Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My guess is someone using the Milo Y tactic of being edgy as poo poo to say the worst things imaginable and who, when called on it, will hide behind "lol you mad! It's just a joke!"

I mostly say that because most of us on the losing side are too drat shocked and depressed to pull any lovely false flag stuff.

Anyway why would you? There are enough Trump supporters openly being awful that there is no real reason to fake up a flyer. There is a guy who has been driving around my neighborhood with a giant trump flag sticking out of his SUV. I cannot be certain it wasn't coincidence but the only two times I've seen him honk at people was when he zipped by two Hispanic-skin-toned couples walking on the sidewalk. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
People probably don't want to read this as most of the thread has been given a significant gut punch this week but remember don't mourn, organize. There is still work to be done and Texas is still on the longterm path to turn blue.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Clinton also added a significant number of votes to Obama's 2008 tally, which compared with the other states is a huge difference.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Spacebump posted:

People probably don't want to read this as most of the thread has been given a significant gut punch this week but remember don't mourn, organize. There is still work to be done and Texas is still on the longterm path to turn blue.

gently caress turning the state blue, and gently caress keeping the state red. I'm pretty fed up with both parties. :colbert:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Back Hack posted:

gently caress turning the state blue, and gently caress keeping the state red. I'm pretty fed up with both parties. :colbert:

Then pick whichever party most closely matches your beliefs and get to work on making them actually represent your interests.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

This is how I feel. I was 100% sure Clinton would win and I was prepared to sit back and let politics keep doing its thing. But now I feel like I have an obligation to step up and get involved. I'm still finishing up my degree but after I graduate and move I will get involved in my new city's local politics.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Former Michigander now residing in Fort Worth here. I've never been involved in politics in my life but I am part of the LGBTQ community and I feel horrible for not being more politically active in my life. I see how popular these shitlords on YouTube are and I think "it doesn't mean anything. We're a society of mostly good people so it will all sort itself out." And look where that got me...those shitlords were a symptom of a problem that is only going to get worse and will threaten the important people in my life.

I just don't know what to do. Politics is a huge, confusing thing. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Former Michigander now residing in Fort Worth here. I've never been involved in politics in my life but I am part of the LGBTQ community and I feel horrible for not being more politically active in my life. I see how popular these shitlords on YouTube are and I think "it doesn't mean anything. We're a society of mostly good people so it will all sort itself out." And look where that got me...those shitlords were a symptom of a problem that is only going to get worse and will threaten the important people in my life.

I just don't know what to do. Politics is a huge, confusing thing. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Find local Democratic clubs in your area (search Facebook for Tarrant County Democrats or Ft Worth Democrats maybe?) or try to contact local politicians that you respect via their Facebook page for advice. I wish I could directly point you towards a group myself but I've never worked in Ft. Worth. Maybe someone else in this thread can do a better job helping? Together, we can make this state better.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

Also check FB for upcoming anti-trump (or other causes that you care about) protests. They're a great place to meet like-minded people and the organizers will definitely be able to put you in touch with local activist groups.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Texas not wasting any time.

https://twitter.com/dominicholden/status/798284733830623237

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

citybeatnik posted:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/texas-state-university-police-looking-into-trump-vigilante-fliers/jhWSmmhNxxuTXZaQJiYhNI/

Bets on this being legit or something on the level of the people slapping up those "for white people only" stickers on minority owned businesses during SxSW to 'create discussion'?

they're legit

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/798288892030058496

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

citybeatnik posted:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/texas-state-university-police-looking-into-trump-vigilante-fliers/jhWSmmhNxxuTXZaQJiYhNI/

Bets on this being legit or something on the level of the people slapping up those "for white people only" stickers on minority owned businesses during SxSW to 'create discussion'?
A friend of mine is a professor at Texas State and he's been sharing some ugly stories coming out of there. San Marcos seems to be a hotbed.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 14, 2016

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Wikkheiser posted:

A friend of mine is a professor at Texas State and he's been sharing some ugly stories coming out of there. San Marcos seems to be a hotbed.

gently caress this good green Earth god drat it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
East Texas, y'all

http://www.ktre.com/story/33705119/city-of-nacogdoches-worker-wrongfully-turned-hydrant-on-to-dampen-trump-protesters?sf42377193=1

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Wow, perhaps you guys should leave the country of Texas?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Yes, hopefully they don't follow thru with copying NC.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/JeffreyGuterman/status/797274464102809600

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Wikkheiser posted:

Can you share a few?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Hope you guys make bail soon.

https://twitter.com/kgbt/status/798254159254474752

blue squares looks kind of defeated, stand up right, buddy, it'll be ok.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That dude in the top middle is going to be leading an army in a few years.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Wtf man why me

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dameius posted:

Can you share a few?
Two of his friends (both straight, white men) were beaten by Trump supporters. He also shared video of a young guy telling a driver in a pickup to "run over the faggots" referring to an anti-Trump protest. Same guy is presumably a student and has stood on the Quad with a "build the wall" sign.

Also a student may have hanged himself on campus the other day, but don't know if that's related to politics. Has certainly added to the darkness of the mood, though.

I went there and this has surprised me, but it makes ... some sense. Texas State is a very diverse campus but it feels a bit different from other Texas universities. It's very big and diverse but also a bit lower down the socioeconomic scale, so maybe more opportunity for racial conflict. But I dunno really.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The top-center one is the cutest communist. If the guy with the face tats is the same one I've heard about, and this is the same group I've heard about, there's been some wariness in the activist community about militant escalation.

They kind of came out of nowhere, no one had heard about them before, and they were extremely cautious about revealing information about themselves; even names. Sketchy sketchy. But I'm also just spouting off and don't know these people.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 15, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Every interaction I had with Texas state or anyone from there made it seem like extended high school

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Per Twitter, Ted Cruz is being considered for Attorney General.

I can't decide if I should be more afraid of the poo poo he'd get into in Washington or relieved at the thought that Ted Cruz would no longer be my senator.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

EwokEntourage posted:

Every interaction I had with Texas state or anyone from there made it seem like extended high school
Yeah. The journalism college is O.K., though. Produces a lot of town and city reporters.

I think half of the Express-News newsroom went there.

The geography program is what the uni is really known for though, especially since it's right there on the Balcones fault.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 16, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
well i think the various graduate programs are ok.....

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

FBS posted:

I can't decide if I should be more afraid of the poo poo he'd get into in Washington or relieved at the thought that Ted Cruz would no longer be my senator.

Step right up Senator Rick Perry. Who tries to use this as a stepping stone for President and gets owned in a future primary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgT0p_a02ig

I wish Trump would snub Cruz. Cruz getting more power/close to a President who will listen to the last thing he heard is terrifying.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 16, 2016

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I realized today that Trump is the textbook definition of 'All hat and no cattle'.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

FBS posted:

Depends on the procedure for replacing him, I suppose. If it goes to a special election, that'll be fun with how close-ish the recent election was. If it's an appointment, meh, better to let him stubble around the Senate messing things up.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Anyone here live in Dawna Dukes' district? Special election! Sheryl Cole seems best to me but I voted for her for mayor so I'm biased.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

duz posted:

Depends on the procedure for replacing him, I suppose. If it goes to a special election, that'll be fun with how close-ish the recent election was. If it's an appointment, meh, better to let him stubble around the Senate messing things up.

It's always a special election though sometimes there's a temporary appointment

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Saturday is going to be a fun day at the state capitol:

Statesman link

quote:

The long-awaited Texas African American History Memorial will be unveiled Saturday morning at a ceremony at the Capitol grounds.

Within an hour or two of that milestone celebration, however, the Capitol grounds are to become the setting for a rally planned by a White Lives Matter group, as well as a counterprotest planned by Smash Fascism Austin, according to Facebook pages for these groups.

White Lives Matter member and protest organizer Ken Reed said the group was unaware of the monument unveiling event when it planned the protest. Reed said the group aimed to protest against what it considers the unequal application of hate crime laws, but that the memorial ceremony had “nothing to do with why we’re there” and the group is “not trying to interrupt or disrupt their event.”

“We feel that the hate crime law is unfairly and unjustly applied to white folk, white people, as opposed to minorities,” Reed said. “We’re asking for equal application of the law.”

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shifty Pony posted:

Saturday is going to be a fun day at the state capitol:

Statesman link

That White Lives Matter group almost seems farcical.

As an aside, i'm in Austin. is it worth me trying to get involved with local Dem groups or are we still turboboned?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

citybeatnik posted:

As an aside, i'm in Austin. is it worth me trying to get involved with local Dem groups or are we still turboboned?

Hey man. I'm tempted to go to this if you are. And I do plan on being more involved in local Dem politics.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

VH4Ever posted:

Hey man. I'm tempted to go to this if you are. And I do plan on being more involved in local Dem politics.

I'm just not sure how useful I'd be. Everyone wants the interesting easy stuff - my skillset makes me look at Oppo research and go "you know i can do this..." - but what's really needed are natural salesmen and people out raising money or knocking on doors. Or at least that's how it appears to me.

Just need to get over the inertia i guess.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

citybeatnik posted:

I'm just not sure how useful I'd be. Everyone wants the interesting easy stuff - my skillset makes me look at Oppo research and go "you know i can do this..." - but what's really needed are natural salesmen and people out raising money or knocking on doors. Or at least that's how it appears to me.

Just need to get over the inertia i guess.

At the national level the idea is simple: we need to Tea Party the Democratic party and push all Hillary types who are not onboard with redirecting the party out of positions of leadership. Basically: follow the Bernie template and support those issues visibly, and passionately. So simply taking over party leadership, being part of the local committee, being a part of the state level mechanisms and things like that lay groundwork for what's to come.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

Tonight, 6-8:30. I'll be there. http://www.traviscountydemocrats.org/calendar/

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

VH4Ever posted:

At the national level the idea is simple: we need to Tea Party the Democratic party and push all Hillary types who are not onboard with redirecting the party out of positions of leadership. Basically: follow the Bernie template and support those issues visibly, and passionately. So simply taking over party leadership, being part of the local committee, being a part of the state level mechanisms and things like that lay groundwork for what's to come.

Eh. If we do a Rock Goon The Vote meet up or something i'll be down. Just not sure how to get my foot in the door on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

... you know what? gently caress it, i'm down. The stronger together meeting, yes? I look forward to asking the pressing political question of "do you have stairs in your house".