Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought it stopped after 1650? Heretics stick to the end.

Free stability is nice but not that great

You might be thinking of Excommunication?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Re: diplomats, it is extremely lovely the way when somebody discovers your diplomat building a spy network, they get kicked out for like 3 months or something. It would be so much nicer if you got the pop-up, but the diplomat kept doing his thing. Progress can still freeze (and the number in the outliner can turn red or something), but I shouldn't have to manually resend him.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought it stopped after 1650? Heretics stick to the end.

It used to, but maybe as far back as EU3 or something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Huh I couldn't use it in my last game were I went religious.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yashichi posted:

It works right up until January 1, 1821, and the rest of the ideas are solid, and taking the group gives you tons of stability events for free.

I've definitely lost the holy war CB long before then, from what I've read it's supposed to go away around the time that the Peace of Westphalia occurs. But you should get imperialism not long after that, which obsoletes the religious CB anyway since it can be used on anyone and has the much better "take capital" condition (vs show superiority)

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in 1667 in my current game, religious wars in HRE are resolved due to time out, no catholic/protestant war was declared, and I can declare holy war and cleansing heresy war with religious CB.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Re: diplomats, it is extremely lovely the way when somebody discovers your diplomat building a spy network, they get kicked out for like 3 months or something. It would be so much nicer if you got the pop-up, but the diplomat kept doing his thing. Progress can still freeze (and the number in the outliner can turn red or something), but I shouldn't have to manually resend him.

It used to, but maybe as far back as EU3 or something.

I think I would prefer if they brought back actual spies instead of having to do everything through diplomats.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
The cb only disables if the peace of Westphalia triggers and both you and your target are in the HRE. As long as im reading the scripting right.

prerequisites = {
is_neighbor_of = FROM
cb_on_religious_enemies = yes
religion_group = from
NOT = { has_matching_religion = FROM }
OR = {
NOT = { has_dlc = "Art of War" }
hre_religion_treaty = no
capital_scope = { is_part_of_hre = no }
FROM = { capital_scope = { is_part_of_hre = no } }
}
is_revolution_target = no
}

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I know this isn't going to last -at all- but it's still nice to see. I'm rooting for you Navarra! :haw:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I decided to throw in the towel as Great Britain in the late 1750s. My last major decision was to eat up as much of Songhai as possible. It was a brutal lesson in how painful overextension and aggressive expansion can be if you stop caring. I had rebels everywhere, everyone hated me, my trade power plummeted, my army was disintegrating... Honestly, by the time I righted the ship there wouldn't have been much time left to do anything. Overall I had a lot of fun, but I want to try a country with a different dynamic now. I might go with one of the Asian or Indian ones people recommended to me a few pages ago.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How well does the beta work with savegames? I thought adding new provinces automatically failed it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

snoremac posted:

I decided to throw in the towel as Great Britain in the late 1750s. My last major decision was to eat up as much of Songhai as possible. It was a brutal lesson in how painful overextension and aggressive expansion can be if you stop caring. I had rebels everywhere, everyone hated me, my trade power plummeted, my army was disintegrating... Honestly, by the time I righted the ship there wouldn't have been much time left to do anything. Overall I had a lot of fun, but I want to try a country with a different dynamic now. I might go with one of the Asian or Indian ones people recommended to me a few pages ago.

I'd like them to play with overextension some more, honestly. Like maybe it adds massively to revolt risk in that region but not empire wide. It's just so weird and gamey that I conquer a big swath of Africa or India or something and all of a sudden the citizens of Oxford are rising up in rage and revolt.

I mean, in practice, they don't because I pay attention to the rules and never pass 100% OE, but still....

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One thing I would appreciate is a "yearly risk of death" tooltip for generals and admirals.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fintilgin posted:

I'd like them to play with overextension some more, honestly. Like maybe it adds massively to revolt risk in that region but not empire wide. It's just so weird and gamey that I conquer a big swath of Africa or India or something and all of a sudden the citizens of Oxford are rising up in rage and revolt.

I mean, in practice, they don't because I pay attention to the rules and never pass 100% OE, but still....

Yeah 100+ OE fucks you up absurdly hard. The game doesn't really model the difficulties in administrating an extremely large land empire which have historically led such empires to collapse or at best undergo serious and prolonged instability and shifts in power, so in order to keep players and the AI from blobbing all over the world they need lot of very convincing reason to slow your roll. OE is basically the ultima ratio there. Warscore cost becomes much less of a factor as the game goes on and even a half-decent player can easily become strong enough that no coalition is a real deterrent in the late game, but getting slammed by endless separatist rebels and every nasty modifier in the game is not something you can outgrow, in fact it's worse the bigger your nation is.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Thanks to the great advice from people itt I crushed the Turks as Ethiopia. Now trying my hand at Qing -- a lot of fun, but I still haven't quite got a handle of horde combat. I realize it's pretty easy build horse and use merc infantry to siege - but harder to execute when you've got to dance in and out of terrain. Also I'm never sure whether I should be staggering my razes to maintain Horde Unity, or just getting rid of overextension -- seems like early on it's best just to mass raze and core since that's when you get net the largest MP boost and there's plenty of more land to conqueror and raze.

Sad thing is my first two attempts were really good. Ming started to collapse in the late 1400s in the first game, leaving Korea exposed, but they declared war on me and kicked my rear end with a tech advantage. Second game Ming and Korea never allied, but an early war declaration led to disaster when I got some extremely bad rolls and lost my army. Never could quite recover. Third game Ming decided to be aggressive and pushed north and well, there's no stopping them.

As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be any advantage into waiting on forming Manchu -- the new capital is ideal for developing the Renaissance. And since I'd like to try to push south to Indochina, Humanism seems like the first idea group to pick.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

How well does the beta work with savegames? I thought adding new provinces automatically failed it.

New provinces indeed mean you can't play older saves in the beta, and they won't appear in the list of save games to load by default.

Fintilgin posted:

They do really need a mechanism for this. Like once you kill off separatism, odds are you'll never see a revolt there for the rest of the game, which is just as silly. In short:

skasion posted:

The game doesn't really model the difficulties in administrating an extremely large land empire which have historically led such empires to collapse or at best undergo serious and prolonged instability and shifts in power.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there a way to see what national ideas another nation has taken?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Is there a way to see what national ideas another nation has taken?
Absolutely, just open the diplomacy window which lists their tech and stuff and simply hold your mouse cursor over the lightbulb.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Helpful picture edition

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Paradox akbar.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

They do really need a mechanism for this. Like once you kill off separatism, odds are you'll never see a revolt there for the rest of the game, which is just as silly.

I'd like to see the "core" system revised or thrown out. Like only your national culture and religion heartland provinces are truly cores and everything else is ALWAYS treated as some sort of occupied province with some level of restiveness and opportunistic revolts.

Throw out the "accepted culture" system too and have some sort of occupation policy rules that have to be set per culture. Add rules that restrict how accepting you can EVER be. Like cultures off your home continent will NEVER be able to be fully accepted, even with ideas like humanism or whatever.

I'd like to see active culture and religion changing removed too. Make it much, much harder and slower and based of the occupation policy for that religion/culture.

Overhaul the whole system from the ground up. Maybe in a sequel?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What decides whether or not your colony will have your religion and culture? Seems arbitrary to me right now

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I'd like to see the "core" system revised or thrown out. Like only your national culture and religion heartland provinces are truly cores and everything else is ALWAYS treated as some sort of occupied province with some level of restiveness and opportunistic revolts.

Throw out the "accepted culture" system too and have some sort of occupation policy rules that have to be set per culture. Add rules that restrict how accepting you can EVER be. Like cultures off your home continent will NEVER be able to be fully accepted, even with ideas like humanism or whatever.

I'd like to see active culture and religion changing removed too. Make it much, much harder and slower and based of the occupation policy for that religion/culture.

I'm against anything that stops my missionaries being :killdozer: :catholic:

If you can't turn the pope muslim or buddhist and then the Vatican into Uzbek or Thai what's the point in even starting the pain train?

Jay Rust posted:

What decides whether or not your colony will have your religion and culture? Seems arbitrary to me right now
If my memory is correct, anything new world (that creates colonial nations) becomes yours as those living there didn't have any real cultures or religions of significance. Anywhere else keeps the province's default until they get the comfy chair treatment.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

New World colonies will take your current religion and culture when they finish, same for colonial nations.

Trade Companies in Africa and Asia were recently changed to keep the original (native) culture and religion.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Free Pope Points!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Poil posted:

I'm against anything that stops my missionaries being :killdozer: :catholic:

If you can't turn the pope muslim or buddhist and then the Vatican into Uzbek or Thai what's the point in even starting the pain train?

You still could, it would just be harder and less targeted. You set your Catholic policy to "Convert: peaceful" or "Convert: persecute" instead of "Tolerate" and then your religion would spread something like institutions, from already Muslim provinces first and major port to port.

Not just a thing where you drop a magic man down twelve thousand miles from the nearest Buddhist province and 22 months later the entire population of Vienna digs the dharma.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
note that there are some old world provinces too e.g. in Siberia that don't keep their culture. It's only for trade company regions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, it's that. Trade Company provinces keep their culture and religion, anything else does not.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

You still could, it would just be harder and less targeted. You set your Catholic policy to "Convert: peaceful" or "Convert: persecute" instead of "Tolerate" and then your religion would spread something like institutions, from already Muslim provinces first and major port to port.

Not just a thing where you drop a magic man down twelve thousand miles from the nearest Buddhist province and 22 months later the entire population of Vienna digs the dharma.

Incidentally, this is pretty similar to how it works in MEIOU and taxes. You can still send missionaries, but they only flip 20-40% of a province to your state religion. Conversion is mostly based on events that slowly change your provinces, which have MTTH modifiers that radically speed up the process based on positive stability, religious ideas, etc. Even then, you'll almost always have religious minorities in a province unless you use a decision to expel them entirely, which carries massive revolt risk penalties and often triggers immediate revolts in provinces that have pops of the religion you're trying to expel.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

Jaramin posted:

Incidentally, this is pretty similar to how it works in MEIOU and taxes. You can still send missionaries, but they only flip 20-40% of a province to your state religion. Conversion is mostly based on events that slowly change your provinces, which have MTTH modifiers that radically speed up the process based on positive stability, religious ideas, etc. Even then, you'll almost always have religious minorities in a province unless you use a decision to expel them entirely, which carries massive revolt risk penalties and often triggers immediate revolts in provinces that have pops of the religion you're trying to expel.

Yeah but the issue with that is that the system gets pretty clunky (a good summary of MEIOU itself tbh). I tried played MEIOU and taxes and I found it mindnumbing and relatively unfun to deal with that aspect. Sure it's totally unrealistic to just pop a missionary and convert all of canton to Christianity, but at the same time, MEIOU made it too fiddly. I think there needs to be a balance. Religious Unity is really only there as another stumbling block to blobbing anyways, so the real core issue is making internal stability/governance systems a bit more fun than blobbing everywhere, then we can go back to things like Religion.

I personally would like to see a method where smaller nations like trade republics could expand and have their exclaves/small rich territories without having to worry about some stupid land power barrel over everything and force you to give up stuff because you aren't military based. Definitely combat should be switched up a little so that automatically stacking as much discipline as possible isn't the only realistic choice (making Discipline just reduce losses and lowering combat width rather than both reducing losses and increasing damage)

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 18, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jaramin posted:

That's technically not an M&T thing, that's a Dei Gratia thing, which I'm guessing is included with M&T.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

That's technically not an M&T thing, that's a Dei Gratia thing, which I'm guessing is included with M&T.

It's pretty much "everything, and the kitchen sink too" the Mod, so probably. It's interesting, but it does run terribly and has plenty of plain unfun garbage like the multiple tedious colonization mechanics.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The best was the patch where they changed the "coexist" colonization attitude to mean that your colonies never get attacked by natives ever. So basically the exact opposite of what those mods do.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

TTBF posted:

I was thinking of doing a Coptic Ottomans Mare Nostrum run but I realized it's been years since I changed my nation's religion without the use of events. How does that actually work nowadays?

You need to conquer at least one Coptic province from QQ or Georgia, once it is in your hands:
- Move your armies to the other side of the country
- mothball all forts in Asia
- In the income overview set the slide for Missionary funding to zero
- put a missionary on the uncored Coptic province, this should a) raise revolt risk and b) change the rebels to Coptic Zealots, verify this
- lower autonomy in the Coptic province to raise revolt risk further

This should get you a stack of Coptic rebels, allow them to occupy as much of your country as possible and then accept their demands. If you have more than 1 Coptic province and the rebels don't occupy them you can do the same Spiel on those other provinces for extra rebel stacks for a faster conversion of your country. Every province the rebels occupy will be Coptic and you wont have to manually convert those with missionaries.

Depending on what achievements you want, you should consider doing this as QQ and not Ottomans, if you eat the minors on your side quickly and get a good ally (Poland/Lithuania/Hungary/Austria) you can actually kill the Ottomans in the first 40 years of the game. Helping Alodia/Ethiopia with the Mamluks is also to your advantage as you'll get the Coptic bonuses if anyone of Coptic faith owns a center and converts it.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:getin:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hello fellow user of the best policy, weapon quality standards.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Man, nothing beats playing a Jianzhou game and watching Ming explode by 1462. I don't even know why they lost the Mandate, but their loss is my gain! Unfortunately I'm behind on Mil tech because I have a 3/1/1 ruler that refuses to die.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Hello fellow user of the best policy, weapon quality standards.

Infantry combat +20% is probably slightly better.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
4th attempt at Qing, Ming was stable so I ate all my neighbours until I got too big and Ming rivaled me, leading to a Ming-Korea war dec and 80k troops rolling in while I succumbed to debt. RIP Manchu.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

That's basically how it worked in EU II regarding cores and culture, the new system is a major improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I want to play a nation with super soldiers for once so I tried Sweden and got buttfucked by denmark and Lithuania in the independence war (guess I declared too early, also england and scotland proceeded to blockade all of one danish province and never brought over even a single regiment, gently caress you england)

Any tips for a Sweden run? Or maybe Brandenburg to Prussia is easier and gives you even better soldiers?

• Locked thread