Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
So the moral is that racism and sexism did, indeed, play a role in the American election. Gosh. I wonder if we're going to continue to see the loving stupid apologetic posts here about how we need to bend over backwards to court a dying demographic just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Powershift posted:

It's not going to be the prairies putting the con's back into power. It's going to be toronto suburbs voting against taxes, throwing muslims under the bus for an extra $430 a year, and quebec voters throwing muslims under the bus to see muslims being crushed by a bus.

The tories had trouble getting more than single digit votes in Quebec even after Harper passed his Quebec nationhood bill. Not even Bernier is that likely to carry the province.

But yeah it won't be the part of the country that's already flat blue.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 17, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Well it can be simultaneously true that Hillary would have won if it wasn't for sexism, if it wasn't for white people's awakening racial consciousness, if it wasn't for Comey, and if she had had an economic offer for post-industrial whites (instead of the "let's defeat bigotry" message she largely served up).

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/wherry-ndp-electoral-reform-referendum-1.3853832

What is this? A referendum, ffs.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

The tories had trouble getting more than single digit in Quebec even after Harper passed this Quebec nationhood bill. Not even Bernier is going to carry the province.

The CPC actually was competitive with the Bloc for most of the 2008 election! On October 1st, 13 days before the election, CROP was showing Bloc 31 CPC 30 in Québec, after the Conservatives had led for most of the campaign - Léger had them leading 34-32 in mid-September.

They stumbled when the platform came out and they had large cuts to cultural spending that really didn't play well in Québec, but the nation thing really did put them in the hunt in Québec.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Pinterest Mom posted:

The CPC actually was competitive with the Bloc for most of the 2008 election! On October 1st, 13 days before the election, CROP was showing Bloc 31 CPC 30 in Québec, after the Conservatives had led for most of the campaign - Léger had them leading 34-32 in mid-September.

They stumbled when the platform came out and they had large cuts to cultural spending that really didn't play well in Québec, but the nation thing really did put them in the hunt in Québec.

Oh wow, I didn't realize it got that high in 08, I ironically spent the whole time not looking at polls because it was depressing as a NDP volunteer on their first election.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

"We disagree with the government's approach to X, even if we agree with X and if we were in their position we would probably take the same approach they are currently taking." - every opposition party ever when they would otherwise be in agreement

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh

quote:

Calgary-Nose Hill MP Michelle Rempel delivered a powerful speech in the House of Commons Tuesday, urging Albertans to participate in the Conservatives' Alberta jobs task force.

Rempel was talking about tax increases and rising unemployment in her home province. She charged that an increase to Canada Pension Plan premiums amounted to a payroll tax on employers.

She likened the federal government's treatment of Alberta to "a fart in the room that nobody wants to talk about or acknowledge."

But Green Party Leader Elizabeth May didn't find Rempel's speech very funny.

"I hate to interrupt my friend in her speech, but I heard her say a word that I know is distinctly unparliamentary, and I think she may want to withdraw it," May said a little later.

"The word was f-a-r-t."

Rempel was incredulous.

"Is my colleague actually serious? I just gave an impassioned speech about supporting Alberta jobs, and that is what the leader of a political party stands and says? No, I do not withdraw it."

May said that "context, decorum and respect" are important in the House of Commons.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/11/16/may-rempel-fart-elizabeth-may_n_13013304.html?ncid=tweetlnkcahpmg00000002

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

CanPol Megathread: Alberta, just a fart in the room that nobody wants to acknowledge or talk about

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh good there's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDNw_vbm_7U

i'm proud of my mp :canada:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The NDP is literally hopeless at this point. There is no way the seniors at the top of the party can be convinced they are dooming the party to irrelevancy and none of the young people can get involved in any way to change it.

Also Rempel is the a god drat baby.

e: Oh god I read the comments WHY DID I READ THE COMMENTS

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

what if we elected someone from outside caucus with their own staff and who isn't indebted to the layton-era establishment as leader tho

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

what if we elected someone from outside caucus with their own staff and who isn't indebted to the layton-era establishment as leader tho

They have all been run from the party or have no intention of running due the potential infighting it would cause.

Seriously, the federal NDP party may as well be dead. I dont see them doing anything but losing seats.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

jagmeet is running tho

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Really? I thought he was going to run for the leader of the ONDP if/when Horwath steps down since he lost his attempted run for the federal NDP.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tsyni posted:

CanPol Megathread: Alberta, just a fart in the room that nobody wants to acknowledge or talk about

Mods please.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Really? I thought he was going to run for the leader of the ONDP if/when Horwath steps down since he lost his attempted run for the federal NDP.

He's travelling all over the country (to provincial NDP conventions and progressive conferences and the like), and he's making calls.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yesssssssss... a... referendum...

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

to that point

people who said that "the ethnic group I belong to is an important reflection of who I am" and were reminded that white people were in demographic decline were more likely to vote Trump than people who were given a benign article about demographic sorting. The same thing happened with men who were just asked to think about their wife's earnings. It works the other way too - women were more likely to support Clinton after the gender prime, and liberal whites less likely to support Trump after being given the demographic prime, but the overall effect on both was anti-Clinton.

Just actually explicitly making a racist or sexist argument can actually convert people to your side.

Studies involving priming are notorious for failing replication (see e.g. Andrew Gelman's discussion here). This is basically the same as stereotype threat.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

When did Voldemort get elected to parliament?

Pinterest Mom posted:

He's travelling all over the country (to provincial NDP conventions and progressive conferences and the like), and he's making calls.

The US election finished breaking me I think. I stopped caring about the NDP the moment Mulcair refused to step down after pissing away the election. Ontario is going to vote in Patrick Brown, known sex offender and man who has in the past campaigned on sending gay people back to electroshock therapy and jailing women that get abortions. :smith:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Not a referendum. Please please please don't let the people who want to keep my vote from counting vote to keep my vote from counting. Just do proportional whatever. I don't care what kind of proportional. I just want some representation in government for once and to never have to deal with this 38%=majority poo poo ever again.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Jimbozig posted:

Not a referendum. Please please please don't let the people who want to keep my vote from counting vote to keep my vote from counting. Just do proportional whatever. I don't care what kind of proportional. I just want some representation in government for once and to never have to deal with this 38%=majority poo poo ever again.

Yeah. We can always change it again if it's not better.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

You just know they are going to put like 10 options on there if they do it and say that one has to reach a certain threshold in order for it to change. Then follow that up with a bunch of misleading information or rhetoric about all the choices to confuse people and ensure that nothing changes.

Because its 2016.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ontario conservatives really like picking poo poo leaders don't they? Granted Wynne is hot garbage but at least she wasn't that nutjob Tim hudak. Just sucks that it means Brown will be in next due to all the crap the liberals pulled and the nonexistent ndp.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
What's the exact story about Patrick Brown anyway? I keep hearing all these suggestions of rumours, but never the rumours themselves. What did he do?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well it can be simultaneously true that Hillary would have won if it wasn't for sexism, if it wasn't for white people's awakening racial consciousness, if it wasn't for Comey, and if she had had an economic offer for post-industrial whites (instead of the "let's defeat bigotry" message she largely served up).

To be fair there were details in her platform for reviving Appalachia with coal mining subsidies or something, but it was never part of her central campaign message.

Also it would have helped if her campaign understood that it had to challenge battleground states.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 17, 2016

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Else where in the article it says they had 180 staff for Wisconsin. That seems crazy low. Are there also congressional staffers in there as well? Canadian elections have more staff than that per population.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Apparently the by-election is today, which we'd have known if we'd been registered to vote but for whatever reason they didn't see fit to do that. Not that it matters because I'd have voted for myself anyway, but still.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ah the referendum, nothing finer in an age of untruth.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Morroque posted:

What's the exact story about Patrick Brown anyway? I keep hearing all these suggestions of rumours, but never the rumours themselves. What did he do?

Just a rumour that he bought drinks for underage girls at a bar. Furnaceface makes it worse everytime Brown is mentioned, I think it's a gimmick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Personally I don't think brown is nearly as bad as their last candidate who was legit crazy, I just think it sucks that he's pretty much guaranteed to win the next provincial election due to a lack of competition and the gigantic hole the back to back liberal terms in office have left behind them.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

And the poor kindergarten children being trained how to sex like a gay, let's not forget that very realistic and credible talking point.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

Tories say Liberals putting infrastructure in hands of foreign billionaires

BILL CURRY AND LAURA STONE
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2016 2:25PM EST
Last updated Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2016 8:29PM EST

Liberal efforts to court rich pension funds and foreign investors to boost infrastructure spending are under attack from the left and the right, which accuse Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of selling out the public interest.

Interim Conservative leader Rona Ambrose criticized Mr. Trudeau on Wednesday during a public speech to her party’s caucus, claiming sarcastically that the Prime Minister should be able to work well with Donald Trump because of the U.S. president-elect’s vast wealth.

“Prime Minister Trudeau loves hanging out with billionaires. This could work out,” she said. “Our Prime Minister sure likes spending time with them. He spends time with them in Davos, at a billionaire retreat in Sun Valley, with Chinese billionaires at Meech Lake and, early this week, with hedge fund managers and billionaires at the Ritz Carleton.”

Ms. Ambrose was referring to Monday’s closed-door meetings in Toronto, at which Mr. Trudeau and senior cabinet ministers met with Canadian-based institutional investors at the Ritz Carleton and then went in the afternoon to a meeting with foreign investors organized by BlackRock Inc., the world’s largest asset manager, at the Shangri-La Hotel.

The Liberals used the meetings to promote their proposed new $35-billion Canada Infrastructure Bank, which would aim to develop a priority list of projects worth at least $100-million each that combined public money and private investment dollars.

Ms. Ambrose said the “so-called infrastructure bank” would go against the interests of the Canadian middle class, which the Liberals claim to be helping.

“Let me just decode this for you. It’s a plan to take loans for bridges, hospitals and schools from foreign billionaires. Billionaires who, let’s make it clear, they’re not doing this out of the best interest of Canadians. They’re going to be looking for a return, and that means jobs will be a cost that’s kept to a minimum, and taxpayer dollars will come second to their profits whenever there is a project that goes over budget. So that means that decisions about tolls and user fees will be made in boardrooms in Beijing and Dubai. Not here.”

The NDP is continuing its opposition to public-private partnerships, and public-sector unions are bolstering their attacks this week, releasing opinion pieces and union-commissioned polls to argue that the public does not support such arrangements.

The Conservatives, however, have been strong advocates for more private investment in infrastructure. The Conservative government created a federal Crown corporation called PPP Canada in 2009 that is similar to the proposed infrastructure bank, but has a much smaller budget. The Conservatives also required municipalities to test all infrastructure-spending projects for their potential to be delivered through a public-private partnership. The Liberal government removed that test, and Infrastructure Minister Amarjeet Sohi told The Globe and Mail this week no decision has been made on the future of PPP Canada.

Conservative spokesman Jake Enwright said the party remains philosophically supportive of public-private partnerships, but is concerned about the lack of detail in the Liberal plan and the fact that it will lead to more deficit spending without a clear indication of how it would create jobs.

Mr. Sohi promoted the government’s plan this week at a conference in Toronto organized by The Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships.

In an interview, Mr. Sohi said the government is still working on the details of the infrastructure bank and any decisions on user fees such as road tolls will be up to municipalities and provinces.

“As proponents and owners of the projects, they determine whether to charge a price for use of the infrastructure or not. That’s their decision. We don’t get involved in that discussion and we don’t want to get involved in that discussion.”

Meanwhile in New York, Steven Mnuchin, a member of Mr. Trump’s transition team, told reporters on Wednesday that a federal infrastructure bank in the United States is under consideration. Mr. Trump has promised a major increase in infrastructure spending though partnerships with the private sector, and criticized Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton during the campaign for promoting an infrastructure bank.

:captainpop:

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
You have to wonder if it's part of a broader Trumpian strategy to tie liberals to the globalist elites so the CPC can somehow recast themselves as being for the economically anxious folks.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rawrr posted:

Trumpian strategy

Please, I don't think we need to embue him as the guy with the Plan to destroy liberalism. Liberalism deserves most of the credit.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dreylad posted:

To be fair there were details in her platform for reviving Appalachia with coal mining subsidies or something, but it was never part of her central campaign message.

Also it would have helped if her campaign understood that it had to challenge battleground states.

Idk, it seems trivially true that you have to chalk up the loss to something other than "allocation of campaign resources". If she wins Michigan and Wisconsin, she still loses the election because of Pennsylvania, and they poured everything they had, materially, into PA.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

If the CPC did it, at least it would be OUR billionaires!

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

Apparently the by-election is today, which we'd have known if we'd been registered to vote but for whatever reason they didn't see fit to do that. Not that it matters because I'd have voted for myself anyway, but still.

You just need ID and something with your address like a lease or hydro bill to vote..

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Re: Hilary's loss, I think her particular history in US politics had the simultaneous effect of motivating Republican leaning voters to turn out at the polls and depressing turnout among certain parts of the Democratic base. While I despise Clinton I think it would be ridiculous to pretend that her negative perception among large parts of the public has no relationship to sexism. She's awful, but she isn't any more awful than her husband was and Bill doesn't seem to attract the levels of animus that Hilary does, so I think it's fair to conclude that part of the reason Clinton struggled with voters was because she was a woman.

rawrr posted:

You have to wonder if it's part of a broader Trumpian strategy to tie liberals to the globalist elites so the CPC can somehow recast themselves as being for the economically anxious folks.

That plus a healthy dose of Conservative nihilism. Remember that this is the party that called a cap and trade system a "a tax on everything" in 2012 after having included it as a plank in their 2008 platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

brucio posted:

You just need ID and something with your address like a lease or hydro bill to vote..

Great. Where's the polling place? When's it open? I can find these things out on my own of course, but if they didn't mail out election cards there's no way your average voter's going to be arsed.