Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lets Pickle posted:

They should just make a card that costs 2 or 3 that says "activated abilities can't be activated unless they're mana abilities" and then they can also give it something funny like "1: You win the game."

Lets Pickle posted:

Actually here's a better one: An artifact that says "0: you win the game. Any player may activate this ability."

I want you all to remember this the next time you :armchair: like motherfuckers in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

The Shortest Path posted:

What MODO really needs is Desert Cube.

This looks rad.

Are there many other highly thematic cubes?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

What MODO really needs is Desert Cube.

black is unplayable in this unless it's for like 5 removal spells in your control deck, right

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

You... draft your basic lands? Twenty copies of Kindle? An endless selection of one toughness creatures to die in the desert?

What even is this?

there is a shop here in austin that makes people draft their basics. it's the most banal thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

my Warcraft guild posted:

there is a shop here in austin that makes people draft their basics. it's the most banal thing.

:wtc:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

how exactly do you play the game afterwards, with only 3 lands per deck

anglachel
May 28, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

I think he is talking about how some stores just have you go ahead and yank your basic land out of your pack along with your ad/token card.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Yeah most places I have gone to, in fact all places besides this new place I tried last friday, you remove the tip card and basic land and draft the rest. however here, you only remove the tip card. No idea why other than making the draft process take a smidge longer than it needs to.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well someone has to watch them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Yeah most places I have gone to, in fact all places besides this new place I tried last friday, you remove the tip card and basic land and draft the rest. however here, you only remove the tip card. No idea why other than making the draft process take a smidge longer than it needs to.

I mean I guess if you really want to signal you're not in a colour you can take the basic third-last pick and pass the two mediocre green cards or whatever.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

With stuff like Masterpieces, don't they replace the basic land slot? So you could end up with packs with differing numbers of cards if you drop the basic land, and that can lead to confusion at the end of the pack.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mastermind2004 posted:

With stuff like Masterpieces, don't they replace the basic land slot? So you could end up with packs with differing numbers of cards if you drop the basic land, and that can lead to confusion at the end of the pack.

Nah the inserts have always taken a common slot.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mastermind2004 posted:

A normal pack as 1 rare/mythic, 3 uncommons, 10 commons and a basic (14 actual cards plus a basic). If there's a foil or other premium card in a pack, it always replaces a common. So you get 1 rare/mythic, 1 premium card, 3 uncommons, 9 commons, and a basic (14 actual cards plus a basic).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Magic Tournament Rules say to remove the basic land and tip/token card. During Dragon's Maze, I kept having to remind players not to take out the dual land because they were so used to taking out the basic, maybe that's where your TO's habit came from? I feel like there was also one set that you had to keep the basic land in if your pack had one because not every pack did, but I'm tired and may be conflating it with Dragon's Maze or chaos drafts, where you need to keep the land in because older packs didn't replace a common with a basic and you're passing odd numbers of cards if you don't.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
You also shouldn't remove a foil basic land, which adds to the confusion.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Fate Reforged had you not taking out basics, because there were no basics in FRF packs. Unless you were drafting Russian packs, in which case there were. Some of the time.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

This list is basically unreadable on a phone. The white cards are treated as subheaders for a list of cards of other colours. Cool responsive design, wizards.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I've foolishly decided to start playing this game, and I'm watching youtube videos of games.

What is the deal with that rapid flipping through the cards? People do this poo poo over and over and over again, way past the point where they know what cards they have, and I'm just thinking, if this was a poker game, everyone would assume there is some straight up cheating.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ElGroucho posted:

I've foolishly decided to start playing this game, and I'm watching youtube videos of games.

What is the deal with that rapid flipping through the cards? People do this poo poo over and over and over again, way past the point where they know what cards they have, and I'm just thinking, if this was a poker game, everyone would assume there is some straight up cheating.

Nervous tick people develop when they get into a habit of playing against people with lots of "reveal your hand" cards, they feel that the shuffling helps their opponent forget.

After a point you just wind up doing it because you aren't doing anything else.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ElGroucho posted:

Mirrored behavior after viewing other good players doing it. Lies to themselves and others about why they do it.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Dude is at work and doesn't have someone to watch his kids, seems good....

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

...if this was a poker game, everyone would assume there is some straight up cheating.
It's pretty similar to chip shuffling in poker, if that helps.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Dr. Stab posted:

This list is basically unreadable on a phone. The white cards are treated as subheaders for a list of cards of other colours. Cool responsive design, wizards.

I really wish I could stop seeing the code behind the matrix, but my job won't let me. This is such a lazy mistake that would take almost zero effort to fix :negative:

But I guess they wouldn't be WotC if they actually hired competent developers (read: paid a competitive salary to actually attract same).

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Yeah, if you've watched competitive poker, most players shuffle and clack their chips together constantly. Card players like to fidget.

My favorite though is when people shuffle the cards in their hand on magic online purely out of habit. They're waiting for their opponent to do something and just rearranging the cards back and forth with their mouse.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Desert cube drafts with 18 to 19 cards per pack instead of the usual 15. It means that, yeah, you'll get enough lands.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fish Of Doom posted:

Yeah, if you've watched competitive poker, most players shuffle and clack their chips together constantly. Card players like to fidget.

My favorite though is when people shuffle the cards in their hand on magic online purely out of habit. They're waiting for their opponent to do something and just rearranging the cards back and forth with their mouse.

Now this I don't get.

Like, sure rearrange your poo poo to get it all nice and ordered if that's your thing. Why the gently caress are you moving that mountain from one side of the screen to another one card at a time you fidget.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

From a practical perspective, it makes sense to shuffle your hand after you draw a card to hide the information of whether the card you just played came from the top of your deck or has been sitting in your hand.

The rest of it is just a nervous fidget, though.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ElGroucho posted:

This game is played by sperglords.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Fish Of Doom posted:

Elyv posted:

From a practical perspective, it makes sense to shuffle your hand after you draw a card to hide the information of whether the card you just played came from the top of your deck or has been sitting in your hand.

The rest of it is just a nervous fidget, though.

The "shuffle so they don't know if you top decked or already had it" is pretty valid, but for me it's also useful to swap the cards around so I'm re-reading them and re-considering them. It's easy to "forget" a path to exile in your opener when there aren't any valid targets and miss the premium time to cast it, so the shuffling helps there.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone have experience with that Grixis Emerge deck LSV was streaming with on CFB the other day? It looks pretty spicy and I have most of it but I want to know if it's actually legit or just made to look good via amazing pilot.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ramos posted:

Desert cube drafts with 18 to 19 cards per pack instead of the usual 15. It means that, yeah, you'll get enough lands.

i'm not talking about desert cube, that guy said their regular drafts did it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

i'm not talking about desert cube, that guy said their regular drafts did it

What he should have said was they leave the basic in the pack for people to draft, not that they make you draft your basics.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone have experience with that Grixis Emerge deck LSV was streaming with on CFB the other day? It looks pretty spicy and I have most of it but I want to know if it's actually legit or just made to look good via amazing pilot.

It was very popular at the beginning of this standard season. The deck is great against control decks. It has a decent matchup against rw/mardu vehicles decks if you hit the right part of your deck. Matchups against GB Delirium and UW Flash are rough.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dehtraen posted:

It was very popular at the beginning of this standard season. The deck is great against control decks. It has a decent matchup against rw/mardu vehicles decks if you hit the right part of your deck. Matchups against GB Delirium and UW Flash are rough.

Really? I thought that K Return decks are good vs Delirium.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mcmagic posted:

Really? I thought that K Return decks are good vs Delirium.

Eh, just my experience, maybe I am playing the match wrong or my opponents are just significantly better than I am but I just get kalitas'd out each game, usually with Liliana or grapple recurring him whenever he is killed. People here are still on the verd. Gearhulk builds so frequently their dudes are outside k-return range

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Can someone please school me on on how to beat Ad Nauseum with affinity please. I think I manage most matches well enough but I seriously have zero idea what I should be doing with this match other than "Kill them by turn 4 (3 on the draw)" or loose.

Any sideboard suggestions would be great.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DoctorOozy posted:

Can someone please school me on on how to beat Ad Nauseum with affinity please. I think I manage most matches well enough but I seriously have zero idea what I should be doing with this match other than "Kill them by turn 4 (3 on the draw)" or loose.

Kill them by turn 3. Preferably with Inkmoth because it doesn't stop their "I can't die" spells. I don't think you really want to sideboard against them much because the deck is so redundant. Maybe a few Thoughtseizes or Stubborn Denials or something. Blood Moon I guess is ok against them but probably not good enough.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah that's a matchup that seems like a pure race where the job of any disruption you side in is to buy you a turn to kill them before they're ready.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DoctorOozy posted:

Thoughtsieze, Counters, Blood Moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Ok, seems I am trying to do what I should be doing.

There is only one guy in my region I know of that plays the deck, so I never see it in RL. On MTGO I don't see it for ages and then 1-4 two leagues in a row with wall to wall Ad_Nausiem

I swear it is my worst matchup (closely followed by Lantern Control)

• Locked thread