Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's like what, 7 different saibamen?

Each Cell Jr also counts. Also Piccolo, Krillin and Tien can do the multi form technique and each of their clones can beat Radditz individually.

Also every Namekian on the planet Nameck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The coolest and goodest thing about SSJ3 is Goku's speech when he debuts it. After that it's basically "Oops, we made Buu too strong for anyone to job against him. Here's a temporary fix." Just like Mystic Gohan.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't say that buu won because he was just too strong for them or anything. mystic gohan beat himself because he's a nerd with confidence problems; ss3 gotenks beat himself because he's an idiot child. even kid buu wasn't actually stronger than ss3 goku, he just had infinite energy and goku's an idiot

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
my favorite thing about the mystic gohan name is no one knows where the gently caress it came from

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Blockhouse posted:

my favorite thing about the mystic gohan name is no one knows where the gently caress it came from

It came from a toy line I think.

edit: found it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Dude's pretty happy for looking like he's gotten his rear end kicked

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy Sigh posted:

It came from a toy line I think.

edit: found it.

Nah, Mystic Gohan was a thing from before that. It's a weird thing that has lingered around so long it got sort of adopted in various places.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

What is the actual name of that form for Gohan? Mystic? Ultimate Gohan?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vintimus Prime posted:

What is the actual name of that form for Gohan? Mystic? Ultimate Gohan?

Mystic is definitely not it, but at the same time, it's gotten a million names. "Ultimate Gohan" came from Budokai Tenkaichi, but Budokai has it as "Old Kai's Unlock Ability", Xenoverse has it as "Potential Unleashed" (which is different from the version your character gets, Unlock Potential), other material refers to him as "Super Gohan", Daizenshuu 2 gives him the title of "Mightiest Warrior"...so you know, call him whatever you want.

It's not like he'll ever be able to use that again anyways.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Mystic is obviously the best answer really.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I'm pretty sure the next time Gohan is relevant he'll have a new form anyways. Or he'll get the one Trunks just used. Or, best case scenario, Bulma and/or space magic or whatever makes the Great Saiyaman outfit grant god powers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nerd gohan will save the universe when it is revealed that the inter-dimensional tournament is actually a spelling bee

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Manatee Cannon posted:

nerd gohan will save the universe when it is revealed that the inter-dimensional tournament is actually a spelling bee

Gohan: *in charging stance* WHETHER...W...H...
*ground beneath him begins to crack*
Gohan: E...T...
*rocks begin floating*
Piccolo: This...this power...!
Gohan: H...
*Vegeta does that AAAH AAAH thing he did for like half the Cell Games*
Gohan: E...!
*lightning begins raining down*
Gohan: ...RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
*Gohan goes Super Saiyan Blue*
Gohan: WHETHEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!! IT'S OVER!!!!!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What happened to Androids 9-12. Where's their movie. Where's their dragon ball heroes expansion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

What happened to Androids 9-12. Where's their movie. Where's their dragon ball heroes expansion.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Android_9

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

That is amazing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Perfect. Outstanding. Wonderful. Yes.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh my god http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Android_8000

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The next arc is the Xenoverse/Online/Heroes crossover where Goku is flung off randomly into time and some new weirdos show up to help Vegeta fix poo poo going wrong everywhere because Kakarot is a moron.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Crabtree posted:

The next arc is the Xenoverse/Online/Heroes crossover where Goku is flung off randomly into time and some new weirdos show up to help Vegeta fix poo poo going wrong everywhere because Kakarot is a moron.

Vegeta is deeply disappointed in Time Patroller Trunks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CharlestheHammer posted:

Mystic is obviously the best answer really.

I'm partial to Ultimate, myself. I still don't know where Mystic comes from so I have to guess it's a fan-made term that became popular, while at least I know fully well where Ultimate comes from and it feels like a natural step up from Super, fitting for a form that replaces Super Saiyan entirely until Gohan lets himself go, again.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Now this is just getting silly http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Android_19000

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Oh please that's all nothing compared to this:

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Cell-X#Cell-X

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pureauthor posted:

Oh please that's all nothing compared to this:

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Cell-X#Cell-X

someone add an entry for Super Perfect Cell-X

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
I wanna see a super sad slice of life episode about future android 8 living in his lonely post-apocalyptic mountain cave.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mazreal posted:

I wanna see a super sad slice of life episode about future android 8 living in his lonely post-apocalyptic mountain cave.
It would feature random villagers and the like that would come and harass him by asking why he hasn't publicly denounced extremist violence by radical Androids.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Mystic is definitely not it, but at the same time, it's gotten a million names. "Ultimate Gohan" came from Budokai Tenkaichi, but Budokai has it as "Old Kai's Unlock Ability", Xenoverse has it as "Potential Unleashed" (which is different from the version your character gets, Unlock Potential), other material refers to him as "Super Gohan", Daizenshuu 2 gives him the title of "Mightiest Warrior"...so you know, call him whatever you want.

It's not like he'll ever be able to use that again anyways.

late but Ultimate Gohan is actually correct, since the name japanese media almost always has is Saikyo no Gohan or Saikyo no Senshi or something

the origin, though...

Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie posted:

I don't know that anyone here has the ability to really track it down and do the necessary research... because, quite frankly, it's probably impossible.

Some of my own thoughts...

Way before Psaros. I just did a lookup for the exact phrase "Mystic Gohan" on alt.fan.dragonball, and it shows up as early as May 1998; I see "Mystical Gohan" around that same timeframe in 1998. I knew it was definitely around at least almost as long as I've been online (I started my site in January 1998). Psaros didn't come around until late 1999. Additionally, Psaros primarily covered the first two syndication seasons of DBZ, following by season three, and then a pretty heavy drop-off. There would be no "Mystic" to speak of in general site content, though it could have been referenced.

I see no writing of the word "mystic" at all in Hoffman's manga summaries for volumes 40, 41, or 42 (which would have been done circa 1994).

so who loving knows

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I love random fandom poo poo that no one is certain the origin of.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man.

I've ever really ascribed to the whole "Chichi is a terrible wife and mother" thing because most of the stuff people harp on comes years later

But this thing at the end of the Saiyan saga where she leaps over her dead-for-a-year-husband who may very well be close to death AGAIN to fuss over her son, and then later gets pissy when Yajirobe rightfully points out she hasn't said but four words to him is legitimately

kind of

really awful

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Chi chi is a great mom.

Someone in that family has to be.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Chi chi is a great mom.

Someone in that family has to be.

That's also Piccolo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean.

In this case Goku died because he was trying to save their son's life from the brother he'd never heard of, who gave him the ultimatum of wiping out the human race if he wanted his kid back. When they left that day Goku assumed he'd just be having an outing with friends.

This isn't like the gross irresponsibility that comes later. It feels legitimately cruel.

EDIT - and Piccolo was the ONE WHO KIDNAPPED HIM to fight the evil marauding space pirates. Goku had no say in it and Chichi still said "it's [Goku's] fault Gohan got wrapped up in all of this!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dias posted:

That's also Piccolo.

Piccolo tries but the life of a fighter gets in the way. :(

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
When it comes to SSJ3, I feel like the transformation sequence was the highlight of the transformation and everything else was sort of a let down, including the end of the fight.

Vegeto was appreciated more highly because it was so cathartic to watch this seemingly invincible monster get facestomped by the combined power of two of the highest favorite characters in the series.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chichi jumping over goku was a joke, like goku being an idiot is in super (and kinda wasn't in z, weirdly enough). hell chichi as a character is a one note joke that got the short end of the stick because toriyama didn't know what to do with her. she could be way better than she is but no changing that now

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I know it was a joke, but... it's not a particularly well executed one. It comes off as kind of cruel.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It may be a joke, but it is a joke that is both informed by and gives insight to their characters.

Like, take another joke where Vegeta does the bingo dance in front of Beerus. It's a joke, but it's a joke precisely because it's the proud prince of the Saiyans Vegeta doing this and helps us understand his development as a person and the fact that Vegeta is scared shitless of Beerus.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
ok but get this toriyama comes from a pretty misogynistic culture that has certain stereotypes about women and mothers and this poo poo was written in the 80's and 90's.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Plus Goku gets the poo poo beat out of him all the time and Gohan was six.

Him being priority one isn't surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elfgames posted:

ok but get this toriyama comes from a pretty misogynistic culture that has certain stereotypes about women and mothers

and i've been calling db an anime this long dang

• Locked thread