Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Xarbala posted:

You guys were right, honest healers are the worst

Also they reported me for being abusive but I doubt anything's going to come of it, because I can read my log right now and I have a hard time seeing anything actionable.

Just don't say anything at all beyond asking if they'll DPS, and only ask once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Just don't say anything at all beyond asking if they'll DPS, and only ask once

Words to live by.

Yikes.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Verranicus posted:

If you're running with pubbies POTD is most definitely not failproof.

I probably get more upset at pugs in POTD than anywhere else. Run in room, kill things, collect chests, use things, jump in glow circle. THIS poo poo ISN'T HARD YOU MONGOLOIDS.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

I probably get more upset at pugs in POTD than anywhere else. Run in room, kill things, collect chests, use things, jump in glow circle. THIS poo poo ISN'T HARD YOU MONGOLOIDS.

Most of they time I get groups that know the drill, even if they tend to pick more fights than is entirely necessary.

And then there are the runs with all dps where everybody else insists on Leeroy-ing every room at floor 40+ without pause. Usually different rooms at the same time.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Thundarr posted:

Most of they time I get groups that know the drill, even if they tend to pick more fights than is entirely necessary.

And then there are the runs with all dps where everybody else insists on Leeroy-ing every room at floor 40+ without pause. Usually different rooms at the same time.

Hey now, let's be fair here. I leeroy rooms in floor 51+ because I've solo'd the whole drat thing and am secure in my ability to handle the whole floor by myself if need be.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fair, but most of the people you run into in matched are probably not going to be able to solo the joint.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
But can you handle the floor when that idiot pgl pulls 13 enemies and runs around like an idiot making sure everyone gets aggro? :v:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It just seems like really weird design to me since PotD, or at least the pre-101 floors, is obviously supposed to be this casual gently caress around sort of place and overall it's balanced around being fairly trivial, but the penalty for actually failing, especially on floor 8-10 of a set, is way too high and there's enough random elements (up to and including your party members) that you can't completely eliminate the risk.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I've had so many stupid wipes in PoTD that I cant help but laugh at it. Everyones grouped up killing a mob and here comes mr idiot to open the treasure chest next to us. Suddenly we are all dead.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's amazing how much smoother things go when you have party members who 1) stand back and let one person open chests, and 2) don't rush over to open chests in the middle of battle.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah, nothing makes me more annoyed than having that one idiot who will rush to every chest even if someone else is clearly closer and going for it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Asimo posted:

It just seems like really weird design to me since PotD, or at least the pre-101 floors, is obviously supposed to be this casual gently caress around sort of place and overall it's balanced around being fairly trivial, but the penalty for actually failing, especially on floor 8-10 of a set, is way too high and there's enough random elements (up to and including your party members) that you can't completely eliminate the risk.
Its something that is made to be accessible to everyone because there's no gear and it has its own skillset that kinda doesn't apply to the rest of the game, but I don't think its right to say its supposed to be a casual gently caress around instance. The design of the thing is totally regressive and kind of a throwback to the endgame roguelike dungeon in Lufia 2 or the FFV Ancient Cave romhack, some minor random bullshit snowballing into a wipe that made the whole thing a waste of time is completely inline with that.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 16, 2016

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Verranicus posted:

Yeah, nothing makes me more annoyed than having that one idiot who will rush to every chest even if someone else is clearly closer and going for it.

At this point, I just let other people open silver chests if possible since every one I open detonates in my face or I'm left with a mimic to fight solo. :smith:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The plus side of backing off when you see someone else going for a chest is they think you're just being polite and not, you know, letting the food taster have the first bite

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Intoluene posted:

At this point, I just let other people open silver chests if possible since every one I open detonates in my face or I'm left with a mimic to fight solo. :smith:

Mimics that drop chests which are also mimics are the best part of PotD. The ones on later floors that can't be stunned are assholes though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ran into a Thaumaturge in the Vault just a little while ago. He also didn't know how to use the mb. Leveling your main in the POTD is absolutely real.

Thundarr posted:

Mimics that drop chests which are also mimics are the best part of PotD. The ones on later floors that can't be stunned are assholes though.

That's only ever happened to me and my friends once but it was beautiful

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Xarbala posted:

Ran into a Thaumaturge in the Vault just a little while ago. He also didn't know how to use the mb. Leveling your main in the POTD is absolutely real.

Been telling a lot of newbies in the novice network that POTD is a trap and should be done after they do their class quests/MSQ, including the actual dungeons.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Intoluene posted:

The issue here is when I make a conscious decision to let others take the chests they often just walk right the gently caress past them.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Rhymenoserous posted:

The best is when you can see the exits to the left or whatever, and you beg and plead in your mind that they go literally anywhere else except to the exit first so you don't have to backtrack, and then they go to the exit first.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Xarbala posted:

The plus side of backing off when you see someone else going for a chest is they think you're just being polite and not, you know, letting the food taster have the first bite
Yes, the other thing I learned quickly was to always let other people cheerfully open the chests for you. No no, go say hello to Mr. Mimic, I don't mind. :munch:

EponymousMrYar posted:

Been telling a lot of newbies in the novice network that POTD is a trap and should be done after they do their class quests/MSQ, including the actual dungeons.
Yeah, I hate to admit it but it should really only unlock after the ARR MSQ or something. Maybe even the HW MSQ, but that's probably a bit too long.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seeing someone with a Padjali / Kinna weapon shows a high chance that the player doesn't know how to play their job, let alone play the game well. It really is the new discrimination.

Heck, last night I had a ninja with i235 knives that didn't use kiss of the viper, and melded two Grade 5 Dets melded - bear in mind det is already maxed out on that weapon, so he wasted hundreds of thousands of gil on giving no stat upgrades to his weapon. In Weeping City, I had a monk with kinna fists that died to every mechanic on each boss. POTD is really dumbing down the player base.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Confirmation bias tbh

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They need to make class quests an actual challenge that tests you on your ability to play your job, and then make class quests a requirement for the MSQ. They'll never do it though, because all the bad players would cry BUT MY STORY en masse.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fister Roboto posted:

They'll never do it though, because all the bad players would cry BUT MY STORY en masse.

they'd be right

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

They need to make class quests an actual challenge that tests you on your ability to play your job, and then make class quests a requirement for the MSQ. They'll never do it though, because all the bad players would cry BUT MY STORY en masse.

So the thing that already happens but with tighter DPS checks? I mean it wouldn't change anything, but if it'll keep you from crying about unskilled players I'd be for it (Spoilers; I know it won't).

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I haven't had any lovely PotD pugs, just groups filled with pure murderhobo's who demolish a set of floors in 20 minutes or less. JP servers really are the best to play on.

Thundarr posted:

I had 30 seconds left on pox, then a chest spawned a mimic that I managed to solo before it could hit me with the pox again. Only for the chest it dropped to spawn another mimic, that I couldn't kill in time because I blew all my CD's earlier. I got poxxed again, and had to suffer for another 9 minutes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So the thing that already happens but with tighter DPS checks? I mean it wouldn't change anything, but if it'll keep you from crying about unskilled players I'd be for it (Spoilers; I know it won't).

Why do you have to make this personal?

Class quests in general are really loving bad at teaching anything to the player. They rarely have anything to do with the abilities you should be learning, and sometimes they even teach you incorrect things. It's no wonder that aren't the least bit challenging. They should change that.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 17, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Fister Roboto posted:

Why do you have to make this personal?

Because your opinions are almost universally poo poo and you embody a big part of what is wrong with MMO "culture".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Pots, kettles, please stop banging together.

Fister Roboto posted:

Class quests in general are really loving bad at teaching anything to the player. They rarely have anything to do with the abilities you should be learning, and sometimes they even teach you incorrect things. It's no wonder that aren't the least bit challenging. They should change that.

The only class quests I remember having trouble on were the level 30 GLD one (because first class and mishmash gear) and the CNJ one where you had to play support for NPC's as they dealt with deer. The latter sticks out in my head because NPC's are pretty junk at holding aggro and the deer hit hard enough to kill me a few times before I figured out the balance of damage and healing necessary to complete that quest. Focusing on single targets mainly, which while good for soloing is hardly what you should do in group situations :v:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

they made the class quests grant you echo every time you failed them so they're not challenges anymore, people will just continue to mash their face against them till they win from sheer numbers

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm just glad I can finally break 10k with jump. I don't think full 270 is going to be quite enough to get it with full thrust, though.

Nope! Broke it at 263-5 a couple times

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I hit level 50 in weaver through ixal quests and I tried doing the class quest for level 35 where you have to make high quality pants. I'm not a leather worker and there weren't any aldghoat leather in the marketplace so I had to go around begging for it.

Got it, thanked the man, gave him 70,000 gill and started to work on it, failed it almost instantly

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

ilifinicus posted:

they made the class quests grant you echo every time you failed them so they're not challenges anymore, people will just continue to mash their face against them till they win from sheer numbers

you know you can just play in a static or do high difficulty content and stop worrying about people bad at the game right

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I hit level 50 in weaver through ixal quests and I tried doing the class quest for level 35 where you have to make high quality pants. I'm not a leather worker and there weren't any aldghoat leather in the marketplace so I had to go around begging for it.

Got it, thanked the man, gave him 70,000 gill and started to work on it, failed it almost instantly

...So how many stacks of aldgoat leather did you get if you spent 70k?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Because your opinions are almost universally poo poo and you embody a big part of what is wrong with MMO "culture".

You embody the other part, fyi.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

please knock Mom! posted:

you know you can just play in a static or do high difficulty content and stop worrying about people bad at the game right

1. My static doesn't meet at every time that I'm playing the game, and we save our time for end game raiding
2. Even in a large FC it can be hard to find people that want to do what you want to do, meaning you're gonna have to queue with pubs

I think it's perfectly fine to want to have a way for pubs to get better at this game because you're gonna be stuck with them in some form or another. I get that the devs have to cater to a large audience meaning they tune down stuff, and some bads will always be bad regardless of how much advice you give. But asking for the player base to improve isn't an unreasonable request, in my mind.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do what WoW did last expac and add a proving grounds style thing for each role and require you to pass the Silver ranking of it to queue for endgame stuff, that'll weed out the insanely bad players and just leave the bad to decent ones clogging up the queues.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
the best I've seen in palace of the dead was a mimic that dropped a mimic that dropped a chest that then exploded and wiped the group :allears:

While potd isn't great at learning your rotation or knowing your class, I do like getting access to abilities sooner and being able to set up my hot bars.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The class quests being stupidly easy also makes them really boring in my opinion. I wish they'd at least try and pretend to be difficult. I don't think anyone is asking for them to be savage tier, but you should at least have to think maybe slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Eopia posted:

...So how many stacks of aldgoat leather did you get if you spent 70k?

Just the two I needed. I was very generous for giving me the time to craft them for a stranger

• Locked thread