Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah it's like right in the name, i'm not even that techie but i figured out when i used my first router at like 14(i'm an almost old) that when something is required for the internet to get from one thing to another, that second thing "routes" it. That is the exact sentence my brain used too.

Car pet peeve: I am i very good and fair merger. If you get a car lane in front of me, even if i know you know there is a merge coming up i will let you in front no problem, i just want things to go smoothly. But if you tailgate the person in front of you just to get your car a foot past mine and expect your turn signal to magically mean you are now granted the ability to merge double with the car in front of you you can die in a fire and i will physically box you out until i feel a wreck might occur. I know it's hosed up but i don't mind people running to the end of the merge lane and getting 10 cars ahead, merge with me, no problem, you beat the system. More power to you. But i swear to god if the guy behind you tries to muscle in....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hey, The Snoo, how'd your noisy neighbor situation pan out? Did you end up getting called to testify in court? Or did duder just take off?

he was evicted without any issues from what I can tell, though he left a bunch of poo poo strewn about the property and in the grass (and left a barbecue grill to rust under the tree) :rolleyes: also like everyone else he just drove his uhaul up on the grass/sidewalk

here's hoping the next person who moves in isn't as bad!! everything else is pretty good.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Some fresh peeves from training new folks at work this week:

-Coworkers who take breaks that are way too loving long. If you're a couple minutes late, whatever, I assume you got caught up talking to someone, or eating a snack, or some poo poo. If your break takes literally TWICE as long as it should, that is obviously a huge loving issue! Don't try to sneak back in like I didn't realize I've been waiting on you for loving ever!

-People who act like they're hot poo poo when they can barely even function, and need you to repeat everything 10 times before they even begin to comprehend it. One of my new trainees spent 1/3rd of our time telling me how her last boss thought she was the best worker ever and she was DEFINITELY gonna be awesome at this job, 1/3rd asking the same loving basic questions over and over and over, and 1/3rd accusing me of being a bad teacher whenever she made a mistake, usually involving the things I had just painstakingly explained to her 5 times.

-People who act waaaaaay too comfortable and world-weary right after starting a new job. I don't understand this at all. When you're new at a job, you need to do your loving best. Not slouching around complaining about the work, taking extra-long breaks, and talking poo poo about your brand new coworkers! I get it, when that's the prevailing attitude around the workplace it's easy to get sucked into it, but it's a HUGE red flag to me if you can't even put in a decent effort for the first couple weeks.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Nettles Coterie posted:

-People who act waaaaaay too comfortable and world-weary right after starting a new job. I don't understand this at all. When you're new at a job, you need to do your loving best. Not slouching around complaining about the work, taking extra-long breaks, and talking poo poo about your brand new coworkers! I get it, when that's the prevailing attitude around the workplace it's easy to get sucked into it, but it's a HUGE red flag to me if you can't even put in a decent effort for the first couple weeks.

A few years ago I was the night shift (BOH) supervisor at a restaurant. There was a new guy one night, and that very night he asked if he could go home early. It was pretty slow, so I said okay. EVERY SINGLE DAY for the next two weeks he asked if he could go home early. I say the next two weeks because that's as long as he lasted, which was much longer than I would've liked. Ask him to clean the meat slicer, and he would wet a paper towel and quickly wipe it off. Ask him to clean the floor, and he would sweep all the dirt and debris under the grill. Ask him to clean said grill, and he would somehow burn himself on it even though it had been off for two hours. Then he'd ask to go home.
The sad part is that he was chosen for the position over a single mother. Like dude, if you don't want the job, gently caress off and let this lady who actually needs the money have it.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Tradesmen are the worst. Always. The worst. I asked my landlord to repaint my bedroom and bathroom because there's mold starting to grow due to lovely insulation and an incredibly damp, cold winter.

So finally weeks after he said he'd get his handyman to call me the dude calls me on Tuesday and says he'll come over on Wednesday to assess the situation but he can only come at 3:00pm so I leave work early and he turns up and says he's going to do the bathroom right then. I have to haul everything out of the bathroom so he can clean it and he says he'll come back Thursday (at 3:00pm again) to do the bedroom. After he finishes and leaves I realise the entire bathroom is now coated in a fine layer of aerosolised bleach because he sprayed it on the walls / ceiling to clean them but didn't put any loving dropsheets or anything down. So I scrub and mop the entire bathroom and wait for it to dry then schlep my stuff back in there.

Today (after leaving work early again) I get home and move all the stuff out of my bedroom to prevent any unpleasant bleach-related incidents only to get a phone call from the handyman at 3:05pm telling me he's been held up at another job and will come by tomorrow (at 2:00pm this time!) to do the bedroom. Like, for gently caress's sake. I know he's the lowest-bid idiot doing work for some scrooge landlord / real estate company but have some loving professionalism. Now I've got an empty bedroom and a hallway full of furniture and I'm going to have to take time off work for the third day in a row in the hope that you deign to come and do your loving job.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cyberia posted:

Tradesmen are the worst.

I had an electrician and a glazier around today to fit exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom windows. They were supposed to be here at ten, and that's when the electrician arrived, but the glazier was here at 9:30, which is actually more annoying than being late. I might not have been home, I might have been in the shower. As it was I had to skip breakfast because he needed to start in the kitchen and there's not really space for him to do his thing in there while I'm actually using stuff.

Then the glazier showed up and the first thing that happens is he warns me I might want to move stuff away from the sink because there's going to be a lot of dirt and dust. As I start to do that, he starts getting dirt and dust everywhere, so most of the stuff there got covered in it anyway. (I probably should have cleared the area ahead of time, but I didn't actually know exactly what he had to do since it was all organised by the landlord).

And then the electrician put the fans in wrong twice before looking at the instruction booklets he'd brought with him, making the whole thing take three hours.

And somehow I ended up with bits of shattered glass half way across the house from the one window the glazier replaced.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Tiggum posted:

I had an electrician and a glazier around today...

Haha, they're loving human nightmares. I had a guy install a fan in my bathroom (accessed through the bedroom) once in an old flat I lived in and I came home after (the landlord let him in) to find broken glass all over my bed. I sent the landlord an email bitching about it and pretty much got :shrug: in reply. I just don't understand why these loving imbeciles are allowed to get away with absolute minimum effort (and often well below that) day in and day out. It does my bloody head in.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tiggum posted:

Then the glazier showed up and the first thing that happens is he warns me I might want to move stuff away from the sink because there's going to be a lot of dirt and dust. As I start to do that, he starts getting dirt and dust everywhere, so most of the stuff there got covered in it anyway. (I probably should have cleared the area ahead of time, but I didn't actually know exactly what he had to do since it was all organised by the landlord).

So rather than waiting half an hour for you to move your stuff and start at the proper time, he just began working?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
In my apartment building, there's a window in the common hallway that leaks and causes the plaster wall underneath it to get wet and crumble. I've lived here for two years and have seen that wall repaired at least six times. Every single time, the wall is allowed to crumble and the plaster flakes are piled up on the floor under the window for weeks before anyone touches it. Then someone patches the leak, and a month later, the plaster is lying in pieces on the floor again.

1) There's a maintenance guy on staff and a cleaning crew who's here every day. Why it takes them weeks to clean up the plaster flakes is a mystery. The window is right by the garbage room, which is emptied twice a week, so it's not like they don't see it.

2) After 6+ times patching the leak, why can someone not figure out that what they're doing isn't working?? It's a 100-year-old brick building that used to be a school, so it's pretty solidly built, but there's clearly some structural damage to the wall that needs more repair-work than what they're giving it. All the money spent on the useless patch jobs might have paid for that work by now.

Which leads me to a big pet peeve: businesses/employers who practice false economy.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I just learned this term in another thread so I'm putting it here: jukebox musicals. Movies which are ostensibly musicals but most/all of the songs are just contemporary songs. Its especially aggravating in animated films because usually those movies have at least some element of fantasy to them, completely ruined when a character sings something you'd hear on the radio. The worst offender I've seen was The Book of Life. I started watching it on Netflix because Guillermo del Toro was involved and I thought the visual style was interesting but had to shut it off half way through because the dead mariachi skeleton guy bust out his guitar and started singing Creep by Radiohead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

yo rear end is grass posted:

So rather than waiting half an hour for you to move your stuff and start at the proper time, he just began working?

It was the electrician who was early and the glazier who made the mess, but neither of them had actually communicated to me in advance exactly what they were going to do or what sort of space they'd need to do it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That's the nice thing about being able to do those things yourself, if you can. It's more work, definitely, but it's usually cheaper and you can get it done on your schedule, without having to accommodate someone else, or any issues that might come up. Depending on your schedule, though, that still might be difficult, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gently caress smoke alarms chirping at 150 decibels when their battery is low. gently caress that stupid poo poo.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Digirat posted:

gently caress smoke alarms chirping at 150 decibels when their battery is low. gently caress that stupid poo poo.

Especially when it's in the adjoining property, that is currently unoccupied and, in fact, in the room next to your own bedroom and you don't know who the landlord is to contact them and it has been doing it for a month so far and does it every two loving minutes why won't you finally die, battery? WHY? ~~fml~~ :bang:

A bit niche: this is mainly a cookery/restaurant/food review TV show thing, but people tasting a dish that has been prepared for them and declaring it the most delicious creation ever when it has barely touched the inside of their mouths for even a microsecond. There is no way you can make that assessment with so little tastebud time! You haven't even had time to take the fork/spoon/chopsticks out, let alone the fact that you haven't even chewed yet either! It barely qualifies as a first mouthful!

It happens a bit off TV too, and I can understand that will often be people being nice but, if that's what it is, at least make it look somewhat convincing...

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It did always bother me that they usually just take a tiny bite of it and dump the rest in the trash. It would be boring to watch them clean the whole plate, but often they don't even touch the sides or anything. If I had spent an hour cooking "the best dish you've tasted in the history of the show" I'd at least like to eat the rest if nobody else is going to.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Digirat posted:

My most recent experience with this was a dying smoke alarm, so replacing the battery didn't help.

By the time we got the drat smoke alarm replaced, I was willing to give being on fire a chance.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

franco posted:

Especially when it's in the adjoining property, that is currently unoccupied and, in fact, in the room next to your own bedroom and you don't know who the landlord is to contact them and it has been doing it for a month so far and does it every two loving minutes why won't you finally die, battery? WHY? ~~fml~~ :bang:

A bit niche: this is mainly a cookery/restaurant/food review TV show thing, but people tasting a dish that has been prepared for them and declaring it the most delicious creation ever when it has barely touched the inside of their mouths for even a microsecond. There is no way you can make that assessment with so little tastebud time! You haven't even had time to take the fork/spoon/chopsticks out, let alone the fact that you haven't even chewed yet either! It barely qualifies as a first mouthful!

It happens a bit off TV too, and I can understand that will often be people being nice but, if that's what it is, at least make it look somewhat convincing...

I recently moved out of a shithole duplex, and the people upstairs had this going on from about two hours before they moved in until the day I moved out, 9 months later. We even gave them a battery and told them to replace it but that's too hard. :suicide:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hardcordion posted:

I just learned this term in another thread so I'm putting it here: jukebox musicals. Movies which are ostensibly musicals but most/all of the songs are just contemporary songs. Its especially aggravating in animated films because usually those movies have at least some element of fantasy to them, completely ruined when a character sings something you'd hear on the radio. The worst offender I've seen was The Book of Life. I started watching it on Netflix because Guillermo del Toro was involved and I thought the visual style was interesting but had to shut it off half way through because the dead mariachi skeleton guy bust out his guitar and started singing Creep by Radiohead.

One movie that did this and it bugged the poo poo out of me was Happy Feet. Otherwise very cute movie, could have been much better if they'd bother to compose original songs for it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Standby memory on Windows.

I wish I knew why huge chunks (75%+ out of my 16gig) decides to be allocated to standby. I've heard the adage that Windows will free up memory from there if it's not needed, but hahahahahaha nope, I've developed a sixth sense of just when Standby memory has decided to become the dominant form of memory on Resource Monitor. I tell Rammap to erase the standby memory, and performance is once again smooth like butter. All the talk I've ever heard about "If your memory isn't in use, you're wasting it" has never reconciled with my own experience.

e: Oh, and mobile games that, even when sound/music is disabled, pauses Podcast Addict because the app thinks it has sound priority. No, dammit.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Nov 19, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

News websites that really, really want to force you to watch their videos. You can't do anything from reading a news story or checking the score of a football game without being bombarded with a constant stream of autoplaying videos. Even when you pause it or close the popup thing, it comes back. I don't want to watch it, if I wanted to watch the video form of the story I'd turn on the drat TV.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

News websites that really, really want to force you to watch their videos. You can't do anything from reading a news story or checking the score of a football game without being bombarded with a constant stream of autoplaying videos. Even when you pause it or close the popup thing, it comes back. I don't want to watch it, if I wanted to watch the video form of the story I'd turn on the drat TV.

This is the worst when I'm on my iPad because I'm usually reading those stories while listening to music and it automatically pauses Spotify.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

it's 11:30pm and there's 7 teenagers sitting on the stairs and in the laundry room smoking weed and yelling/laughing and I want to die

I hate this noisy-rear end apartment

the people upstairs play a television really loud and the people next to us just let their small children do whatever they want

I wish we could find a quieter place but we're too poor and stupid

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I hate when people say "workout regime" instead of "workout regimen." I also hate "onesies" for footy pajamas, and "crafty" for being good at crafts instead of sly. I understand language is fluid and meanings of words change, but when people like something I've made and say I'm "crafty," the first thing I think is that they think I'm trying to sneak something past them.

It's stupid, I know, but this is the pet peeve thread.

Also, when people roll their eyes at their food if they think it tastes good. Bonus points if they point their utensil at it and go "MMMH! MH!" It doesn't make the food seem more delicious, just makes you look like a drat goober.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I hate when people say "workout regime" instead of "workout regimen." I also hate "onesies" for footy pajamas, and "crafty" for being good at crafts instead of sly. I understand language is fluid and meanings of words change, but when people like something I've made and say I'm "crafty," the first thing I think is that they think I'm trying to sneak something past them.

If it makes you feel any better I go into a minor internal rage every time someone says "sunnies" for sunglasses.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Noctone posted:

If it makes you feel any better I go into a minor internal rage every time someone says "sunnies" for sunglasses.

I'm the same way with "bennies."

Unrelated peeve: When the hippies at work don't flush the urinal to "save water." It doesn't save a drat thing, because the first thing the next person does 100% of the time is flush it so they don't have to inhale stale piss gas while they take their turn. I'm going to flush three times next time this happens just for spite.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I also hate "onesies" for footy pajamas
"Footy pyjamas" sounds like pyjamas you play football in. Or perhaps more plausibly, pyjamas in a football team's colours.

Che Delilas posted:

I'm the same way with "bennies."
What is that short for?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

$100 bill

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Noctone posted:

You would hate Australia because like, half of our slang ends in "-ies". Sunnies is a very common term here.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

$100 bill

Also slang for "benefits" which I've heard an annoying amount of times.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Also benzodiazepine. But I like bennies as the short form in this instance.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every ios update somehow makes it more awkward to just get to my music playlists

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Intoluene posted:

You would hate Australia because like, half of our slang ends in "-ies". Sunnies is a very common term here.

I think if I went to Australia I would be too preoccupied with not being killed by literally everything that lives there to be annoyed by pet peeves.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Intoluene posted:

It sounds different with an Aussie accent though. One of my friends is Australian and he could say the dumbest poo poo and it wouldn't matter because to my doofy American ears it still sounds cool.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Also, when people roll their eyes at their food if they think it tastes good. Bonus points if they point their utensil at it and go "MMMH! MH!" It doesn't make the food seem more delicious, just makes you look like a drat goober.

On that note, I love when people say crafty to refer to behavior, especially when they're talking about animals.

As mentioned before, I work in a restaurant. There are two sections; one is a fancy steakhouse, the other is a Jewish deli we bought and just... stuck in one side. Anyway, this requires me to ask every person which section they want to eat it. So, naturally, some people just point at the restaurant they want, often with this irritating impish grin on their face rather than just say, "The deli, please." My other favourite is "Uhm... FOOD," which is delivered with such an absolute stank that I always second guess myself. This is almost always the response to, "Hi, how are you today?"

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Digirat posted:

Every ios update somehow makes it more awkward to just get to my music playlists

Podcasts is a pain the arse too. Adding a podcast to the "Play next" queue is easy enough, but actually working out how to see the queue took me ages to figure out, as there doesn't seem to any sort of obvious menu option.
You have to
1) Click on the title of the currently playing file (and not the more obvious "...." menu hint next to it).
2) This opens a big title screen for the podcast, which also has a "..." menu.
3) Ignore that and click the menu to the right of the Play button, which is made of "._"s
4) This finally opens the "Up Next" screen.

Easy! :argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

cash crab posted:

On that note, I love when people say crafty to refer to behavior, especially when they're talking about animals.

As mentioned before, I work in a restaurant. There are two sections; one is a fancy steakhouse, the other is a Jewish deli we bought and just... stuck in one side. Anyway, this requires me to ask every person which section they want to eat it. So, naturally, some people just point at the restaurant they want, often with this irritating impish grin on their face rather than just say, "The deli, please." My other favourite is "Uhm... FOOD," which is delivered with such an absolute stank that I always second guess myself. This is almost always the response to, "Hi, how are you today?"

Honestly I'd be confused if I wandered into a place that had two entirely different sections if I'd never been there before. I've never seen such a thing so honestly I wouldn't even know how to respond to "which restaurant do you want to eat in", my initial response would just be "this one".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Honestly I'd be confused if I wandered into a place that had two entirely different sections if I'd never been there before. I've never seen such a thing so honestly I wouldn't even know how to respond to "which restaurant do you want to eat in", my initial response would just be "this one".

There's at least ten different Kitchen Nightmares episodes where a restaurant is actually multiple restaurants in one and Ramsey has a fit over it every time.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Noctone posted:

I think if I went to Australia I would be too preoccupied with not being killed by literally everything that lives there to be annoyed by pet peeves.

Yep, because every square foot of Australia has deadly animals on it. Nobody could possibly survive this incredibly harsh and unforgiving locale, truly.

This poo poo right here is my pet peeve. Same with the stupid convict joke Americans think they're so clever in referencing every five goddamned seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've seen a few "two in one" restaurants but it's usually out of necessity rather than both being from the same owner. Rent is expensive so a pop up restaurant will rent out space from a bigger place. It's usually just temporary though, like a year or two while they find their own space.