Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That makes me happy. I donated more than I probably should have since I was worried people would forget about them. Still worth it.:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

They employ David Frum

Ta-Nehisi Coates is literally the only good thing about them and he's a doozy but even he barely writes anything for them anymore

This election broke Frum. He's still probably a republican hack but he loathes Trump.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

This is why I hate neoliberals.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BarbarianElephant posted:

Tell me what's good then. What magazines should I read?

Jacobin.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

iospace posted:

This election broke Frum. He's still probably a republican hack but he loathes Trump.
That video of him from just before the election where he looked like he hadn't shaved in a week and was practically screaming about Trump and the Russians was kind of amazing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

And yeah I already put this in the election thread but everyone needs to read this because good lord

quote:

In politics, much like anything else, victory has a thousand fathers and defeat is an orphan. A senior official from Clinton’s campaign noted that they did have a large staff presence in Michigan and Wisconsin (200 and 180 people respectively) while also stressing that one of the reasons they didn’t do more was, in part, because of psychological games they were playing with the Trump campaign. They recognized that Michigan, for example, was a vulnerable state and felt that if they could keep Trump away ― by acting overly confident about their chances ― they would win it by a small margin and with a marginal resource allocation.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

iospace posted:

The neocons all loathe Trump, they spent decades scheming over an imperial Presidency that can impose their order across the whole world and just when they're so close to their thousand-year Reich they can taste it some jerk shows up and steals their totalitarian executive branch and tosses out their supervillain plot to take over the planet without a second glance. There is no level on which they are motivated by decency, here.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

And yeah I already put this in the election thread but everyone needs to read this because good lord

this is the dumbest loving thing I have ever read

e: YOUR SUPERIOR RESOURCES ARE YOUR BIGGEST loving ADVANTAGE IN THE CAMPAIGN SDFSDFDSFL:KJDSLFKJ

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Crazy Ted posted:

:cripes:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Crazy Ted posted:

NTH DIMENSIONAL CHESS

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

NTH DIMENSIONAL CHESS
We need a new dimension for this, because 11th isn't high enough.

This was 12th-dimensional chess

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Crazy Ted posted:

We need a new dimension for this, because 11th isn't high enough.

This was 12th-dimensional chess

45th-dimensional backgammon

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I swear to loving god if there are actual, literal camps I hope I have the courage to riot until poo poo changes. loving hell.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

45th-dimensional backgammon
Astral Plane Baccarat

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

They raise a good argument: The insane thing got a case of insanity.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also if there is a Muslim registration list, then I feel like I should put my name out of it in solidarity. gently caress.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Kobayashi posted:

I swear to loving god if there are actual, literal camps I hope I have the courage to riot until poo poo changes. loving hell.

There has been an internment camp full of innocent Muslims for like 15 years now

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Turns out every single liberal moving to San Francisco didn't work out too well for electoral-college based democracy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheBigAristotle posted:

I know it's hardly original but this fucker hasn't even taken the oath yet and he's got people around him referencing the loving Japanese internment camps as precedent.

A couple co-workers of mine are still adamant that he will surround himself with good people.

:suicide:
I was playing basketball with my dad's friends and some guys I went to Catholic school with; one of them was our public high school's Class President for the Young Republicans and he was trying to assure me that Mike Pence would have learned from his mistakes of all the awful dumb evil poo poo he did in Indiana and wouldn't pursue it again. I just sighed and "I hope you are right." And I hope he is right (he isn't) for the sake of one our mutual friend's gay brother. God everyone I know in this town is conservative as gently caress. :smithicide:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Unormal posted:

Turns out every single liberal moving to San Francisco didn't work out too well for electoral-college based democracy.
It's going to end up that the entirety of Hillary's Popular Vote win and them some comes down to her margin in California.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

achillesforever6 posted:

I was playing basketball with my dad's friends and some guys I went to Catholic school with; one of them was our public high school's Class President for the Young Republicans and he was trying to assure me that Mike Pence would have learned from his mistakes of all the awful dumb evil poo poo he did in Indiana and wouldn't pursue it again. I just sighed and "I hope you are right." And I hope he is right (he isn't) for the sake of one our mutual friend's gay brother. God everyone I know in this town is conservative as gently caress. :smithicide:

What mistakes, that stuff got him the position of Vice President of the United States of America

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

he said he's gonna work with trump on stuff like improving infrastructure, etc. and will raise hell if trump doesn't keep his campaign promises

a good strategy imo

Actually it's dumb as hell

If Trump gets to enact all the good parts of his platform that help people, Trump gets the credit for those things

ZombieApostate posted:

Anybody know where you can find Democratic voter turnout for 2000 or 2004 and 2016? I'd like to see what the comparison looks like when you aren't comparing Hillary to a statistical anomaly.

Her popular vote number right now is about on par with Bush in 2004, who got 12 million more votes than he did in 2000. Incidentally, Bush in 2004 is the current record-holder for Republican popular vote, as McCain, Romney and Trump all got fewer votes than he did.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

On the one hand, I want to believe that appointing Bernie and Warren as directors of Outreach sends the message that they actually realize they screwed up and need to give the left a greater voice.

On the other hand, after getting clowned on by Obama the Republican 'rebuilding' strategy was 'eh, just wait it out' and it apparently worked, so don't be surprised if the DNC doesn't do the same.

If the DNC intended to give the left a greater voice they would probably have given Bernie a role with actual power rather than "Head of Marketing". A Director of Outreach writes fundraising emails, not policy proposals

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kobayashi posted:

How to riot: grab brick, throw.

There's also pretty good guides out there on how to neutralize poo poo like tear gas.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SeANMcBAY posted:

That makes me happy. I donated more than I probably should have since I was worried people would forget about them. Still worth it.:unsmith:

I'm really happy to have the card in my wallet. Coming up on 10 year :toot:

My wife and I decided that when the bullshit GOP supply-side tax cut goes through we are taking every dime we "save" and plowing it into the ACLU and Planned Parenthood.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

Actually it's dumb as hell

If Trump gets to enact all the good parts of his platform that help people, Trump gets the credit for those things

It's nice sometimes to imply you care more about good things happening to people than someone else getting credit for causing those good things, especially when there is zero possibility of those good things actually happening.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mustached Demon posted:

How to riot: grab brick, throw.

There's also pretty good guides out there on how to neutralize poo poo like tear gas.

Yeah but at the end of the day, I fear I'm probably too much of a pussy to actually do it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kobayashi posted:

Yeah but at the end of the day, I fear I'm probably too much of a pussy to actually do it.

Be like me, and assume you're already dead! Then, you are truly free.

Now who wants to bash the fash?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Be like me, and assume you're already dead! Then, you are truly free.

Now who wants to bash the fash?

Ahh the Jem'Hadar philosophy's solid.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kobayashi posted:

It's OK if you don't have the stomach for brick-throwing, all you have to do is stand in the same crowd as a brick-thrower and you'll be given full credit by the cops.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It's nice sometimes to imply you care more about good things happening to people than someone else getting credit for causing those good things, especially when there is zero possibility of those good things actually happening.

You know what else would be a good thing? Trump losing in 2020. And that's not gonna happen if he gets to pass the kinds of jobs and infrastructure programs that Democrats couldn't.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

You know what else would be a good thing? Trump losing in 2020. And that's not gonna happen if he gets to pass the kinds of jobs and infrastructure programs that Democrats couldn't.
Alternatively, the Dems work with him to pass the infrastructure bills and Trump brazenly steers a bunch of the money to companies he's connected to because why wouldn't he

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
His infrastructure program is just tax breaks for corporations and toll roads with some extra pipelines being built etc.. He's not gonna be like " Guess what we're gonna be building all these new bridges etc..."

What I think will happen is

Republicans won't get rid of filibuster

Trump wants to pass some ungodly spending program

Republicans wont commit to spending money or some of them do but some don't

Dems help get a infrastructure bill through

Dems filibuster and play obstructionist all through out forever and ever

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

wait have you actually started taking all those 'lol what if Trump turns out to be a good President and really does make America great again, wouldn't that be craaaaazy?' jokes seriously?

Here's what happens if Trump tries to pass the kinds of infrastructure programs Democrats couldn't: the Republicans who control congress and were opposed to those on principle even before they got tied to a guy they all hate don't fund them. Sanders and the Democrats get to look good for at least appearing to not be petulant babies who'd sabotage America's economy to advance their own political careers, at no cost, the legislative Republicans get to keep on truckin' doing absolutely nothing like usual, Trump and the whole anti-establishment uprising he represents get egg on their faces and in 2024 the Republicans nominate another Rubio-type technocrat, their base demoralized into renewed compliance.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 17, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hollismason posted:

His infrastructure program is just tax breaks for corporations and toll roads with some extra pipelines being built etc.. He's not gonna be like " Guess what we're gonna be building all these new bridges etc..."

Also apparently there are enough House reps (FREEDOM CAUCUS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) who would refuse to vote for a trillion bucks in infrastructure spending unless Trump cuts a trillion dollars elsewhere that this is a thing that likely won't even happen.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

wait have you actually started taking all those 'lol what if Trump turns out to be a good President and really does make America great again, wouldn't that be craaaaazy?' jokes seriously?

Here's what happens if Trump tries to pass the kinds of infrastructure programs Democrats couldn't: the Republicans who control congress and were opposed to those on principle even before they got tied to a guy they all hate don't fund them. Sanders and the Democrats get to look good for at least appearing to not be petulant babies who'd sabotage America's economy to advance their own political careers at no cost, the legislative Republicans get to keep on truckin' doing absolutely nothing like usual, Trump and the whole anti-establishment uprising he represents get egg on their faces and in 2024 the Republicans nominate another Rubio-type technocrat, their base demoralized into renewed compliance.

The bright beautiful hope of an America that still exists in 2024.

You know? The Nazis were only around for twelve years. I guess there's always hope.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

What worries me the most is what the red states are going to do while everyone is focusing on Trump. TX already has something called the "Women's Privacy Act" as their top priority (spoiler: it's a bathroom bill). Georgia is working on legislature to limit where women can wear burqas (They say it's just for driving, but the language is vague enough to apply to any public property). God know what else is gonna happen in the next 4 years, and we sure as poo poo know the courts won't stop it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Spaced God posted:

What worries me the most is what the red states are going to do while everyone is focusing on Trump. TX already has something called the "Women's Privacy Act" as their top priority (spoiler: it's a bathroom bill). Georgia is working on legislature to limit where women can wear burqas (They say it's just for driving, but the language is vague enough to apply to any public property). God know what else is gonna happen in the next 4 years, and we sure as poo poo know the courts won't stop it.

Banning burqas for drivers? Saudi Arabia would approve. Women shouldn't drive, after all.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

like the guys who believe in slashing social expenditures like the pope believes in God are not going to suddenly turn more fiscally liberal than the Democrats to please a RINO who's hijacked their birthright and used it to make the party look like a pack of assholes

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

Here's what actually happens:

Republicans get rid of filibuster.

Trump wants to pass a "make america great again" bill, tells congress to fill in the details.

Every insane Republican pipe dream from the past thousand years gets tacked.

Then every hateful, awful, humanity-loving rider gets added as an amendment.

Dems get rounded up into Bannon's internment camps.

A cold, lifeless Earth only warms again when the sun expands to swallow the inner solar system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hollismason posted:

I keep hearing that the plan is little more than pushing public-private partnerships to invest in infrastructure. Which means toll roads to move suburbanites around metropolitan areas, backed by federal loan guarantees.

And living in an area where such plans have been heavily pushed and have gone in holy poo poo do people goddamn loathe public private partnership toll roads.

Side note the whole Trump transition is hilarious. The constant shuffle of "X is a favorite" followed later in the day by "X has left the campaign, now Y is the favorite!" Is just amazing.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 17, 2016

• Locked thread