Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

coathat posted:

World Trigger is mind numbingly boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

skullhead tethyis posted:

man, don't want to sound like an insurance company but a preexisting condition is a preexisting condition, and intelligence in comic writing does not invoke the curse of long hiatuses

more of a thing to say that comics already have a breakneck pace of production which eventually takes its toll

oh god .. break-neck i'm so sorry

american spotted

lol your healthcare loving sucks

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
world trigger has tons of interesting little details stuck in an incredibly boring story

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bleach was cancelled? I mean I dumped it post sexy Aizen being owned but that's unexpected.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
Just this august actually,
it had a long wind down though, the final story arc lasted almost four years

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

EmmyOk posted:

Bleach was cancelled? I mean I dumped it post sexy Aizen being owned but that's unexpected.

They didn't full stop end it though. They told Kubo "You have # issues left, finish your story in that amount of time."

It ended super abruptly and it showed and it really needed to end. He just completely lost the game with Bleach.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

skullhead tethyis posted:

Just this august actually,
it had a long wind down though, the final story arc lasted almost four years

The last arc was gigantic, but it was clear that it was cancelled abruptly. The story suddenly changes gears and rushes to an ending in the last 5 chapters. There's a hilarious amount of completely unresolved plot points.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

world trigger has tons of interesting little details stuck in an incredibly boring story
The depressing thing is that it's really good when it's doing world building or anything with any actual threat or consequence. But then something like 80% of the series so far has been the goddamn slow-paced placement exam tournament stuff instead. :effort:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Asimo posted:

The depressing thing is that it's really good when it's doing world building or anything with any actual threat or consequence. But then something like 80% of the series so far has been the goddamn slow-paced placement exam tournament stuff instead. :effort:

WT still doing that tourney? I dropped it approx Ch 100+ since I got bored of keeping track of everyone's teams. I was hoping they'd already start exploring beyond the wall by now.

In a unrelated note I like the latest Blue Exorcist chapters and it's focus on Yukio's story arc. I wish we could have some omakes on their sibling relationship too.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There was a brief interlude with some actual plot, but now it's back to yet more ranking match stuff with no end in sight as setup for what's presumably more ranking battles some actual adventure. I want to like the series, the art is good and I don't mind the cast, but holy gently caress the pacing is horrible and there isn't even the wide variety of wacky powers you find in the usual shonen fighting crap to make it interesting.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
Just gearing up for the expedition, likely to happen in the next 15-20 chapters(pacing complaints noted), and for the record the creative team battles and powers that are devoid of the typical shounen fantasy power creep are major draws.
it's basically anime Xcom apocalypse and I like it.

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 17, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

World Trigger's core plot is boring (and really bizarre), but it has some of the best fights I've seen in a manga (and I personally like the characters, though that's more subjective).

edit: Recent events in Magi have been interesting (even if the way Sinbad defeated Ugo was a little contrived and confusing*). Sinbad remains a great villain, and his argument with Aladdin about changing the Rukh actually makes some sense; everyone has certain values and desires that drive their actions, so there isn't anything inherently wrong with changing them in a way that would lead to a better outcome (especially given the fact that the status quo involves Solomon's will existing in everyone).

The main issue with Sinbad's argument, in my opinion, isn't so much that he changed the Rukh, but that he changed the Rukh in the specific way he did. There are a bunch of more subtle ways to prevent war if you can control human nature itself (he just as easily could have waited for wars to start and subtly influence the leaders of the countries involved to prevent them), but at the end of the day Sinbad's actions aren't intended to help people - they're meant to satisfy his own ego (and he even admitted this a few chapters back).

I wonder why Alibaba seems unaffected by what Sinbad did. Aladdin makes sense, given his origins, but Alibaba should be a regular human being.

* Is what happened here that his Djinn decided to work in his favor and preserved some of his Rukh? Though even then it's not clear how he managed to take over David or whatever.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 17, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder why Alibaba seems unaffected by what Sinbad did. Aladdin makes sense, given his origins, but Alibaba should be a regular human being.

* Is what happened here that his Djinn decided to work in his favor and preserved some of his Rukh? Though even then it's not clear how he managed to take over David or whatever.

Presumably his mind journey through space altered him in some way.

As for the Sinbad thing, it seems that his djinn rebelled and preserved his Rukh in the great flow rather than letting it become a part of the sea. Then David extracted it and reconstituted Sinbad. I'm not sure how they were able to usurp Ugo's position as chief god, though I guess his mental instability and the illusion of Solomon that David made were a big part of it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Who recalls the name of the manga where the MC who works as a coder who dies in a car accident but is revived in a alt fantasy world where he applies his knowledge to become a god? IIRC he liked mecha figures too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alder posted:

Who recalls the name of the manga where the MC who works as a coder who dies in a car accident but is revived in a alt fantasy world where he applies his knowledge to become a god? IIRC he liked mecha figures too.

Sounds like a fairly standard LN/WN plot. Or is that :thejoke:? If you're serious, I think you might be thinking of Heavy Object.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
EDIT: No wait, thinking of the wrong series.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 17, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Sounds like a fairly standard LN/WN plot. Or is that :thejoke:? If you're serious, I think you might be thinking of Heavy Object.

No, it's not Heavy Object. The entire magic system was based off coding/CS and he learned how to control mecha.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alder posted:

No, it's not Heavy Object. The entire magic system was based off coding/CS and he learned how to control mecha.

Is it Knights and Magic, then?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The fact you literally can't tell what series it is from that description says volumes about lovely light novels.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I figure it's topical enough.

I've been struck by the desire to experience Fist of the North Star. Other than some clips over the years, I've never read or seen any of it. What's the best way to go about this? This is the manga thread so I figure the answer will be 'manga,' but I'm nonetheless curious. I did some reading and it seems like the movie is abridged and entirely different while the anime is less so but it still changes some things around; is there filler too, or is it still over-all good and faithful? Or no, stick with the manga?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Is it Knights and Magic, then?

Yep, thanks that's the series.

Asimo posted:

The fact you literally can't tell what series it is from that description says volumes about lovely light novels.

Welp, I mean not all LN are that bland. I liked KnT/Kino's Journey but that got dropped early.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
People mentioned Red Sprite and boy it must have the most obnoxious MC in shounen atm...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I've been struck by the desire to experience Fist of the North Star. Other than some clips over the years, I've never read or seen any of it. What's the best way to go about this? This is the manga thread so I figure the answer will be 'manga,' but I'm nonetheless curious. I did some reading and it seems like the movie is abridged and entirely different while the anime is less so but it still changes some things around; is there filler too, or is it still over-all good and faithful? Or no, stick with the manga?

go through one version, then the other.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Irritated Goat posted:

If it's true, it solidifies my theory that smart shounen series can't work :( Hunter x Hunter and World Trigger both go on Hiatus. One Piece, while more simple than the HxH and WT, is slowly killing Oda because the dude won't stop. "Mindless" stuff like Bleach and Naruto just moved along and finished fine. :sigh: We can't have nice battle manga :(
Oda takes a bunch of breaks now. I think it averages out to once a month he takes a week off? Maybe once every five or six weeks? But yeah, his schedule was pretty insane.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm an anime watcher for One Piece but I eagerly look forward to the Kaidou arc ending and seeing a black screen that says "Epilogue Over" because One Piece is endless.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Personal_Nirvana posted:

People mentioned Red Sprite and boy it must have the most obnoxious MC in shounen atm...

Red Sprite is cool as heck. People gonna bad mouth it like they badmouth clover but both are cool and good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

EmmyOk posted:

I'm an anime watcher for One Piece
you poor bastard

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Red Sprite is cool as heck. People gonna bad mouth it like they badmouth clover but both are cool and good.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
scanlators just released the editorial note,
which confirms world trigger's indefinite hiatus.

if you do want proof you know where to find it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Something about Red Sprite bugs me, but it's hard to put my finger on it. I almost feel like it's a little too fast-paced, to the point where I can't get invested in the characters or setting.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Captain Invictus posted:

Oda takes a bunch of breaks now. I think it averages out to once a month he takes a week off? Maybe once every five or six weeks? But yeah, his schedule was pretty insane.

Oda has always taken a ton of breaks, I dunno where the image of him being this incredible workaholic who never takes breaks off ever has come from.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnonSpore posted:

Oda has always taken a ton of breaks, I dunno where the image of him being this incredible workaholic who never takes breaks off ever has come from.

He did take breaks, but it has increased considerably since...I want to say around the timeskip?

I mean I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just that he definitely takes more than he used to, and I can't blame him.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The manga has really lovely scans.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

AnonSpore posted:

It's from an interview where he talked about his insane workaholic schedule. He was only getting like 3 hours of sleep a night. Also he famously doesn't let assistants draw anything that's moving, only static backgrounds.

I'm glad he takes regular breaks now, because I don't want him to die before he turns 40.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Didn't Oda miss a month of chapters cuz he got hospitalized for what was probably exhaustion? I remember something like that a few years ago

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yes but he still takes hella breaks

On the sliding scale of Murata (didn't take a single break over the course of Eyeshield 21's run) vs Togashi (lol) Oda is firmly in the middle

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Oda can take as many breaks as he wants to imo because it would be rad if he didn't die

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
oda started taking breaks because his son/daughter were born

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, it beats making absentee fathers the only topic he ever writes about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

no one in manga has parents