Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Speedboat Jones posted:

Jan. 2018, from what I read.

Trump's just gonna ban it anyway though, ain't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Trump's just gonna ban it anyway though, ain't he?

Probably. The legal states only have it "legal" because the feds haven't cracked down on it because Obama has held off the dogs. Good loving luck with that now.
Gary Johnson better get busted for weed. That would almost make everything fair.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
why did we pass this dumb ammo law that is just going to make even the more "moderate" gun goons go R forever?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Hey I've got a question for the thread. I've lived in SF for several years and I'm leaving it, but I've really fallen in love with California. Any advice on cool places to live? I'm thinking of heading down to L.A, or something really remote like Eureka... I'd love to get some random opinions on places to look in California to build a new life.

KoB
May 1, 2009

key party favors posted:

Hey I've got a question for the thread. I've lived in SF for several years and I'm leaving it, but I've really fallen in love with California. Any advice on cool places to live? I'm thinking of heading down to L.A, or something really remote like Eureka... I'd love to get some random opinions on places to look in California to build a new life.

If you love the SF prices, come on down to Santa Barbara.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Might I suggest you come experience The Inland Empire?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Santa Barbara's water has to be 95% fish and bird poop by now, because that's all that's left in Cachuma and Gibraltar.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

KoB posted:

If you love the SF prices, come on down to Santa Barbara.

I don't even own a yacht

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

key party favors posted:

I grew up in northern Sonoma County and I really liked it. I still go up every now and then to visit my parents. There's really a butt load of stuff to keep you busy forever, lot of good and variety of food, and not too expensive because it's just far enough that it's not quite practical to use it to commute to SF (and especially not SV) so it's just a wee bit outside the bubble. But you definitely could make it down to SF on the weekends in <1 hr if you want to. Petaluma is very nice though that's been getting pretty price in the past 10 years but there has been a lot of apartment/condo development, and of course Santa Rosa is quite big with lot of apartments/townhouses/etc though some parts are not so great (roseland) but overall it's pretty cool. Definitely still a car centric area though but there's a lot of great biking areas

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

key party favors posted:

I'd love to get some random opinions on places to look in California to build a new life.
Do you need to find a good job.. or any job? Do you need to have access to a variety of good restaurants?

Sacramento has a lot of great restaurants. While it is less expensive than the bay area, it still has the problem of rents increasing faster than wages. I would recommend living withing biking distance of midtown if you like going out. One of my favorite features is the amount of mature trees. You can walk for blocks on end while keeping the hot sun off your back. Most of the further out suburbs are strip mall hellscapes.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 16, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ventura County is LA and Santa Barbara adjacent. It has good weather, nice beaches, and a reasonable murder rate.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

why did we pass this dumb ammo law that is just going to make even the more "moderate" gun goons go R forever?

the part that trips me out is that we managed to pass that while also not passing a prop that ended the death penalty and passing a prop that'll shorten the death penalty appeals process. Everyone should have the right to a speedy execution, I guess??

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

the part that trips me out is that we managed to pass that while also not passing a prop that ended the death penalty and passing a prop that'll shorten the death penalty appeals process. Everyone should have the right to a speedy execution, I guess??

Big Government California is fine with the state killing innocent people but gets upset when the free market tries to get into the action.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I would second Petaluma; it's a fun and interesting town that has both cool antiques and cool stores that are useful to residents. You should also visit Mendocino and others of the small seaside towns. I don't know about real estate prices; Mendocino itself is probably expensive, but there are other villages nearby.

If it were up to me, I'd settle in one of the modestly touristy towns on the seaside; they're more likely to have stuff like a "good" grocery store and bookstore and library and whatnot, because a small town alone can't support much in the way of stores and town services.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Prop 67 banned plastic bags which is fine but now TJ's is charging me for paper bags. The lady at the register thought it was bullshit because you can't charge the customer until their poo poo is bagged. She gave me 3 bags and charged for two. gently caress the system.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Don't all grocery bags cost money these days? I thought that's been a thing for a while now. Maybe it was region specific before.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Taima posted:

Don't all grocery bags cost money these days? I thought that's been a thing for a while now. Maybe it was region specific before.

Bags were free in San Diego until last Wednesday.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Prop 67 banned plastic bags which is fine but now TJ's is charging me for paper bags. The lady at the register thought it was bullshit because you can't charge the customer until their poo poo is bagged. She gave me 3 bags and charged for two. gently caress the system.

That is the way it has always worked up here in the communist north. They charge you for 1 bag if you only have a few things and two bags if you have a lot. It's not like the bags are inventoried.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

That is the way it has always worked up here in the communist north. They charge you for 1 bag if you only have a few things and two bags if you have a lot. It's not like the bags are inventoried.

But they're not required to, prop 67 specifically dealt with banning plastic bags. Paper bags are fine because they're highly recyclable, biodegrade and don't gently caress up the oceans. If TJs just started charging for paper bags then that's a company policy, nothing that any specific state law says they need to do.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Look at this guy who didn't read his voter's guide. Prop 67 included a charge for paper bags.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I didn't realize how quickly it would be implemented. But now that it has, it kicked me on my rear end to stop being a dipshit and bring one of my seven million cloth bags that I have when i got shopping.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I would second Petaluma; it's a fun and interesting town that has both cool antiques and cool stores that are useful to residents. You should also visit Mendocino and others of the small seaside towns. I don't know about real estate prices; Mendocino itself is probably expensive, but there are other villages nearby.

Petaluma really is a great place, but like most of the North Bay home prices have really climbed in the past two years. From what I hear the rental market is just bonkers too. SSU is building new apartments/dorms which should help ease the strain a bit but that's still more than a year off

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

Look at this guy who didn't read his voter's guide. Prop 67 included a charge for paper bags.

Welp, you're right, please ignore me then.

I don't think I've ever seen a single-use paper bag btw.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm going to San Diego for a conference at the beginning of December, and other than evenings out with colleagues I have one whole day to see the city before I hear back to London. Any must-see recommendations for someone in the city by themselves? I'm staying on the waterfront by the convention centre.

If it helps I'm into photography, nature/outdoors stuff (though doubt I'd have time to go to any state parks), history, beer, Mexican food, and generally just walking around cool cities. Am not sure how walkable the different areas are but would prefer to not spend too much of the day in a car though don't mind getting a cab somewhere if needed.

I thought I'd check out Balboa Park, the waterfront area, the Gaslamp district and some museums but other suggestions would be welcome. I'm not bothered about seeing the zoo.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Old Town is gimmicky but fun. Balboa Park is cool, as is a visit out to Coronado. Honestly I found the Gaslamp district to be a bore. If you are hungry check out the Lucha Libre Taco Shop near the airport.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Lady Gaza posted:

I'm going to San Diego for a conference at the beginning of December, and other than evenings out with colleagues I have one whole day to see the city before I hear back to London. Any must-see recommendations for someone in the city by themselves? I'm staying on the waterfront by the convention centre.

If it helps I'm into photography, nature/outdoors stuff (though doubt I'd have time to go to any state parks), history, beer, Mexican food, and generally just walking around cool cities. Am not sure how walkable the different areas are but would prefer to not spend too much of the day in a car though don't mind getting a cab somewhere if needed.

I thought I'd check out Balboa Park, the waterfront area, the Gaslamp district and some museums but other suggestions would be welcome. I'm not bothered about seeing the zoo.

My parents moved down to SD but I have yet to really explore it. That being said, for what its worth, there seems to be great Vietnamese food in the Mira Mesa area and really good Japanese food on Convoy. I tried Rakiraki and it was a pretty good bowl of Tsukemen. LA is still definitely the bearer of good tsukemen but Rakiraku was a great little surprise.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

I did a convention about six months ago down near their waterfront. There's a big aircraft carrier museum ship (the Enterprize?) that might be interesting down there. Didn't get the chance to see it myself.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I did a convention about six months ago down near their waterfront. There's a big aircraft carrier museum ship (the Enterprize?) that might be interesting down there. Didn't get the chance to see it myself.

It's the USS Midway. It's actually a really well executed museum and worth a visit, if that's the sort of thing you're into. A lot of the interior is restored and viewable through a self-guided tour. There's also a nice collection of vintage aircraft set up in the hangar bay and flight deck.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lady Gaza posted:

Pacific Beach is cool if you're a cool 23 year old bro and you like to get hammered and ride around on a wobbly bicycle.

The Zoo is nice, its really big and you'll walk for hours.

Coronado is a good photo spot, its an island with a fancy hotel and a military base, so don't make a wrong turn during rush hour or you'll get stuck in traffic forever.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Coronado is a good photo spot, its an island with a fancy hotel and a military base, so don't make a wrong turn during rush hour or you'll get stuck in traffic forever.

The little strip of stores and restaurants there is very much a kind of ideal vision of California. People riding long boards, palm trees, ice cream shops and the like. That's why I recommend it.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

key party favors posted:

or something really remote like Eureka... I'd love to get some random opinions on places to look in California to build a new life.

Late to this party, but don't.

I hate to say that, because I've lived in Humboldt for three years now and there are some spectacular things about it. But it's hard to 'build a new life' up here. Eureka in particular has a lot of crime for a smaller city, and the job market is pretty awful--though I imagine that depends on what kind of work you do. If you work from home, go for it (although be aware I've lost phone/internet service twice in the last year because someone accidentally cut a cable a hundred miles south of here).

Come visit, see how you feel, but it's not a place I plan to stay long term.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Sacramento is great if you have the money to be in midtown or just east of midtown. You can still find recently remodeled old houses just east of midtown for under 400k.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Ignore this for now, I started typing and three letters in it posted because v0v

Key party favors, what field is your work in? You can use that to narrow down what cities/metro areas in So Cal you could move to. Places where you can expect to find a job quickly and that pays well while maintaining or surpassing your current quality of life.

E.G., Thousand Oaks has Amgen and other biotech companies but if you worked in the defense industry you'd probably want to move closer to Oxnard/Camarillo (Point Magu and Port Hueneme naval bases). If you're a teacher you can work anywhere in Ventura County because we absolutely don't also underpay our teachers just like everywhere else. Nope. Totally won't be a problem.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 21, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just discovered that you can AirBNB Huell Howser's old house

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10038359

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Cool now all you need to do is want to stay in that area and not kill yourself in boredom

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Joshua Tree is rad.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

29 Palms isn't rad though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

coupbrick posted:

Yeah but it's only a 15 minute drive to the radness.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

coupbrick posted:

That's cause you're not on meth.
Joshua Tree is really nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

You gotta think of the opportunity costs, how many other parks even within 300 miles can you visit instead and also not have to be around the inland empire

• Locked thread