Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
you need to check your privilege, fitting all that crap on a single desk

e: i have now decided to exclusively make stupid bell noises. this is much better than subtractive fart sounds. soon i will purchase a rompler and prove that time is in fact a circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

hug a mexican posted:

you need to check your privilege, fitting all that crap on a single desk

e: i have now decided to exclusively make stupid bell noises. this is much better than subtractive fart sounds. soon i will purchase a rompler and prove that time is in fact a circle

Volca Kick is gonna fit nicely then I'm done buying for a bit..besides a new tube...and maybe a reverb.... I should get a volca beats....hey this wooden rack for the volcas is nice....I wonder if the tb-3 suits me better....

Hail Satan.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
no i can't buy a new desk hun, i'm buying too many synths to afford one

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I've found an upside to President-Elect Trump: my wife now believes the end is near and is considering devolving into hedonistic consumption.

I'm thinking OB6, but modular might be a bit more rewarding.

A Montage is also in scope because I sat down and played with the new FM engine and I could see myself falling in love with it.

Decisions, decisions...

E: also maybe a Tempest.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

sliderule posted:

Well, I've found an upside to President-Elect Trump: my wife now believes the end is near and is considering devolving into hedonistic consumption.

That's been the attitude around my house as well. I spent like $400 at Thonk and Mouser yesterday, and my wife is opening a Baby Boden warehouse in our dining room.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Photex posted:

i'm going to need a bigger place..so I can get a bigger desk...so I can have more poo poo. :911:: the american dream.

Get your monitors up! You want em ear level (and you want to be comfortable with your ears at that height) and ideally 6+ feet apart.

Its so minor but it makes such a difference in sound. And you'll have more desk space!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

Get your monitors up! You want em ear level (and you want to be comfortable with your ears at that height) and ideally 6+ feet apart.

Its so minor but it makes such a difference in sound. And you'll have more desk space!

no.

and if you're from the post your desktop thread. :ffg:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Photex posted:

no.

and if you're from the post your desktop thread. :ffg:

He's not bullshitting you, you're getting a really inaccurate frequency response from your monitors with them that low. Near fields are meant to be at ear height or they're lying to you, basically. You'll get bass reflection off the surface of the desk if nothing else.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

He's not bullshitting you, you're getting a really inaccurate frequency response from your monitors with them that low. Near fields are meant to be at ear height or they're lying to you, basically. You'll get bass reflection off the surface of the desk if nothing else.

I know where monitors are supposed to be and I had the space to put them there I would.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sliderule posted:

I'm thinking OB6, but modular might be a bit more rewarding.

Speak to me about the OB-6. Why that in particular? I only ask this as my end game for a while has been a Prophet 12 and they're in the same bracket, why do you like the OB-6 in particular? This is for my own interest not because I think it's a bad choice per se, I just am not super hip with what makes the OB-6 so cool?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The filters, really. The KARP Odyssey and KingKorg have taught me that I really like 2 pole filters, and the state variable filter on the OB6 is more flexible than the P12's low + high-pass, IMO.

Sonically, it just does it for me. Of course I fetishize the 80s, where Oberheim was the pad king.

It's expensive for what it is: the architecture is ho-hum, but it's all analogue. It's the filters and the paint job that get me.

I traded the KingKorg away for a Polivoks, so right now my pad machine is a Yamaha EX7. It's not bad, but it's not knobby and it's not analogue. It does a few limited Oberheim impressions, but it's not inviting to program, so I kind of have a few patches that I use and I'm never inclined to experiment.

tl;dr: Those filters, that heritage, my 80s fetish.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

algebra testes posted:

Speak to me about the OB-6. Why that in particular? I only ask this as my end game for a while has been a Prophet 12 and they're in the same bracket, why do you like the OB-6 in particular? This is for my own interest not because I think it's a bad choice per se, I just am not super hip with what makes the OB-6 so cool?

The filter sounds incredible.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I haven't played with either and I'm not really in the market, but DSI filters tend to be the weak point - so hearing those got swapped on the OB-6 got my attention. (And the color scheme but)

Photex posted:

I know where monitors are supposed to be and I had the space to put them there I would.

You'd know better than I would - just sayin!

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Goddamn why is Buchla stuff so expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCuzSFtmJj8

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ozmunkeh posted:

Jesus that sounds like something out of Year Zero or the Social Network soundtrack.

And I love both those things. :stare:

edit:

Softube Modular is out and emulates a few Doepfer modules. Here's my hot take: I'm not M Geddes Gengras. :saddowns:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 15, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've been looking at a Waldorf Blofeld as a route to wavetable synthesis. Demos all sound great, but is there anything I should be wary of? The manual has some hilarious mistakes, does the actual hardware?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

sliderule posted:

I've been looking at a Waldorf Blofeld as a route to wavetable synthesis. Demos all sound great, but is there anything I should be wary of? The manual has some hilarious mistakes, does the actual hardware?
Most reported problem is that on some units the encoders go to poo poo and become all jumpy and erratic. They've been unable to narrow that down to years or production batches or whatever, afaik. If you're buying second hand, look out for that. There's a replacement kit you can order from Waldorf and solder in yourself for 25€, if you can score one that exhibits this behaviour for ultra cheap or something.

Haven't had any problems myself and I'm definitely not alone with that, but yeah, the topic regularly comes up in the blofeld facebook group.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
wishing i had money for some real life physical synths but im too basic to know how to use them

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

ozmunkeh posted:

cuz they waste all their time on 2 (3?) connectors instead of using 1'conector and interchangeable signals like a good synth :colbert:

(just traded for a euro ssg and am so hype for serge today)

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

ArfJason posted:

wishing i had money for some real life physical synths but im too basic to know how to use them

if you're just getting started i'd say get some used volcas since they go for like $80 these days, make fart noises, get bored, get a microbrute, make cooler fart noises, get more bored, get a minilogue, make polyphonic fart pads and realise you loving hate the clicking envelope and go out and buy a dave smith prophet 69 for $2000 and then probably kill yourself i guess

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

hug a mexican posted:

if you're just getting started i'd say get some used volcas since they go for like $80 these days, make fart noises, get bored, get a microbrute, make cooler fart noises, get more bored, get a minilogue, make polyphonic fart pads and realise you loving hate the clicking envelope and go out and buy a dave smith prophet 69 for $2000 and then probably kill yourself i guess

This is a good way to go. Also if you have any soldering skills you can make some pretty cheap fartboxes that are fun to play around with. If you're interested in dipping your toes, there's not much reason to buy stuff new otherwise.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Speaking of the clicking envelope has korg mentioned whether its being worked on via firmware or is it a hardware gently caress up :ohdear:

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
some guy somewhere got a reply wrt minilogue click from korg, stating basically "it's by design" and nobody is quite sure whether it actually IS supposed to be a faithful recreation of what the korg design team deems appropriate analog synth circuit behavior, or whether it is just a silly support excuse for a hardware issue

since i could swear i still heard the click sometimes in some monologue demo, and since my history with the mono*-stuff was being upset about clicks, i'm going to assume it's a conscious design decision for whatever stupid korg reason (further reading on stupid korg reasons: the volca fm not accepting velocity through midi JUST CUZ)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man since I got into this stuff last summer I've got close to a grand in synth hardware here now and if I had to be honest I'd have to say the best stuff I make is done in Caustic on a hand-me-down Kindle Fire on my commute. Kinda sobering.

I'm aware that's not a huge investment in the grand scheme of things, just saying.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

This is a good way to go. Also if you have any soldering skills you can make some pretty cheap fartboxes that are fun to play around with. If you're interested in dipping your toes, there's not much reason to buy stuff new otherwise.

I guess i know how to solder, but i have no idea about components such as oscillators knobs and switches, and whether or not ill need any logic gates which i assume i will. Would absolutely love to build myself a simple synth, but dont know how id be supposed to start.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Guess thats what google is for. Hell i could even make it modular and keep adding to it over time?? The dream is real, but i have no idea how the hell id even manage to do filters or envelopes

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
i think the simplest chirpy poo poo oscillator you can build is a CMOS hex inverter + a pot, an out jack, and some caps & resistors a cap

the guy that made this pic had a whole page dedicated to variations on cheap cmos-droneboxes but his site went down and has been "coming back up" since time immemorial by now (so like two years in not internet time)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ArfJason posted:

I guess i know how to solder, but i have no idea about components such as oscillators knobs and switches, and whether or not ill need any logic gates which i assume i will. Would absolutely love to build myself a simple synth, but dont know how id be supposed to start.

There's a handful of kits out there that will have all the necessary components and everything packaged together too, so you wouldn't need to know anything about electronics per se, you'd basically just need to solder components on to a PCB based on a schematic. I did that with a Groovesizer Red, and currently that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head but I know there's a ton out there. Music from Outer Space is a good resource if you want to dip your toes into sourcing and designing circuits yourself, it's got some good boxes to learn on.

That said, kit synths tend to be much more robot farty than something you don't have to cobble together yourself.

And yeah, there's whole modular systems (like Blacet) where you build the modules yourself, which usually results in at least marginally lower prices than comparable stuff. There's also a lot of Eurorack manufacturers that offer their modules in kit form. Synthrotek and Bastl jump to mind, though I know there's tons. Modular is a whole other animal than a fixed-architecture synth, though, and I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner unless you have a shitload of money to burn. I would consider myself very not-a-beginner when it comes to synthesis and I'm still uncertain whether I want to hold onto and expand my current modular setup.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

ArfJason posted:

Guess thats what google is for. Hell i could even make it modular and keep adding to it over time?? The dream is real, but i have no idea how the hell id even manage to do filters or envelopes

if you want to diy, go modular
youll have much smaller circuits to work with individually, so troubleshooting should be easier, and you have a big community to draw on and, with practice, to sell to! plus of course modular is better :colbert:

im getting a random source ssg and 4ms atoner in trades this week; good diy skills pay the bills!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man since I got into this stuff last summer I've got close to a grand in synth hardware here now and if I had to be honest I'd have to say the best stuff I make is done in Caustic on a hand-me-down Kindle Fire on my commute. Kinda sobering.

I'm aware that's not a huge investment in the grand scheme of things, just saying.

Take, like, 3 months' worth of private lessons. Take piano lessons or really whatever instrument you want. If you feel like trying something new and totally unrelated to synthesis, do that.

No matter where you are skillwise, just find a teacher that can challenge you and pay them $50 a week for 12 weeks. It will totally breathe new life into how you work with your gear.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Solid advice -- I'm highly looking forward to being done with grad school and having the time for piano lessons.

So Math fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 17, 2016

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

So Math posted:

Solid advice -- I'm highly looking forward to being done with grad school and having the time for piano lessons.

yes this is a thing that happens once you graduate, you suddenly have time for things. never again will you feel the yoke of barely squeezing in fifteen minutes of robot farts before falling asleep on the toilet

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Cheap modular?

Gosh, I hope it's good:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/562102529/ae-modular-a-modular-synthesizer-for-everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h6tZR8MvTU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Someone give me a reason not to cancel my backordered Korg Kick and preorder a Micromonsta

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
the name "micromonsta" is only a tick above "beat thang" or "fizmo" and surely you've got a sliver of selfrespect left despite acute synthesis poisoning

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Looking at that Micromonsta and all I can think of is that it costs more than a second hand Blofeld here. Really, at half the price it would be very attractive.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Looking at that Micromonsta and all I can think of is that it costs more than a second hand Blofeld here. Really, at half the price it would be very attractive.

Where are you finding Blofeld's for $270? Living in Rhode Island seems to blow I haven't been able to find a local shop that carries anything of interest :/

Photex fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 18, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Photex posted:

Where are you finding Blofeld's for $270? Living in Rhode Island seems to blow I haven't been able to find a local shop that carries anything of interest :/
Micromonsta displayed as 303€ for me, which is an acceptable price for a desktop Blofeld if it has the sample license installed. I've seen 225-275€ Blofelds regularly. Bought mine for 200€ here in Belgium and I suppose the situation in Germany and the countries surrounding it is similar.

I guess crossing an ocean costs money both ways.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Micromonsta displayed as 303€ for me, which is an acceptable price for a desktop Blofeld if it has the sample license installed. I've seen 225-275€ Blofelds regularly. Bought mine for 200€ here in Belgium and I suppose the situation in Germany and the countries surrounding it is similar.

I guess crossing an ocean costs money both ways.

yeahe Blofeld's i'm seeing regularly at 400ish used vs Micromonsta $270 new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I got one from Guitar center online about a year ago for $300 with SL installed.