Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
My sister's family are all Apple user's, and I'm a Windows/Android user myself. For my Moto X Pure I use a Virtoba X5 and really like it. I know that this unit is compatible with iPhones, but I am wondering if there is a unit that is more highly recommended for use with one? I know my brother-in-law always gets the latest iPhone, and my sister will have the previous generation. They let my 8 1/2 year old niece play around on them so I was thinking about getting her a VR set as a gift. She has really enjoyed playing around with my VR set when she's visited, but it seems a little large on her head. I don't think that's a big problem though. Also I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to get one that my brother-in-law can use too since he enjoys technology like this. I appreciate any recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Following up on the release of their Backpack PC, MSI has announced a VR-oriented PC in a console form factor:
https://www.techpowerup.com/227845/msi-announces-the-trident-worlds-smallest-vr-ready-gaming-pc

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

G-Philez posted:

My sister's family are all Apple user's, and I'm a Windows/Android user myself. For my Moto X Pure I use a Virtoba X5 and really like it. I know that this unit is compatible with iPhones, but I am wondering if there is a unit that is more highly recommended for use with one? I know my brother-in-law always gets the latest iPhone, and my sister will have the previous generation. They let my 8 1/2 year old niece play around on them so I was thinking about getting her a VR set as a gift. She has really enjoyed playing around with my VR set when she's visited, but it seems a little large on her head. I don't think that's a big problem though. Also I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to get one that my brother-in-law can use too since he enjoys technology like this. I appreciate any recommendations.

Isn't the View Master specifically geared towards kids? it's like < $20 right now on Amazon.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Woah, google have just released Google Earth VR for the Vive. Everyone who's got one should check it out, it's awesome. You can fly around cities and terrain in 3D like the regular version. Also if you go into the settings menu you can turn on human scale so you can go stand at the top of Everest or any other mountain and feel the scale. It's free too!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/348250/

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
The ReVive guy removed the hardware check from Google Earth so it works with the Rift
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5dcgts/how_to_remove_the_google_earth_vr_headset_check/

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Poetic Justice posted:

The ReVive guy removed the hardware check from Google Earth so it works with the Rift
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5dcgts/how_to_remove_the_google_earth_vr_headset_check/

aw c'mon man knifegrab was just about to come

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Walrus posted:

Don't worry; I suspect the headset check was there because Oculus wanted the Touch version to be exclusive to their store, so ironically working Oculus support is bad for them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

Don't worry; I suspect the headset check was there because Oculus wanted the Touch version to be exclusive to their store, so ironically working Oculus support is bad for them.

They were waiting to release their Ballot Certification System and it only lets you play if you prove you voted for Trump

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Aphex- posted:

Woah, google have just released Google Earth VR for the Vive. Everyone who's got one should check it out, it's awesome. You can fly around cities and terrain in 3D like the regular version. Also if you go into the settings menu you can turn on human scale so you can go stand at the top of Everest or any other mountain and feel the scale. It's free too!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/348250/

Is it my imagination or is the trailer for Earth VR a much, much higher quality, both resolution and geometry-wise, than the normal Google Earth desktop app?

Edit: OK yeah the actual "gameplay" on my Rift looks nowhere near as good as the trailer they have on Steam, ether Google pre-rendered a super-high res trailer, or my internet isn't crazy enough to download full res in realtime.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 17, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

The Walrus posted:

Revive has pretty much made vr hardware agnostic again, it's a good thing for everyone. The only downside left is occasionally having to use the oculus store.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If I feel like I might ever play a game ever again or if it has a non VR option, I buy it on steam. If it looks like it will be fun one time but I really want it, I'll get it on Oculus. That way I don't care if I ever end up with a next gen headset that doesn't work on Oculus.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Woah, google have just released Google Earth VR for the Vive. Everyone who's got one should check it out, it's awesome.

Yes Yes YES! If you're the kind of person who has spent hours on Google Maps/Street view before moving/vacation it's absolutely incredible. However be forewarned it's Google Earth Quality Imaging, not Maps/Street view so it's much lower res (can't seen most building signs for example).

You should seriously set aside a bit of time ASAP to try it out. I found it surprisingly emotional to look at all of the nearly ever location of I've lived, vacationed and worked.

I wonder if you can use the Google Earth data for games, because at mid scale (where they have 3d) it looks amazing, would be great for Gozilla scale RTS.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

If I feel like I might ever play a game ever again or if it has a non VR option, I buy it on steam. If it looks like it will be fun one time but I really want it, I'll get it on Oculus. That way I don't care if I ever end up with a next gen headset that doesn't work on Oculus.

I have a Rift and I pretty much buy all my VR games on the Oculus Store. It is just incredibly convenient and I know I am guaranteed that the game will use the OVR SDK in the Oculus Store. Sometimes the Steam version will only use SteamVR and I try to avoid that since I'm only at min-spec for VR. I just find OVR to be much faster. Redout finally added OVR support and the devs claim it improves performance by 20% on a Rift. That means a lot for VR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nalin posted:

Redout finally added OVR support and the devs claim it improves performance by 20% on a Rift. That means a lot for VR.

Is it an actual performance boost or is it ASW filling the gap on lower-end hardware?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Nalin posted:

I have a Rift and I pretty much buy all my VR games on the Oculus Store. It is just incredibly convenient and I know I am guaranteed that the game will use the OVR SDK in the Oculus Store. Sometimes the Steam version will only use SteamVR and I try to avoid that since I'm only at min-spec for VR. I just find OVR to be much faster. Redout finally added OVR support and the devs claim it improves performance by 20% on a Rift. That means a lot for VR.

Yeah, same here. Although if a dev does have the Oculus version and also gives out free Home keys, I'll pick it up on Steam, but just install it on Home. Even though I have something like over 400 games and have never used the refund option, it's comforting to know that I can if I need to w/Steam.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stick100 posted:

Yes Yes YES! If you're the kind of person who has spent hours on Google Maps/Street view before moving/vacation it's absolutely incredible. However be forewarned it's Google Earth Quality Imaging, not Maps/Street view so it's much lower res (can't seen most building signs for example).

You should seriously set aside a bit of time ASAP to try it out. I found it surprisingly emotional to look at all of the nearly ever location of I've lived, vacationed and worked.

I wonder if you can use the Google Earth data for games, because at mid scale (where they have 3d) it looks amazing, would be great for Gozilla scale RTS.

Once they start pumping all their street view data into their photogrammetry machine I have to wonder how detailed a lot of stuff will get, it could get a little scary.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I just loaded up google earth on my rift and it was really cool. Even if I could only do the demos (there are 6 of different places, named stuff like "Color" "Cities" "Water" "Desert") due to not having controllers, it was worth installing. I hadn't really touched my rift in a month and it rekindled VR excitement all over again.

I wonder if / when they'll integrate street views and google maps into it? That would be really fun.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 17, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anyone running Windows 10 and a Rift should check out V which just went into Open Beta!

If you have any questions or need some help getting things to work, just let me know.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Anyone running Windows 10 and a Rift should check out V which just went into Open Beta!

If you have any questions or need some help getting things to work, just let me know.

Chromes tells me their site is dangerous...

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
They're just having some ssl issues by the look of it. If you edit the URL to http: it'll work fine. Might want to delay downloading it though, just in case.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I downloaded it and it made every program on my computer Oculus exclusive.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Chromes tells me their site is dangerous...

The site JUST went live, so there might be a snaggle or two. Road To VR had an issue with their own darn link this morning that they tweeted out and was broken for like an HR. Ugh.

Launch day jitters for sure.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SwissCM posted:

Is it an actual performance boost or is it ASW filling the gap on lower-end hardware?

No idea, it's just what they claimed in the patch notes.

quote:

VR
  • Enabled positional head tracking in VR mode
  • Multiresolution rendering enabled for VR users (huge performance increase)
  • Added more launch options from the steam app (Oculus, Vive, OSVR, Desktop). If you have an Oculus, running the game via the Oculus SDK brings you more than a 20% fps increase.
  • Vive: better world scale, especially in the cockpit view
  • Fixed a crash happening in VR when changing advanced options after a race
  • Fixed crash starting a race in VR
  • General performance improvements in VR, especially on Nvidia GPUs
  • Turned off portals in VR, everyone hated them including ourselves. Sorry for those headaches.
  • Fixed Kinetic Lines in VR

But in my experience, SteamVR apps have been more prone to performance issues than OVR apps. I will sometimes get FPS fluctuations with SteamVR running.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

https://www.facebook.com/tigerspreservationstation/videos/1146961472052384/

Its everything I ever dreamed it would be

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Is there anything like this for Open VR? This is super cool as you can sort of fly to any spot in Skyrim or whatever, park out and use it as a backdrop for your virtual office. Or do it from in orbit in Kerbal Space Program.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

:vrfrog:

Pryce
May 21, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wow. This looks really nice. How's performance? I've been using OVRDDP to watch videos and use Twitch chat in games, but performance has been hit or miss on it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Is there anything like this for Open VR? This is super cool as you can sort of fly to any spot in Skyrim or whatever, park out and use it as a backdrop for your virtual office. Or do it from in orbit in Kerbal Space Program.

Vive support and other headset support is coming down the line, you might be able to get this working for some basic similar usage.

Does KSP have VR support yet? That game really needs it for building and flying my spacebombs.

Pryce posted:

Wow. This looks really nice. How's performance? I've been using OVRDDP to watch videos and use Twitch chat in games, but performance has been hit or miss on it.

Actually after a recent change with the way we render the browser, it's really good. Before it was able to tax my system below 90FPS almost in empty space in Elite, since then I can actually fly inside stations and land on planets without it dropping much, and when it does, ASW comes to play and removes any sort of slowdown you might have noticed. It's fantastic!

I spent 4 hrs straight in Elite watching my Plex.tv movies and it didn't bat an eye. The app is still clearly beta with some interaction and other sort of function holdups, (like Input blocking in Elite which is a bit jaring) but besides that, the team has made some major strides that it really is coming together nicely. If you play Elite in VR for sure, this is the app we have been waiting for.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 18, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KSP has unofficial VR support, but looking at YouTube, it's pretty good support. All I want in life is too work in a distraction-free orbital virtual office in a ~90 minute Molinya orbit around Kerbin.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, I've had a Vive for all of 4 hours, and I've already knocked a can of coke over my keyboard (thank god for strippable mechanicals), and managed to take out an LED light, scratching the underside of one of the controllers (I have a very low ceiling. I'm 6ft and I can touch the ceiling with a flat palm and my elbow is slightly bent) Still works.

I'm running an admittedly pretty old system and things seem to be working okay for me so far. Only tried Hotdogs Horseshoes & Handgrenades, Project CARS and Accounting. All felt nice and smooth. Currently on a i5 3570k, 8gb ram and a GTX 970 that's a little bit overclocked. I do wonder if it's time to build a whole new system or just go for a GTX 1060 or 70 though.

Falken fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 18, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wow they put a rift user in the vive!

:rimshot:

Please don't ban me.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Hadlock posted:

KSP has unofficial VR support, but looking at YouTube, it's pretty good support. All I want in life is too work in a distraction-free orbital virtual office in a ~90 minute Molinya orbit around Kerbin.

Controller support too, or just stereoscopic rendering?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Pryce posted:

For me the performance seems super nice and I'm only using an RX 480.

It would be amazing if they could add a button to show a detected webcam. Then you could put a small cam on the rift as a pass-through like the Vive has, or put a webcam on your monitor to check if anyone is sneaking up on you, or point one down at your keyboard if you type with hunt-and-peck.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Google Earth VR is stunning, I've already spent a couple of hours just walking around and taking in sights.

No issues at all using it with Rift + Touch after installing the patch to get around the hardware check.

Can take a while for complicated city environments to load in at good detail, but that's the fault of my lovely internet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I sincerely doubt it, but anyone know if there's a way to locally cache GoogleEarth data for the VR experience? I'm taking my setup home for the holiday to demo and I'm looking at places with either 1.5Mbps or no internet at all. I'm on 100 down and loading in takes a little bit, I can't imagine what it would be like on 1.5.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Google released an update with more cached data included for the default places, otherwise no.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Eh, I'll take it. I wonder if saved places would be cached as well.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Man, even with no hands, Google Earth is pretty fantastic. You can use the keyboard to move yourself around (I was able to get to my house after starting at Manhattan and taking a long "road trip" from there). Really excited to give this a go when Touch comes out.

I love how I really have no macro sense of places I think I know by heart.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Finally cleared out some old poo poo games to make way for whatever VR titles I'd be getting.

The Lab sucked away like 3 hours of my time without even realising and I'll likely go back again.

The archery tower defence game is fun as gently caress, and I'm ranked like #15 globally on it. I need more archery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

Finally got around to playing with this today - it's something I've been wanting since I got my headset to stick on a movie or whatever while space trucking in Elite.

Got to say, it's probably the most frustrating, poorly conceived, poorly implemented piece of software I have ever used, and I work in enterprise software development. There are, as far as I can tell, no instructions whatsoever besides a simple how to guide on the site - with such useful snippets as "or you can use the keyboard" - great? What the gently caress are the buttons? I can kind of navigate around, except my keypresses are also being sent to the game so I have to be very careful I don't break anything. Still can't work out what the "select" button is. Enter works... occasionally. Basically everything interactive is wildly inconsistent. It's like the dwarf fortress menu system, except without any key prompts.

I finally manage to get enough of a charge in my xbox controller that I can actually interact with the drat thing, and have a bit of a play around. OK, so it only has a built-in web browser, no window capture or anything like that. Well, that's kinda lovely but OK. I decide to set up a local server that will stream the video I want to watch. Fire up the browser, try to type in the IP. Oh, the on-screen keyboard has no numbers and no way to switch to numbers, I'll try using my physical keyboard. Great, that works. Except when I press a loving number key. So some chucklefuck decided to disallow numbers from the browser address bar. So not only can I not type in the IP, but even if I add a hosts file entry, I can't type the loving port number.

Next idea, update the shortcuts in the library section so one points to the requisite location, numbers and all. Try the library, the item hasn't updated. OK, restart software, restart game, re-open library. Huh. Still hasn't updated.

Next idea, put up another local webserver on the standard port 80 that will redirect me. Great, that works. Only the software I'm using pops up a new browser window. V generously implements this function and pops up a new browser window. Outside of the game window. Since there is no way to pull out the URL it's using that's the end of that. Probably had loving numbers in it anyway.

So I abandoned that attempt and tried streaming from VLC instead. This is much more successful - I can host the page anywhere I want to (no numbers in the URL!) and it supports html5 video tags - cool! All looks good, nothing is crashing.

I can't resize the window so it's about twice as high as it needs to be. Well, the blank space sucks but I'll live with it. Edit the webpage to have a black background and give the video a little monitor surround so it's less abrasive to look at. Tuck it somewhere it won't generally be in the way and get on with my business. After all this faffing it's actually not too bad. There are some visual glitches where the right eye image doesn't seem to update as smoothly, but whatever, it's a beta. I'm sure they'll improve it eventually.

Of course, half an hour later I need to access the UI under where the window is, and by this time my xbox controller's batteries are flat again, and the app is not responding to keyboard at all anymore, so I had to quit everything.

This application has got promise, but they need to hire some people who understand how to design interfaces. I'm not sure the people doing UI design at the moment have ever actually used a computer before. At least not one with a keyboard.

Less ranty summary:
  • Implement sufficient keyboard support that xbox controller is optional - should probably add numbers to the on-screen keyboard also
  • Remove the number block on the browser address bar
  • Implement support for popup windows
  • Ideally, support window grabbing of some variety - this has to be such a common use-case
  • Write a loving readme file, what the hell is wrong with you. No a dumb video is not better.