Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Out of Loeb's Marvel style flirting with cannibalism, only Blob was in the Ultimate Universe. The rest were all 616!

Aphrodite posted:

Sabretooth is a different species and therefore technically not a cannibal.
I had to go back and look, and the facts are:

1) Sabretooth ate Feral, who according to ROMULUS was a fellow evolved-from-dog Homo Lupus non-mutant, just like Wolverine. So that's still cannibalism!

BUT....

2) In the follow-up story, REMUS shows up to explain how her brother is full of poo poo and he's not immortal and there's no Homo Lupus species and he just tricked Wolverine into having ancient flashbacks and tricked Beast and other scientists into thinking Wolverine's DNA had dog in it and the Sabretooth that Wolverine killed that ate Feral was actually just a clone.

So I guess Sabretooth isn't a cannibal after all. You tricked us like the master planner ROMULUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
That is one convoluted plot to get someone to eat Feral. Like Cartman level plotting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I forget if Loeb had Killer Croc threaten to eat someone as a giant gator man, but Azzarello reverted him to his more human look, and confirmed he was a cannibal in Broken City.

Unrelated, but it appears Mother Panic's back up story may be doing something similar to Long Halloween. Also, Mother Panic is the Vertigo style Bat book I didn't know I wanted.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Madkal posted:

That is one convoluted plot to get someone to eat Feral. Like Cartman level plotting.
You know cannibals man, always so... missionary.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Guess who established that too?
He causes the problem and you give him poo poo and he fixes it and you give him poo poo jeez give the guy a break!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Hey so, I've been out of DC comics for a while aside from reading Batman. Have they revealed DR Manhatten's part in Rebirth/DC main line yet? Like has he interacted with anyone? I'm just really curious how they bring him into the main DCU.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's been a slow burn. The person who has interacted with Rebirth the most seems to be Ozymandias in some guise, capturing Doomsday and Tim Drake.

And Superman and son seem to have discovered the giant squid corpse on an abandoned mysterious island.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm really sorry for the dumb questions: So is the implication that the DCU is like an alternate Watchmen universe? An alternate universe? Some kinda time travel thing?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The implication, I think, is that Dr Manhattan and Ozymandias have both become aware of the DCU and one or both of them are doing some stuff behind the scenes, with an implication that Dr Manhattan stole some of their years/experiences.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm really sorry for the dumb questions: So is the implication that the DCU is like an alternate Watchmen universe? An alternate universe? Some kinda time travel thing?

The DCU is the same rebooted N52 universe, but The Watchmen have been retconned into being behind the Flashpoint birth of it, so every character and relationship change is a result of tampering rather than happenstance.
In Rebirth, things are drifting back to the way they used to be (Green Arrow and Black Canary getting together, a Superman family, etc.) which the Watchmen don't seem to dig, so Tim Drake has been captured after he started having a relationship with the new Spoiler, which was something in the old universe.

Because of a recent event called Convergence, there's the possibility of every DC era ever being accessable in an infinite multiverse, which is how the old Superman and Lois came over, but there's no indication that they'll be using any of that in what's going on.

e: Also, Wild Dog is all Wild Doggin' in Cave Carson #2, and Flippa Dippa is investigating the Rock of Eternity in the Tom Scioli backup, so everyone get on that Young Animal train for a sec and read that comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 16, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh lord, Superman #11 is possibly the...dumbest thing I've ever read...that also just so happens to be completely loving amazing. :allears:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh yeah. Now everyone reading Superman has to catch up on Tomasi/Gleason Damian comics. That's great.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 16, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Also, Wild Dog is all Wild Doggin' in Cave Carson #2, and Flippa Dippa is investigating the Rock of Eternity in the Tom Scioli backup, so everyone get on that Young Animal train for a sec and read that comic.

With Arrow and Cave Carson, I am feeling pretty confident in calling 2017* the Year of the Wild Dog!!!

*I know it's technically 2016 still but gently caress 2016. It doesn't deserve a Wild Dog.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I see that previewsworld now has an (of 6) label on Raven and DC decided to can it after only being two issues in. That's a shame

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DC comics I read this week were mostly solid:

Green Lanterns only gets better since that Red Lanterns business wrapped up. Rookie lanterns proving themselves against an entitled fame whore lantern is a perfect showdown.

Superman was, as previously noted, loving amazing.

Batman is sitting on Chekhov's Ventriloquist and I want to know what clever twist King has already. Janin's art works great for me, that spread with the pipes is an exception, not the rule.

Trinity treads mostly well-worn ground, but I'm sure younger readers will lap up Young Bruce's guilt trip more readily. Lois charging a truck at Poison Ivy is gold, though.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 17, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

I see that previewsworld now has an (of 6) label on Raven and DC decided to can it after only being two issues in. That's a shame

Pretty sure it was planned as a miniseries along with the stuff that went in the Legends of Tomorrow book.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah Raven was planned as a six issue mini, just like the Poison Ivy one. Honestly I like the mini-series idea. It means people who are fans of lower-tier characters that can't float their own monthly consistently have a chance to still see work published about their favorite.

Plus it sometimes means we get underrated hits like Sugar & Spike from Keith Giffen, which is out in trade form!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Raven's one of my favorites, so I'm happy that she gets anything

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Raven was indeed always a mini

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Superman was so much fun. Aren't the kids getting their own book soon?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kingtheninja posted:

Superman was so much fun. Aren't the kids getting their own book soon?

It's been pushed to 2017 but yes!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It's redundant but Superman remains loving amazing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh dang okay well i guess that makes me feel marginally better

Still bummed though

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Tomasi/Gleason are one of the all-time creative duos imo.

The only bad thing they've done together was that Martian Manhunter story in Brightest Day, and even then that was just kind of eh.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

It's been pushed to 2017 but yes!
It'll also be written by Tomasi, so the stuff you're seeing in the more recent Superman is a taste of what you'll get then. I think it was a smart idea to push it back, let their meeting actually play out in Superman before moving it into a solo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Philip Tan is Hellblazer's artist from issue #7.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/17/exclusive-philip-tan-takes-hellblazer-art-february/

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What happened in this week's Cyborg by the way?

I'm probably the only person still reading it at this point but there loving changed artists mid issue. I have never seen that before. It was incredibly jarring, and the second artist they switched to I just didn't care for.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

greatn posted:

I have never seen that before.

You should read Future Quest.
From superstar artist 'Doc' Shaner (Pages 1-3, 16-17)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

greatn posted:

I'm probably the only person still reading it at this point but there loving changed artists mid issue. I have never seen that before. It was incredibly jarring, and the second artist they switched to I just didn't care for.

Welcome to double shipping.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It was like watching Man of Steel and about 2/3 through it turns into Lois and Clark complete with Dean Cain.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

greatn posted:

It was like watching Man of Steel and about 2/3 through it turns into Lois and Clark complete with Dean Cain.

I would watch that

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

site posted:

I would watch that

Straight up. Terri Hatcher is the best hottest Lois.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Funny way of spelling Dana Delaney

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

As discussed elsewhere, DC has quite a few jam books where different artists jump in to help. Hell a few of the Rebirth Superman issues have had multiple artists, it's just that everyone on that book has been crazy talented so far.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

As discussed elsewhere, DC has quite a few jam books where different artists jump in to help. Hell a few of the Rebirth Superman issues have had multiple artists, it's just that everyone on that book has been crazy talented so far.
I imagine it'd feel less jarring if the stories were structured accordingly, i.e. Ms. Marvel's Civil War II tie-in arc using Adrian Alphona for the issue-opening scenes set in the past and Takeshi Miyazawa for the present-day.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Bob Harras has a demonstrated preference for going "get it out the door, if the artists can't get it done on time get more artists."

As evinced by the late '90s X-Men issues with eight different artists on a single issue.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Trinity is really good. Is everyone reading Trinity?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is anyone not? They're dumb.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lois charging at supervillains that are threatening Jon should become a reoccurring thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Bob Harras has a demonstrated preference for going "get it out the door, if the artists can't get it done on time get more artists."

As evinced by the late '90s X-Men issues with eight different artists on a single issue.

As much as I don't like jarring art styles in one comic (or issue to issue) I do prefer it to months long delays.