Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Is your BIOS up-to-date, and is your monitor plugged into the video card and not the integrated graphics? Other people using those ASUS Z77 boards seemed to be able to properly disable the integrated GPU after updating their BIOS/UEFI and changing those settings you've already mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Grog posted:

Is your BIOS up-to-date, and is your monitor plugged into the video card and not the integrated graphics? Other people using those ASUS Z77 boards seemed to be able to properly disable the integrated GPU after updating their BIOS/UEFI and changing those settings you've already mentioned.

The card is definitely plugged into the 7970. It had never occurred to me my bios being out of date could be it, so I think I'm going to update my bios!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In the past, you would buy your monitor based on what your video card could deliver.

These days, it's better to decide on your monitor first, then buy the video card to drive it.

Oh poo poo, so I should revise my parts list before the Black Friday sales? For the last 10+ years Ive been building my own PC and always went GPU -> monitor and did the same this time. :ohdear:

e: OK Im sold on the BenQ GW2765HT, RX 480 or 1060 to go along with it (theyre about the same price in CAD)?

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 16, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Furnaceface posted:

Oh poo poo, so I should revise my parts list before the Black Friday sales? For the last 10+ years Ive been building my own PC and always went GPU -> monitor and did the same this time. :ohdear:

The big change now is the whole GSync vs FreeSync split: there's usually about a $200 difference between the two, and they each only work with their own brand of cards (GSync with NVidia, FreeSync with AMD). So you need to have an idea of how much you're willing to spend in total, really, and then look at how you want to spend it (monitor vs GPU). Overall you can get more bang-for-your-buck by going with FreeSync+AMD, but there are limits to how high up the performance ladder you can realistically go with AMD at the moment, and after that it's all NVidia.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I was pretty set on AMD for GPU but I have no idea where to even look at how to match up a card with a monitor. I havnt built a new rig in 6 years and admittedly Ive become quite out of touch with the whole industry (once upon a time I did this for a living, which makes not knowing this worse :v:).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Well, unless you're considering multi-GPU options, even the "flagship" 480 can't be expected to push a 4k monitor at reasonable framerates, so you can more or less forget that. 1440p is much more doable, but make sure you actually get a monitor with FreeSync. Then you've got the question of high-Hz monitors: you can find ones at 120/144/165Hz now, and they all provide some substantial benefits over standard 60Hz monitors, albeit at a price. It's also worth reading up on some reviews on the 480 that test out games you're likely to play to see if the card can even push framerates substantially over 60Hz; no point in paying for what you can't use unless you're expecting to be upgrading the video card in the next 6ish months when AMD's next gen cards drop.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah I had no intention, or budget, to even think about 4k. I was hoping to move up to 1440p but the list of FreeSync/GSync supporting monitors is both tiny and expensive, so I guess Im stuck at 1080 for the foreseeable future. I think the most GPU intensive game I play is Total War Warhammer? Maybe the new DOOM?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if this falls under buying advice. If it is, say the word and I'll head over to the parts picking megathread.

I have a Radeon 7770. It's done well enough over the years but I am thinking about upgrading. I'm using a 46" LCD TV over HDMI, and I'd be happy at 1920x1080x60 at max settings for Overwatch. I have no plans to get a 4k compatible TV or go VR. CPU is an i5 3330, 12gb DDR3 RAM. Not looking to do a whole new build.

I don't mind buying used. Anything worth looking at as an incremental upgrade, total cost no more than $150 plus or minus?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Maybe a 1050ti or used 1060

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Furnaceface posted:

Yeah I had no intention, or budget, to even think about 4k. I was hoping to move up to 1440p but the list of FreeSync/GSync supporting monitors is both tiny and expensive, so I guess Im stuck at 1080 for the foreseeable future. I think the most GPU intensive game I play is Total War Warhammer? Maybe the new DOOM?

Since I'm in a similar hole, here's what I know:

As far as freesync 1440/144Hz IPS goes, you have 3 options, all using the same panel.

Acer XF270HU has bad overdrive (ghosting) with no fix.

Asus MG279Q has to have its freesync range expanded up to 55-144 by third party software, only officially supporting up to 90Hz. This doesn't stop the monitor from popping up a warning that freesync is disabled at high refresh rates.

Pixio PX277 has an awful stand/bezel, is from a company with unknown support/QC and PWM dimming (despite claims to being flicker-free).

Cheapest I've seen open box/refurbs are $450 for the Acer, $400 for the Asus, and I've never seen one for the Pixio, but they're 390 new.

I don't know much about TN options, but gently caress TN.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
VA panels are where it's going to be at in the near future (Read: CES or thereabouts). Samsung has several very appealing VA panels on the way. (assuming they don't blow up :v:)

http://techreport.com/news/30577/upcoming-samsung-cf791-is-a-high-contrast-freesync-ultrawide

24-and 27-inch variants in with slightly more gaming-oriented specs are touted to come in at around $400 and $500 USD, respectively.

https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-cf791/preview/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 16, 2016

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

SwissArmyDruid posted:

VA panels are where it's going to be at in the near future (Read: CES or thereabouts). Samsung has several very appealing VA panels on the way. (assuming they don't blow up :v:)

http://techreport.com/news/30577/upcoming-samsung-cf791-is-a-high-contrast-freesync-ultrawide

* 21:9 curved
* 1440p
* 4ms response time
* 3000:1 contrast ratio
* VA panel
* 125% sRGB
* VESA mount
* 100Hz Freesync (!!!!!) over DP _and_ HDMI

For like, a thousand bucks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sorry, I didn't get the edit done fast enough before you quoted. I tacked on an extra link after I realized the techreport article didn't talk about the two smaller (and more affordable) brothers.

edit: I still expect VA market share to expand and finally fill in that gap between IPS and TN panels, in the next few years with variable refresh rates, though.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 16, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I use the first samsung 34" ultrawide with a VA panel and its loving fantastic. Surprised it wasn't more popular.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sorry, I didn't get the edit done fast enough before you quoted. I tacked on an extra link after I realized the techreport article didn't talk about the two smaller (and more affordable) brothers.

edit: I still expect VA market share to expand and finally fill in that gap between IPS and TN panels, in the next few years with variable refresh rates, though.

The small ones are neat, but they're 1080p.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Don't forget that this model has one of the most questionable QC. Knowing this, I still played the pixel lottery, got a display with 11 dead pixels and a major backlight-bleed. I was lucky to have enough dead pixels to get covered by their pixel-policy, and getting replacement. So if you're gonna buy one of these, get it from a place with a good return policy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The PNY GTX 1060 6GB is on sale at Newegg right now for $240 — comes with a $20 MIR to bring it down to $220. If you have an AMEX or Bluebird card, you can get a $25 statement credit with their current Newegg offer to bring the total down to $195 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133631&cm_re=PNY_1060_6GB-_-14-133-631-_-Product

Comes with a lifetime warranty too. Sale ends Monday :)

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Don Lapre posted:

Maybe a 1050ti or used 1060

Don't think a 1050 Ti makes sense right now given current RX 470 pricing.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Is there any reason to buy more than an rx 470 for 1080p@60hz?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I don't think a 470 will get you 60FPS in every game at 1080 on Ultra. Plus, you know, games in the future.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Depending on the games you're playing, if you want high settings and/or you're fussy about staying fairly close to 60fps, a 470 is a bit weak. If you're willing to use lower settings or you play less demanding games it is probably fine. For example the card is only doing 44fps in Witcher 3 at 1080 and 35fps in Crysis 3 at 1080 in this review: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/RX_470_STRIX_OC/21.html

So for games like that you'd likely be turning down to low-medium settings to get it smooth. Since those are average framerates, I'm sure it dips/stutters lower sometimes.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Col.Kiwi posted:

Depending on the games you're playing, if you want high settings and/or you're fussy about staying fairly close to 60fps, a 470 is a bit weak. If you're willing to use lower settings or you play less demanding games it is probably fine. For example the card is only doing 44fps in Witcher 3 at 1080 and 35fps in Crysis 3 at 1080 in this review: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/RX_470_STRIX_OC/21.html

So for games like that you'd likely be turning down to low-medium settings to get it smooth. Since those are average framerates, I'm sure it dips/stutters lower sometimes.

The review doesn't say whether or not hair works was enabled/disabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siVrYGJpAck

I guess a better question would have been: is there any foreseeable need for more than 4gb of VRAM at 1080p@60fps.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
It's easy enough to miss but it actually says they turned it off. " In the interest of neutrality, we ran the game with HairWorks disabled." On the page I linked.

The 4GB question is a good one, really I guess nobody knows for sure. I personally feel like a GPU like that just isn't going to be powerful enough to ever actually take real advantage of more than 4GB and I would judge it largely by the benchmarks for games that are available now. Seems like it is mostly just the really eye candy heavy games where you'd have to turn settings down so if you don't mind the idea of turning down settings on more new games as time goes on, I think it's a reasonable choice.

edit: just noticed in the video you linked that most settings are set to high rather than ultra, not even down to medium or anything. The review I linked said they use max settings other than where specified (ie they specified hairworks off.) Goes to show games like that can still look awfully nice on not-maximum settings

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do we have any way to measure how many AMD GPUs are being used for cryptocurrency mining? I just caught up with an aquaintance of mine who had been dabbling in it a couple of months ago, and he's up to 13 RX 480s now. If this is playing out on a larger scale like Bitcoin mining did on AMD 6xxx GPUs, I think that it's worth advising people never to buy them used.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Peoples experiences have shown that a used 24/7 mining card isn't generally an issue. Only an issue if they were ran with poor cooling, but that's just as true for any used card no matter what it was used for.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

craig588 posted:

Peoples experiences have shown that a used 24/7 mining card isn't generally an issue. Only an issue if they were ran with poor cooling, but that's just as true for any used card no matter what it was used for.

I'm very skeptical of the custom firmware flashes that they do. I know that some of the more popular Ethereum mining custom flashes will crash if you try to play a game, but are stable for 24/7 Ethereum mining.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
GPU mining doesn't have enough power anymore to be profitable. You're looking at a profit over at least six months. For ethereum mining, it takes almost 200 days for an RX 480 to be profitable. Ethereum is also the only com that he can mine and be profitable right now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

SlayVus posted:

GPU mining doesn't have enough power anymore to be profitable. You're looking at a profit over at least six months. For ethereum mining, it takes almost 200 days for an RX 480 to be profitable. Ethereum is also the only com that he can mine and be profitable right now.

It's that bad? I've been skeptical of it because Ethereum itself seems to have serious issues, but he's been buying all of these RX480s pretty recently, and even building new Skylake PCs to be the GPU hosts. I hope the guy knows what he's doing, I just know that I wouldn't want a GPU that's had custom BIOSes written by some random dude, not a vendor, flashed on it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just make sure you get paid before you buy anything for him.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm very skeptical of the custom firmware flashes that they do. I know that some of the more popular Ethereum mining custom flashes will crash if you try to play a game, but are stable for 24/7 Ethereum mining.

That's true, I was only thinking of the people doing like datacenter scale operations where overclocking doesn't make sense because you have like 300 cards and it's not worth the time. The sort where the market gets flooded so hard when they shut down from it not being worth it anymore that it actually impacts retail prices. Some weirdo's 3 card operation or whatever is a lot less trustworthy though.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's that bad? I've been skeptical of it because Ethereum itself seems to have serious issues, but he's been buying all of these RX480s pretty recently, and even building new Skylake PCs to be the GPU hosts. I hope the guy knows what he's doing, I just know that I wouldn't want a GPU that's had custom BIOSes written by some random dude, not a vendor, flashed on it.

The custom bioses aren't exactly "written", they're basically baked in overclocking. They probably know the paths that the mining code takes and what helps it with performance the most and what it doesn't care about for stability and have the card clocked crazy high within those parameters. (I'm actually not familiar with AMD bioses, but if they're anything like Nvidia bioses there are hundreds of clock parameters you could tweak beyond the stuff you can mess with in Afterburner)

I'd be very impressed if the bioses actually had custom code though. I'd love to read up on it if it's true.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

I hope the guy knows what he's doing,

Welcome to Bitcoin. It makes otherwise knowledgeable people lose their poo poo and fling money out the window.

I was recommended a Quadro or Tesla for transcoding duty; Anyone able to recommend one around the 100-200 range that could handle 3 simultaneous 1080p transcoding streams? I'm really reluctant to invest too much into this comp as it's sole function is to run Emby.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

YouTuber posted:

I was recommended a Quadro or Tesla for transcoding duty; Anyone able to recommend one around the 100-200 range that could handle 3 simultaneous 1080p transcoding streams?

The cards with uncrippled nvenc are listed here. I think the cheapest is the Quadro K2000 at ~$315 :(

Does anyone know if AMDs consumer cards allow unlimited transcoding streams?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's called AMD VCE, and AFAIK, it is ungimped.

However, Emby doesn't appear to support it:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35779-amd-video-coding-engine-vce/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 17, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What about Quicksync? I believe that Quicksync supports at least 3 simultaneous streams and is supported by Emby.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
1440p 165hz is a rabbit hole I will never climb out of trying to fully utilize.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ColHannibal posted:

1440p 165hz is a rabbit hole I will never climb out of trying to fully utilize.

Hitting even 100 Hz is a pipe dream in most games so you might as well just go with a 21:9 and call it a day.

But I guess it all depends on your settings. I can max out Source games pretty easy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hey so is there a way to get out of NVIDIA driver software bloat? In addition to logging in to download drivers (???), i'm getting nagged about driver updates nearly weekly because this or that AAA game came out.Is it reasonable/possible to download drivers only from their website and avoid all this weird stuff?

I feel like some sorta idiot grandpa asking this, but its really odd going through this for the sake of drivers.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Uninstall Geforce Experience. No log ins, no nags, less broken games, better performance, wins all around. You lose...update nags and in home game streaming.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just uninstall geforce experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

craig588 posted:

Uninstall Geforce Experience. No log ins, no nags, less broken games, better performance, wins all around. You lose...update nags and in home game streaming.

After a substantial time has passed, can I download just the driver on the NVIDIA site, or does it come bundled with that software that ill have to uninstall again? Back when I was with ATI, they gave you an option to download the driver with no extra software or goodies.