shops, not "right to work" as in "actually at-will employment but gets confused with right to work."

the banning union shops one

e: actually, phase it that unions should have the same legal protections and ease of creation that corporations have

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Karl Barks posted:

i still think about all those weird rear end emails from the DNC that were just people telling each other to gently caress off, and get hosed, etc. legit all those people are human garbage just on a personal level

Except Pablo

https://twitter.com/gitpab/status/792528590747435008

loving Pablo.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

MJ12 posted:

Could you name these guys? I agree with this sentiment and if they can express it better than I can I would love to learn from their writings.

Nick Srnicek and Alex Williams

Their book I refer to a lot at the moment. And their Manifesto. Start with that here: http://criticallegalthinking.com/2013/05/14/accelerate-manifesto-for-an-accelerationist-politics/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventing_the_Future:_Postcapitalism_and_a_World_Without_Work

quote:

24. The future needs to be constructed. It has been demolished by neoliberal capitalism and reduced to a cut-price promise of greater inequality, conflict, and chaos. This collapse in the idea of the future is symptomatic of the regressive historical status of our age, rather than, as cynics across the political spectrum would have us believe, a sign of sceptical maturity. What accelerationism pushes towards is a future that is more modern — an alternative modernity that neoliberalism is inherently unable to generate. The future must be cracked open once again, unfastening our horizons towards the universal possibilities of the Outside.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Lastgirl posted:

Chuck Schumer: [Nite Crewishly] "Yoo duuuuudes, progressives! You guys! The best of the mess, I brought some beer fam, lets knock some back and chill innit :q:"

Democrat Thread: [Day Crewishly] "Chuck..mate....it's 10 in the morning and we're at work trying to figure out how best to lead the democrats into a progressive future."

[Schumer sulks and slinks away]

Who is this man, with the glasses

Moistening his lips?

Could it be?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Gringostar posted:

e: actually, phase it that unions should have the same legal protections and ease of creation that corporations have

:agreed:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol this is great

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Amniotic posted:

It helps even in their own disciplines. Lack of practice in flexible thinking and multiple viewpoints/theoretical frameworks is what makes the bulk of STEM majors crank turning formula pluggers who freeze at first contact with a problem that doesn't obviously fit an algorithm.

Where are these lovely engineers coming from? The internet?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ThndrShk2k posted:

Could it be?

Yes, It's Bruce Rappaport

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Powercrazy posted:

Where are these lovely engineers coming from? The internet?

college

the number of lovely engineers i've had to teach their own jobs to is frightening

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

ThndrShk2k posted:

Who is this man, with the glasses

Moistening his lips?

Could it be?

No obviously it's Rappaport. Don't make me go Capehart on your rear end

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Clinton Post-Mortem Update:

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/798996560478687239

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/798996707812003840

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

But she's helping so much with downticket races guys!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Map of Truck Drivers is off because of how the aggregation of different occupations were done so it's right in one way, but wrong in another
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/no-truck-driver-isnt-the-most-common-job-in-your-state-2015-02-12

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

LegionAreI posted:

To harp on education a little more, if we didn't sanitize history in middle and high schools and actually taught people true history (with all the warts and bullshit it involves) we may help people as a whole avoid making the same goddamn mistakes. One of my foundational experiences was finding out how much FDR, who was and continues to be my hero, is seriously sanitized by high school history in my area. He did a whole lot of shady poo poo to save the country and it's never talked about that hard choices have to be made that people get pissed off about.

History is messy as gently caress and we need to learn those lessons in school and early so they stick. There's no point in sheltering kids from this fundamental truth.

Wait, as someone who's learned a little on FDR in high school history, what did he do that's so shady? I only learnt the reality behind the New Deal from this thread, for example.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Gringostar posted:

inshallah

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Alright everyone, ready? Say it with me, all together now:

MOOOOOOO--

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Wait, as someone who's learned a little on FDR in high school history, what did he do that's so shady? I only learnt the reality behind the New Deal from this thread, for example.

concentration camps for starters

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://twitter.com/gitpab/status/798388982598037504

haha loving Pablo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/08/11/what-to-expect-when-a-wikileaks-dump-turns-you-into-an-internet-folk-hero/

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

trying to stack the SCOTUS

loving over minorities to appease the southerns in his own party

letting henry wallace get pushed out by the monied interests in favor of truman

crazy cloud posted:

concentration camps for starters

although, while concentration camps were very bad they did directly lead to the Warren court which was very good

Gringostar has issued a correction as of 22:30 on Nov 16, 2016

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
while ww2 was Very Bad, the funneling of funding into nazi missile tech led later to accelerated progress toward american manned spaceflight, so

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Xelkelvos posted:

The Map of Truck Drivers is off because of how the aggregation of different occupations were done so it's right in one way, but wrong in another
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/no-truck-driver-isnt-the-most-common-job-in-your-state-2015-02-12

Ah thanks!

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what is Bernie going to tell us in his speech tonight? How we all collectively failed him and don't deserve his pity?

This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "OK."

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
How can someone who is clearly intelligent run not one but two presidential campaigns that fail due to gross incompetence? That's the sadly tragic thing about Hillary, both her 08 campaign and this one probably would have made it despite the drag at the top of the ticket if they weren't run by complete idiots.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

MaxxBot posted:

How can someone who is clearly intelligent run not one but two presidential campaigns that fail due to gross incompetence? That's the sadly tragic thing about Hillary, both her 08 campaign and this one probably would have made it despite the drag at the top of the ticket if they weren't run by complete idiots.

loyalty above competence

it's legit her achilles heel

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Battle Royale Baby posted:

No obviously it's Rappaport. Don't make me go Capehart on your rear end

Didn't I just show a modern day picture of known time traveler Bruce Rappaport?

Lord of Pie posted:

Yes, It's Bruce Rappaport
:bernin:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

The self driving truck is also nowhere near mass production either but it'll happen eventually. Though automating the last mile will likely take a lot longer than automating highway driving.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Iron Twinkie posted:

This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "OK." shout with a hoarse voice "What we need to do is help out the working man and bring down the top one tenth of one tenth of...."

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Thoguh posted:

The self driving truck is also nowhere near mass production either but it'll happen eventually. Though automating the last mile will likely take a lot longer than automating highway driving.

Even if the last mile takes 50 years to automate, I can definitely see wages dropping anyway, owners aren't going to want to pay people comparable wages to babysit the autopilot.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

People have hit on a lot of it but the Wallace stuff is what stuck out a lot to me. He made a lot of devil's bargains that ultimately set the stage for the New Deal too.

A fun fact about the Wallace thing - Wallace was not perfect but he had some really progressive ideas. He also got into a lot of fights with other high-level folks and was pretty brash, so pissed a lot of people off. He was favored by a lot going into the '44 Democratic convention. I think Truman had like 3% support and he had like 70% or something? Somewhere around there. So he's about to win renomination as VP when the convention hall was closed due to a "fire hazard" and they had to reconvene the next day. The next day, Truman went from not having poo poo to having the majority for nomination for VP. If he had won, he would have eventually become President because FDR died 80 some days later.

Conventions back then were filled with dirty politics constantly. The party had flat out said they were going to fight the renomination. They proposed Truman and FDR had to take it to keep the party together because he was sick and knew he was going to die. If he stuck with Wallace the party would have splintered.

Mined Wikipedia for this one but Wallace was an interesting guy: "The concept of freedom," Wallace explained, was rooted in the Bible, with its "extraordinary emphasis on the dignity of the individual,” but only recently had it become a reality for large numbers of people. “Democracy is the only true political expression of Christianity,” he declared, adding that with freedom must come abundance. “Men and women can never be really free until they have plenty to eat, and time and ability to read and think and talk things over.”

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Frithjof Bergmann writes about this sort of thing as well I think.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i'm loving speechless

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
The best organized and professionally run political campaign in history, with a literally unlimited amount of funding, ladies n gentlegoons

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, what is wrong with Bill, why does he look like he is about to die. I was honestly expecting there to be an announcement of a Bill cancer immediately post-election,

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I am so glad that the mature realpolitikers in the party had their way and prevented Armageddon as they, and only they, had the ability and experience to

steinrokkan posted:

So, what is wrong with Bill, why does he look like he is about to die. I was honestly expecting there to be an announcement of a Bill cancer immediately post-election,

He has to listen to Hillary more than is healthy 4 the human body

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

steinrokkan posted:

he realized he's married to the worst political campaigner in american history

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

quote:

A senior official from Clinton’s campaign noted that they did have a large staff presence in Michigan and Wisconsin (200 and 180 people respectively) while also stressing that one of the reasons they didn’t do more was, in part, because of psychological games they were playing with the Trump campaign. They recognized that Michigan, for example, was a vulnerable state and felt that if they could keep Trump away ― by acting overly confident about their chances ― they would win it by a small margin and with a marginal resource allocation.

hahahahaha they did this with an infinity money advantage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Imagine having donated to that campaign.

• Locked thread