Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I assume discussion of the black experience in education will not be welcome outside of the two (2) permitted negrozones.
Obviously it's fine. You can post about the black experience as much as you want, and you can start as many black threads as you like. I just didn't want this thread to get derailed with pages of general education chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

Yeah, but that's art. Art History is one of those subjects that is dull as dishwater to anyone without a knack for rote memorization because you need to know so many names and dates, and with even less of the story aspect you get with regular history.

I'm not American but that's the opposite of my experiences with Art History. I haven't studied it but I dated an art historian and sat in a bunch of lectures. That poo poo was fascinating and super fun :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If I'm misinterpreting and it's not a problem, awesome. No further action needed.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
No I do think it was getting to be a derail, but lol if PWB is advisable in new white-power-flavor D&D. It was bad enough before.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry about your lovely teachers? "Art History" is a go-to STEM punching bag like underwater basketweaving. It's only as boring as you make it.

Our art history prof. was actually pretty great, but that didn't make the demands of the subject any less name-and-date focused. Maybe it gets better when you get out of the intro-level stuff, but I never got that far so I can't say.

Edit: Also definitely not STEM kid, and every liberal arts class is a punching bag for a certain kind of STEM students because they're all pouty that their schools made them "waste time" on something not directly related to their degree.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 16, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

God Bless this amazing country.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

Our art history prof. was actually pretty great, but that didn't make the demands of the subject any less name-and-date focused. Maybe it gets better when you get out of the intro-level stuff, but I never got that far so I can't say.

How would you feel about someone who only took an intro-level science class and decided that science was boring and worthless.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's like how history isn't great at the start but once you've got some idea of the basics for context you can draw connections to it and the trends and processes start getting brought up and making it a lot more interesting, isn't it?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

there wolf posted:

In all forms of history, art- or otherwise, the capacity to memorize dates is pretty irrelevant. The important thing is that you can comprehend trends, themes, methodology, etc. In fact, you'll barely need dates a lot of the time because if you understand what's happening on a deep level you won't place things outside of their period or out of sequence, and those things flow out of your natural understanding of what took place.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah because art movements, much like elections, are reactions to the status quo. One of the most important thing an art student first learns is that the hoary old standbys like Impressionism were once scandalous and shocking and infuriated the establishment. Once you understand what's a reaction to what and why, dates are irrelevant.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

How would you feel about someone who only took an intro-level science class and decided that science was boring and worthless.

Well I'd probably think they don't have a big interest in science, and then I'd start to wonder if, considering that science is a very broad subject with lots of entry points, the person might have some kind of learning style or disability that made the class harder then it normally would be.

You seem to think I am against art history as a subject as a matter of principle. So just to clear the air and get us both on the same page, I'm against pretending like it's just a matter of passion whether you're into a subject or not. Art history happens to be a personal example for me because I did a history major with a fine arts minor; I should have loved art history. But as a dyslexic, the heavy emphasis on names and numbers was an obstacle to my engagement with the class and the subject. That's probably me reading more into negromancers' brief scenario than was actually there, but it is what it is.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

Well I'd probably think they don't have a big interest in science, and then I'd start to wonder if, considering that science is a very broad subject with lots of entry points, the person might have some kind of learning style or disability that made the class harder then it normally would be.

You seem to think I am against art history as a subject as a matter of principle. So just to clear the air and get us both on the same page, I'm against pretending like it's just a matter of passion whether you're into a subject or not. Art history happens to be a personal example for me because I did a history major with a fine arts minor; I should have loved art history. But as a dyslexic, the heavy emphasis on names and numbers was an obstacle to my engagement with the class and the subject. That's probably me reading more into negromancers' brief scenario than was actually there, but it is what it is.

A bad teaching style can ruin any subject. Art History doesn't have to be any more about names and numbers than the rest of history.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Dexo posted:

The implicit is becoming more and more explicit.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dexo posted:

nice reminder that the limited progress being made in reducing microconcussion injuries will be yet another casualty of the trump administration

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

No I do think it was getting to be a derail, but lol if PWB is advisable in new white-power-flavor D&D. It was bad enough before.

I feel dumb, but I don't get what PWB is. Oh! Posting while black. Yeah definitely dumb.

I would be interested in starting a thread on education. It might take me a while. But if I do, I'm gonna try to make it as cool as this and the misogynoir thread, which means racists are gonna have to gently caress off :colbert:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
In other news, New Balance seems to be scrambling to try to cover up repair their image after a white supremacist group claimed them to be the shoes of white people.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hawkgirl posted:

I feel dumb, but I don't get what PWB is. Oh! Posting while black. Yeah definitely dumb.

I would be interested in starting a thread on education. It might take me a while. But if I do, I'm gonna try to make it as cool as this and the misogynoir thread, which means racists are gonna have to gently caress off :colbert:

Yeah do it!

blackguy32 posted:

In other news, New Balance seems to be scrambling to try to cover up repair their image after a white supremacist group claimed them to be the shoes of white people.

100 million white dads can't be wrong

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

blackguy32 posted:

Ahaha what. On what basis? Are they just going around and anointing things the Official X Of White People? The official cereal rice krispies? The official soda Diet Coke? The official outerwear brand L L Bean?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

blackguy32 posted:

Was that before or after they released a statement supporting Donald Trump and then tried to walk that back with uncommon urgency?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PT6A posted:

Was that before or after they released a statement supporting Donald Trump and then tried to walk that back with uncommon urgency?
The company didn't release a statement, their VP of public affairs - whose single job as VP of public affairs is to avoid doing poo poo like this - publicly supported Trump.

I looked it up because, like all white people, I wear New Balances. They do a dress shoe with a sneaker sole that I really like for walking to work.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

The company didn't release a statement, their VP of public affairs - whose single job as VP of public affairs is to avoid doing poo poo like this - publicly supported Trump.

I looked it up because, like all white people, I wear New Balances. They do a dress shoe with a sneaker sole that I really like for walking to work.

Not often you hope a company will take a lesson from the dignified example set by Skittles.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Not often you hope a company will take a lesson from the dignified example set by Skittles.
Today, all of America could use a Tic-Tac.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im not letting these fuckers ruin my white dad shoes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Statistically, they already ruined your white dad.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Control Volume posted:

I don't know, man. Being able to easily spot and thus avoid scum by the Browning logos on their cars has been pretty useful.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Funny, cause my immediate association with New Balance is "I sport New Balance sneakers to avoid a narrow path."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhcmzBgJVgg

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

New Balance has put out some dope shoes in the past few years to supplement their dadwear, they're based in my city, and they strive to make a lot of their shoes in the USA (and then overcharge like a motherfucker for them - this is partly why they voiced support for Trump as it relates to TPP), so it's a real shame I have to set my feet ablaze now

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
What group is supposed to wear Nunn Bush shoes, because those are fairly comfortable

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What group is supposed to wear Nunn Bush shoes, because those are fairly comfortable

Google tells me these are square-toed IT guy shoes. Good news: You have chosen the appropriate footwear for your goon status. Bad news: You are no longer cool enough to post in blackthread.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Intro level science is boring and worthless.

Yeah because art movements, much like elections, are reactions to the status quo. One of the most important thing an art student first learns is that the hoary old standbys like Impressionism were once scandalous and shocking and infuriated the establishment. Once you understand what's a reaction to what and why, dates are irrelevant.

This sounds like the part at the end of Ant-Man.

A bad teaching style can ruin any subject. Art History doesn't have to be any more about names and numbers than the rest of history.

There are no bad subjects, just bad instructors, as I always say.

blackguy32 posted:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dexo posted:

"Our business works best if people are complete morons!" Wonderful.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Slowly but surely we can fix the internet.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/Rebranded White Nationalism-denormalizer/glfmlcifdhfpibfmokbcojfkbgfigeph/related?authuser=1

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

A friend of mine made a chrome extension you can configure to do whatever text replacement you like.

That is a pretty good suggestion for "alt-right," though I think I'll drop or replace the "rebranded" part.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Google tells me these are square-toed IT guy shoes. Good news: You have chosen the appropriate footwear for your goon status. Bad news: You are no longer cool enough to post in blackthread.

The ones I wear are round-toed. :confused:

I will admit they are probably nerdy as hell though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The ones I wear are round-toed. :confused:

I will admit they are probably nerdy as hell though.

Hey, those are the kind of shoes both my grandpas really like!

Wait that's not helping is it...

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Jesus, my shoes are New Balance for normal use and Nunn-Bush for work. And I'm a father. I even listen to Bruce Springsteen! I've become the living definition of "White dad." :stonk:

I need to do something before I start liking Macklemore and yardwork.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Talmonis posted:

Jesus, my shoes are New Balance for normal use and Nunn-Bush for work. And I'm a father. I even listen to Bruce Springsteen! I've become the living definition of "White dad." :stonk:

I need to do something before I start liking Macklemore and yardwork.

God damnit, I checked and my not-work tennis shoes are New Balance and the Nunn-Bush shoes for work as well. No kids and I'm not crazy about either of the artists you listed, but I enjoy yardwork. :gonk:

I need to get better shoes.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wear Nike and Something From Kohl's

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Doctor Butts posted:

Something From Kohl's

99% chance those are Nunn Bush shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I wear whatever brand is making size 15 women's shoes when my old pairs wear out.

It's troubling that New Balance's marketing guy is a Trumper, but OTOH it seems like one of the best things you can do to try to fix our society is to buy poo poo that is made in the USA. The more jobs there are here, the less ground conservatives have to stand on when claiming that liberals and minorities are destroying the economy.

It's an interesting question though: how does one try to function ethically in the American marketplace (I know, no ethical consumption under capitalism)? If we boycotted every company that had racists or sexists in management, we'd just have to grow all our own food and make all our own clothes and walk everywhere. How does one punish companies with racist leadership without just totally exiting modern society?

• Locked thread