Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

kastein posted:

I don't know why they didn't come with 11044AA642s from the factory. Oh wait, yes I do, 115k miles is more than the warranty period and saves us five bucks an engine on gaskets.

The strange thing is that for the early 2.5s they did make a new MLS gasket as a replacement. And then for the later ones they already have a gasket and don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

kastein posted:

Just be careful with how often you use it and how much you take. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sleep-newzzz/201102/melatonin-not-magic-bullet-sleep

(hopefully that's not a ridiculous altmed or clickbait site. It looked reasonably reputable, and doesn't make any outlandish cure-all claims. Their authors don't appear to use random credentials, either, they all seem to list as a PhD not made up abbreviations for "holistic naturopath" or other hippie crunchy evidence-free bullshit.)

One of my HS classmates is now a scientist and researcher who studies sleep. From what she's said about it I think she would agree with this article.

When it comes up, her emphasis is always that most human sleep issues are directly caused by our modern lifestyle/schedule that runs contrary to millions of years of evolution.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

wallaka posted:

So many rare napster-downloaded songs that I never found again on any network. :smith:

I was cleaning out my basement and found a CD binder from the Napster days. A ton of me and my brothers CD's along with a bunch of burned ones with music I have not been able to find again. I have yet to go through all of them, but there is a copy of the Grey Album, which is awesome. Now I just have to find something with a CD drive that actually works.....

blk posted:

Has anyone ever redone a shower with new backerboard, tray and tile? Wondering how much of this I can DIY.

Have you ever done any tile work? If the answer is no, I would not attempt it. I have never done it by myself, but helped do a bunch of showers back when I did construction. It is not easy or fun and really easy to gently caress up. I was working with Journeyman tile guys, and even then we had to rip out and start over a couple times cause something went wrong.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^gray album is still easy to download:

https://archive.org/details/DjDangerMouse-TheGreyAlbum

Don't diy tile and shower jobs if you have no experience and especially if your wife would probably prefer you to help you with the baby.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey horrible jerks GET IN ON AISS 2016 YOU JERKS

It's been up for two days and it's still on page one.

JERKS

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Adiabatic posted:

Hey horrible jerk

Guilty

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

JERKS

YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TT condolences man :glomp:

Is it just me or has eBay gone to poo poo lately? Head I bought showed up cracked, radiator I bought showed up damaged (still trying to get money back after a month), valve spring compressor didn't fit and now a stupid video game I bought on the 1st hasn't even shipped yet according to tracking info. Half my 2016 purchases have gone less than ideal, about ready to give up on eBay.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 16, 2016

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've given up on both eBay and Craigslist. It's all junk now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ebay was always poo poo. It's not too bad for retro gaming stuff yet, but you gotta watch out for crappy Chinese copies, since the molds for stuff the Dualshock 2 and the Gamecube controller are widely available, so there's a ton of inferior junk out there.

On the other hand, I've bought a couple of Buffalo Classic USB Gamepads for like ~$7 each, and they're probably higher quality than the original SNES gamepads that they're a blatantly copying.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

Add Facebook market place to that as well. Took 12+ hours to get someone to pick up a very nice oak table with 8 chairs for $50, 30+ interested by no one would come out or they wanted me to hold it.

KozmoNaut posted:

On the other hand, I've bought a couple of Buffalo Classic USB Gamepads for like ~$7 each, and they're probably higher quality than the original SNES gamepads that they're a blatantly copying.
Was looking at those for doing a Raspberry Pi emulator

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I pretty much only use ebay for buy it now purchases and its nice for that. Don't really bother with used stuff when possible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's exactly why I bought them, and they are extremely nice. I honestly can't believe I could get them at that price including shipping from japan.

I'm rocking a Bang & Olufsen MX8000 28" CRT, a PS2 and a Wii both hooked up with proper RGB cables, and a Raspberry Pi 3 with RetroPie, hooked up through a HDMI to s-video adapter (for better quality than the standard composite output).

The scaling on the Pi is not 100% accurate when using 640x480 output. I see a bit of rippling in moving backgrounds, particularly in arcade games, but it's a minor annoyance. It's probably not an issue on a HD or 4K display.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Adiabatic posted:

JERKS

We should do one where we all just send poo poo to 14in's firld. I mean, we already do that, but in a festive, organtized way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

JERKS

I'm in.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

nm posted:

We should do one where we all just send poo poo to 14in's firld. I mean, we already do that, but in a festive, organtized way.

If he's still in the field at Christmastime, things have gone pear shaped and we should probably arrange rescue

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Darchangel posted:

Stupid biodegradable plastic housing on the rearview mirror in my FC RX-7 disintegrated when I adjusted it this morning. I'm only driving the thing because my wife is driving my Crown Vic, since the clutch is slipping in her Kia.
SMH.
Annoying as hell driving to work with no inside rearview. Makes me paranoid.

I guess I can slap on one of the spare windshield mount ones I have in my parts boxes (the OEM one mounts to the roof, coincident with the dome light.)

Dude, you are now following the first rule of Italian driving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Adiabatic posted:

JERKS

I have never done an SA secret santa but I believe this year shall be my first. I'll will register before the deadline!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have never done an SA secret santa but I believe this year shall be my first. I'll will register before the deadline!

Yeah! The more, the merrier! I've actually got some junk scrap neat stuff to send out this year.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

NitroSpazzz posted:

TT condolences man :glomp:

Is it just me or has eBay gone to poo poo lately? Head I bought showed up cracked, radiator I bought showed up damaged (still trying to get money back after a month), valve spring compressor didn't fit and now a stupid video game I bought on the 1st hasn't even shipped yet according to tracking info. Half my 2016 purchases have gone less than ideal, about ready to give up on eBay.

Have you filed a claim with ebay for it being broken? as soon as you do that they will grab the cash back from the seller via paypal, and in my experience you will have no problem then getting it back to you.

I've been selling old car bits and all sorts of other stuff and sold one item that turned out to be faulty. The buyer opened a case and paypal took the money back off me even before I'd had a chance to respond.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Add Facebook market place to that as well. Took 12+ hours to get someone to pick up a very nice oak table with 8 chairs for $50, 30+ interested by no one would come out or they wanted me to hold it.

I've just ordered all the bits to build myself a gameboy zero running retropie on a pi zero (its a pi zero all built into a classic gameboy case with extra buttons added). Much of it is still on the slow boat from china but i'm gradually getting a nice box of bits together to practice my soldering on. I'm in it for about £65 so far. I'm gonna put external outputs on it so I can use it on my projector as a console too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looking at a natural gas unit heater for a 3 car garage. Any reason to look at any brands other than Modine?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tomarse posted:

Have you filed a claim with ebay for it being broken? as soon as you do that they will grab the cash back from the seller via paypal, and in my experience you will have no problem then getting it back to you.

Yeah eBay froze the funds then I had to wait for so many days for them to fail to follow up then I could ship it back. Shipped Monday and should arrive by this weekend then I'll get the cash back.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

the spyder posted:

I find ebay a valuable tool.

Mostly for checking whether the 'sale' prices on Amazon are actually cheaper than ebay's standard prices ot they've done their usual trick of bumping the price up 40%, so they can discount it 30%

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You Am I posted:

Dude, you are now following the first rule of Italian driving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0

You know, I thought of that almost immediately after it fell off!
Raul Julia is classic, there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

Mostly for checking whether the 'sale' prices on Amazon are actually cheaper than ebay's standard prices ot they've done their usual trick of bumping the price up 40%, so they can discount it 30%

Used to be you could find deals on eBay. Now it's all either Chinese, or retail price (or both.)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

spog posted:

Let me introduce you to camelcamelcamel

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seminal Flu posted:

Let me introduce you to camelcamelcamel

And use the Firefox or chrome extension for easy price checking. I use their custom price watches to get the best price on stuff that I want but don't need immediately

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ever since I discovered camelcamel I have used it for all my amazon purchases and research. Doesn't have everthing but does have most.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

slothrop posted:

YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!

GET OFF MY BACK STEEEEVE, ILL NEVER CALL YOU DAD!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

angryrobots posted:

If he's still in the field at Christmastime, things have gone pear shaped and we should probably arrange rescue

He'll be there after he gets back from FL to get the vw working.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Seminal Flu posted:

Looking at a natural gas unit heater for a 3 car garage. Any reason to look at any brands other than Modine?

Reznor is ok as well. Have them in the warehouse at work, 30+ years old, no real build quality issues.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Adiabatic posted:

JERKS

I know right?

To avoid derailing AISS, yeah we got eloped a little over a month ago, and then didn't really tell anyone for a few weeks :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kastein posted:

I know right?

To avoid derailing AISS, yeah we got eloped a little over a month ago, and then didn't really tell anyone for a few weeks :v:

That's the way to do it. Wife and I did the same. Took my mom about two years to get over it fully :v:

Got the new wheel bearing on the dakota and it seems fine.

Been chasing a weird loving CEL though. It keeps popping code 24, which is IAT. Replaced that, and it drove great...for about 30 miles, then popped again. Gonna pull that new one out after dinner and see if it's dirty already. Motor doesn't have PCV, just a filter on the valve cover...if that's dirty, could it be causing enough oil to go in the intake that it'd be loving the IAT?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Seminal Flu posted:

Go with Reznor. I've worked on both, fully torn down both, and Reznor is much higher quality. Also in 30+ years you will still be able to get parts. I toured their factory and parts warehouse in Mercer, PA a couple months ago and was really impressed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Things are looking up, sorta.

My credit union told me to :fuckoff: for abusing my courtesy pay too much (account is still open, but got a very nasty phone call today, and it'll be closed tomorrow). Can't say I blame them, I'm over $800 in the hole with them. Figured I'd be placed on ChexSystems, but I went to another CU I used to have and... nope, nothing on ChexSystems, and they were more than happy to reopen my old account. I do plan to pay the original CU back, but it's going to take a bit. Just glad I have a checking account again.. and this CU is actually pretty close. It's one I used in the past and was happy with, but they didn't have any nearby the last time I used them.

I technically have a W2 job again. It's through a staffing company, but they're trying to get me lined up doing auto parts delivery. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be working.

:10bux: an hour to start, but said it will go up significantly. It's a temp to perm setup.

I was a bit shocked to get popped with a 10 panel drug test during the goddamned interview. Most places just send you to a testing place. Nope, pee in a cup, they dip it. Told them up front I would test positive for one drug and that I had the prescription bottle in the car. I was right, they asked to see the bottle, they were happy.

But man.. the medical "insurance" offered by this place is a joke. $100 copay to see a doctor. That's more than a lot of doctor's cash rates. $300 for lab work. 70% copay for generic meds, $300 copay for ER, $500 copay for ambulance. They flat out admit their insurance doesn't come close to meeting ACA requirements, and told me if I already had a marketplace plan, I should keep it until I get hired on by whoever they place me with. It's also $20/week for their "insurance". I pay $40/mo for my $0 dr visit/$15 urgent care visit/$100 ambulance/$100 ER visit (waived if admitted)/$2 generic meds policy..

Still job hunting, but if this staffing company can at least get me placed with something for now I'll be happy. I'm getting really nervous about December's rent.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The Audi S1 is every bit as demonic in person as the Group B videos suggest

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Things are looking up, sorta.

My credit union told me to :fuckoff: for abusing my courtesy pay too much (account is still open, but got a very nasty phone call today, and it'll be closed tomorrow). Can't say I blame them, I'm over $800 in the hole with them. Figured I'd be placed on ChexSystems, but I went to another CU I used to have and... nope, nothing on ChexSystems, and they were more than happy to reopen my old account. I do plan to pay the original CU back, but it's going to take a bit. Just glad I have a checking account again.. and this CU is actually pretty close. It's one I used in the past and was happy with, but they didn't have any nearby the last time I used them.

I technically have a W2 job again. It's through a staffing company, but they're trying to get me lined up doing auto parts delivery. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be working.

:10bux: an hour to start, but said it will go up significantly. It's a temp to perm setup.

I was a bit shocked to get popped with a 10 panel drug test during the goddamned interview. Most places just send you to a testing place. Nope, pee in a cup, they dip it. Told them up front I would test positive for one drug and that I had the prescription bottle in the car. I was right, they asked to see the bottle, they were happy.

But man.. the medical "insurance" offered by this place is a joke. $100 copay to see a doctor. That's more than a lot of doctor's cash rates. $300 for lab work. 70% copay for generic meds, $300 copay for ER, $500 copay for ambulance. They flat out admit their insurance doesn't come close to meeting ACA requirements, and told me if I already had a marketplace plan, I should keep it until I get hired on by whoever they place me with. It's also $20/week for their "insurance". I pay $40/mo for my $0 dr visit/$15 urgent care visit/$100 ambulance/$100 ER visit (waived if admitted)/$2 generic meds policy..

Still job hunting, but if this staffing company can at least get me placed with something for now I'll be happy. I'm getting really nervous about December's rent.

For about three years I did parts delivery for Advance. I also worked the counters, too, but what I really enjoyed about it was delivering parts. At the worst, it was take the ticket from the printer, get everything, double check with the commercial parts pro / manager that the shop wanted the parts right then, grab stuff for other shops nearby, then go. Drove a company vehicle and everything. Got out, unloaded, they signed, maybe took back some returns, and that was it. Ran into very little poo poo, too, unless a shop was pissy about something.

Frankly, knowing a little about cars and how to work the computer to bill people out paid off in the times when there were no deliveries and kept my hours up. I'm considering going back to it in the summer when I'm not teaching for some extra cash.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Audi S1 is every bit as demonic in person as the Group B videos suggest

I've seen two in person. Yes, there is 5 demon spawn powering that thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh for gently caress's sake. Apple is publishing a $300 book of 450 pictures of *Apple products*. What. The gently caress.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/15/13635788/apple-coffee-table-book-products-images
Hey, you naval-gazing fucks, how about you crawl out of your own rear end and take a look around at what your users actually want rather than fellating yourself, before you drive all your loyal fanboys off?
I like Apple's stuff, but when they go retard, they go full retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. Apple is publishing a $300 book of 450 pictures of *Apple products*. What. The gently caress.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/15/13635788/apple-coffee-table-book-products-images
Hey, you naval-gazing fucks, how about you crawl out of your own rear end and take a look around at what your users actually want rather than fellating yourself, before you drive all your loyal fanboys off?
I like Apple's stuff, but when they go retard, they go full retard.

They are also soldering the drive to the board in the new Macbook Pro.

• Locked thread