Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Monopthalmus posted:

Has anyone used the FlashMasta Neo Geo Pocket Color or Wonderswan flashcarts? Any good? Are they the best option for those systems?

Lack of an SD card kind of sucks but if it works well and isn't a janky piece of poo poo I'm down.

The switch for switching between the two games on my FMNGPC is a little finicky and the flashing software throws a fit if you try to flash anything smaller than a mb on it but I otherwise haven't had any issues with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Did a thing today (just a composite mod):

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Did some googling, found this:

"7. The opening theme tune is based on a Japanese children's song

That catchy opening theme tune on the arcade version? It's not an original composition. It's a Japanese song called Inu No Omawarisan (The Dog Policeman), and was originally aimed at kids. It's not the only theme borrowed from elsewhere – during gameplay you'll also hear the signature songs from Japanese anime series Hana no Ko Lunlun and Araiguma Rascal. Perhaps Konami couldn't find a decent composer during development?"

That almost sounds familiar, like I'd forgotten about it. I guess they must have licensed it or something for Frogger Hyper Arcade Edition though.

And to compare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIRpYwVpP4E
Yep, that's it alright.

To be fair, Konami is far from the only Japanese company to take liberties with music clearance (or the lack thereof):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxopKhzS_O0
Not all units have this tune; it was apparently revised at some point.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 16, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

wa27 posted:

I'm excited to watch this when I get home. One of my favorite articles is the guy who detailed his repair of Computer Space. Someone posted it here last year:
https://edfries.wordpress.com/2015/03/13/fixing-computer-space-3/
This is great, is there more like this out there? I know so little about the design of early cabinets like this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sony's got even more retrogames on sale this week. I didn't bother listing things with last week's sale, but right now I'm figuring why the hell not:

• Namco Museum Volume 3 (that's Tower of Druaga, Galaxian, Phozon, Ms. Pac-Man, Pole Position 2, and Dig Dug; I do not like this version of Ms. Pac-Man)
  • Metal Slug 3 (this is the recent port of just this Metal Slug game; probably not worth it for most people here)
  • Chrono Cross (the first part in SquareSoft's "inferior PS1 sequels that are only tangentially related to the beloved original game" duology)
  • Legend of Mana (the other half of that duology)
  • Cars (for the kids who don't have enough Cars merchandise already)
  • Fatal Frame 3 (weakest in the series except for that weird 3DS game but still really good)
  • Final Fantasy 7 (it'll take you twenty hours to get to the good part that you remember)
  • God Hand (listing only for completeness as all right thinking people already have at least one copy of this game on disk already)
  • Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland (I don't even remember this one at all, but I guess if the other forty versions of Harvest Moon you have aren't enough for you)
  • Jack and Daxter Collection (probably the best deal in the sale since it's three decent games for $5)
  • Manhunt (for those people who want their games edgy)
  • Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 (you missed Tron Bonne last week)
  • Pretty much everything Shin Megami Tensei (Digial Devil Sega 1&2, Persona 2-4, Nocturne; that's nearly 400 hours of Jungian pokemon)
  • Star Wars Episode 3 (worst deal of the sale since I'm pretty sure people will just throw copies of this at you if you remind them of the game's existence)
  • Tomb Raider 2 (the last good Tomb Raider game until the reboots started)
  • Suikoden 1 and 2 (but thou must play these)
  • Tomba 1 & 2 (I haven't been able to get into them but I know they have their fans)
  • Klonoa (this, on the other hand, is the cult game that's really good)
  • Dino Crisis 2 (if zombies are too intense for you)
  • Resident Evil 2 (if dinosaurs are too intense for you)
  • Toy Story Racer (I'm just going to point out that you could get literally anything else on this list instead of this)
  • Vagrant Story (the other tactical RPG on the PS1. Also, the better of the two)
  • Gex: Enter the Gecko (see if you can remember which of dozens of shoddy late 90's 3D platformers this is without looking it up!)
  • Pac Man World (a much easier to identify shoddy late 90's platformer)
  • Medal of Honor (remember when every console FPS was desperately trying to copy Saving Private Ryan?)
  • Mega Man X 4 and 5 (the best thing about these games is that they're not Mega Man X 7)
  • Parasite Eve (it's amazing that they managed to put a game that short on multiple disks)
  • Rayman (the game that was ported to pretty much everything on the PS1)
  • SimCity 2000 (at least when playing this on a PS3 or Vita you don't have to buy an extra memory card just for the game)
  • Syphon Filter 2 (the wildly popular series that vanished from public consciousness as soon as people realized they weren't very good)
  • Wild Arms 1 and 2 (really the best thing about these games is the intro to the first one)
  • Dark Cloud 1 and 2 (I swear someday I'll get around to playing these so I can have an opinion on them)
  • Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (not the game people talk about when they say they like Arc the Lad)
  • Psychonauts (yes, everyone knows Meat Circus isn't that great, but the rest of the game more than makes up for that)
  • King of Fighters 2000 (this was a Capcom household so I have no opinions on this one)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Monitor Burn posted:

Did a thing today (just a composite mod):

Nice LED.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Legend of Mana is the best in the series :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

They burn people at the stake for heresy, you know.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
A nifty thing with the Namco Museum games is that they all support tate mode and are actually the best ports of the games you can get before the modern 360/Windows/PS4 ones.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Random Stranger posted:

Gex: Enter the Gecko (see if you can remember which of dozens of shoddy late 90's 3D platformers this is without looking it up!)
Easy, the sassy gecko with sunglasses who literally did nothing but make pop culture references and was voiced by Dana Gould.

...what's a social life?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

al-azad posted:

I've wanted to play this for years! Is this PS3 only or can I get some of this on my 4?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Random Stranger posted:

Sony's got even more retrogames on sale this week. I didn't bother listing things with last week's sale, but right now I'm figuring why the hell not:

• Klonoa (this, on the other hand, is the cult game that's really good)

Buy Klonoa. Then buy Klonoa 2. Then buy the Wii remake because they're all super good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I've wanted to play this for years! Is this PS3 only or can I get some of this on my 4?

There is currently no way to play PS1 games on the PS4.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

njsykora posted:

Buy Klonoa. Then buy Klonoa 2. Then buy the Wii remake because they're all super good.

The first two GBA games are on the Wii U Virtual Console, get those too.

I haven't played Klonoa Volleyball but I'm sure it's spectacular.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also get a Wonderswan and play the Klonoa game on that too. It's tough to play on an emulator because it does the vertical screen thing the Wonderswan does for seemingly no reason on some stages.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

njsykora posted:

Also get a Wonderswan and play the Klonoa game on that too. It's tough to play on an emulator because it does the vertical screen thing the Wonderswan does for seemingly no reason on some stages.

"It's cool" is a perfectly valid reason.

Being able to play the Wonderswan in horizontal and vertical orientation is cool but there are very few games that play entirely in the vertical position so I kinda wonder why they bothered.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

PS3, PSP, and Vita. The PS4 retrogames on sale tended to be oddball PS2 ports.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

kirbysuperstar posted:

There is currently no way to play PS1 games on the PS4.

Ell pits. The store is so badly organized that I can never find what I want. Guess I was just on the wrong console this time!

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Do all the PS2 ports on PS4 run like poo poo or is it just Dark Chronicle?

I went and bought a GBC at the weekend and took it home only to discover that my Oracle of Ages no longer boots, tried cleaning with alcohol and on my GBAs but no dice :(

Also aren't the batteries on these games supposed to be nearly dead by now? My pokemon blue and link's awakening both have working battery saves

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

fruitpunch posted:

I went and bought a GBC at the weekend and took it home only to discover that my Oracle of Ages no longer boots, tried cleaning with alcohol and on my GBAs but no dice :(

Also aren't the batteries on these games supposed to be nearly dead by now? My pokemon blue and link's awakening both have working battery saves

Probably just Dark Chronicle. Most of them run better than did on the PS2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

fruitpunch posted:

PS2 emulation on PS4 isn't terribly accurate.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I don't think I've ever gotten a clear answer to this, but does the PSN release of Suikoden 2 have all the same bugs as the disc version, like the missing music tracks, and the Suikoden 1 protagonist's name not transferring properly?

al-azad posted:

I might have liked Legend of Mana if it had some semblance of challenge. There were a lot of neat combat mechanics you had no reason to pay attention to because nothing was as effective as just equipping a spear, holding forward, and mashing attack.

Random Stranger posted:

[*]Chrono Cross (the first part in SquareSoft's "inferior PS1 sequels that are only tangentially related to the beloved original game" duology)

I think most of the criticism heaped on Chrono Cross is warranted (not what anyone wanted in a sequel, poor pacing, bad at telling its own story, a largely generic and interchangeable cast of characters), but I still love it to death. It is gorgeous and completely nuts. There is nothing in Chrono Trigger as great as the whole Dead Sea/Tower of Geddon segment of Cross, but most of Cross is definitely long stretches of very atmospheric tedium punctuated by moments of staggering brilliance.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 17, 2016

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I believe it's identical to the original PlayStation release, so yeah, all the bugs are in place.

For the PSN sale I recommend the first two Suikodens, the Mega Man Legends games, Vagrant Story, and Resident Evil 2. All pretty good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I might have liked Legend of Mana if it had some semblance of challenge. There were a lot of neat combat mechanics you had no reason to pay attention to because nothing was as effective as just equipping a spear, holding forward, and mashing attack.

I'll take that over the mess that the other Seiken Densetsu games are. Like SoM is too simple for its own good, there's nothing under that game's hood but pretty graphics and easily top 10 video game soundtracks. SK3 smartly let you tailor your difficulty (once you realize that's how the characters are set up) but combat is still pretty banal and the deeper you dive into its systems the more you find things that don't work as advertised or literally don't work.

All around LoM is just a better designed game. I agree there's little challenge, there should've been a hard mode out the gate, but it's the problem of a lot of open world games where the amount of fun you get is how much you engage with what it has to offer and I rang it dry. And it's so rare to see a non-linear Japanese roleplaying game but they all do unique things no one else does like Steambot Chronicles.

e: It was really disheartening playing Sword of Mana because LoM is charming and funny but Sword may be the most boring game ever. I can't even blame it on being a remake of a GB game, that had some goddamn drama in its monochrome screen. Sword was just dry as the Sahara ooh boy.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 17, 2016

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I fixed my new Virtual Boy's ribbon/PCB separation issue all by myself, using the "baking" method! :dance:

It shouldn't have taken me four hours to do, but it's done now so yay

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kid Fenris posted:

I believe it's identical to the original PlayStation release, so yeah, all the bugs are in place.

For the PSN sale I recommend the first two Suikodens, the Mega Man Legends games, Vagrant Story, and Resident Evil 2. All pretty good.

You all have zero excuse for not getting at least Mega Man Legends 2. It's that drat good, especially for all of a few bucks, and deserves far more love :toughguy:.

Especially as we'll never ever get MML3 :cripes:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I fixed my new Virtual Boy's ribbon/PCB separation issue all by myself, using the "baking" method! :dance:

It shouldn't have taken me four hours to do, but it's done now so yay

I have 3 VBs sitting in a closet, dead from that. Please, teach me your ways

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

And it's so rare to see a non-linear Japanese roleplaying game

Akitoshi Kawazu makes pretty much nothing but non-linear JRPGs, so if you like Legend of Mana's bullshit, go play the SaGa games, Last Remnant, etc.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Just in case anybody was looking for a supergun, I just stumbled across this on ebay when looking for something else and it looks like the best deal out there, absolutely destroys the vogatek things which used to be the leaders in cheap superguns:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152257119363

It has just about everything you need to properly play arcade boards, headers to use ATX power (and added -5V) or an arcade power supply, individual RGB brightness pots and an auto brightness mode, neo-geo HD-15 controller ports and screw terminals to make your own controller, built in autofire, built in audio attenuation/RCA out, built in voltmeter etc etc. I don't think I've ever seen a mass produced supergun this cheap and this full featured and if I didn't already have a sigma I'd be all over this thing.

e: they have an even cheaper one that looks nearly as good: http://www.ebay.com/itm/152235391790 disregard this, it doesn't have brightness controls which is pretty essential

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 17, 2016

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I have 3 VBs sitting in a closet, dead from that. Please, teach me your ways

How dead? I followed this guide:

http://www.projectvb.com/displayfix.html

I preheated to 200, stuck in the ribbon as instructed until the ribbon was close-to-flat (took about 2 minutes). Then I picked it up, rubbed my thumbs on the contacts, and used packing tape (erroneously referred to as masking tape) to reinforce. I had to do this a number of times, as it's an imprecise fix. But it DID eventually work.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Akitoshi Kawazu makes pretty much nothing but non-linear JRPGs, so if you like Legend of Mana's bullshit, go play the SaGa games, Last Remnant, etc.

Last Remnant is definitely on my long list of poo poo to play although the SaGa series I'm hesitant on. But the ps1 had the best experimental RPGs before everyone settled into a winning formula on ps2 which in turn killed some of my favorites. Like Musashi Samurai Legend is pretty high up there on the list of "the boringest videogame."

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I got the RGB scart cables from Retrogamingcables for my PAL SNES, connected to a Bang & Olufsen MX7000 CRT.

I won't bother you with blurry iphone pictures of a CRT screen, and instead just say it's good.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

d0s posted:

Just in case anybody was looking for a supergun, I just stumbled across this on ebay when looking for something else and it looks like the best deal out there, absolutely destroys the vogatek things which used to be the leaders in cheap superguns:

It has just about everything you need to properly play arcade boards, headers to use ATX power (and added -5V) or an arcade power supply, individual RGB brightness pots and an auto brightness mode, neo-geo HD-15 controller ports and screw terminals to make your own controller, built in autofire, built in audio attenuation/RCA out, built in voltmeter etc etc. I don't think I've ever seen a mass produced supergun this cheap and this full featured and if I didn't already have a sigma I'd be all over this thing.

e: they have an even cheaper one that looks nearly as good: http://www.ebay.com/itm/152235391790 disregard this, it doesn't have brightness controls which is pretty essential

Thanks for the link. This looks pretty great. I'm really considering getting it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

al-azad posted:

I'll take that over the mess that the other Seiken Densetsu games are. Like SoM is too simple for its own good, there's nothing under that game's hood but pretty graphics and easily top 10 video game soundtracks. SK3 smartly let you tailor your difficulty (once you realize that's how the characters are set up) but combat is still pretty banal and the deeper you dive into its systems the more you find things that don't work as advertised or literally don't work.

All around LoM is just a better designed game. I agree there's little challenge, there should've been a hard mode out the gate, but it's the problem of a lot of open world games where the amount of fun you get is how much you engage with what it has to offer and I rang it dry. And it's so rare to see a non-linear Japanese roleplaying game but they all do unique things no one else does like Steambot Chronicles.

e: It was really disheartening playing Sword of Mana because LoM is charming and funny but Sword may be the most boring game ever. I can't even blame it on being a remake of a GB game, that had some goddamn drama in its monochrome screen. Sword was just dry as the Sahara ooh boy.

I'd rather be forced to play Seiken Densetsu 3 in Japanese than LoM, to be honest

Will agree that Sword of Mana was an utter disappointment. I traded it in after a month 'cause I just couldn't stand looking at the cart.

I'm gearing up to play secret of evermore blind but I have to get the save battery replaced first.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you were disappointed at not traditional Mana games this is another reminder that they remade Final Fantasy Adventure as Adventures of Mana for smartphones and thankfully Vita and it is fantastic.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

fruitpunch posted:

Open up Oracle of Ages and look for broken solder joints around the chips on the board with a magnifying glass. Then reflow the busted joins (or all of them if you really feel like it). I've had it happen to two GBC games myself and I hear its common to happen to Ages and Seasons specifically too.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Saw this on local craigslist and thought of you guys :-*

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/vgm/5846837040.html

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Turbinosamente posted:

Open up Oracle of Ages and look for broken solder joints around the chips on the board with a magnifying glass. Then reflow the busted joins (or all of them if you really feel like it). I've had it happen to two GBC games myself and I hear its common to happen to Ages and Seasons specifically too.

I had a pretty interesting problem with and old Super Mario Bros. DX cart that somehow had what I assume to be the high bit of the address line busted. It'd boot, but most of the graphics were totally scrambled.

I checked it using a tool a friend wrote (a cart-swap checksum tool); the first half of the ROM was repeating twice. :pwn:

I'd be curious if something similar was happening with that cart, or in general what kind of data it'd barf out in a dumper or verifier.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RichterIX posted:

Saw this on local craigslist and thought of you guys :-*

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/vgm/5846837040.html

it's weird that thing thing that bothers me the most is the really thick control panel, the stick has like no clearance and must be uncomfortable as hell to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

d0s posted:

How much of a problem would it be to convert to S-Video or composite with this?

• Locked thread